Centro Director Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Aug 20, 2019

4.8
Centro CEO Shawn Riegsecker
Shawn Riegsecker

"A very special place to learn, grow and thrive"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Centro full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I loved working at Centro - best job I've ever had. Working with a mission-focused, value-focused company to make the industry better means a lot to me. I'll take those lessons, friendships and connections with me wherever I go and be a better person for it.

Cons

Lot of pressure now to get Basis adoption...it will happen, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Advice to Management

Keep scaling team growth with new-account growth...you're the best services company on the planet...those employees will also make SaaS partners very happy as long as they're not stretched too thin.

Centro2019-08-20

"A great place to work in Chicago"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have never worked for a company that is so supportive and encouraging. Everyone here, regardless of role or title, should feel like they have a voice within Centro and can make an impact and a difference, you can. Centro is a special place that will allow the opportunity to grow your in your career and personally.. They invest in their employees and genuinely care about personal and professional satisfaction.... There are lots of opportunities to move into different careers and gain new experiences, you just have to take advantage of them. I have grown more in my time at Centro than I have at any other company. To succeed and grow, you will need to work more than 9-5 some days or weeks but one at the company feels work is the most important part of life. The benefits are good and I like the Flexible Time Off policy. The Chicago office is always well stocked with snacks, drinks and various alcohol. The layout and decor is welcoming and wonderful, and the office is filled with amazing people building and using a technology that can change the industry. Things at Centro will only get better in the near future.

Cons

Sometimes Centro is too nice in an effort to keep the culture the way it is. We need to be better at recognizing certain employees aren't a great fit for their role, even if they're great people. It negatively impacts the rest of us to keep them around. There are also a lot of people at higher levels of the company who have "grown-up" with Centro, and don't see things from different perspectives. The pay isn't... great, but it's fine and there are a lot of other benefits. People can also be pretty cliquey and gossipy. It's intimidating and not always welcoming, but it's not usually harmful or mean. Overall, people are very nice and I have very few complaints about anything to do with the company.

Advice to Management

Bring in a few more outsiders, but don't stray from the culture and initiatives that you have put in place. This is a special place, and you all should be proud.

Centro2019-08-07

"GREAT Benefits and Investment in Employees - Culture can be difficult"

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

leadership and management training, focus on employee growth and development

Cons

the culture is entirely cliquey the focus is on "having fun" and not getting work done, leaving managers unable to address management issues (any sort of addressing of issues is often seen as "punishment" or "dictatorial")

Advice to Management

the philosophy is amazing. but exec team and leadership need to be less worried about "being liked" by employees and remember that everyone is there to do a job, and expectations are high that it should be done well.

Centro2019-08-05

"Most Depressing Office in Santa Monica"

Former Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Centro full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are absolutely no "pros" to working at this company, especially in the Santa Monica office.

Cons

Showing up in the morning. Everyone is miserable.

Advice to Management

Pull it together.

Centro2019-08-01

"Great vision, robust benefits, fiscally responsible"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've been working at Centro for a few years now and we've had our ups and downs. But through it all, we've kept the same goals and vision. Additionally, we've been very responsible about how we manage our money, which is a big part of our longevity and stability. The employee benefits are great. I won't list them all here, but there is definitely an emphasis on employee health and wellness.

Cons

The company did not do a great job getting employees to buy into the direction of the business. It is getting better now. Also, in comparison with other company peers, we don't have as much resources as the competition. I know that is our choice to operate the way we do, but internally, we have to recognize that we don't have as much as the other ad tech players.

Advice to Management

Need better communications about what is happening in the business, where we are winning or losing, and why, and where we need to get better.

Centro2018-07-03

"Transitioning to Software"

Current Employee - Account Director

I have been working at Centro full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people at Centro are the best people I've ever worked with. It's a caring environment where others go out of their way to help each other. It's a place where you feel the CEO, and leadership team, truly cares about everyone who works here and they do the best they can to create a positive and uplifting environment. A pro, that can also be a con, is that Centro has a big vision. It's great to have a big... vision but is it possible the vision is too big? We just launched a brand new platform (Basis) at the end of 2017. It's a bigger platform than what our customers are used to. Early signs are promising. It has everyone feeling a lot more pumped up and excited than they've been in the past couple of years.

