Cabinet Office Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Nick Clegg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I love working here"

I have been working at Cabinet Office full-time

Pros

Good current technology, opportunities to work at the heart of Government, very close to ministers/senior officials.
    Current bonus is the exciting political context of Brexit and General Election.
    Lots of very smart and dynamic colleagues keen to make an impact.

Cons

Pay is lower than some parts of Government and it can be unfair when someone transfers in from a higher paying department (e.g. HMRC) to do the same job as a CO employee.

2. "Can be great, can be bad (I've worked in 3 different roles)"

I have been working at Cabinet Office full-time

Pros

Some areas of the Cabinet Office are amazing - interesting work, great supportive teams, amazing people, empowering and inspiring leaders

Cons

But some areas/aspects are bad - long hours, no learning and development, weird performance management system, loads of processes. Pay compared to other departments isn't great either.

Also, getting a promotion is super hard. Since my boss has left I have taken on their responsibilities and I am getting great praise, but I have heard a load of excuses on why they can't actually promote me. Its disheartening and is making me look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Retention in the Cabinet Office is bad! Promotions might help that as I am looking elsewhere for somewhere that pays me what I deserve for the higher grade role I have been doing.

3. "A mixed bag - but interesting for a time"

Pros

Fascinating policy areas and exciting to work at the heart of governement with some inspiring people

Cons

Lack of diversity at top management. Extremely poor corporate services. Pay not high enough for the responsibility or hours put in.

5. "Interim"

Former Employee - Assurance Analyst in London, England
    Former Employee - Assurance Analyst in London, England

Pros

nice people, good location, nice office

Cons

lack of mission clairty and direction

6. "Good experiences but lack of investment in people"

I have been working at Cabinet Office full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to deliver interesting and important work

Cons

Lack of structured training and budget to source your own L&D opportunities.

Advice to Management

Put greater emphasis on investment in people

7. "Working in the Cabinet Office"

Current Employee - Freedom of Information and Archives Manager in London, England

I have been working at Cabinet Office (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits of being a civil servant is the range of experiences you can have.

Cons

Job and pay progression are non-existant.

Advice to Management

Give further opportunities to employees.

8. "Do not apply"

Current Employee - Service in London, England
    Current Employee - Service in London, England

I have been working at Cabinet Office full-time

Pros

The scope of work is okay.

Cons

You will be bullied stiff ! This place is worse than private sector environments. For your sanity do not apply.

Advice to Management

Sort out the bulling please, people a suffering in silence.

9. "Your confidence will be crushed"

I worked at Cabinet Office full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The purpose of the organisation

Cons

If you belong to an ethnic minorities section, you will suffer. Your confidence will be consistently under attack. The objective will be to break you. If you want to work for civil service research other departments. In Cabinet Office they'll consider breaking the law just to get you out.

Advice to Management

To invite equality and diversity consultants to have series of workshops to help create the right culture. It was/is that bad money needs to be invested. I would not be surprised if suicide attempts do not start occuring.

10. "Commercial"

Pros

Flexibile working hours
    Intelgient individuals working on real projects and things that matter

Cons

A lot of restructing following spending reviews
    Pay is fairly low
    Many barriers between different government departments, sometimes information isn't shared effectively

Advice to Management

find a way to reduce the bureaucracy between departments, hugely ineffcient information sharing between departments; effectively wasting resources and ultimately tax payers money

11. "Good but could be better!"

Former Employee - Business Intelligence Lead in London, England
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence Lead in London, England

I worked at Cabinet Office full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A fast paced and challenging environment to work in. You get thrown in the deep end from day one and are expected to deliver across a number of work packages to a very high standard. You are given real responsibility and treated with respect no matter the grade you work at. There is always support available and everyone I worked with was very approachable (even senior management). Work conditions are excellent and there is a lot of flexibility. There are plenty learning opportunities available.

Cons

There is no career progression opportunities available and most staff are recruited on fixed term contracts. There is no incentive for staff to work hard as there is no real reward for being better than others. There is no such thing as promotion (other than a temporary promotion which is to fulfil short term business needs 1-3months) and you must apply for the job as all other external candidates. No salary increase either. Hardly any options to become permanent once you are hired and have proven your worth. Assignments don't last very long and quite often you will be moving around from team to team within 4-6 months.

Advice to Management

If a member of staff proves they are worth keeping and constantly exceed targets they must and should be offered a permanent contract as it happens everywhere else. There should be promotion opportunities for existing staff internally without the need to apply for the role which would save CO a lot in unnecessary recruitment rounds. Salaries need to be made competitive as for similar jobs the private sector pays at least 50% more.