CastleBranch Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 6 February 2019

CastleBranch Founder and CEO Brett Martin
Brett Martin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "On site cantina with many food options available, plus food trucks brought in on a regular basis" (in 18 reviews)

• "I'm trying to think of something, ummm maybe the dress code policy" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "You've heard it before, but this place is run like a high school" (in 8 reviews)

• "In peak season when we are approved for overtime, we can make more money than a supervisor" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A good place to work, progressive company that cares"

Current Employee - User Experience Specialist in Wilmington, NC (US)
    Current Employee - User Experience Specialist in Wilmington, NC (US)

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work with the ability to move up or move to a different role if desired. On site cantina with many food options available, plus food trucks brought in on a regular basis. Management teams also think of different ways to incentivize good performance. Interesting and diverse work force. Amazing Holiday Party with open bar and incredible door prizes. Management has recently changed, and since then many positive changes have happened. It is obvious that the CEO and other upper management team care about the people working here. I personally have had some health challenges this past year and have been met with nothing but compassion and a desire to help me fit into a role that will allow me to function but not exacerbate my issues. Truly, if you give your all and come to work with a positive, can do attitude you will find that your efforts will be recognized and rewarded. Great benefit package.

Cons

Although a lot of work has been put into the new compensation plans, I feel that they are still not quite there, at least for some roles.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the recent trend of asking for feedback and putting employee suggestions into place. The training and HR department are amazing and it has been nice to see the company invest in making these teams more robust..it has paid off. I know that the tiering plans are revised as certain issues come up, but honestly I think that we should scrap them and come up with something else. Employee feedback is always welcome, but maybe an employee advisory committee or even an anonymous survey regarding compensation issues would be a nice idea. I truly believe what we have in place now is not working, and I know many of us would like to be part of finding a solution.

31 Jan 2019 – Director of HR

We appreciate your comments. Thank you for recognizing the great lengths we have gone to, to improve overall. We have invested heavily into employee training and development and will continue to do... More

2. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Wilmington, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Wilmington, NC (US)

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good base salary and commission structure. Six figure potential after your first year

Cons

not many cons, typical b2b sales job

18 Feb 2019 – HR Assistant

Thank you for your response. We appreciate that you recognize the potential opportunities provided at CastleBranch. We invest in our people and enjoy watching them grow within the company.

"It's Ok"

Former Employee - Order Fulfillment Specialist in Wilmington, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Order Fulfillment Specialist in Wilmington, NC (US)

I worked at CastleBranch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Food trucks, ping pong tables, skee ball, free beer

Cons

Monotonous, impossible goals to hit consistently, no interaction with anyone

29 Nov 2018 – HR Assistant

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to post. Our goals and expectations for each role are constantly evolving, in order to continue to be challenging but achievable.

4. "Good Company Overall"

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time

Pros

Flexible when needed, onsite gym, game room, lots of provided food

Cons

Pay and ability to move up

4 Oct 2018 – HR Assistant

We love being able to add these fun perks into our workplace. Many of our positions here are on a tiered system which allows for growth in responsibility and compensation based on job specific goals.

"Decent Job, Less-Decent Training"

Former Employee - Clinical Data Analyst in Wilmington Beach, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Clinical Data Analyst in Wilmington Beach, NC (US)

I worked at CastleBranch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are many positive aspects of working here. Everyone cites food truck, food days, etc. However, the social culture has improved greatly and the small size of the company means that everyone has a chance to interact with each other.

Cons

As previously given, management training, while continuously ongoing, is still falling a little flat. Additionally, I was placed in a department upon hire that I had not applied for, and felt misplaced for the duration of my employment when I had applied for a different position, albeit within a similar vein of the business. My primary experience was one of discomfort with being placed in the QA department when I had applied for Data Entry for a different department. I attempted to transfer to the department I had initially applied for and felt I would succeed in, but was declined and it felt like that was the start of the decline of my comfort with my position and ultimate release from the department, which I had never intended to be placed in to begin with. Despite this situation, I do greatly miss the job, the staff, and wish that I had been given the opportunity to succeed in the role I initially applied for and felt qualified to perform.

Advice to Management

If I had to offer any advice, it would be to listen to your employees and try not to place them in departments and positions that they do not feel comfortable with being in.

