Certus Recruitment Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.9
Certus Recruitment Group CEO Justin Byrne
Justin Byrne
Pros
Cons
  • "No microwave in kitchen - but plenty of food places locally(in 4 reviews)

• "You need to ask for pay rises because sometimes they fail to recognise hard work(in 3 reviews)

1. "Brilliant place for the right people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Certus Recruitment Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Really strong culture led towards developing individuals and allowing them to achieve their goals - Management focus on people that want to be there and look after engaged employees extremely well - The team always comes first - Brilliant team environment - Brilliant training and support from all management levels - Great working environment - Very client led

Cons

- Small kitchen - Recruitment is hard work!

Advice to Management

- Continue to back the brand

Certus Recruitment Group2019-10-29
  2. "Real team culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Certus Recruitment Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Encouragement to achieve your professional/personal goals via route to success meetings. I found these really helpful! - Collaborative working between the teams - Competitive, but in a good way. Have fun, work hard attitude - Are flexible if you need time off - Incentives - recently had a company sports day!

Cons

Recruitment is hard - but with hard work comes reward. If you don't have the professional maturity to know when to work and when to play I guess this could be a distraction

Advice to Management

Continue to build the brand!

Certus Recruitment Group2019-10-29
  3. "Fantastic Progression !"

Current Employee - Graduate Experienced Manager in London, England

I have been working at Certus Recruitment Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been working at Certus for just under one year and with the training, support and clear route for progression, I was promoted after 6 months to Graduate Experience Manager where I am now a team leader. I am constantly developing my skills in this amazing, energetic and fun working environment.

Cons

Little incentives could really help :)

Certus Recruitment Group2019-10-08
  4. "The most disturbing place I have ever worked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Certus Recruitment Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Usually if there are Pros to something then that means that there is some sort of benefit to be had. But there isn't any benefit to working here. Sure, most of the office were good people, but this was vastly outweighed by the Cons:

Cons

I have always been taught that the client comes first. Sometimes, if they call unexpectedly, this might mean that you have to attend an internal meeting a couple of minutes late. Not at Certus Recruitment. "When I say jump, you say how high!!!" Yes, those were the extraordinary words that were screamed at me by management for that exact reason. If the sight of the dilapidated office wasn’t enough, if the... disturbing levels of turnover only a week into my start-date wasn't enough, then you would have thought that this was the final warning shot that prompted me to do a 180 and take my leave. Alas, I am only human. Full of optimism and hope, and with perhaps a dash of naivety I reasoned to myself: “Things can only get better, right?” Wrong. We are told from Day 1 at Certus that recruitment is like having your own business within a business. Indeed it is repeated often: “Don’t you care about your business? Come on Certus!!!” But what kind of ownership does one have over one’s business when there is no room for autonomous decision-making? Micro-management is rife with every detail of your work being scrutinised to the extent that if you forget to cross your t’s, or (heaven forbid) make a coffee after 8:30am then you will be brought up on charge. This is despite the fact that management are clueless: Consider being called for an important, company-wide meeting on a Friday afternoon, being told of major and immediate structural changes to the organisation, only to come in on the Monday to find none of it having been implemented and then never being spoken about again. Contradictory instructions are the norm, with even the CEO himself sometimes lecturing on for 20 minutes - just to scrap everything moments later. This representation of farce also transcends into the planning and execution of company social activities. A sports day was devised. The company was split into two teams: England vs Rest of the World. I, being of colour, but nevertheless holding only a British passport, being born and having lived only in England, and to be frank, speak better English than the entirety of the office, was put into the Rest of the World team. When I asked “why”, I was told to “think about it”. This disgraceful turn of events was followed by the self-appointed referee (who would have otherwise been on Team England) continually changing the rules in favour of his home team. All of this behaviour can be reflected in the fact that Certus has been going for 20 years and has very little to show for it. The mentality towards clients is one of ‘churn-‘n’-burn’. I personally came across past instances of unhonoured agreements, with some feedback from other prospective clients being that of Certus having a ‘reputation’. Most of the other recruitment companies that they define as their competitors have a strong presence in the market, multiple clients on their books, with strong revenue and funding reports. Take a look at Certus’ publicly filed company accounts (found on Companies House) and the picture is one of despair. Recruitment companies traditionally don’t do well during recessions, and Certus most certainly is not prepared for the storm to come. When it does, they will be finished.

