British Red Cross Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 15 Nov 2018

Found 8 reviews

2.1
Michael Adamson

"Red Cross makes you cross"

Former Employee - Retail Van Driver/Warehouse Manager in Gillingham, England

I worked at British Red Cross for more than 5 years

Pros

good charity help lot of different people all over the world Does great things Max 35 hrs per week

Cons

No over time low rates of pay for shop managers and drivers Area managers give very little praise to staff and volunteers

Advice to Management

Try doing the job yourself and see if you would do it for the £ Say thanks no and again . Would you work for free ???

British Red Cross2015-09-22

"High profile organisation with many low quality leaders"

Former Employee - Retail Manager in Plymouth, England

I worked at British Red Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working for a charity that supports those in need. Lots of policy and some systems.

Cons

Retail arm of charity appears to be managed by some leaders that are full of their own importance. Very authoritarian management style demonstrated by many that leads to stifled outcomes, or no outcome.

Advice to Management

Start managing, get out of your offices and do your jobs! Check what middle managers are doing by using simple management practices!

British Red Cross2018-11-16

"Difficult and very glad to be out of it !"

Former Employee - Assistant Shop Manager in London, England

I worked at British Red Cross part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Met some lovely people - you want 20 words - at times felt that I was doing some good for others.

Cons

There is an inherent culture of bullying The Manager of the first shop I worked in was dishonest as was her assistant. When reported, Head Office were not interested in listening let alone acting. The Manager of the second shop spoke down to me on many occasions, ignored the internal theft of a volunteers belongings and expected me to close shop every day due to his family commitments. He had no regard for mine.

Advice to Management

Choose your managers more carefully and don't just concentrate on profits

British Red Cross2017-09-10

"Demotivating culture"

Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at British Red Cross

Pros

There are good people. It's a recognised brand and sometimes you feel very proud to be part of it.

Cons

The good and capable people are not the ones at the top. Management have decided to start paying the living wage but only to people who have worked here for three years or more. We are all equal but some are more equal than others. I don't know how the CEO can say poverty is a problem in the UK but pay staff a non-living wage. Being able to feed your kids shouldn't be a reward in a loyalty scheme. The current restructure...

Advice to Management

Look at yourselves and try to remember the reason you joined the Red Cross.

British Red Cross2016-05-09
  5. "11 great years working for Red Cross"

Current Employee - Shop Manager in Pembroke Dock, Wales

I have been working at British Red Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

blessed with great line managers, very fair to work for, lots of training opportunities, feel trusted and valued,

Cons

I have not any chance of promotion as a retail manager in 11 years, low pay within retail, the equivalent managers in Services earn a heck of a lot more, it could , if you let it, make you very dissatisfied,

Advice to Management

keep your eye on the grass roots,

British Red Cross2014-06-05
  6. "Volunteering"

Current Employee - Assistant Shop Manager

I have been working at British Red Cross full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great community feel and friendship between shop colleagues. Personally I had a wonderful manager - good relationship with volunteers and was quick to bring any issues to Head Office. Flexible working hours - in our shop, you arranged shifts with your manager and colleagues. Tea and biscuits and a good chat available all day! Good training leaflets for personal health and safety.

Cons

Volunteering is unpaid. Issues raised to Head Office are not always followed up quickly or solutions are not always followed through.

Advice to Management

Visit the individual shops and set appropriate weekly/monthly income targets taking into consideration the value of items donated, collaboration with brands, number of customers, time of year etc. Give better advice/training/regulations on how to deal with customers (i.e. personal safety, stealing, conmen etc.)

British Red Cross2016-03-22
  7. "Hell on earth"

Current Employee - Shop Manager in

I have been working at British Red Cross part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pro is they do occasionally hire and offer paid work

Cons

Bad company to work for, one of the worst for pressure and the are supposed to be a charity not a high end business

British Red Cross2012-10-18
  8. "Great, supportive place to work with clear leadership, I am proud to work for the RC. Only drawback is pay level."

Current Employee - Manager in

I have been working at British Red Cross

Pros

Plenty of training opportunities, support for personal projects. Knowing that every day we all pull together to help people in crisis wherever they are and whoever they are is a great motivator. There are so many talented and dedicated members of staff and volunteers, it's inspiring to talk to people and see our work.

Cons

Pay levels low, so staff retention not good. A shame to waste such talent. Extra hours the norm - especially as we are a volunteer-led organisation, but extra hours is true for senior staff too.

Advice to Management

The flat structure is great to work in, with easy access to senior management and even Trustees. We attract some amazing volunteers and staff. Sad that pay levels are not competitive and many staff leave for better pay.

British Red Cross2010-12-12