Camelot Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 30 November 2018

2.7
Nigel Railton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Remuneration & Flexible Working make for a good work-life balance" (in 10 reviews)

• "It's great to see how your work can change lives, both for our winners and for good causes" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some of the senior management don't have a clue" (in 9 reviews)

• "Clear hierarchy with a subtle bullying culture that cascades down from the top" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Loved working here"

Former Employee - Sales Trainer in Watford, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Sales Trainer in Watford, East of England, England

I worked at Camelot Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment
    Shared vision
    Fantastic team mates

Cons

Communications regarding change were sometimes lost through the management chain

2. "Good company"

I worked at Camelot Group full-time

Pros

Friendly environment to work in

Cons

Organisation of certain things could be better

"SAP Development Manager"

I worked at Camelot Group full-time

Pros

Friendly, proactive organisation. Invests in new technology.

Cons

Salary and benefits have been reduced since being acquired by the Ontario teachers pension plan

Advice to Management

Being such a small team career opportunities are limited.

15 Oct 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value all feedback and we’re dedicated to making Camelot a great place to work so we appreciate your comments.

"Unprofessional, no value and manager are bullys!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watford, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watford, East of England, England

I have been working at Camelot Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Facilities are nice and modern;
    - Casual dress code;
    - Good technologies to work with.

Cons

- No leadership skills within the company;
    - Lack of professionalism: senior members and middle management spend their days with their headphones on, watching youtube videos, reading dailymail and moaning at others members. Added to that the daily two hours spent in the pub during lunch time, drinking 2-3 pints before heading back to work. Not to mention managers do not respond to emails (some have over 10,000 unread emails!!)
    - Middle management do not listen to their employees and continue to overload them with work;
    - No room for personal development and training. They dont have any online training (like lynda or udemy);
    - A lot of politics internally for the budget allocation which creates conflicts between teams;
    - No regular one-to-one with managers;
    - There is a bullying culture. HR / management are obsessed at getting rid of people and there were recent redundancy plans in the IT department.

Advice to Management

Start to listen your employees or you will lose the license in 2023... Stop bullying employees, stop monitoring them and stop lying to your employees!

"Just work in London"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watford, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watford, East of England, England

I worked at Camelot Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good if you happen to live near Watford. Flexible working if you have a good manager. Great people for the most part.

Cons

Bad management. No trust in HR as integrity no longer applies at Camelot. Bad location. Pay and benefits constantly changed for the worse. Leadership has seemed to have lost the plot with restructure after restructure. Don't think that this company can win the next bid unless some major changes are made, so if you are looking for long term security maybe look somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Senior management should listen to their people, they are on the ground and experts in their field. If senior management were more approachable Camelot would be better placed to resolve their problems rather than covering them up. Camelot use to really live by it's values, drive this in to all levels.

20 Sep 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we're sorry to read that you had a negative experience of working here. There has been a lot of change at Camelot over the last year and we are confident... More

"One year on & going strong"

I have been working at Camelot Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- A unique and successful company
    - Great brand and reputation
    - The CEO and Executives give regular updates
    - Senior management have been very encouraging and motivational when it comes to career progression and development
    - Management and senior leaders have given me the opportunity to do-more whilst giving regular praise and feedback

Cons

- Location isn't for everyone

3 Aug 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We value all feedback and we’re dedicated to making Camelot a great place to work so it's wonderful to read your comments.

