Canadian Natural Resources Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 21 Jul 2019

Found 225 reviews

2.9
Steve W. Laut
Pros
  • "Stock savings plan would be great if the stock was any good(in 18 reviews)

• "Good pay, friendly work environment(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Food options in camp are a bit of a hit & miss (so a few ppl do bring their own food); there was no progression matrix set up for admins in early 2016(in 11 reviews)

• "I know that in CNRL Canada, they work seriously and me I do better my tasks in order to reach the main goal of the employer(in 11 reviews)

1. "Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland

I have been working at Canadian Natural Resources full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is small company with a good working environment and friendly people.

Cons

Majority of their value is in Canadian oil sands, becomes difficult for the company in low oil price scenario.

Advice to Management

Diversify asset portfolio.

Canadian Natural Resources2015-06-16
  2. "Avoid"

Former Employee - Geotechnical Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Canadian Natural Resources full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Share scheme and holiday

Cons

Terrible management and absent bonus system with no transparency. Zero career progression. Management reserved for old white men who mange through bullying tactics. Openly sexist with a boys club vibe.

Advice to Management

Employ some younger more dynamic individuals and give them the power to override the dinosaurs there.

Canadian Natural Resources2019-05-27
  3. "Senior Engineer"

I worked at Canadian Natural Resources full-time

Pros

Salary, family benefit, Visa support

Cons

Office inner environment create tensions.

Canadian Natural Resources2019-03-16

"Miserable low-cost sweat shop with untrained mid level management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland

Pros

Nothing good-except the stock options but I bet you, you won't wait until they are mature and you run for your dear life.

Cons

This is not a corporate organization. I have never seen nor heard of the amount of bullying going on in CNRI elsewhere. You see employees suffering nervous break down in meetings. Very poorly trained middle management staff who do not know their job Not an equal opportunity company- I pity all the folks they hire from India, Nigeria, Middle East and other Asian countries etc, pay them poorly and treat them like a piece...

Advice to Management

I urge the management from Calgary to look into poor performance of your Aberdeen office. Is there nothing you can observe?

Canadian Natural Resources2018-01-16
    • "Great mission statement - reality fails to live up to it"

I worked at Canadian Natural Resources full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great colleagues and positive team working Reward package positive in terms of share offering

Cons

Culture - negative and climate of fear pervading many levels, even if below the surface Mission statement not lived out in terms of developing people and integrity - in my experience patchy and not across the organisation Laggardly attitude towards flexible working

Advice to Management

Live the reality of the mission statement - words are meaningless without corresponding actions and behaviours

Canadian Natural Resources2017-03-26
      • "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Production Operations Supervisor in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Canadian Natural Resources full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Mean what they say, Take safety very seriously. Solid induction gave a great intro to the company.

Cons

called themselves a Low cost operator and they lived by it. Although have worked with companies since who were pretty comparable spending wise despite a bigger balance sheet

Canadian Natural Resources2017-02-10
        • "CNRL"

Current Employee - Heavy Equipment Technician in Fort McMurray, AB

Pros

Good pay Great shift Bonus plan

Cons

Camp job Lack of specific training

Canadian Natural Resources2019-07-10
        • "Rewarding work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Canadian Natural Resources full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work is rewarding work. The management team is great, and the savings plan is awesome.

Cons

Unsure of compensation (salary). Not compensated for working in the field

Advice to Management

Look at giving compensation if you are traveling for work

Canadian Natural Resources2019-06-28

"Team Lead"

I have been working at Canadian Natural Resources

Pros

Continuous improvement mindset around production and costs Company is stable with long term plans to continue growing

Cons

Companies claims safety is a value, but it is not actively discussed, improved or enforced Company doesn’t value career progression Micromanagement culture, no trust on team leads and managers, there is a tight control from senior management VPs and Management Committee High turnover of professionals Low salaries makes it difficult to attract experienced candidates

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees, compensation and career progression to retain and attract top personnel Let the leads and managers do their job Implement work processes to ensure consistent and sustainable improvements in personal safety, process safety, operations and maintenance instead of relying on key people for everything Company is big enough to be considered a corporation, still managed like a mom and pop shop by few...

Canadian Natural Resources2019-07-09
        • "Sinking ship"

I have been working at Canadian Natural Resources

Pros

Some of the greatest field experience in industry for engineers and all alike.

Cons

Company has a terrible sweat shop culture and a get it done mentality. Punitive safety culture for field personnel working long hours everyday to finish their job on time.

Advice to Management

This company used to be a leader in the energy industry. Remember talented individuals will slowly move to greener pastures with no intention of returning.

Canadian Natural Resources2019-07-21