CMI/Compas Reviews

Updated 4 Sep 2020

3.5
CMI/Compas CEO Stan Woodland (no image)
Stan Woodland
Pros
Cons
  • "If you are a new hire in Media, you can expect almost a complete lack of support from Business and Data Analytics teams in particular(in 4 reviews)

• "Shockingly, generally poor employee morale and high turnover(in 4 reviews)

1. "Strong Company Vision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at CMI/Compas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture Family environment Leadership really cares about you personally Clear vision for company

Cons

Lack of staff Hiring process seems antiquated - slow ramp up ability

Associate, Public Relations & Corporate Communications

We love to hear that you’re having an awesome time working at CMI/Compas – we’re happy you’ve been part of our family for over five years! We hear you on staffing and have been rolling out new initiatives to continue our recruiting momentum as we continue to grow. Please be encouraged to reach out to Julia Missaggia on our People Team to discuss any ideas, questions or concerns related to staffing.

2. COVID-19

"Mentally and physically taxing."

1.0
    Current Employee - Associate Analyst
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at CMI/Compas full-time for less than a year

Pros

- WFH Two days a week, but that doesn't really matter much when we're in a pandemic.

Cons

- I joined this company because I felt like they valued work-life balance and personal development. But I'm so burned out that I've considered quitting without another job lined up just to be in a better space mentally. I spend all of my time struggling to keep up and can't separate my home life from my work. - No attention to employee burnout and well-being. Many companies are finding ways to pace workers due to pandemic-related stress and inefficiencies, but here there seems to be no discussion of how to accommodate for historic circumstances other than fluffy emails. - The search team basically fulfills two roles for the salary of one: Programmatic and search. Even when programmatic analysts are hired it seems like responsibilities aren't passed over. I don't get it. - Projects feel poorly scoped and planned as management misunderstands how difficult things are to complete, which also causes quality issues and strained deadlines, which then leads to heavy criticism toward analysts. - Criticism toward search analysts is out of hand. Rather than address that gaps in our performance are a direct result of the above conditions, rushed employee training, and over-promises to clients... we're lectured and made to feel inadequate. - Entry salary is awful when you look at it from the perspective of an hourly wage. No overtime pay and the fair chances you'll work 50-60/hours a week instead of a normal 40, your per/hour rate basically becomes the same wage an intern at other agencies would make.

Associate, Public Relations & Corporate Communications

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience at CMI/Compas. It is critical that we are able to address these concerns with you – we strive to make sure that our employees are comfortable in their role and feel valued. We’ve alerted our leadership to your feedback. Please consider connecting with Julia Missaggia on our People Team for a confidential discussion. Additionally, we recommend checking out the COVID-19 Resources in Microsoft Teams. These pages are full of valuable resources for yourself and your family.

3. COVID-19

"Sometimes great, wish all teams were equally good"

Current Employee - Media in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at CMI/Compas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you've worked at other companies and especially other agencies, CMI/Compas can be a welcome change. CMI is generally a low conflict environment, and one where people are respected first and foremost. Many parents on staff and an understanding of parents' needs. You can make friendships and work with friends here. Likewise a part-time, flexible work schedule has been encouraged at CMI/Compas even before Coronavirus. Most clients are likewise decent people and treat CMI staff as partners. Mostly smart people across the Drive and Media groups. If you are good at your job, you will get promoted. Business has been good, across Healthcare in general and CMI/Compas too.

