British Red Cross Service Coordinator Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

British Red Cross Service Coordinator Reviews

Updated 24 Aug 2018

2.0
British Red Cross CEO Michael Adamson (no image)
Michael Adamson
  1. "Rewarding & fun"

Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at British Red Cross full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Its a very well recognized organization world wide, I have worked for different National Societies and the best part is that every country works differently because is always led by the needs of the people. Set aside its flexibility, its great because it is supported by a great network of human and material resources, and all that comes from the good will of people! 90% or our job is done by volunteers, so its... amazing to be the conductor of so much energy, knowledge & humanity

Cons

Its so big... sometimes the right hand does not know what the left one is doing! There is a very complicated structure so its hard to know who to go to if you have a question or is easy "to re-invent the wheel" unnecessarily. People in high positions do not normally have operational experience & make decisions that are unpractical to apply in the field

Advice to Management

When you plan changes and make a consultation, listen to the people actually doing the job and not what "experts" advice. See how other National Societies deal with issues.

British Red Cross2014-05-10

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Service Coordinator

I worked at British Red Cross full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great colleagues and volunteers, great learning opportunities and a general amazing opportunity to help those in need. Work and life balance is good and there are plenty of paid holiday.

Cons

The salary is a joke. I could never have supported a family and could not put any savings aside to to and see my family and close friends. It's hard to move into new roles within the organisation and progress career wise. The organisation does not invest in you to gain skills outside your role, e.g to become a manager. I felt quite isolated and relying only on a local manager and did not feel that I was part... of the larger organisation. I was frustrated but didn't feel like I had anyone to raise my opinions to when my manager and I was not on the same page.

Advice to Management

Equalities and monitoring is an issue that needs to be solved. Lower levels of the organisation is very diverse but the higher up you get it get whiter and more male focused. Salaries need to be raised. They are lowest in the sector.

British Red Cross2018-08-24