British Red Cross Assistant Shop Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

British Red Cross Assistant Shop Manager Reviews

Updated 10 Sep 2017

3.7
British Red Cross CEO Michael Adamson (no image)
Michael Adamson

"Difficult and very glad to be out of it !"

Former Employee - Assistant Shop Manager in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at British Red Cross part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Met some lovely people - you want 20 words - at times felt that I was doing some good for others.

Cons

There is an inherent culture of bullying The Manager of the first shop I worked in was dishonest as was her assistant. When reported, Head Office were not interested in listening let alone acting. The Manager of the second shop spoke down to me on many occasions, ignored the internal theft of a volunteers belongings and expected me to close shop every day due to his family commitments. He had no regard for mine.

Advice to Management

Choose your managers more carefully and don't just concentrate on profits

British Red Cross2017-09-10
  2. "Volunteering"

Current Employee - Assistant Shop Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at British Red Cross full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great community feel and friendship between shop colleagues. Personally I had a wonderful manager - good relationship with volunteers and was quick to bring any issues to Head Office. Flexible working hours - in our shop, you arranged shifts with your manager and colleagues. Tea and biscuits and a good chat available all day! Good training leaflets for personal health and safety.

Cons

Volunteering is unpaid. Issues raised to Head Office are not always followed up quickly or solutions are not always followed through.

Advice to Management

Visit the individual shops and set appropriate weekly/monthly income targets taking into consideration the value of items donated, collaboration with brands, number of customers, time of year etc. Give better advice/training/regulations on how to deal with customers (i.e. personal safety, stealing, conmen etc.)

British Red Cross2016-03-22