Cons

Compensation is one source of frustration for employees. In the past, employees were willing to accept lower-than market rate compensation in exchange for more flexibility around work from home; that advantage is in danger as flexible work has become standard everywhere with Coronavirus. Everyone from associates to managers recognizes that salaries and bonuses are below what other companies offer. Another issue is around the skills of some teams, While Media and Drive teams are usually knowledgable people, some teams are unfortunately awful. If you are a new hire in Media, you can expect almost a complete lack of support from Business and Data Analytics teams in particular. The so-called "CIA" teams don't know the basic types of reports that other agencies provide. Media teams often make their own reporting dashboards, have to explain to data teams how physician level data works, and so on. Investment in Media tools is lacking as well, instead of licensing Prisma as a big agency would, CMI/Compas prefers to use its own, incomplete "MAP" tool. Sometimes media plans have to be changed simply because MAP can or cannot support certain things. Lastly, training exists only on paper--with managers needing to provide their own training to new hires, so there is a lack of standards. Trainers exist, but their input is limited to creating long lists of available courses and recordings, many of which have questionable value. Trainers do not know how marketing works, only how to create courses, so again managers have to own this. Executive management, while all nice people, can range from being distant to micromanaging campaigns. There have been a lot of EVP hires recently, but perhaps because no one is managing them, this hasn't created a new direction or refined focus.

CMI/Compas Response

We appreciate you sharing your experience at CMI/Compas with us – and we would love to discuss your feedback further via a confidential stay interview with our People Team. Please also be encouraged to reach out to CMI President Susan Dorfman directly. With the amount of hard work that goes into our onboarding, compensation planning, and tools assessments, we are always looking to improve even further and welcome your input.

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Media Planner

I have been working at CMI/Compas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people WFH policy Summer fridays Work life balance and family first mentality

Cons

Compensation on the lower part A lot of steps to get promoted that don’t necessarily relate to your job

CMI/Compas Response

We love to hear that you’re having an awesome time working at CMI/Compas! The pros you mention mean a lot to us as we take significant pride in them. Please be encouraged to reach out to Julia Missaggia on the People Team with any questions or concerns related to reviews and compensation – we’d be happy to discuss these with you further.

5. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Media Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at CMI/Compas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits: WFH, Holidays, work/life balance, Etc.

Cons

Really the only thing would be, no insight into salary percentages, or bonus percentages

CMI/Compas Response

Thanks for reaching out and sharing what you love about CMI/Compas – we’re happy you’ve been part of our family for over five years! We’ve actually addressed some of the questions you noted during our monthly Bell Ringer sessions and in our staff FAQ. For a copy of the FAQ and/or recording of the session, please reach out to Sarah Yung.

6. "Good place to work"

I have been working at CMI/Compas full-time

Pros

Techs are great and very knowledgeable

Cons

Management team needs to be better at follow through

CMI/Compas Response

We appreciate you reaching out and would love to discuss your feedback further. Please connect with Julia Missaggia on our People Team for a confidential conversation.

"Good as first job"

Former Employee - Planner in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at CMI/Compas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CMI has a decent work life balance

Cons

CMI offers very good training to get started

CMI/Compas Response

Thanks for sharing what you loved about CMI/Compas – we’re really proud of our benefits and training, too!

"Company Growth and Client Mainstays Speak For Themselves"

5.0
    Former Employee - Vice President, Media in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at CMI/Compas full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I recently left CMI, having worked there for a long time and starting out in an entry-level position. I felt compelled to write an honest review after seeing so many reviews on Glassdoor. While I agree with a few of the points being made in other reviews, there are many that I disagree with. This is my own opinion from the perspective of someone who’s been here for a while. Big company with values of a family business – For the most part, people throughout the company have a mutual respect and limited egos. Yes, there will always be some small-minded or spiteful people at any job, but you don’t often come across that at CMI. You’ll also find a lot of integrity with the senior leadership team at CMI. I’ve found that those in a senior/executive leadership role are honest and truthful. I don’t think you’ll ever find another company where senior leadership is as transparent and available as they are here. Career development – The path to furthering your career at CMI is laid out for you when you start. There are several tools and trainings at your disposal for skills development. If there are skills you want to learn that can be achieved through a conference or seminar, CMI will often make that happen for you. Those who complain about career growth probably aren’t putting in the energy to further themselves. If you want to be successful here, stop wasting your energy on what other people may think/do/say and focus on what you can control. Work/life balance – It’s always disappointing to hear/read that people routinely work late nights and into the weekend. Some people do that because they choose to, and others do it because they must. For the latter, that needs to be addressed with a direct manager, as that should not be the expectation. I’ve always enjoyed a relatively good work/life balance at CMI and if I’m ever working late it’s because I want to. There are times throughout the year when business picks up (usually planning for the upcoming year), but it should be expected during those times that it may get chaotic. My advice to those who feel like they must work late to keep up – be more transparent with your manager and find ways to better manage your time and workload.