27 Jul 2018 – HR Assistant

Thank you for your candid feedback, we are working daily to enhance our culture and encourage cross functionality.
    At times we do get this wrong, and misplace a person. If we recognize that this... More

"so much potential"

I worked at CastleBranch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

socially this is a fun place to meet new people, experience new food trucks and try new beers. As a work place its a disorganized group of great expectations. What they do is awesome, how they're doing it is a tragedy.

Cons

Training is possibly the worst I've ever been through and as a previous corporate trainer I think I have a good gauge. The disorganization and haphazard way things are thrown together was beyond frustrating. Supervisors are way too busy to be training and the SME's they choose to stand in aren't prepared. Sup's also need a little training, just because you can do the job doesn't mean your good at managing those who do the job, watch your interactions and assumptions. Oh and the pay is low. Don't get me started on the antiquated systems.

Advice to Management

You have a gold mine there, sooner or later if you don't get it all together someone's going to stake a claim and walk away with it.

27 Jul 2018 – HR Assistant

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are working to meet and exceed our current and future potential as an organization.

"Okay work as data entry"

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time

Pros

Fun campus that tries to compensate for demanding work

Cons

Training is poor and I hated how the management was on top of you wanting to know when you went to the bath room or took a break

27 Jul 2018 – HR Assistant

We want to make our workplace a fun, inclusive, and productive environment. It is also fast paced. Our training is extensive, and often times overwhelming. Once released from training, we have... More

"Manager"

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time

Pros

Great perks. Food Trucks on site, Rec room, free beer on Wednesday. Gym Classes.

Cons

Behind the scenes conflict between departments

27 Jul 2018 – HR Assistant

Glad you are enjoying all of the great things we provide every day for our team members. We recognized this as well, as a result we recently made some org changes. These changes better allow for... More

"Disapointing"

I worked at CastleBranch full-time

Pros

Air conditioning, elevator, break room, gym?

Cons

Reminded me of the show MTV Boiling Point(s), only the hidden cameras never popped out. Absolute nightmare.

Advice to Management

N/A. They're not open to advice.

27 Jul 2018 – HR Assistant

We are sorry that you felt that management is not open to advice. We strive to have an open door environment where feedback is always appreciated.

"Record Review Specialist"

I worked at CastleBranch full-time

Pros

Insurance after 90 days, even if you're temporary. Your own desk area, although small. Drink cart on Wednesdays. Bagels/pastries on Mondays. Team building activities when computers go down. Monthly meetings. Monthly "bring your own condiment" food parties.

Cons

Where to begin? For one, the training is two weeks. The trainer I had was good, that isn't the problem. The problem was that they needed the training room before we were done with our two weeks, so we were moved to cubicles, and the trainer's desk was way on the other side of the operations floor. Making asking questions difficult. No one takes the time to get to know the temporary employees. Granted, I understand why, but it would still be nice to have everyone be nice to you instead of kind of snotty. Some of the supervisors are in their own world. Yes, you can ask questions and she'll get back to you, but the other supervisor at the time was always sending out emails about encouraging everyone and everything. Another huge con: when they let you go, they tell you that you're eligible to be rehired. Yeah right. If your numbers aren't up to par, and your let go, you CAN'T be hired back. Believe me, I tried. I liked the company a lot. I was recommended by a former coworker to apply, and in turn, I recommended 3 of their current employees go work there, and *I* was the only one who didn't become permanent. I applied to every opening they had after I was let go, and never heard anything back. Finally I went to a job fair and saw the woman who gave me my exit interview. She said, "You know you can't be hired back, right? Not in operations at least." Thing is, Operations is 85% of the company. The rest is IT or something else. I had some medical problems at the time of my employment there, to which I told this to the head of operations, but was told to just send in my resume to the SAME woman who told me I couldn't be rehired.

It's a shame that this company does have good bones and have this kind of business and the ability to hire tons of people, but to have policies that make it impossible to hire former employees who weren't bad to begin with.

Advice to Management

Change your policies to where former employees can come back, especially since you've changed the parameters of how to do the job anyway.

Make sure everyone gets the mandatory two weeks training, uninterrupted.

Don't hire tons of people during peak just to let 90% of them go during the off season.

18 Jan 2018 – HR Assistant

Hi there thanks for your feedback. Would very much appreciate it if you reached out to me so I can chat with you about the role you were in and the possibility to rehire. We do not have a policy... More