Centro Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Centro Founder & CEO Shawn Riegsecker
Shawn Riegsecker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Company is growing rapidly and as a result it seems some policies are enforced differently by department, creating a inconsistency" (in 8 reviews)

• "The bonus structure changed almost yearly, never to the benefit of anyone who wasn't upper management" (in 7 reviews)

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Centro full-time

Pros

This company is unlike any other, and anyone working here will agree. There are problems (as there are with any company) - but all in all, it is a fun, enjoyable, culture-oriented place to work. The environment is A+, there are snacks, copious options of coffee (coming from someone who is fine with none ;) and tons of incentives to produce your best work. Any bad reviews are people who wish they hadn't been fired (which says a lot about them as people... because Centro gives you every opportunity to improve before letting you go.

This place is wonderful. Management is wonderful. The culture is wonderful. If you have the chance to work here, you will not regret it.

Cons

Some growing pains, as there will be with every company.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I`ve worked in many IT companies, Centro is one of the best.
    Good work/life balance.
    Unlimited vacation + home office when needed.
    Newest technologies.
    People, people, people!

Cons

Not the best location and office building in Toronto (amazing in Chicago). Hopefully will be changed soon.

"Sad state of affairs. Job seekers: look elsewhere!"

I worked at Centro full-time

Pros

The employees themselves are great, talented people.

Cons

Centro USED to be a great place to work, even winning awards in this particular category. However, the proof is in the pudding and over the past year or two, the culture has declined substantially to a point where it's completely unrecognizable. The last award we took home for best place to work was in 2016.

First of all, it feels like some of the female leaders at this company are setting women back 100 years. All of the progress we see in the media with women coming together is the opposite of what's happening at Centro if you report into certain women. Regardless of how hard you work, how passionate you are about helping the company do well, and how loyal you've been as an employee, there is an immature level of cattiness that supersedes and nothing else matters. Far too many talented people have either left Centro this year or been pushed out because of the declining culture and lack of respect towards employees, and the leadership team, CEO included, refuses to take any accountability, even when the churn rate is shockingly high. Their response when someone incredibly talented leaves? Don't let the door hit you on the way out! But on the bright side, other great companies recognize this talent and are swooping people up quickly so it's a win-win. If you're considering Centro for your next place of employment, turn around and look elsewhere. There are other companies out there that will appreciate your talent more than Centro. And just like the person in the May 2nd post mentioned, unfortunately employees have to resort to Glassdoor to voice our concerns because no one in HR or the exec team are accepting of feedback without it being used against you.

Advice to Management

Your leadership team needs a shuffle. Your friendships have become a major conflict of interest and there are certain people in power positions without the appropriate subject matter knowledge and leadership experience just because they've been at Centro since the early days. You're getting away from what matters, which is building a great product and culture, and focusing too much on ego and politics.

"Would Not Recommend"

I worked at Centro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People, good snacks, and strong product.

Cons

Overworked environment, loss of direction as a company, and low pay.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Led by a founder CEO who is really passionate about the products, and one of the few executives I've seen that leads the company in a very wholesome way with a focus on happiness, giving, collaboration, and truly caring for our customers and making their life better.

Very smart and talented teams that collaborate well, and know how to produce kick-ass products while having fun.

Great work-life balance.

Cons

There's really not much to complain about - I've been really happy working here.

Advice to Management

You've built a great culture, so make sure to maintain this, as it helps attract the right folks that make this such a great place to be.

"The recent bad reviews are a cry for help. Please help."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Centro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance and unlimited vacation.

Cons

I am sad that current employees feel they can only resort to social media posts to voice their concerns about the company. This is because a) candid feedback is only acknowledged and addressed if it is positive and b) going to your manager or HR is unfortunately ineffective. So many current employees feel trapped when it comes to voicing true concerns or simply wanting support to address a negative issue. I can tell you, I am really discouraged that every single piece of negative input is viewed as the employee’s own fault or, even more disappointingly, not a culture fit. I can assure you plenty of strong employees with a solid commitment to Centro feel their negative input gets turned on its head. It couldn’t possibly be our leadership’s fault, right? Of course not! It’s our problem to solve. That’s what we are told. Or if you don’t like it, please see the door. Old Centro would not even recognize today’s Centro with how clueless (or ignorant) it is to the current climate.

