CH2M-WG Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

CH2M-WG Reviews

Updated 16 Feb 2017

4.5
CH2M-WG President Mike McKelvy (no image)
Mike McKelvy
  1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at CH2M-WG full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Continual training that teaches importance of safe work.

Cons

Lot's of union employees who think they deserve to be employed. Sometimes it's like being at an adult daycare.

Advice to Management

Give managers more support in disciplining poor performing employees.

CH2M-WG2017-02-16
  2. "One of the most rewarding jobs I have had"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Idaho Falls, ID

I worked at CH2M-WG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The central engineering team was structured in such a way that engineers were assigned to projects as needs arose. Project managers would go to each of the discipline leads to assign project support based on skills and availability. This was great for me as I enjoyed a variety of different projects.

Cons

Having come from general industry, I found the timeline for projects to be drawn out. I always found myself wishing we could speed things up and get on with the next phase of design. Due to fluctuations in DOE funding, there was always the fear that project funding would be cut.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have a plan to accommodate fluctuations in DOE funding and reduce the cyclical hiring and layoffs that affected the engineering team.

CH2M-WG2016-05-02
  3. "Wonderful technical challenges, but everybody is on their way out the door."

Former Employee - Engineer in Idaho Falls, ID

I worked at CH2M-WG full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

1. Very goal-oriented (this has downsides too) and focused company. 2. A broad range of technical problems desperately needing innovative solutions

Cons

1. From the beginning (2005) was a sequence of layoffs as the cleanup contract was worked off. 2. U.S. DOE contractors are always at the whip end of politics, including between Congress and the Administration, between DOE and the State of Idaho, and within DOE. 3. DOE repeatedly funded projects, then cancelled them, then reinstated them, then cancelled them; this is extremely demoralizing, disruptive, and costly in terms of employee talent

Advice to Management

To the Idaho Cleanup Project: Spend even more time and money really addressing morale. You've done all the easy stuff. To DOE: Get your ducks in a row--Nothing says "Incompetence" like repeated starting and stopping of essential projects.

CH2M-WG2012-08-15