Build-A-Bear "part time" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Build-A-Bear Employee Reviews about "part time"

Updated 24 Sep 2019

3.6
Build-A-Bear CEO Sharon John (no image)
Sharon John
Pros
Cons
  • "The pay was the bare minimum of minimum wage(in 38 reviews)

• "Especially if you’re looking for something part time in retail(in 33 reviews)

Reviews about "part time"

Return to all Reviews

"Really fun company"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Norwich, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time for more than a year

Pros

Got to have lots of fun whilst working as a Bear Builder part time. Flexible working hours. Support from the manager whilst working.

Cons

Some shifts changed at short notice (they did always let me know before hand though!) On one occasion I was expected to complete a shift only lasting one hour.

Advice to Management

Please ensure that staff are not expected to work for less than 4 hours at a time as this is generally not practical.

Build-A-Bear2015-08-24

"Pretty fun, but pay doesn't reflect the responsibilities expected of you. Not so "pawsome"."

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Build-A-Bear part-time

Pros

-My team and managers are great- so supportive and nice, so no complaints at all there. The general atmosphere is very encouraging and fun. -Honey pay- for every 8 hours worked, you receive an extra hour's pay which is very nice when you only work part-time. -Generous employee discount (30% regularly, and 50% at Christmas). (And head office sends everyone a bear at Christmas which is sweet). -Training is done... gradually so you don't really feel you can't handle what's being thrown at you. -Good experience of working with kids/ delivering excellent customer service.

Cons

Along with the standard cons of working in retail (rude, entitled customers, run off your feet at the weekend/ Christmas etc.), there are quite a number of cons... Bear-Builders (sales associates) are paid minimum wage, which is appalling considered the amount we are expected to do- regular 'retail stuff' like till work and restocking, plus heavily interacting with all customers, building the bears, being a... child's entertainer, going above and beyond for every single customer, cleaning the shop, and hosting kids' parties (which has no extra pay whatsoever), all while maintaining a bright and bubbly persona. Contracts are 4-hour-a-week only for Bear-Builders, which is hard when this is an only job; and number of hours worked can vary vastly between weeks, with a single 4-hour shift one week, and 25 hours the next. You are forced to up-sell extras to every guest constantly, even kids and grandparents just looking for a bear for their grandchild- it gets very tiring and I feel like it's really unethical. Each employee also has personal sales targets we are expected to meet, and a certain level of stress comes with this- it is a lot to expect from a minimum wage job with little prospect of advancement. Also, there is an expectation to pounce on and greet every single customer with a scripted set of greetings and questions as soon as they enter the shop (it all seems very American and in-your-face); and so you're fully aware of how irritating you're being, but you have to as it's part of the job. This also puts you directly in the line of fire for being yelled at by customers who want to be left alone. Breaks are very short (or non-existent) for long, tiring shifts. You're expected to clean up vomit and pee occasionally... Parents just straight up filming you without asking your permission. In short, this is an okay job to have if you're desperate for work or just need a weekend job to see you through college, but it's soul destroying, physically and mentally draining, and you're paid peanuts for the work you're expected to do.

Advice to Management

Consider paying your Bear-Builders more than the minimum wage- our responsibilities reflect so much more than that. Additionally, it might be an idea to create some different tiers of contracts, i.e. 4-hour/ 8-hour/ 16-hour a week contracts so people able to work more than one day a week can have a bit more consistency between paychecks and workloads.

Build-A-Bear2019-03-12
  3. "No Incentives"

Former Employee - Marketing in York, England

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good conversation starter job had its perks of being fun. Gained experience while I was young

Cons

Low wage and little career progression or opportunities to do other roles. I was never allowed to be trained on tills or do any other role other than to greet customers, and build bears (as well as the stock rotation before the shop opened) The wage I got was nowhere near enough to make going to work even worthwhile as it was an outlet store which required a bus to get to and on 4.35 an hour with a month in hand... over the Christmas period I was left with little to no money for Christmas. I was let go without proper reasoning or explanation ( My manager sent me a facebook message telling me not to come in for the rest of my shifts as I had a panic attack while greeting and meeting visitors as the store was so busy and understaffed. As I went to the back to get some fresh air and water I was told to go home and later fired) I felt very disposable and as a part-time employee there was a big company culture that I just did not fit into

Advice to Management

Treat employees like actual people and erase the mental health stigma in your stores. Raise the wage

Build-A-Bear2017-11-03

"Sounds good in the interview.... but once in you see how messed up the leadership is."

