Centro Software Engineer Reviews

1. 5.0

No Egos - Great work environment

23 Jan 2019 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

People you work with: + People are willing to listen and take in your opinion (regardless of what level you/they are in) + People do not have huge egos (or at least they manageable) + People do good work (most of the time) Office: + New Toronto office is pretty cool, right at Union Station, part of WeWorks - so unlimited beers, and frequent events. Extra Stuff: + Above average pay (for Canada) + Standard benefits ( RRSP matching upto 4% of Salary, health, dental...) + Good work/life balance + Flexible work hours + Unlimited vacation

Cons

- Flexible work hours (sometime it gets hard to reach a decision when people are in the office at different times) In the previous years when the company was struggling some of the company goals were unrealistic, which caused us to not hit the bonus.

6 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee

It's definitely the best company I've worked for

24 Apr 2019 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- I've had the opportunity to work with people I like on challenging problems. - My manager cares about my career and has done his best to put me in new and challenging situations. - There's a good energy building with some of the new hires and the product doing well in the market.

Cons

Nothing significant. All companies change over time and experiences might be different based on the team, city, or time period. Overall though, I've been happy over the few years I've worked at Centro.

7 people found this review helpful

Centro

We appreciate hearing about your experience! We value your input and are so glad to hear that you’re feeling challenged, cared for by your manager, and enjoy continuing to build our product. If you have anything additional to add, please email us at tellusmore@centro.net. -EVP, Talent and Development

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Exactly what I was looking for

17 Apr 2019 - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Challenging business domain, mentorship, inclusive environment. Centro's tech team has a ton of talent and they recognize the value of investing in individual growth.

Cons

Ramp-up on the product is a bit steep, but seems to be the nature of ad tech.

3 people found this review helpful

Centro

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! What a huge compliment to hear that you enjoy the challenging work and inclusive environment that Centro provides. Our tech team is truly one of the most talented out there and we thank you for being a part of it! If you have any further feedback on the company or product, please email us at tellusmore@centro.net. -EVP, Talent and Development

4. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company/culture

19 Feb 2019 - Software Development Test Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone at the location I worked in (Toronto), was amazing. Great team, great atmosphere. My manager was also really invested in helping me improve and learn new things.

Cons

Nothing particularly jumps to min

8 people found this review helpful

Centro

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! We appreciate your kind words and are so happy to hear you enjoyed your experience in our Toronto office. If you have any further feedback to share please email us at tellusmore@centro.net. -EVP, Talent & Development

5. 5.0

Great place to work

25 Apr 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work-hours Remote-work friendly Unlimited vacations WeWork office spaces Friendly & Respectful work environment Extremely talented people

Cons

- - - - -

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Everyone cares

16 Dec 2014 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone cares story: Due to bad weather, some flights for the Christmas party got cancelled. We also have missed the year end presentation from the CEO which was supposed to be very important. The CEO responded with a personal email saying that he will is hoping we still are able to make it to Chicago for the party, and that he will come to Toronto ASAP to give us the presentation in person. Great Perks + fresh fruit + snacks (peanuts, pretzels, granola bars, cheese) + pop + 3 weeks off + 10 personal days Company Culture: + Self improvement + encouraged to do physical activity with 500$ a year option + 2 free classes a year (from any University) [after 1 year employment] + Happy Hour every month + Holiday party in Chicago where you meet everyone including the CEO + Orientation in Chicago where you will most likely personally meet the CEO Work: + Great support from Test Engineers and sales people ensures Engineers do not do too much manual work/debugging. + Services written with the best practices. [Pretty much copied directly from the book] Hours: + Very casual, most people arrive at the office between 10 and 11, leave between 6 and 7. [We still do work hard]

Cons

The Health and Dental plan could be better. - the Dental plan covers 80% - only ($240) coverage for corrective eye surgery

4 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0

Software Engineer

7 Dec 2018 - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nothing noteworthy to mention as pros. Just a regular technology company trying to stay in business.

Cons

Poor management, no career growth, no skill development, the list goes on. Most of the effort just goes in handling poor managers and their egoistic attitudes. Plus there is shortage of staff with all the laying off and some smart people leaving the company. Day to day effort goes in training new folks than learning anything new. This used to be one of the companies with best work culture. But not anymore.

9 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Really fun people, rewarding work and GREAT happy hours

4 Mar 2015 - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Working on building a scalable web platform that users will interact with 8 hours a day. - Huge learning opportunity. Lot of very unique problems to solve in the advertising industry. - Flexibility to work in any area of engineering. You're looked at as a full stack engineer. - Monthly happy hours are extremely fun. - CEO is very approachable, and actively seeks feedback. - Quite easily the best work/life balance. - Culture speaks for itself, having won best place to work for the past 4 years.

Cons

- Lot of process changes made it tough to get into a rhythm. - There's experienced developers and architects, then a considerable drop-off.

11 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

Dedicated hard-working colleagues

17 Dec 2014 - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

The best thing are the dedicated, well educated and hard-working people. It makes such a difference to morale when you spend your days with other people who also want to grow and to share their knowledge and vision. Management have been very receptive to employees' opinions and put a lot of trust into employees. The compensation is decent, the holiday schedule is absolutely amazing (Ferris Bueller days, Sabbaticals, generousness vacation), and the benefits are excellent (pretty much all the US benefits listed on Glassdoor have been mirrored to Canadian equivalents here in Toronto). Somehow our CEO, Shawn Riegsecker, manages to remember the names of hundreds of employees...

Cons

The company as a whole has the philosophy that if it helps you grow as a person, that value will be put back into the company. In return, there's an expectation that you should work hard and be prepared to develop and contribute. This is not a job for the lazy or foolish.

3 people found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Current Employee

I actually enjoy going to work!

3 Sep 2014 - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

One of the best places I've had the pleasure to code at. There are good benefits, including generous PTO and flexible work from home. Refreshingly, this is the only place I've been where people use their PTO as they see fit and feel no pressure to fake being sick. In addition I feel that Centro is a transparent organization that values its employees and respects their personal life. As an engineer Centro is an exciting place to be right now. We're working on an ambitious and sophisticated project that will change the face of the company and industry. There is good leadership, and solid development plans that are being executed with an agile approach. I feel that the current dev team is really doing software right, and there are a lot of smart people here making it happen.

Cons

On the petty side, we are running out of room in the office and snacks, drinking glasses, etc. disappear quickly. More significantly, I think we'd be better off if there was more cohesion between the different departments and offices of the organization.

5 people found this review helpful