Capital One Washington, DC Reviews

Current Employee

Great Work

17 Jun 2021 - Finance Associate in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

People are great, hours are good in FP&A, company values me

Cons

Can sometimes feel like less than a meritocracy

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great Place to Work

2 Jun 2021 - Business Manager in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I really enjoyed the Capital One work environment before leaving for business school. The company emphasizes collaboration, allowing everyone to speak their minds, and assuming positive intent in your coworkers so that you all feel like you’re working together towards common goals. Additionally, the Business Analyst and Business Manager roles are very quant-focused in a way that allowed me to grow in the rigor of my data analyses. Finally, managers are encouraged to regularly ask how you want to grow, so there are frequent opportunities to shift your job functions to better fit your goals and desires.

Cons

I didn’t experience many downsides at Capital One. The reason I left was because I wanted to shift into a different industry from finance, but I would have stayed if I wanted to remain in that industry.

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Incredible culture, amazing place to work, aspirational vision

13 Jun 2021 - Vice President of Innovation in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Capital One was a phenomenal place to work; the leadership team is hands down one of the very best at Strategy so the company is not afraid of prioritizing hard problems that matter. The only old line company to fully transition into the cloud the company is customer centered and obsessed with heading in the right direction.

Cons

A complex regulatory environment does add some friction to the day to day processes; however a culture that assumes positive intent, is forward thinking, and consensus driven help teams to make progress.

4. 5.0

Great Company

15 Jun 2021 - Associate Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Very nice environment - Great benefits - Employer values employees opinions and overall satisfaction

Cons

- Your experience will vary depending on the team you land on. I've heard mostly great positive things from others. - This probably applies to the whole industry - Managers sometimes are not always great leaders. Not that they are bad and will make you have a bad experience, but will not make you grow to full potential necessarily.

5. 5.0

Great place to work

16 Jun 2021 - Associate Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work-life balance, lots of opportunity, great tech, great culture.

Cons

Work can be uninteresting depending on the team you’re on.

6. 5.0

Incredibly Stable

14 Feb 2021 - TDP Associate Software Developer in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Incredibly stable place to work, things just hum along. Contribute to your projects and enjoy a good work life balance when you do so. Good pay for the area. Fairly modern stack, really just leans on AWS for the most part

Cons

We keep trying to internally build tools internally that AWS offers (or maybe they offer 6 months after we start work), that are poorly documented and honestly just don't work as well. We are a bank so there are definitely important places to pump the breaks and optimize for security and stability, but sometimes I think we build stuff in places that aren't in the interest of either of those things.

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great career-starter

11 Jun 2021 - Business Analyst in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Heavy investment in the development of new associates - Mostly challenging, yet interesting and engaging work - Smart/helpful co-workers - Company cares about you outside of your production

Cons

- Inconsistency among teams/roles in terms of the work you do and how challenging it is - Can be heavily political and competitive, especially in the promotion/performance management process

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company, just drink the Kool-aid and don't expect a promotion within 5 years

23 Apr 2021 - Principal Associate, Cyber Analysis in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing benefits (401k match, employee stock purchase plan w/partial matching, good medical/vision/dental, EAP, disability, FSA w/partial matching). People are generally nice and hard-working (read: very few a-holes or do-nothings).

Cons

This is a "culture first" place. Granted, the culture, on its face, sounds fantastic. Unfortunately, it's a veneer. If you dig at all, you'll find that employees aren't as valued as they tell you. Performance management is awful; it is 100% a popularity contest and getting promoted is next to impossible (5-year average). Come in at manager-level or above. DO NOT GET A JOB AS AN ASSOCIATE; YOU WILL STAY AN ASSOCIATE UNTIL YOU JUMP COMPANIES.

11 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Big Tech Culture, Cleary best among the banks

29 May 2021 - Senior Associate in Mc Lean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Really great benefits(401k, health insurance, espp) . Company cares for its Employees 2. Good team work culture. Very uplifting and harmonious. Generally good engineers across teams. 3. Probably the best Technology among the US banks. Has growth potential in the future. 4. Great work life balance.

Cons

Still new at the company. Will update as i find out. Not sure how the future growth opportunity will look like.

10. 5.0
    KEY NOT FOUND: jobLine.temporary-former

Positive

15 Jun 2021 - Manager in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Creating a glass for account for interview

Cons

Very interesting knowledgeable little lengthy but understanding

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,337 Reviews