Cambridge Consultants "consultancy" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Cambridge Consultants Employee Reviews about "consultancy"

Updated Aug 22, 2019

3.9
Cambridge Consultants CEO Eric Wilkinson (no image)
Eric Wilkinson
Pros
Cons
  • "Poor pay, not a lot of room for career progression(in 4 reviews)

• "It's a consultancy so the amount of work available can vary(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "consultancy"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Review"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Cambridge Consultants

Pros

Good mix of projects, and depending on the project work, it can be very interesting

Cons

It's a consultancy so the amount of work available can vary

Cambridge Consultants2018-11-07

"Nice perks, good work-life balance, but bullying commonplace in a place riven with politics"

Current Employee - Consultant
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Cambridge Consultants full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company looks after its staff really well, it supportive of working parents, allows flexible working arrangements, travel insurance, health insurance, free lunch & breakfast. The workforce is varied and diverse. If you don't know the company, you may be fooled into thinking this is a Consultancy; it is NOT. This is a technology design & development company. If you're not an engineer, you may struggle to... keep busy.

Cons

The indicators make people very selfish and compete with each other, so there is no real team-spirit. If you are not an engineer or not on any sizeable large development project, you will forever struggle to survive. They have a tiny commercial/business consulting division which is highly biased as pressure is applied to tell clients that what they need is an expensive product development project. Politics are... pretty awful; bullying, emotional abuse, and character assassination are common. You need to have tough skin to survive there.

Advice to Management

Re-define what it is you do and what you don't do. Get rid of indicators which reward selfish and nasty behavior. Don't tolerate the bullies and keep it professional.

Cambridge Consultants2019-08-22

"Great history, but a very toxic working environment with limited prospects"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Cambridge Consultants full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Colleagues on the "shop floor" are great Nice buildings and good facilities for engineering projects Great PR capabilities "Free" lunch, breakfast Long and interesting history Good market reputation in some sectors Clubs and societies

Cons

Company has a destructive metrics system and too many divisions which has led to a toxic, competitive environment. It discourages collaboration at any career level. Worse still, there are established cliques of people who have worked there for 10 years plus. These cliques work with the senior management to run the company. They look after their own, promoting each other, keeping a distance from others, treating them... as worker bees not colleagues. Many of these clique members are not good engineers, scientists or consultants - merely in "director" roles as a reward for managing politics. Sucess is making people in the cliques look good - skills are not important, but politics are. New tools, methods and ideas from new joiners are not encouraged, and this means that more recent experienced people are treated badly. Bullying has become acceptable, with members of the cliques thriving on it and management defending their "families" without knowing the destruction that is being done to people and market reputation. Recent market reputation has become poor, due to high prices with low perceieved value and arrogant style. When a consultancy does not bring in new ideas, what can it bring to its clients? Career progressiom is limited to those who can keep the cliques happy and gamify the metrics - for most senior people this means there is no way forward.

Advice to Management

Drop the metrics system, break up the cliques with their bullying ways and the divisions. They may be your friends, but many are bullying and making good people unhappy. The free lunch is of much less value than treating all people equally and with respect. Too many people have suffered in recent years. Bring in new managers/ leaders from outside, who have no history in the company. Shouting, intimidating and being... arrogant does not make you a manager in 2010s. Drop the arrogance, as you are destroying your once strong reputation. Stop working in areas such as strategy, manufacturing and chemistry, in which you have limited capability, aspiration or leaders with knowledge - not fair to clients and especially staff. Finally, collaborate without just listening to long servers.

Cambridge Consultants2019-06-08

"Be Realistic"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Cambridge Consultants full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great facilities - Free lunch (and breakfast if you cycle, get the bus or train to work) - Free parking onsite which is a lot better now the company built us a multi-story car park. Having worked in Cambridge for many years, I fully appreciate free parking! - Great transport links, especially now Cambridge North is open - The people. I can't stress enough how fantastic the people are; both intellectually and... personally. I would happily say this is the most engaging and supportive company I have worked in to date. - I feel valued. I am seen as an expert in my area, and the advice I give to my colleagues is always met with respect and understanding (most of the time). - Acknowledgement. Although I have not been with the business for an overly long period of time in comparison to others, the work I have done has been praised and appreciated. You need to take ownership of your own career, the harder you work the more opportunities become available. - Work life balance. Despite it being a consultancy you don't work ridiculous hours, and if you do work extra hours it's because you want to, not because you're forced to.

Cons

- Salaries aren't as competitive as they think - Stuck in old ways of working All businesses have pros and cons, the way Cambridge Consultants operates is good for some but not for others, be realistic.

Advice to Management

Trust your junior employees more, you hired us for a reason so let us show you what we can do. Be more forward thinking in all aspects of the business, especially management.

Cambridge Consultants2018-03-17
  5. "Interesting work with a team of talented people."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Cambridge, England

I worked at Cambridge Consultants full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A broad range of technology projects and talented individuals make it a great place to learn from others. A generally positive culture fosters a can do attitude from staff. Very open to input from all staff at any level. Alan Richardson is a good CEO.

Cons

Poor flexibility for working parents. They offer flexible hours but not part time support. Consultancy can demand short notice travel. Some seniors in the business have very poor people skills, but as long time employees their behaviour is tolerated.

Advice to Management

Don't put up with the old boys.

Cambridge Consultants2014-06-08

"Positive Company, Great Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Vice President in Boston, MA

I worked at Cambridge Consultants full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of variety in Projects, working with a group of very smart people - you learn a lot, and you 'up your game' by mixing with very experienced peers. The team has energy, and a great collaborative culture. Metrics are very clear, and there is in effect a self-selection by results, so that you are always working with very experienced and driven individuals.

Cons

As is the nature of consultancy, sometimes there is a fighting over the 'percentage of the pie' i.e. who gets what percentage of the client contract price, rather than focus on growing the pie.

Advice to Management

Miller Heiman Sales Methodology is a very useful tool, but sometimes the focus on mechanics of the sales pipeline process gets bogged down - don't use this for settling scores or pointing out other's weaknesses, but to really collaborate to increase the effectiveness of prospecting.

Cambridge Consultants2014-07-31