Cons

Not necessarily cons, but opportunities for improvement... While salary is competitive, I think more can be done to prevent valued employees from leaving CMI to join another agency where they would be in a similar position, but with slightly higher pay As much as CMI spends investing in new services, products and solutions for their clients, it’s the people that really differentiate us from other agencies. There are a lot of good, intelligent people at CMI and that’s largely in part due to how much of an investment CMI has made in ensuring they grow great employees. It would be great to see CMI do more to encourage, or bring in, external training opportunities. Responsibility can feel too fragmented at times, with so many departments vying for client interaction and having specific roles. It would be nice to see more employees cross-trained (if they have the desire) to have a broader skill set and be more prepared to interact with clients on a wide range of topics instead of ushering in several different team members to discuss topics. Annual performance reviews – while they have their strengths, the annual review process leads to long gaps between performance reviews. Some employees may grow complacen over the course of the year – especially since changes in compensation are primarily only tied to those review periods.

CMI/Compas Response

Your response brought deep thought, appreciation, and respect for you and the ideas you share. I am sincerely thankful for the kindness of and honesty in your words, as well as the wisdom and actionability of your recommendations. Thank you for that. You and the message you shared are a perfect reflection of our core values and the kind people that make up our CMI/Compas family. We’re beyond grateful for your openness, as this will go a long way in helping us continue to improve for current staff and those joining us in the future. As I’m sure you know, we are proud to have a number of returning employees – so we encourage you to stay in touch and always consider us as you continue your career. Please reach out to me at sdorfman [at] cmicompas.com as I would love the opportunity to talk! Sincerely, Susan Dorfman, President – CMI

"Good managers and directors, poor senior leadership"

2.0
    Former Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at CMI/Compas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility with schedule, work from home, growing company

Cons

Sr leadership is more concerned with compiling personal accolades than developing personnel. Analytics capabilities are often misleading to clients. Need to be willing to “fall in line” with sr leaderships interpretation of data to survive

CMI/Compas Response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences while working at CMI/Compas. As you know from your three years at CMI/Compas, campaign performance data is shared directly via feeds with our clients for full transparency in activity and outcomes. Our teams collaborate in interpretations made and shared, as data tells its own story. The situation you describe may be an outlier and as such we would greatly appreciate learning more about your specific situation to ensure it does not continue. Please feel free to contact me at elee [at] cmicompas.com

"Best Place to Work"

5.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at CMI/Compas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CMI/Compas is the best place to work because you feel like you are truly valued here. The leadership team is open and transparent. They all have open door policies and are very visible within our offices. The company does stay interviews to collect data on how we can improve our organization and our processes. By gathering data from exits, stays and new hires, CMI has identified what areas need improvement and have made the strides to do it. CMI increased our holidays off by 5 more days, implemented 2 work from home days (used to be 1), increased tuition reimbursements, and implemented a salary continuation program for those who go out on leave. CMI has shown that they are here to listen to what is important to the employees and deliver on making this the best place to work. The people who work here are amazing, collaborative, smart and innovative. This is not a cut throat agency, this is a family feel agency where you feel empowered to do your best work and have a team to support you.

Cons

No cons that I can think of at this time.

CMI/Compas Response

It’s great to hear that you’ve enjoyed your three years here! As you mentioned, the leadership team at CMI/Compas is dedicated to connecting with each and every employee. We will always listen to what’s important to our staff – our family – and continue to make improvements so that everyone feels supported and empowered, just as you have shared. If you’d like, please reach out to Julia Missaggia jmissaggia[at]cmicompas.com to discuss your time at CMI/Compas further.

Found 86 reviews