Capgemini Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Software engineer graduate"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined as a graduate and have enjoyed the time I have spent at Capgemini

Capgemini provide graduates with excellent training opportunities. I have experienced this first hand and have attended a 5 week academy in addition to other courses that have allowed me to develop a deep understanding in my area. Due to this investment, Capgemini expect you to become certified in your chosen area.

From my experience employees support and collaborate with their colleagues allowing for a fun and productive environment. I believe there to be a good work life balance, but am aware this can vary depending on your project.

Management are supportive of progression and are often approachable. Promotion can be achieved on a yearly basis.

I feel I am entering the next stage of my career; in my current position I am uncertain whether there will be enough opportunities for me to meet my aspirations and whether Capgemini will continue to invest in training (after finishing the graduate scheme). However, it would be unfair for me to comment negatively on this as I am yet to experience it.

I would recommend the graduate scheme to people wanting a career in IT.

Cons

Unable to think of any Cons- I have enjoyed my experience as a graduate

2. "Friendlier than most consultancies but outdated and deluded"

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible in terms of what where you want your career to go - you can drive your career
    Flexible in terms of working from home when needed (depends on project) and sabbaticals,illness etc
    Happy to pay for professional certifications and the like
    Massive company so there's many experts to learn from
    Works in many sectors
    The AIE is an incredible scheme which prototypes the hottest tech!
    Not a bad starting point in a career in tech

Cons

The culture/values doesn't really mean anything when you barely ever interact with Cap
    Training for Graduates is minimal and completely different depending on department (some train very well - e.g. 3 month training period before actual work, some just throw you in with no training) - very organised with no prewritten path for many departments
    No official rotation - you can ask/fight to get changed but depending on your skills/experience and available positions you could be stuck doing something you hate
    No technical interviews for Grad software developers leads to working with people who are inexperience, have many bad practices are a pain to work with (especially when they earn the same or more than you!)
    Many people end up in positions unsuited to their skills (Software developers stuck operating as PMOS or Testers for years)
    Pay/Package is quite poor compared to other consultancies or any tech company really (Pay also doesn't take location into account)
    Many silly corporate videos that must be watched and are patronising
    People who talk the talk and tick the corporate boxes will get promoted despite not being valuable team members - hard when someone wearing a suit doing nothing gets all the credit and superior pay to the hard working delivery teams
    Software developers are in a way an afterthought - only now are Macbooks becoming a standard , still stuck buying rubbish lenovo/dell laptops leaving devlopers working in windows
    Very few projects in London ( Capgemini focuses on the projects it can win - cheaper in worse places where no other consultants want to go)
    Many projects are so poorly run that its killing the delivery teams - Crazy timescales, teams too small to manage and some higher up just shaking hands and saying "yes we can" - It's particularly evident when we have to hire other contractors to make up for the space
    Ratio of technical people to Business people is silly
    Still stuck using archaic corporate software (a lot of the internal software is a joke)
    Progression is limited in that it's slightly who you know (They'll get you onto the good projects and put in a good word ) and getting the right project - delivery isn't screamed about unless the project is pulling in massive revenue
    Too much focus on shifting work to offshore - It's cheaper yes but it leads to very poorly implemented solutions and more work for onshore people to fix.
    Often doesn't feel like you're part of the company due to the distributed nature of consultancy - it's lonely
    Doesn't provide as much variety as you might think due to lack of people leading to people being stuck on projects too long (1.5years+is very standard)

Advice to Management

Formalise your interview/hiring process as well as the technical element for technical positions
    Focus on your technical people and retaining them - they're the ones that actually make you money not the guys talking loudly in suits!
    Formalise your grad programme across the entire company - I shouldn't have a completely different experience to another grad just because of which department chose us and who has their act together
    Aim to become a meritocracy - value the people who deliver something great - Don't make them wait for some silly "promotion cycle "- Reward their skills now before they leave!
    Stop saying yes to ridiculous client requests
    Give grads a choice in what they do when they join, maybe re implement some kind of rotation scheme
    Give better , structured training to grads
    Rethink the need for working on client site all the time
    STOP PUSHING OFFSHORE PLEASE.

3. "Joined as a Graduate Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at Capgemini full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Opportunity to work with well known clients.
    - The people make Capgemini amazing.
    - You work on real projects as soon as you start.
    - Your work is pretty much the same as a normal employee (not treated like a junior). The better you are, the more responsibility you will have.
    - Software Engineering starting salary as a graduate is decent.