Advice to Management

Please consider the idea that what you’re hearing on the street has some validity worth investigating. Yes, there is a lot of negativity and perhaps some exaggerations. But try to see both sides to these stories. Please. Many people are telling their sides of the story. And they feel completely silenced and scared.

"Best Experience -- Don't Believe the Recent Posts"

I worked at Centro full-time

Pros

I'm not one to write reviews but given the recent negative comments by a few angry ex-employees of Centro being spewed, I feel the need to write about my experience. I left a few months ago after being there for over five years.

Hands down, Centro is the best company I've ever worked for.

90% of what I've read in the recent posts isn't close to being accurate of what's going on at the company. It seems like a few scorned, bad apples are looking to hurt the company for reasons no one understands. I promise if you poll the employees at Centro they will tell you it's an amazing company to work for. Leadership cares a lot about the employees and most of my best friends in life are people I met while working at Centro.

And, all of the negative discussion around Basis, Centro's newest platform is laughable. I saw the platform firsthand and also saw it implemented at the company and the first few customers.

I've seen a lot of platforms in the advertising industry and nothing compares. Did it take them awhile to build it? Sure, but it's a massive platform -- much bigger than the leading industry DSPs. So of course it's going to take a long time and millions of dollars.

Spoiler alert to the haters: ALL big platforms take that long and that type of investment to build. Nothing new here. And the CEO deciding to remove the CTO and lead day-to-day management of the product and engineer organization was the smartest, and most effective, move he could've made a few years ago.

If you want to know what's really going on at Centro, just email anyone at the company and I'm sure they'd be willing to give you an honest, fair and unbiased assessment.

And I'm positive the super vast majority of them will say the same things I'm saying.

Cons

*SEE ABOVE*

The biggest cons I see are the ex-employees writing negative Glassdoor reviews and trying to cause drama and create bad publicity for a company they don't work for anymore (so silly and juvenile...what's the point?).

I've always found something funny, and unique, about Centro. It's that when people leave the company they can never "just leave". There is something magnetic about the culture that, when they're not a part of it anymore, it bothers them. Never seen anything like it in my career.

Advice to Management

Ignore the lies and criticisms on Glassdoor from people who don't work at the company anymore.

Stay focused on helping and improving the people at the company who love coming to work, who are committed to the cause, and who are committed to keeping Centro one of the best companies in the industry to work for.

"Media Specialist"

I have been working at Centro full-time

Pros

The company has built a cool technology and has an easy to use platform

Cons

Company is going through changes and people are leaving

"Love Centro, Great Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Media Services in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Media Services in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been at Centro for 3 years now and have no intentions of leaving anytime soon. Centro has an amazing work-life balance, benefits and colleagues. Everyone is so friendly and is always willing to lend a helping hand if you are ever in a bind. If someone leaves and goes to a typical "agency" company they always end up reaching back out a few months later expressing how they wish they had never left in the first place!

Cons

- More emphasis on Basis vs Services
    - Promotions are very difficult for deserving employees

"Grateful"

I have been working at Centro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a long time employee of Centro, I am saddened by the recent reviews. Centro is a fantastic company that prides itself on putting employees first. I have never felt anything other than grateful for the opportunities I have been given here.

During my time, I have seen a lot of change. I started when the company was small. We grew rapidly. The industry grew rapidly. We were forced to adapt. I believe the leadership team evaluates each area of the company thoughtfully to ensure a successful future and I have full confidence in their abilities.

As an employee, experiencing change can difficult when we are not the ones driving it. I feel many decisions have been good, others questionable, a few terrible. When confronted with these situations, we are forced to decide: Do I ride the tide and see what happens? Do I leave gracefully? Do I throw others under the bus until my time is up? Or do I see an opportunity to make things better? I choose the latter. Most here do. The future is always hazy if we choose to ignore it.

It must also be said that I also have complete confidence in our HR/Talent & Development team. They go above and beyond to make everyone feel comfortable and address issues when they arise. They always treat me with respect and work hard to understand my concerns and resolve conflicts if necessary.

Centro also offers an excellent benefits package, competitive salary, and surrounds you with a lot of smart people. I am able to provide a good life for my family and spend time with them. I also like the people I work with. It can't get much better than that.

Cons

That said, Centro isn't perfect. There is stress. There is monotony. There can be tension and conflict. Unless you work at a unicorn and pixie dust factory, this is true for every company ever.

Advice to Management

You are not superheros. You cannot be everything to everyone. Instill a sense of confidence and trust in those you manage and communicate openly and honestly with them often.