Former Employee - District Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Build-A-Bear full-time for more than a year

Pros

Getting to share in great experiences with customers!

Cons

The executive, regional and HR leadership are all so fake. They will do just about anything (but actually pay you well) to get you in the door. As a district manager you have no control over running your business. They won’t let you write up or formally coach any employee, even a part time employee for attendance. Everything, and I mean literally everything must be approved by the head of HR. The store manager and... DMs do not have any control over how much you can pay associates. They want to pay $8.00 an hour and then get upset when stores can’t staff. For store managers they make you take some crazy test and pay an arm and a leg for some crazy psychologist on hand to evaluate the results. She says over 70% of people who are assessed fail, yet she gets money every time she evaluates someone..... sound like a conflict of interest? There is no Loss prevention team and employees are stealing the company blind. Fraudulent returns, missing cash, merchandise and drugs being traded inside bears, yet no one at Corporate thinks there is an issue. Was told once that the company will never have an LP department because it “looks bad” in such a “fun” environment. Truth is, they are too worried about lining the executives pockets. Now you’re putting stores inside Walmart’s so customers can pay $30 for a bear at a value price store? Why not go down the toy aisle and buy one for $5. The stores are sinking big time. Traffic is down. Employees are leaving in droves.

Advice to Management

shut your doors while you still have somewhat of a reputation. Or at minimum, get rid of your HR leaders who feel like they have to approve everything in every store in every district. You are losing amazing people because of HR and the Regionals who love to micro manage.

Build-A-Bear2019-09-10
  5. "Easy job if you're just looking for part-time"

Former Employee - Bear Builder

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun environment. I enjoyed work everyday, the music was lit and made me very happy. It's a super easy job. You basically just stuff bears and talk to guests the whole time. BAB is also a super respectable company!

Cons

The pay was the bare minimum of minimum wage. My particular head manager was problematic within the other managers and bear builders. Angry moms are no fun, especially when it comes to stuffed animals. Also literally NO hours for regular bear builders, max was 12 hours in a good week. 2 days a week normally, that's why I said a part-time job. If you need money, don't rely on this job alone.

Advice to Management

Communication is key

Build-A-Bear2019-09-25
  6. "Great job"

Former Employee - Bear Builder

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time

Pros

Very easy job and very flexible

Cons

You don’t get many hours if you’re part time

Build-A-Bear2019-09-24
  7. "Love my job and the company"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Build-A-Bear part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful company to work for, benefits available after becoming full time

Cons

Not too many, fun place to work. Especially if you’re looking for something part time in retail.

Build-A-Bear2019-08-13
  8. "Awesome! So much fun"

Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time

Pros

Always changing, no bad days, plenty of skills to learn

Cons

Hours for part time are slim

Build-A-Bear2019-08-01
  9. "Okay Job"

Current Employee - Sales Team Lead in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Build-A-Bear part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very fun environment, people you work with are amazing and a family like atmosphere.

Cons

There are a lot of cons with this company. I have worked here for a year and half and i have been a manager since November. The problem is they expect part time sales leads to do all this work and help support the store manager with running the floor but the pay is terrible. I make 10.25 has a manager. That's insane. I make the exact same amount at my other job and do way less. If my store wasn't struggling with... finding management i probably would have left already. And these promos that we have are crazy. why are we doing anything with pay your age again? When people hear that they automatically think something negative. My district has been with out a DM since February and its definitely been a struggle. My store takes on special projects, like helping with the sports kiosks that are in town, there isn't much support with these and its a disaster, nobody is on the same page and nobody wants to work it.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your people. You need to take care of your people in order to run a business. without your bear builders and sales leads you have nothing.

Build-A-Bear2019-06-17
  10. "Just dont work here if your a guy unfortunately"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time for less than a year

Pros

Customers and kids are actually really sweet and nice

Cons

More rules than a catholic church and they want full control of your life even if your part time. Another job leads to termination even if you only work 20 hours a week

Advice to Management

They dont actually care about anything

Build-A-Bear2019-07-01