Cons

- Software Engineering graduates are paid the same regardless of region. So London based individuals, goodluck if you are renting out.
    - After 2 years, pay is no longer competitive and way below market rate. In your 3rd year at the company, you will most likely still earn less or same as a Capgemini Consultant (CC) graduate.
    - Not really a graduate programme - very little training is provided. Rotations every 6months to a year? nope, you really have to voice yourself to rotate to a different client. They will want to keep you on the same client as long as possible (1.5+ years).

Advice to Management

- Value engineers more. Engineers are one of the lowest paid at Capgemini. You will lose the best talent to tech companies and investment banks who are willing to pay much more. Technology is the future, developers are the future.
    -For project assigments, put more consideration to individual performance rather than the mentality of "you are expected to do your work". The complexity of the work may differ - you may be doing work way beyond your pay grade, you may be managing or even leading a project.

5. "Software Engiener"

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Variety of Projects and Opportunity, Good work ethics, Relaxing environment to work in

Cons

If you end up in dead project and you have no where else to go then you might end up doing the role that you would not want to progress in your career. Upper management does not recognise talented junior talents, a lot of good engineers find out they are not compensated very well and leave. Salary is below average in the market and no bonus until you get to more senior level.

6. "Good but lacking transparency"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Birmingham, England

Pros

+ Plenty of opportunity to cross skill and take on new roles and challenges - keeps you interested in your job as it is always evolving
    + Making a major effort to be more "Agile" / Technology Driven (unusual for a large consultancy)
    + Respect for work life balance
    + Tries to be socially / environmentally responsible
    + Range of projects & clients
    + Good promotion tracks for juniors (but more on this in cons...)
    + Some very supportive managers

Cons

- Promotion process can depend on a manager letting you submit a case, rather than individual merit. Example: My manager gave me feedback telling me I was excelling on a role designed for someone double my grade with excellent client feedback. Twice I tried to submit a promotion case (sponsored by staff more senior than my manager) and both times was told I couldn't because it was the "wrong time" by my manager. I should say this is the same as any major business - some managers are good and some are bad. I have since moved (which this manager didn't want me to do as he did not want to lose me) and got the promotion I wanted within 6 months in my new team. This does highlight a big plus of Capgemini though in that they support rotation - so if you want to leave your area for whatever reason it is normally possible.

Advice to Management

Make the promotion process more transparent, and do not allow managers to stop people submitting promotion cases. Anyone should be able to submit a case and then it should be accepted or rejected based on the case's merit / the business environment.

7. "Progression pay is lacking majorly"

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sick pay
    Benefits
    Training and clearances certificates
    Job security even with HMRC taking lots of the services back in house

Cons

When moving up the ladder you won't get
    Paid more due to the ridiculous system Cap use for there pay scales.

Advice to Management

When you get a more advanced role you should get paid more straight away, not MAYBE you will get more

8. "UK Java Team"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My colleagues are the cleverest, most collaborative, most fun-loving bunch of developers I've had the pleasure of working with. They love to share, and continually improve themselves. But most of all they love to deliver simple and sustainable solutions to complex client problems.

Cons

The resourcing processes can sometimes mean you don't get put on the best (most exciting) project. In these circumstances its up to me to make the best of things.

Advice to Management

Keep trusting us.

9. "Super company to work for!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Telford, England

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The GAP (Graduate, Apprentice, Placement) programmes and GAP support team are second to none! They support me fully through my degree apprenticeship at Aston University.
    The pro's of the scheme is that you work full time on a client project learning every day working within teams and individually whilst studying outside of work putting into practice the theories you learn at university into every day working life.
    I love my role at Capgemini - there are loads of opportunities to do exactly what you want to do in your career.
    There's a brilliant career path where you are reviewed 4 times a year for pay and promotion.
    The company benefits you can buy are brilliant value and lots of choice.
    Best decision I ever made!

Cons

If you are doing the degree apprenticeship be prepared to be doing all studying for your degree - upto 15 hours usually a week outside of working ours in the evenings and at weekends - you have to be prepared to have less of a social life and gain your degree whilst working full time.

10. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at Capgemini full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere
    Invest & trust in youth (apprentices/grads)
    Cutting edge technology services
    Great clients

Cons

Too much travel expectations
    Too many employees for a personal experience

Advice to Management

Give employees goals to achieve that isn't promotion

11. "CG"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

Pros

CG is great place to work

Cons

tagging with scope account is really a pressured one