Carowinds Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Carowinds Reviews

Updated 26 Nov 2019

2.9
Carowinds CEO Matt Ouimet (no image)
Matt Ouimet
Pros
  • "Free tickets, free admission to the parks and other parks, and the people you work with(in 16 reviews)

• "free tickets after you work a certain amount of hours(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Heat, Short Staffing sometimes makes getting breaks difficult(in 18 reviews)

• "Less hours once summer is coming to an end, long hours on holidays, very strict about rules such as having phone on you(in 16 reviews)

1. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Lifeguard

I worked at Carowinds full-time

Pros

Great People and leadership. Like a well-oiled machine of water park safety.

Cons

Kind of intense and stressful.

Carowinds2019-11-26
  2. "Fun and Fast-Paced Working Environment"

Former Employee - Merchandise Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Carowinds full-time for less than a year

Pros

friendly people, plenty of hours

Cons

Mostly outdoors or without AC

Carowinds2019-11-18
  3. "It's alright"

Current Employee - Admissions
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Carowinds part-time

Pros

Get's me out of my shell and helps me with my communication skills! You get to meet a lot of new people! For the most part, guests are really nice as long as you're nice to them! If you're someone with a bubbly personality, you'll do great in terms of greeting people! Food is cheap and affordable. A meal will cost you anywhere from $2 to $4! You can get cool prizes and employee discounts! Also the... associate events are pretty cool! Boutique prices are very reasonable!

Cons

The interview was a joke. I had a group interview with 5 other people who were all applying for different things yet we ALL got put in admissions probably just because. Never got any feedback and was only asked two questions. They don't really pay attention to/care about any inconveniences you may have. I told them before I even accepted the position that I was a full-time student at another university out of... state and would only be able to work during the winter summer seasons. Got told that that was fine by several other associates only to find out that it wasn't and that I'd have to come down on weekends to remain active. I still have to tell them this as they continue to ask me to work on days when I have classes. Training is a complete joke. I only got two training sessions which is not enough for this position! The first training session was literally just a 5 hour slide show presentation on stuff that is honestly common knowledge. ( Don't be rude to guests etc.) The second one was literally just someone trying to cram MONTHS worth of the information down our throats within 5 to 7 hours. Out of those 5 to 7 hours, we only went out to practice in one spot, once for 1 5 minutes. They leave out SO much information and expect you to just catch on. You rarely work in the area you think you're working in. In admissions, you get moved constantly. If you're under the impression that you're doing ticket taking or passes, you most likely won't be and will probably spend your time in family care or at the height wall, toll plaza or the exit for most of the day. This is usually the case when they're overstaffed at NG which is almost always because of the volunteers. A few weeks ago, I had a supervisor just drop a lost crying child on me. Didn't tell me to call anyone or anything, literally just walked up to me and gave me the child casually, treating the situation like nothing was going on. I had to ask them to walk me through what to do because I was never trained on what to do during this type of situation. They don't give you time to learn where everything is and get mad if you try to use a map. I'm the type who has to physically see where things are. It's not enough for me to simply look at a map. Also, guests need to know where things are and will get annoyed and sometimes a little rude when they see that you don't know where things are. Breaks are a bit meh. It takes a good 10 to 15 minutes (because you have to make your way around groups of people and sometimes stop to answer questions) to walk to the other side of the park to get to your locker and then to the cafeteria. You'll usually have 35 to 45 minutes, sometimes an hour depending on the supervisor but the process of getting there and then getting your food takes 15 to 20 (remember, you've also got to go BACK to your locker to put things away and then go back to your post)

Advice to Management

PLEASE take more time to properly train your employees! We all learn at different paces and do not retain information the same way! There should also be some sort of program for full-time college students!

Carowinds2019-10-14

"Carowinds loves to fire people"

I worked at Carowinds

Pros

Easily hired Free admission to Carowinds for 6 of your friends

Cons

Easily fired My full time manager lied to get me in trouble I didn’t get fired, but I’ve seen others get canned for petty stuff. You’ll also have seasonal supervisors who will try to get you canned for a cell phone, meanwhile they waste hours of company time chit chatting, and checking their Facebook on their cell phones.

Carowinds2019-09-29
  5. "Carowinds slave"

Current Employee - Merchandiser
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Carowinds part-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay is good

Cons

Not at all flexible or considerate about personal life issues

Carowinds2019-09-07
  6. "READ THIS BEFORE YOU APPLY !!!!!"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at Carowinds part-time for more than a year

Pros

Because it's fun working with a team and it's a pleasure to put smile on peoples faces

Cons

Because once you make one simple mistake, they won't give you a chance and they will fire you so make sure you doing everything correctly because they don't mind getting rid of you and hiring someone else in a heartbeat. Like i was an Rides Supervisor and i made a small mistake while i wasn't clocked like not clocked in at all and they fired me because of it like really make sure you doing everything is like dream... company have to have everything correct and perfectly at all times ...

Advice to Management

Give people chances !!!

Carowinds2019-09-16
  7. "Good to be your first job"

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Carowinds full-time for less than a year

Pros

You learn a lot of new skills Be part of a big company

Cons

Disorganization, overworking, few employees compared to the number of guests

Carowinds2019-07-29
  8. "Carowinds"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Carowinds full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours and it has a good management team .

Cons

It gets hot while working .

Carowinds2019-06-27
  9. "Hard Labor and uncaring people"

Former Employee - Admissions in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Carowinds part-time for less than a year

Pros

Can work there at 16 years old. Get a lot of hours. Discount on food, free pass.

Cons

short breaks, managers don't care, long hours

Advice to Management

Give time for associates to get to the break area when they work across the park. For females, allow them to carry a small bag for the time of the month.

Carowinds2019-07-12

"Great Retirement Job"

Current Employee - Ride Operator in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Carowinds full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very flexible hours, work as little or as much as you want. Lots of fun interacting with the guest.

Cons

Heat, Short Staffing sometimes makes getting breaks difficult. Seasonal work.

Carowinds2019-06-04