It's great to hear that you... More

"Contact Centre Experience"

Former Employee - Operations Sales Executive in North Watford, England
    Former Employee - Operations Sales Executive in North Watford, England

I worked at Camelot Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Adequate salary for what was expected and the office was modern and 'trendy' (if that's your thing). Lots of different skills to learn in what was generally a fairly mundane telephone based role. Lots of experience to call on from some managers initially (some moved on unfortunately) and there are some internal progression opportunities available, which I will come onto in the 'cons' section

Cons

It's a telephone based role contacting retailers to try and get them to do things that they should be doing anyway. There is a massive language barrier with a lot of the retailers and trying to get them to even understand who Camelot or the National Lottery are is a battle half the time. The role itself is mundane and is over-complicated by the fact that they would rather you become a jack of all trades learning the numerous different 'lines' rather than becoming an expert in the one that I was there to do (supposedly sales). The grade 3 management are out of touch across the floor and are rarely there. They will dip in from time to time and demand forced fun exercises whenever a staff engagement survey is due and then disappear off for the next few months. There is a clique mentality that is rife across the various parts of the Contact Centre that could easily be stamped out if they removed the internal messaging system (which is heavily abused and as far as I am aware is unregulated) and giving the managers the power to stop certain people from sitting next to each other. Progression is available but you would be best looking outside of the department, I saw several internal promotions within my area that were laughed at by the rest of the team as they were people who were either terrible at their job beforehand or had an appalling attitude and work ethic. From what I could see it was down to them sucking up to the right people as was the case with other promotions across the Contact Centre from what I saw during my time there.

Advice to Management

Treat the Contact Centre like a place for work, stop trying to be trendy and fun and just encourage people to come in and work and make sure that you actively look to purge the 'lifers' who are taking an easy ride and allowed to get away with doing nothing. Step away from some of the internal promotions as your inability to cover your blatant bias towards the people you like, rather than the ones who are the best candidates, is obvious to most.

28 Aug 2018

Thanks for leaving a review. We value honest feedback and we are dedicated to making Camelot a great place to work. We’re sorry to read you had a negative experience of working at Camelot. We have a... More

"Awful leadership from middle managers !!!"

Current Employee - Rse
    Current Employee - Rse

I have been working at Camelot Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job with short work days.

Cons

no leadership from regional managers. more of a merchandisers role , not a sales role.

Advice to Management

Its a good job you have a monopoly as the way you treat your customers its no surprise sales are down

31 Jul 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value honest feedback and we strive to make Camelot a great place to work.

We’re sorry to read your comments, we have a desire to continuously... More

"Terrible Management, Location and Pay Rise"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Watford, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Watford, East of England, England

I worked at Camelot Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some nice people and my manager was amazing

Cons

Canteen is terrible. Had food poisoning three times there. It's ridiculous as there's nothing nearby due to the stupid location. How can you trap us Tuesdays and Thursdays why not give lunchtime buses everyday.

I wouldn't mind location if they had option of company cars then I could drive from London but the hassle of TfL is ridiculous.

Management are terrible. Since the new restructure and new employment of certain managers, it's going all downhill. One is like a chihuahua who is small but barks loud nonsense. The other is opposite, large but also shouts nonsense. How can you not know the names of people in your own team and ask via group hangouts if this person works in your team, very unprofessional and embarrassing.

Furthermore, they tend to bully you. They can tell you to do one thing and when you do it they penalise you asking why you did it that way. Never take ownership of their own actions. Also pay rise was ridiculous. After the pay rise I could afford another pack of chewing gum. Thanks Camelot.

Advice to Management

Nigel, please can you make sure you see what your managers are up to? Some are sitting on their chairs all day with big headphones delegating work to the less senior manager whenever a question is asked to them. Your little chihuahuas bark up the wrong tree and start bullying people threatening to sack them and also boasting about sacking other people. Give perks to people a grade lower for example company car so its easier to get to work. Improve canteen, how can you bring food out in a bucket that was under a sink!

23 Jul 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We’re sorry to read you had a negative experience of working at Camelot. We have a desire to continuously improve and we do take all feedback on... More

"Best Company so far"

Current Employee - Head of Infrastructure in Watford, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Head of Infrastructure in Watford, East of England, England

I have been working at Camelot Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, good salary and benefits, great people!

Cons

Location could be an issue for someone living in the SE.

13 Jul 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value all feedback and we’re dedicated to making Camelot a great place to work so we’re really pleased that you've had such a positive experience... More