British Red Cross Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

British Red Cross Manager Reviews

Updated Oct 14, 2019

1.6
British Red Cross Chief Executive Michael Adamson (no image)
Michael Adamson

"Good place to work but decision making could be slow"

Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I worked at British Red Cross full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good at connecting staff to the work of the BRC and wider Red Cross and who we were there to support. Large organisation with opportunities for secondment and development.

Cons

Teams are quite siloed and it was sometimes hard to cut across this. More leadership needed from senior management to support the organisational changes and to speed up decision making.

British Red Cross2019-08-01

"Power of kindness?"

Former Contractor - Change Manager

I worked at British Red Cross for less than a year

Pros

Amazing brand, wonderful colleagues at peer level

Cons

Indecisive leadership, very hierarchical, difficult to make a real difference

Advice to Management

Managing out poor performance is a MUST

British Red Cross2019-10-14
  3. "Poor Management"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at British Red Cross part-time for less than a year

Pros

Job itself was straightforward. Volunteers were good to work with.

Cons

Expected to work through lunch hour for free if no volunteers were in. Refused all my holiday requests because manager thought I could be at work and still take holiday. Didn't understand that because I was only on a 7 hour contract that if I came in for 1 day that week then I hadn't taken my holiday allowance. Expected me to work nearly ever Saturday even though these should have been split between the manager and... me. Would text me at all times, evenings, weekends - I wasn't allowed to have a day off, I had to be available to answer her questions at all times. Manager threatened to cancel my training due to her personal issues (this is what she said herself via text message). This was a 7 hour part-time role yet felt like full-time. I lasted less than 3 months because of how the manager treated me. It just wasn't worth the hassle for 7 hours a week at minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Get a new manager.

British Red Cross2019-09-15

"High profile organisation with many low quality leaders"

Former Employee - Retail Manager in Plymouth, England

I worked at British Red Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working for a charity that supports those in need. Lots of policy and some systems.

Cons

Retail arm of charity appears to be managed by some leaders that are full of their own importance. Very authoritarian management style demonstrated by many that leads to stifled outcomes, or no outcome.

Advice to Management

Start managing, get out of your offices and do your jobs! Check what middle managers are doing by using simple management practices!

British Red Cross2018-11-16

"Difficult and very glad to be out of it !"

Former Employee - Assistant Shop Manager in London, England

I worked at British Red Cross part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Met some lovely people - you want 20 words - at times felt that I was doing some good for others.

Cons

There is an inherent culture of bullying The Manager of the first shop I worked in was dishonest as was her assistant. When reported, Head Office were not interested in listening let alone acting. The Manager of the second shop spoke down to me on many occasions, ignored the internal theft of a volunteers belongings and expected me to close shop every day due to his family commitments. He had no regard for mine.

Advice to Management

Choose your managers more carefully and don't just concentrate on profits

British Red Cross2017-09-10

"Demotivating culture"

Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at British Red Cross

Pros

There are good people. It's a recognised brand and sometimes you feel very proud to be part of it.

Cons

The good and capable people are not the ones at the top. Management have decided to start paying the living wage but only to people who have worked here for three years or more. We are all equal but some are more equal than others. I don't know how the CEO can say poverty is a problem in the UK but pay staff a non-living wage. Being able to feed your kids shouldn't be a reward in a loyalty scheme. The current... restructure is making this worse. People here are not treated the same even though the Red Cross principles say they should be.

Advice to Management

Look at yourselves and try to remember the reason you joined the Red Cross.

British Red Cross2016-05-09

"Red Cross makes you cross"

Retail Van Driver/Warehouse Manager in Gillingham, England

I worked at British Red Cross for more than 5 years

Pros

good charity help lot of different people all over the world Does great things Max 35 hrs per week

Cons

No over time low rates of pay for shop managers and drivers Area managers give very little praise to staff and volunteers

Advice to Management

Try doing the job yourself and see if you would do it for the £ Say thanks no and again . Would you work for free ???

British Red Cross2015-09-22
  8. "11 great years working for Red Cross"

Current Employee - Shop Manager in Pembroke Dock, Wales

I have been working at British Red Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

blessed with great line managers, very fair to work for, lots of training opportunities, feel trusted and valued,

Cons

I have not any chance of promotion as a retail manager in 11 years, low pay within retail, the equivalent managers in Services earn a heck of a lot more, it could , if you let it, make you very dissatisfied,

Advice to Management

keep your eye on the grass roots,

British Red Cross2014-06-05
  9. "Volunteering"

Current Employee - Assistant Shop Manager

I have been working at British Red Cross full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great community feel and friendship between shop colleagues. Personally I had a wonderful manager - good relationship with volunteers and was quick to bring any issues to Head Office. Flexible working hours - in our shop, you arranged shifts with your manager and colleagues. Tea and biscuits and a good chat available all day! Good training leaflets for personal health and safety.

Cons

Volunteering is unpaid. Issues raised to Head Office are not always followed up quickly or solutions are not always followed through.

Advice to Management

Visit the individual shops and set appropriate weekly/monthly income targets taking into consideration the value of items donated, collaboration with brands, number of customers, time of year etc. Give better advice/training/regulations on how to deal with customers (i.e. personal safety, stealing, conmen etc.)

British Red Cross2016-03-22
  10. "Hell on earth"

Current Employee - Shop Manager

I have been working at British Red Cross part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pro is they do occasionally hire and offer paid work

Cons

Bad company to work for, one of the worst for pressure and the are supposed to be a charity not a high end business

British Red Cross2012-10-18