Capgemini Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Capgemini CEO and Director Paul Hermelin
Paul Hermelin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance often challenging" (in 375 reviews)

• "There is no work/life balance for the average employee" (in 108 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Enjoying it so far"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Potential for fast progression if you work hard and deliver. Good benefits and flexible working hours/locations. Comfortable expenses policy if you travel and work away from home a lot.

Cons

Each project team can be completely different, which can be a mixed experience. Healthy work life balance is encouraged, but while on a project, long hours are often needed in order to deliver.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Capgemini Response

13 Mar 2018 – Recruitment

Thank you for the review! It's encouraging to hear your positive experience working with us. If you start to feel your work-life balance is being affected, please don't hesitate to speak to someone!... More

2. "Good company to start the industry of consulting in."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with lots of support and learning

Cons

Can sometimes feel lost in such a large company

Advice to Management

Focus on promoting current staff before hiring new ones.

3. "3 years as a software developer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good training, people generally friendly, corporate events are well run, can retain good people for decades

Cons

The project pipeline in the UK is very poor, often you will not be able to work in the way you are trained to do as clients have poor working hygeine

Advice to Management

Currently the core value is comfort, we chase large accounts but hate the way we are expected to work on them. Software engineers who are good don't stick around because the work is so boring.

4. "Graduate Software Engineer (3 years) - would advise to leave after 2-3 years"

Former Employee - Software Engineer Lead in London, England
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Lead in London, England

I worked at Capgemini full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Capgemini employees are friendly and make the environment a great place to work
    - Opportunity to work with well known Clients

Cons

- Starting salary for grads is the same regardless of region
    - Pay progression is extremely slow - salary is below market rate. After 3 years in the company, you would most likely be paid less or same as a Capgemini Consultant (CDC) graduate starting salary. Engineers are one of the worst paid even though it is a tech company
    - External experienced hire joiners with 2-3 years experience are paid more than an internal employee who joined since the grad scheme even though your technical skills may be a lot better
    - Grad Software Engineers who cannot code or are very bad coders, this is what happens when the hiring process do not assess technical skills (you will still get paid the same regardless). If you are a decent coder, you can get a much higher salary elsewhere, so id recommend to just stay for 2-3 years
    - Moving projects is difficult - you are just a resource, if they are making money out of you, they would want you to stay there.

Advice to Management

- Improve the hiring process... Ensure that engineers can actually code.
    - For engineers that can code, improve the pay package otherwise they will leave and get paid a lot more elsewhere..
    - Value technical skills ... it is a tech company yet something so simple is overlooked

"Good company, great learning opportunities and great inclusive culture."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cheltenham, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cheltenham, England

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are lots of great opportunities which you have to step up and grab. My degree is sponsored so I get to study for free all while working with big reputable clients.

Cons

Starting at the bottom means salary is not in line with market value. It is often difficult to distinguish yourself from your peers and be rewarded for it.

Advice to Management

Assess each individual separately and then give credit to those who out perform the others. Provide the same opportunities to everyone and not just to the same people.

6. "Good company to work for although pay could be better"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Telford, England
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Telford, England

I worked at Capgemini full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good training opportunities, staff generally treated very well, decent management, good progression opportunities if you put the work in.

Cons

Wages are generally quite low and below market rates.

Advice to Management

Bring wages in line with market rates.

"Friendlier than most consultancies but outdated and deluded"

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible in terms of what where you want your career to go - you can drive your career
    Flexible in terms of working from home when needed (depends on project) and sabbaticals,illness etc
    Happy to pay for professional certifications and the like
    Massive company so there's many experts to learn from
    Works in many sectors
    The AIE is an incredible scheme which prototypes the hottest tech!
    Not a bad starting point in a career in tech

