Centro Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Centro Founder & CEO Shawn Riegsecker
Shawn Riegsecker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The bonus structure changed almost yearly, never to the benefit of anyone who wasn't upper management" (in 7 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance is non-existent for ad-ops" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Centro is the best company I've ever worked for (and perhaps the best company I'll ever work for)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at Centro are what make this company incredible. From our Founder and CEO Shawn, to our interns we call Centerns - everyone I've interacted with at Centro is kind, respectful, intelligent, driven and quirky. This is not by accident; everyone who works at Centro is carefully vetted, not only to determine if he or she is a good fit for the position, but most importantly, to determine if he or she is a good fit for Centro. Each new employee is sent to our Chicago headquarters for New Hire Orientation to not only learn about the company's mission and values, but also to be welcomed into the family. Speaking of family, Centro truly does feel like a big blended family of sorts. It's insane how much the executive team truly cares about us, and how much we care about each other. Recently, my family experienced a major tragedy, and several members of the executive team reached out to me personally to ask how I was doing. Centro went above and beyond in so many ways and I felt (and continue to feel) completely supported and cared for.
    Aside from the people, we have incredible benefits at Centro (our paid time off and maternity/paternity leave policies could not be better in my opinion), and the company is extremely dedicated to the personal and professional growth of its employees. For example, managers are frequently educated on conscious leadership principals to set them and their teams up for success. One thing I love most about Centro is our foundation in gratitude; it's common to see the words "I appreciate you" in an email from a colleague, and we even have a "Raving Fan" program that recognizes Centrons who go above and beyond their day to day job descriptions. This all creates contagious positive energy throughout our offices, which happen to be located in the best locations within each city. Humor is also a theme at Centro - we laugh together often, and we enjoy having fun with each other. For example, employees who leave the company and return after a few months or years receive Centro-branded boomerangs. It's amazing to see a relatively large company operate so succinctly, and I'm just happy to be a part of it.

Cons

I haven't noticed any cons to working at Centro. I've heard that other companies in the industry might pay higher salaries; however, I imagine those companies' cultures and benefits do not remotely compare to Centro's.

"Great company/culture"

Former Employee - Software Development Test Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Development Test Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Centro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone at the location I worked in (Toronto), was amazing. Great team, great atmosphere. My manager was also really invested in helping me improve and learn new things.

Cons

Nothing particularly jumps to min

"Awesome company culture, with unbeatable benefits."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits. Unlimited PTO. Room for growth within the company. Amazing company culture, geared towards building and growing existing employees. Student debt contribution, and tuition reimbursement are among some of the amazing perks that come with working @ Centro.

Cons

Long interview process. Not the most competitive salaries.

Advice to Management

Keep fostering growth in existing employees.

21 Feb 2019 – Centro

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and for the kind words! We’re so happy to hear that our benefits and culture help you grow at work and in other areas of your life. We’ve been very... More

"Best Company i have ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Account Lead
    Current Employee - Account Lead

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Centro is a very special place. The people I work with have become some of my best friends and most important people in my life. I have never been at a company that cares so much about its employees and their well being/happiness! Because of that, it makes me want to work harder and be successful- not only for myself but for the company. Centro truly, truly cares and I couldn't ask for anything more

Cons

Because the turn over is so low, it is a bit hard to continue to move up; however Centro takes care of you.

Advice to Management

Keep putting employees and technology first! Investing in the happiness of your employees will forever pay off

13 Feb 2019 – Centro

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and for the kind words! We’re so happy to hear you appreciate our employee-first approach. Employees becoming the best version of themselves is our... More

"Company Culture is Unbeatable"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Centro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits (including unlimited PTO), highly-respected CEO, and a clear vision that highlights transparency and hard work. The culture at Centro is top of the line, people here are happy to come into work each day.

Cons

None that are worth highlighting

Advice to Management

Only advice would be to work on creating a more diverse environment- not just on the product/tech side, but carry it over into sales/services as well.

"No Egos - Great work environment"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People you work with:
    + People are willing to listen and take in your opinion (regardless of what level you/they are in)
    + People do not have huge egos (or at least they manageable)
    + People do good work (most of the time)

Office:
    + New Toronto office is pretty cool, right at Union Station, part of WeWorks - so unlimited beers, and frequent events.

Extra Stuff:
    + Above average pay (for Canada)
    + Standard benefits ( RRSP matching upto 4% of Salary, health, dental...)
    + Good work/life balance
    + Flexible work hours
    + Unlimited vacation

Cons

- Flexible work hours (sometime it gets hard to reach a decision when people are in the office at different times)

In the previous years when the company was struggling some of the company goals were unrealistic, which caused us to not hit the bonus.

Advice to Management

Toronto is becoming a more attractive place for Tech companies, make sure the salaries keep being updated to reflect this.

"Great Company, Great Culture, Great Place to Learn and Grow"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of encouragement to learn and grow on the job. Unfortunately, it's so hard to get in now that I'm not sure that they're even hiring anyone who'd need to learn on the job. Great people. I personally had wonderful managers.

Cons

U.S. based offices could use a lot more ethnic diversity. I had a lot of friends interview without much explanation as to why they did not move forward in the process. Some of the sales leadership comes off a little sleazy.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Centro does a great job bringing in talented, intelligent and caring people. We have an incredible company culture that truly embodies it's core values and encourages personal growth for all employees. They offer ongoing training for all levels and help you create a career plan specialized with your manager. Unlimited FTO, Ferris Bueller days, Save the World days, etc. etc. Also offer yoga classes and guided meditation multiple times a week.

Cons

No dogs in the office! :(

"Good Company to Work For, But Has Some Challenges to Overcome."

I worked at Centro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Centro was a good company to work for.

The product - Basis - is fantastic, and will truly be a game changer for small to mid-market sized agencies and companies.

Perks to the job were great - unlimited PTO, competitive salary, good health benefits, tons of flexibility in all aspects of the position.

There are a LOT of good people at this company. A few bad eggs that stand out, but overall, you'll find many people who believe in the company, and are willing to help.

Cons

In my time there, the company was going through an identity shift from services to software as the main offering. Unfortunately, this was not the first identity shift Centro had gone through, and the market I worked in recognized it, making it difficult to position Centro as a stable company.

I was a remote employee, and support overall was okay. My manager supported me well, but beyond that support was lacking. Sales training and onboarding is getting better, but my onboarding process was terrible, which hindered me throughout my time at Centro. If you've never worked remotely before, I would not recommend this as your first remote position.

Leadership has little understanding of what is happening in markets outside of where they are based.

Advice to Management

Stay on the current path, but realize what your sweet spot is, and adjust your pricing model accordingly. You'll make the sale stronger, and win a lot more business.

10. "Digital Media Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Centro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice peers, generous PTO, stocked kitchen, WFH allowed, 401K matched.

Cons

HDHP, work/life is imbalanced, slow promotions.

13 Feb 2019 – Centro

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are glad that you enjoy working with your team members and that many of our perks are beneficial to you. We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing... More