Camelot Group Employee Reviews about "watford"

Updated Feb 17, 2021

Found 14 of over 150 reviews

3.5
Camelot Group CEO Nigel Railton (no image)
Nigel Railton
Pros
  • "Location management sales good causes(in 18 reviews)

• "I've worked for Camelot previously, I left for personal reasons and have returned a while back(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Watford isn’t ideal for everyone(in 14 reviews)

• "Camelot promote within as long as your friendly with the right people(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "watford"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Place to Work

Feb 1, 2021 - Sales Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility Responsibility A place that cares Leadership

Cons

Watford isn’t ideal for everyone

Content Creator and Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value all feedback and we’re dedicated to making Camelot a great place to work. We’re really pleased that you're having a positive experience working at Camelot. Thanks again for your comments, they are greatly appreciated.

2. 3.0
      Former Employee

Good window into the lottery industry

Feb 17, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lovely people who are really passionate about good causes

Cons

Head office on the outskirts of Watford

Content Creator and Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value all feedback and we’re dedicated to making Camelot a great place to work. We’re really pleased that you had a positive experience of working at Camelot and that you enjoyed your time here. Thanks again for your comments, they are greatly appreciated.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Company

Dec 1, 2020 - Financial Analyst in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team and good culture

Cons

Head office in Watford, limited roles in London

4. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Questionable ethics of management

Nov 26, 2020 - Accountant in Watford, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Canteen, car park, easy to stand out from the crowd in a limited gene pool

Cons

Hard to justify ethics, uninspiring staff/management, grotty offices, image of the lottery, location (a trading estate in Watford)

2 people found this review helpful

Recruitment Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value honest feedback and we strive to make Camelot a great place to work. We’re sorry to read some of your comments, we have a desire to continuously improve and we do take all feedback on board. We hope you know how to raise any specific queries or concerns with your manager or the People team internally to get the support you need.

5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A good job but limited opportunities

Sep 11, 2019 - Retail Sales Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

The role itself is pretty straightforward in principle. I have to visit on average 10-11 retailers per day and sell in whatever campaigns we are currently focused on. The retailers are generally okay to deal with as the National Lottery means a lot to their business and you're not actually trying to get them to commit to buying/taking physical stock from you. The role is 2/3 merchandising and 1/3 story telling. The job pays well, you get a suitable car to do the job in and the benefits are overall good. My work/life balance is good and there is a degree of flexibility with the role which is good

Cons

Too much is expected of us, in a 30 minute call we are sometimes trying to deliver 5/6/7 different messages whilst making sure that we are ticking a thousand boxes in our digital tool as well as making sure we're following our sales steps program. Opportunities to progress for field based employees outside of the Watford HQ are very limited despite the fact that Camelot has a ton of different departments, we're pretty much all scrapping for our managers roles or the occasional role in national accounts. The way this company rates it's people regarding pay rises and bonuses is farcical. Every conversation I've had over the past 18 months is basically telling me that I need to 'influence' a certain group of managers. It doesn't matter if I contribute elsewhere on a project or if I get good feedback, if the small group of people that review my yearly performance don't know who I am then I won't get the 10% bonus that the job advertises. Working hard and doing a good job is secondary to sucking up to the right people.

4 people found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

A highly politicized, cliquey environment

Jul 11, 2019 - Team Leader in Watford, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good salaries Occasional training courses Prestigious employer

Cons

Terrible location on outskirts of industrial estate in Watford Several influential interest groups who only hire and foster their own kind Some 'management' makes decisions based on what is good for their CV and not the benefit of the cause Promotion opportunities are scarce; outsiders (friends) are parachuted in

3 people found this review helpful

Recruitment Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value honest feedback and we’re dedicated to making Camelot a great place to work. We’re sorry to read you had a negative experience of working at Camelot. We have a desire to continuously improve and we do take all feedback on board. Thanks for sharing your insight and we wish you all the best for the future.

7. 2.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Improvement needed but okayish experience

Mar 26, 2019 - QA Analyst in Watford, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent, friendly enough team who will always support and provide a good atmosphere. Big christmas party budget.

Cons

Terrible location unless you live near Watford or have a car. Company does offer shuttle service to/from Watford Junction and Moor Park but somehow manages to not be walkable from any of the Watford overground or underground stations. The Moor Park driver is an accident waiting to happen as well. Dreadful onsite canteen unless you enjoy throwback to school days of the 80's. No real alternative lunch options though you can get a shuttle bus on some week days. Site can get very claustrophobic. Far too many layers of QA managers who all do the same thing but with different job titles. Far too many single points of failure in projects with only 1 or 2 SME's in operations or specific areas. No downtime in projects, too many projects at the same time which exhausts your workforce. Feels like a divide between permanent staff and contractors.

8. 5.0

Great Company!

Jan 9, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Volunteering opportunities Supportive, friendly culture Great colleagues Great onsite coffee shop and restaurant

Cons

About 10 minutes from Watford station though there is a shuttle bus

1 person found this review helpful

Employer Brand Manager

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A unique company to work for

Apr 19, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked in the finance department for 3 years in 2 different sub teams. Previous to Camelot I worked at EY and Cadbury plc (now Mondelez) which are both great places to work so I had high expectations when I joined and I have not been disappointed. I have honestly found Camelot to be a fantastic place to work, on the one hand it's exciting working for such a large and high profile organisation that generates huge sums of money for society. On the other hand it feels like working for an SME where roles are broad with lots of responsibility/ accountability - you're not a small cog in a huge machine! My experience working in the finance dept is also very different to some of the other reviews that I've read. Compared to other organisations I've experienced or heard about, the work life balance here is very good and flexible working is not a problem. The employees at Camelot (both in an outside of finance) are generally friendly and approachable. Just like at EY and Cadbury I am enjoying working with intelligent, driven people who push you to do better and I am definitely still learning and developing here. Finally the team is big enough to offer career opportunities for strong performers. There are financial accounting, commercial finance, finance operations and business assurance sub teams so plenty of opportunity to broaden your experience if that's what you want to do.

Cons

The location is half way between Watford and Rickmansworth so is not that easy to access unless you drive. There is now plenty of car parking (on site and on an overflow a 2 minute walk away) but if you rely on public transport then you need to get a shuttle bus from Watford junction station.

4 people found this review helpful

Camelot Group Response

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review, we’re dedicated to making Camelot a great place to work so we loved reading your feedback. We’re really pleased that you enjoy working here and that you find it both exciting and challenging and we hope that you’ll continue to develop your career here with us. Thanks again for your comments, they are greatly appreciated.

10. 3.0

Lots of potential

Apr 30, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance. Flexible hours

Cons

Bad location unless you live in Watford and drive

1 person found this review helpful

Camelot Group Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We value all feedback and we’re dedicated to making Camelot a great place to work.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 14 Reviews