CRITICAL Software Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 19 December 2018

4.3
Gonçalo Quadros

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great people, huge range of projects to work on and the best work environment" (in 20 reviews)

• "Very flexible work schedule, allowing to work from home" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low salaries compared to other similar companies" (in 5 reviews)

• "Some egos in the senior management area are really though to deal and not only it affects the employees but also the company as a whole" (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Proud to say "I work at Critical""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lisbon (Portugal)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lisbon (Portugal)

Pros

Awesome work environment. Challenging projects with opportunities for professional growth. Special mention to direct management for encouraging autonomy, project ownership and career development.

Cons

Having the company spread across multiple locations can sometimes be a challenge to communication - there should be more corporate events promoting cross-site interactions.

Advice to Management

Critical Software’s ecosystem is the perfect balance between humanity and business ambition, where a flexible and informal environment does not undermine quality and professionalism. Massive respect for the achievements to date and for what the company represents. Keep dreaming big :)

17 Oct 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for the positive comments and the 5 stars! It's fantastic to hear you've had such a good experience and are just as excited for our future as we are. Thank you for your suggestions, we will... More

2. "Great opportunity for graduates, lot of things to learn."

I have been working at CRITICAL Software full-time

Pros

Good range of company benefits; flexible working hours enabling good work/life balance; very friendly work environment; a range of interesting projects to work on; various activities related to design, processes, development, testing and management; some engineers get a chance to obtain training and fully paid high-standard accommodation in sunny Portugal.

Cons

Commuting to the Chilworth office may be troublesome to some, occasional requirement to work on more than one project a time (can also be seen as an opportunity though!), flexible working policy is not something that may suit everyone.

27 Feb 2018 – HR Manager

It's so nice to hear that you feel we provide a great opportunity for graduates; it's something we've worked really hard on. Your right when you say that we try to give junior engineers a full range... More

3. "The worst job experience in my life"

I have been working at CRITICAL Software full-time

Pros

None, I can't even start working.

Cons

The HR department is absolutely incompetent, I have never seen something like this before. They have no idea about the job regulations in Portugal, they either don't know which must a person do for be able for start working in Portugal. I spent a month without working because they were convinced about a person needs the Portuguese National Insurance Number for start working legaly, what it's not true at all. You can start working as soon as you request that number. They sent me to the social security office to making all the stuff related to the NIN by myself, when I can't even speak Portugese, and they knew that. I explain what was happening to a manager and he just told me that "Critical does not provide that kind of help to new starters". Just INCREDIBLE.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring absolutely incompetent HR people.

24 Aug 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. I'm so sorry that you have had this experience - it falls well below our usual high standards. We are investigating to see what went wrong so... More

4. "Progressive company that really cares for its employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England

I have been working at CRITICAL Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was initially drawn to CRITICAL a little over 5 years ago now. What attracted me to a permanent role was the real family feel that I observed. At this point in my career I had become tired of working for companies who were knee deep in bureaucracy. At CRITICAL it is very possible to be creative and contribute in a big way to the success of the company. Additionally, CRITICAL really care about the wellbeing of their employees and trying to ensure they get the very best from everyone.

In terms of renumeration, on top of the salary CRITICAL offer an attractive set of benefits including a very flexible work environment including the ability to work from home. Further, they offer a bonus scheme based on the company's success and a set of flexible benefits including a mobile phone allowance, health insurance, and health & wellbeing membership.

Cons

Base salaries are perhaps slightly lower than the norm, but these are balanced with the benefits on offer and I know it is something the company continues to look at to ensure they remain competitive.

Advice to Management

Keep reinforcing the culture and values as the company grows, as this is what differentiates us from other companies out there.

23 Feb 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for sharing your views and for the 5 stars! It's great to hear that after 5 years you still have that feeling about the company. As you know our culture and values are extremely important... More

5. "Software Engineer"

Pros

Great working environment. Everyone's willing to help.

Cons

Low salaries compared to other similar companies.

Advice to Management

Don't let the good people leave because of salaries.

19 Feb 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. It's brilliant to know that our culture and values are 'alive' in our working environment. We are aware our salaries may be considered lower than some and... More

6. "Ok for a couple years"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at CRITICAL Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice environment to work, friendly co-workers and additional social events.

Cons

Poor salary, resistance to new ideas new ideas from senior management.

2 Mar 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoy the working environment and our culture. It would be great to hear from you further on your ideas for future... More

7. "Great School"

Former Employee - Technical Evangelist in London, England
    Former Employee - Technical Evangelist in London, England

I worked at CRITICAL Software (Less than a year)

Pros

A great place to learn. Being a multinational company, we have the possibility to travel a bit. Big projects for big customers. Informal environment. Good to work from home (from a certain position).

Cons

Stressful. Projects are always sold with little time for implementation. Salaries are small when compared to competitors. Always expect a lot from employees.

2 Mar 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for sharing your views. I'm happy to hear that our culture and values are being experienced through our working environment. We know our salaries may be considered lower than some, however... More

8. "Flexible employer"

Current Employee - Business Development in Southampton, England
    Current Employee - Business Development in Southampton, England

I have been working at CRITICAL Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really good culture, lots of events organised to help team-building and good facilities for staff. Feels like an SME company in many ways, but with the breadth and strong platform of a larger company. Flexible contracts for staff make for a good work-life balance.

Cons

There are some companies that pay more, but you don't get the flexibility, and considering the benefits, Critical are really not that bad pay-wise as some others claim.

Advice to Management

Recent changes to communications intranet were needed and have really improved comms to staff from the top; keep up the use of this vehicle to communicate.

9. "Fun office, good projects"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Southampton, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Southampton, England

I have been working at CRITICAL Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Range of projects, encouraged to contribute ideas, great team, nice office space. Benefits are good.

Cons

Maybe being able to wok across different projects. But I like this.

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Junior Engineer in Southampton, England
    Current Employee - Junior Engineer in Southampton, England

Pros

Having started on a role a few months ago at CRITICAL, I cannot think of any better start to a software centred career. For me, CRITICAL Software embraces every background and values each of its employees input and ideas. I feel motivated every day to learn something new. It’s encouraging to learn and grow in an honest environment where people take the time to appreciate you as an individual and also support you in becoming better.

Cons

I haven't found any yet.