Cons

Over the past few months, leadership has been working on a significant reorganization to prepare the company for its next phase of hyper-growth. It's obvious, especially reading some of the negative reviews, some people weren't bought in to the vision of the company and didn't like the reorganization. The biggest con at Centro is that we've come off a couple of challenging years and people haven't made the... bonuses they're used to making. In addition, we've had some people in the company with bad attitudes that shouldn't have been hired in the first place. They've been toxic to teams and offices. It's good to see management take a hard line, move them out and replace them with people in line with the company's values.

Advice to Management

We understand how big the vision is but we have a hard time articulating it as well as understanding how we're going to get from where we're at to where the vision leads us. Management should do a better job of helping us understand how we plan on going from here to there and what it means to all of us. Additionally, I think more transparency to how goals are set and ensuring there is a plan for everyone to get... 100% of their bonuses paid is important.

Centro2018-03-15

"Tech Company with Strong Culture"

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Centro genuinely cares about their employees and has a CEO dedicated to building a culture around self-improvement, humility, honesty, accountability, and respect. Benefits are wonderful - 401k match, unlimited vacation time, health benefits and a paid three week sabbatical in your 5th year. From an industry perspective, Centro is a well-respected technology company that is aggressively changing the way media is... bought, sold and planned.

Cons

With a changing landscape, Centro has to pivot often and redefine who they are. This can sometimes cause confusion but is always aiming to set ourselves up for the future. It is a fast-changing environment that requires hard work and dedication.

Advice to Management

As Centro grows, work hard to hire/retain the best talent to scale culture and performance. Continue to invest in technology and adapt as the industry shifts.

Centro2018-02-28

"Centro is fully committed to clients and employees"

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I like that Centro continues to be focused on client campaign performance. But also, the company places equally high value on training, which allows employees to grow personally and professionally. Most exciting, currently, is that Centro’s buying platform is now in the hands of many agencies and brands across the country... and user base is increasing rapidly. From an HR and benefits perspective, the company offers... medical, dental, 401k, generous vacation, wellness programs, charitable programs, gym reimbursement, and so much more. I feel fortunate to work for Centro and truly enjoy coming to work every day. Huge props to our founder and CEO, the new sales and MSO leader(s), and the people in our office. Love the culture!

Cons

Retaining talent can be difficult. With internal training/education and people consistently working on creative campaigns, Centro employees are among the most experienced in digital media and ad tech. So they are often approached by recruiters and other companies.

Advice to Management

With offices now in the US, Canada and South America, hopefully Centro can add offices is the UK and/or Asia this year.

Centro2018-02-28

"Principled company that cares about employees and the industry"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We have a mission to improve the lives of the people who work in digital media. We've had a lot of challenges in the past year, but we've always been true to our goals and honest with employees about the business. Unlike our other peers in ad tech, we are not in it for the quick buck. We care about the customers and we care about the people who work here. Oh, and we met most of our revenue-based bonus goals so it's... a nice way to start the year.

Cons

As I said above, there are lots of challenges in the ad tech space. Everyone is a competitor and it's tough to create tech that meets all of the industry's needs -- especially if those needs continue to change. This is not an easy ride and you can't coast in this company.

Advice to Management

We may need more outside talent. It's great to promote from within, but we can benefit from bringing in ideas from the outside, from people who have a completely different perspective.

Centro2017-02-08

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been with Centro for almost two years now and as recently as today, I said to someone that "I love my job." The reasons include the level of autonomy and empowerment that I have to do my job. Great vision, huge market opportunity and wonderful people. Benefits, including unlimited vacation, are top-notch.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

Advice to Management

N/A

Centro2017-01-20