Capgemini Associate Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

UK - All CitiesAssociate Consultant

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Rewarding place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training (especially Collaborating with Clients and High Impact Communication as well as Core Consulting Skills), wonderful culture and values, good client engagements, bright colleagues, responsibility matches rank in the organisation, work-life balance, nice management, brilliant Applaud system for recognising employees

Cons

Role could involve lots of travel, salary not as competitive, where you end up depends on project you get assigned to but sometimes could mean staying up in a hotel somewhere, away from home/ base location

Advice to Management

Continue trusting the employees with their work. Micro-managing is a bad practice I have seen in other organisations. It never works.

2. "Big company, SOME good opportunities, average pay"

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Working for such a large organisation means you get to see many different parts of the business
    - Flexible working patterns are very much encouraged on most projects

Cons

- Pay is below market average
    - Opportunities to work abroad are virtually zero (which is odd considering Cap are an international company)

Advice to Management

- Pay your staff more otherwise they will keep on leaving

"Good place to start career"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England

I worked at Capgemini full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a good place to start your career, or maybe to go if you are approaching retirement. The people were very nice and compared to other consultancies the pace is slower (but not boring) and you can get the opportunity to do some interesting work if you prove yourself. Many grads I know at other top consultancies work very long hours doing tedious work (e.g. basic admin work, organising sharepoints, and preparing slide decks). When I was there I did work like that very rarely.

Cons

I would say that the company pays slightly below market rate compared to the other top consultancies, although in my opinion this was made up for by the shorter hours generally expected of you. I would also say that training opportunities were sparser and sometimes it was difficult to get time off from your main role. Like many graduate schemes you can get stuck doing work which is below your ability, simply because you are the lowest level and you can be seen as an ad-hoc resource.

Advice to Management

Graduates were brought on to train into future leaders at the company, but training is sparse and the responsibility given to grads is very low. These issues should be addressed.

5. "Associate Consultant | Business Technology Solutions (BTS) | Application Services UK"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England

Pros

Liberal and progressive culture is both present and encouraged.
    Exposure to huge MNCs across a wide range of sectors.
    Extremely multinational workforce.
    Hosting of external-speaker events on stimulating business and non-business issues.

Cons

Remuneration is significantly below that of competitors.
    Encouragement of liberal and progressive culture seems to be more driven by 'keeping smiles on faces', rather than as a mechanism for tangible growth and innovation.
    Confusing intracompany competition for work by different business units, often resulting in an unreliable horizon of opportunity.
    Tight training budget - if it's not on the (very limited) training path for your role, you're not doing it.

Advice to Management

Increase graduate salaries.
    Improve the rate and depth of training so that junior consultants are able to contribute to 'real' work sooner. Admin tasks provide essential development towards advanced MS Office literacy but, ultimately, I did not study a masters just to spend 2 years as a glorified receptionist. This is perhaps why so many graduates spend 2 years at the company before taking a big salary jump into a competitor.

"Graduate programme"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England

Pros

Good structure to the scheme (training, internal work, project roles), starting salary in 2012 was £36,000, opportunity to work on projects with senior consultants, great social scene amongst the graduates, modern offices In central London, at least 10 training days a year, starting training in Paris for one week

Cons

Don't expect to spend much time in London in your first couple of years, can be difficult to influence projects you get on, internal work (organising events, writing papers, creating frameworks) is a requirement, performance review process can feel political

Advice to Management

Listen more to which teams the grads want to be placed in, be more open to feedback especially from employees leaving (I had to ask for an exit interview, no one had asked for one or seemed interested in why I had decided to leave).

7. "Associate Consultant/Senior Consultant, Capgemini Consulting UK Plc"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant/Senior Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant/Senior Consultant in London, England

I worked at Capgemini full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great graduate program, really gives you great training and a breadth of opportunity
    Work hard play hard culture - a fun place to work, met some great people
    Rigorous capability development and performance assessment (UK business)

Cons

Inferiority complex with regards to other consulting players (e.g. Accenture)
    Not always clear how consulting, technology and outsourcing value propositions came together
    Work hours- need to self-manage
    Opportunities to work abroad exist but you need to organise it yourself - very little support and integration between businesses

8. "Great graduate programme"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England

I worked at Capgemini full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very sociable and inclusive colleagues made my graduate programme at Capgemini an amazing experience. I'm still friends with many of the people I met there and believe I can count on the professional networks I made there for my lifetime.

Cons

Your performance reviews include heavy weighting towards the work you do internally (at least it was like that when I was there). So consultants who take on more demanding projects sometimes don't have as much time to contribute to internal work (such as research etc) as consultants on less demanding projects, and therefore your performance review is negatively affected.

"Good place to start your career"

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, good work culture, good opportunites

Cons

Not in the same league as other consultancies. Leans more to the outsourcing model than the consulting one

Advice to Management

Try and develop junior talent more in experience and skills

10. "Good for a 2-3 of years, then move on...."

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England

Pros

Good start in consulting and an opportunity to construct a career path. Opportunity to travel and build up a portfolio of clients over two year graduate training period.

Cons

Limited opportunities at lower level. Body-shopping. Siloed team structure. Little attention to professional goals and training of entry level consultants. Would rather burn you out to make maximum profit from you than support you in developing in the direction you want to go. Litte thought given to appropriateness of resources. All but one of the projects I have worked on have had high levels of incompetence

Advice to Management

Short term view of employee resources will result in best people leaving for better opportunities elsewhere. Short term profit gain will result in longer term issues.

11. This is the end of reviews that meet your filter criteria (UK - All Cities). Below you will find more reviews from other countries

12. "Good company to work"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Kolkata (India)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Kolkata (India)

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First I would say about job security. I have never seen anyone got pink slip except 2 guys who had some real behavioral issues. A very fun place to work. Everyone is very cooperative and can learn from them. Its really good for freshers as well as for those who want to stay long in a company (If they dont mind about hikes :P). Really great work life balance at least for me and all the guys I can see in my floor :)

Cons

Salary is not great and HR policy is not so good. Its a manager driven company. Everything is depend upon your manager. Now a days can see cost cutting everywhere including financing your certification.

Advice to Management

Please look into the cons I have mentioned.

Capgemini Response

19 Oct 2017 – Social Recruiting Consultant

Thank you for such an insightful review. We appreciate your feedback on work flexibility and job security at Capgemini. We hear you on the concerns that you have raised, and will alert the right... More