Cambridge Assessment Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Cambridge Assessment Group Chief Executive Officer Simon Lebus
Simon Lebus

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"A great place to work, that is working hard to make things even better"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My line manager is excellent. She has encouraged my growth and confidence, as well as being flexible when the needs of my (young) family required.

Alongside this, Cambridge Assessment has a real commitment to developing their staff. Whether that is through learning and development, wellbeing initiatives or of particular importance in my roll, access to relevant equipment and software.

Collaboration is one of our values - and you see this in action all the time as people work hard together across the different parts of our business.

I feel secure and supported at Cambridge Assessment.

Cons

There are times when I think we could do things quicker.

As well as having offices in Coventry, and overseas we currently have many offices in central Cambridge which, whilst it has its advantages, is not always ideal. We are, however, due to move to a brand new Cambridge headquarters soon (Q1 2018).

It currently takes me about 45 minutes to travel to the office. It would be great to have a shorter commute.

Advice to Management

My advice largely is to keep doing what you are doing!

24 Aug 2017 – Group Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thanks for sharing your views on your experiences working with us. It's great to hear that you have the flexibility you need to support your young family, and are looking forward to our move to the... More

2. "Education and Assessment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good social, academically interesting, scope for movement and secondment. Good food and lots of good CPD that cover everything you need to know about assessment. Thorough induction process.

Cons

Group wide fear of change and of technology. "We have always done it that way " is used as an excuse to loiter in the past.

Advice to Management

Embrace technology. constantly look at process and look for inefficiencies. Silo working is a real issue that needs attention.

24 Nov 2017 – Group Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thank you for your recent review and it is great to hear you highlight the opportunities to develop and are enjoying the food and social scene. It could be fair to say that we are currently in the... More

"Good, but could be so much better!"

Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Rewarding work - your job benefits learners, teachers and schools around the world.
    - Friendly atmosphere. Everyone is so nice!
    - Great learning and development opportunities. They invest a lot in staff training and development which is great.
    - Flexible working - and they’re getting better.
    - Very open to job shadowing, mentor schemes and support networks.
    - Fantastic canteens and cafes - a wide range of food and drink options (inc. vegan and paleo).
    - New HQ being built and will open in early 2018, meaning all Cambridge-based employees will be under one roof. Exciting times!

Cons

- Very bureaucratic, takes ages to make decisions and get things done.
    - Very slow on the uptake in terms of the use of technology to automate processes and support customers. There are still a lot of manual ways of doing things which can be very frustrating.
    - A good place if you want to ‘coast’ in your job and get by doing very little in your role. There are a lot of people who have been there for 10+ years. Long service seems to be rewarded more than hard work in many of these cases.
    - Very traditional and risk-averse. The outcome of the industry we are in I guess.
    - High-achieving staff are not rewarded or compensated for their efforts, so go elsewhere. There needs to be a better way to engage staff that perform above and beyond in their role.
    - Broken performance review model. It has changed a lot over the last few years. The current format does not lend itself to anyone wanting to exceed their job responsibilities.
    - Salaries seem to be dipping and getting lower by the year. Not sustainable when the cost of living in Cambridge is going up each year.

Advice to Management

Engage your staff. Lead from the front. Many still lead from behind closed doors.

22 Nov 2017 – Group Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience of Cambridge Assessment. Our reward schemes are continuously evolving, as we believe it is important to recognise the great work... More

"balanced"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Immediate colleagues and line managers very good. Acts ethically.

Cons

Very few opportunities for development if in certain roles. Dead end career for the vast majority. Inefficient legacy processes leads to underemployment of many staff. Poor inter-departmental working. Extremely poor at communicating with customers, leading to widespread misunderstand and lack of transparency.

Advice to Management

Audit staff skills.

22 Nov 2017 – Group Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thank you for your review and highlighting our ethical approach. Our Talent Development team's strategy is about enabling excellence in learning at Cambridge Assessment and aims to design and... More

"Oh dear!"

Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people at the working level. Subsidised canteen. The strategy always sounds good. Secure job to an extent. Reasonable working conditions

Cons

Directors always fighting amongst each other. No clear leadership, in fact no leadership at all. The people that produce results will almost certainly get lumped with all the work whilst others plod along and do very little.

Advice to Management

Recruit proven leaders into leadership positions, do not force your good people out of the door.

22 Nov 2017 – Group Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thanks for your comments and reflection on your time with us so far. Cambridge Assessment is committed to developing leaders at all levels of the organisation. Our multifaceted approach to... More

7. "Not a cultural fit for me."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Cambridge, South West England, England
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Cambridge, South West England, England

I worked at Cambridge Assessment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of potential for the organization to do good, to be an industry leader and many fine people working there.

Cons

Failures to hold people accountable, push to be better and to reconcile aspirations with the reality of working there today.

Advice to Management

Think really hard about who you want to be and make the tough decisions to get there. There is a bizarre sense of entitlement that employees have and that leadership panders to more than I've seen at other organizations.

22 Sep 2017 – Group Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thank you for your recent review on your time spent working at Cambridge Assessment. Our culture is quite unique as a 150 year old organisation which is evolving to ensure we are focussed on the... More

"Good people but bureaucratic"

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment full-time

Pros

Some of the smartest, kindest, most passionate, most enjoyable to be around people you will ever meet. If you're content within your current role, it's a great place to work

Cons

Slow, lumbering bureaucracy - it's almost impossible to get anything done. Everyone in the building is working way above their grade, so there's no incentive to promote anyone (because they're getting the work for free). Hardly anyone is ever promoted - most just leave and go elsewhere (unless you're the very specific kind of Oxbridge graduate ex-teacher who thrives there)

Advice to Management

Stop trying to focus your "hierarchy" concerns on the junior managers - the REAL problem is the siloed kingdoms run by the C-suite.

24 Aug 2017 – Group Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thanks for sharing your views on your experiences so far working at Cambridge Assessment. On average 35% of our offers go to internal candidates and we look to support our employees in their career... More

"Good overall, though can be quite traditional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Cambridge Assessment (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large organisation in Cambridge, so lots of opportunities within the organisation to move / develop. Supportive employer with good benefits and nice colleagues.

Cons

Can be quite risk averse due to core nature of the business (exams) and education lags behind other areas in terms of uptake of new technologies. This can be frustrating when trying to push forward new initiatives.

24 Aug 2017 – Group Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thank you for your comments on your time spent at Cambridge Assessment. It can be said that we are on a journey of change. The portfolio of IT projects is varied, from short sprints through to... More

10. "Evidence of truly valuing good employees and working to retain them"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Annual salary increases and bonuses
    - Robust and supportive performance review system
    - Great Cambridge location, with shiny new offices on the way!

Cons

- Hit and miss senior managers
    - Pay grade culture

Advice to Management

Keep implementing new forward-thinking HR and IT solutions and working styles. (This is already in evidence but it's just the beginning of a big culture change - I've noticed really positive changes in the last three years)

24 Aug 2017 – Group Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thanks for your comments and reflection on the journey we are currently on. Sounds like you are as excited as we are about moving to our new offices in 2018. Not long now …. !

11. "Great Opportunities & Collaborative Working"

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment full-time

Pros

Great Leadership
    Good Opportunities for Personal Growth

Cons

Haven't discovered any so far.

24 Aug 2017 – Group Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thank you for your review and great to hear that you are enjoying your time at Cambridge Assessment.