Cons

The culture/values doesn't really mean anything when you barely ever interact with Cap
    Training for Graduates is minimal and completely different depending on department (some train very well - e.g. 3 month training period before actual work, some just throw you in with no training) - very organised with no prewritten path for many departments
    No official rotation - you can ask/fight to get changed but depending on your skills/experience and available positions you could be stuck doing something you hate
    No technical interviews for Grad software developers leads to working with people who are inexperience, have many bad practices are a pain to work with (especially when they earn the same or more than you!)
    Many people end up in positions unsuited to their skills (Software developers stuck operating as PMOS or Testers for years)
    Pay/Package is quite poor compared to other consultancies or any tech company really (Pay also doesn't take location into account)
    Many silly corporate videos that must be watched and are patronising
    People who talk the talk and tick the corporate boxes will get promoted despite not being valuable team members - hard when someone wearing a suit doing nothing gets all the credit and superior pay to the hard working delivery teams
    Software developers are in a way an afterthought - only now are Macbooks becoming a standard , still stuck buying rubbish lenovo/dell laptops leaving devlopers working in windows
    Very few projects in London ( Capgemini focuses on the projects it can win - cheaper in worse places where no other consultants want to go)
    Many projects are so poorly run that its killing the delivery teams - Crazy timescales, teams too small to manage and some higher up just shaking hands and saying "yes we can" - It's particularly evident when we have to hire other contractors to make up for the space
    Ratio of technical people to Business people is silly
    Still stuck using archaic corporate software (a lot of the internal software is a joke)
    Progression is limited in that it's slightly who you know (They'll get you onto the good projects and put in a good word ) and getting the right project - delivery isn't screamed about unless the project is pulling in massive revenue
    Too much focus on shifting work to offshore - It's cheaper yes but it leads to very poorly implemented solutions and more work for onshore people to fix.
    Often doesn't feel like you're part of the company due to the distributed nature of consultancy - it's lonely
    Doesn't provide as much variety as you might think due to lack of people leading to people being stuck on projects too long (1.5years+is very standard)

Advice to Management

Formalise your interview/hiring process as well as the technical element for technical positions
    Focus on your technical people and retaining them - they're the ones that actually make you money not the guys talking loudly in suits!
    Formalise your grad programme across the entire company - I shouldn't have a completely different experience to another grad just because of which department chose us and who has their act together
    Aim to become a meritocracy - value the people who deliver something great - Don't make them wait for some silly "promotion cycle "- Reward their skills now before they leave!
    Stop saying yes to ridiculous client requests
    Give grads a choice in what they do when they join, maybe re implement some kind of rotation scheme
    Give better , structured training to grads
    Rethink the need for working on client site all the time
    STOP PUSHING OFFSHORE PLEASE.

"Joined as a Graduate Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at Capgemini full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Opportunity to work with well known clients.
    - The people make Capgemini amazing.
    - You work on real projects as soon as you start.
    - Your work is pretty much the same as a normal employee (not treated like a junior). The better you are, the more responsibility you will have.
    - Software Engineering starting salary as a graduate is decent.

Cons

- Software Engineering graduates are paid the same regardless of region. So London based individuals, goodluck if you are renting out.
    - After 2 years, pay is no longer competitive and way below market rate. In your 3rd year at the company, you will most likely still earn less or same as a Capgemini Consultant (CC) graduate.
    - Not really a graduate programme - very little training is provided. Rotations every 6months to a year? nope, you really have to voice yourself to rotate to a different client. They will want to keep you on the same client as long as possible (1.5+ years).

Advice to Management

- Value engineers more. Engineers are one of the lowest paid at Capgemini. You will lose the best talent to tech companies and investment banks who are willing to pay much more. Technology is the future, developers are the future.
    -For project assigments, put more consideration to individual performance rather than the mentality of "you are expected to do your work". The complexity of the work may differ - you may be doing work way beyond your pay grade, you may be managing or even leading a project.

9. "Software Engiener"

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Variety of Projects and Opportunity, Good work ethics, Relaxing environment to work in

Cons

If you end up in dead project and you have no where else to go then you might end up doing the role that you would not want to progress in your career. Upper management does not recognise talented junior talents, a lot of good engineers find out they are not compensated very well and leave. Salary is below average in the market and no bonus until you get to more senior level.

"Software engineer graduate"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined as a graduate and have enjoyed the time I have spent at Capgemini

Capgemini provide graduates with excellent training opportunities. I have experienced this first hand and have attended a 5 week academy in addition to other courses that have allowed me to develop a deep understanding in my area. Due to this investment, Capgemini expect you to become certified in your chosen area.

From my experience employees support and collaborate with their colleagues allowing for a fun and productive environment. I believe there to be a good work life balance, but am aware this can vary depending on your project.

Management are supportive of progression and are often approachable. Promotion can be achieved on a yearly basis.

I feel I am entering the next stage of my career; in my current position I am uncertain whether there will be enough opportunities for me to meet my aspirations and whether Capgemini will continue to invest in training (after finishing the graduate scheme). However, it would be unfair for me to comment negatively on this as I am yet to experience it.

I would recommend the graduate scheme to people wanting a career in IT.

Cons

Unable to think of any Cons- I have enjoyed my experience as a graduate