Advice to Management

You can't carry on like this: treating people like garbage, micro-managing, flip-flopping on decisions etc. All you end up doing is alienating the workforce and having them resent you. Then they eventually leave (the turnover was insane whilst I was there) and write an honest review on Glassdoor - which you then attempt to cover up by forcing current employees to write fake positive ones. In addition to this... time-wasting you then have to go through the cycle of hiring somebody new and expend time and money on training them. All instead of focusing on growing your core business. As mentioned above, your behaviour is reflective in your company accounts. With that being said perhaps you would do well to reflect on this (and other reviews from the past) and begin making some changes. Although I doubt it - given that one of the last things that was said to me was: "We'll never change".

Certus Recruitment Group2019-11-11

""Be careful""

Former Employee - Graduate Manager

I worked at Certus Recruitment Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Certus are good at what they do, but they do it in a way that made me personally feel uncomfortable. If you are confident you can smash it from day one, this is the role for you. If you are looking for training and support, this is not the role for you.

Cons

- micro-management - discriminative office environment (told not to call people unless they have British names, people making fun of or not hiring someone because of accents) - No training and little support - Small and stuffy office - Believe in only one way of getting results - Very serious retention problem - Tense office atmosphere

Certus Recruitment Group2019-10-03

"No thanks."

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Certus Recruitment Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Formed friendships with other former colleagues for life. * Learnt a lot about how to run on very little sleep. * Daniel. * Excellent praise system with the Friday round-up. * Lunch club is a hoot.

Cons

* Racist * Sexist * Multiple accounts of sexual abuse being reported and completely left because sales numbers were good. * Being told not to call candidates because their name 'didn't sound English' * Being forced to tell candidates they didn't get the job despite being qualified because they are wearing a hijab. * The illegal underpayment of apprentices who would finally be given a salary after working too... many hours only to be again underpaid. * Clear sexism in the office towards the female members of staff. * Terrible treatment of employees after they leave - or when they are looking to leave. * Ridiculous payment system for the recruitment, it went from a simple, mutually beneficial system of the commission to a split, completely bias one. * You don't want a promotion, because it comes with way more work, way more pressure, considerably less commission and a ridiculously high turn over. This job is perfect for you, and you will be considered an excellent candidate if you are a privately educated male who is white, drinks beer, doesn't have a social life outside of work except maybe football and just loves racism and phone smashing. Otherwise, maybe jog on.

Advice to Management

Have a consistent management system. Maybe just give the people what they want and chuck a microwave in. Maybe consider letting people have lunch longer than 15 mins because you can barely get down the stairs to Pret for some hot food and back in time and you can't warm anything in the office. (No microwave) And maybe fire that guy who keeps touching up girls?

Certus Recruitment Group2019-04-08
  7. "Perfect first job in sales!"

Current Employee - Client Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Certus Recruitment Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been working at Certus for 6 months - I came on as a fresh graduate working on the graduate desk and I love it! I love the culture; it's competitive but promotes a positive team environment as well. I have learned so much about the industry, and I love the buzz I get when I make a deal and everyone cheers! It's a hard job, you need to be able to pick yourself up after a bad day - it really is a rollercoaster......but so far it's been a great ride and I can't wait to work my way up the ladder!

Cons

NA - I'm loving it (although a microwave would be nice!)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you guys are doing, by giving us new guys/gals the tools we need to be successful in this industry.

Certus Recruitment Group2018-12-20
  8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Certus Recruitment Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The people within this business are fantastic, definitely the best place I have worked in terms of the culture, we work hard but also know how to have fun - Progression opportunities, I think if you get your head down and show that you care, this company is one that will really look to develop you and your skill set - Senior management, the sales director in particular is very approachable and you learn a lot... from the senior management team

Cons

- No microwave, every company has one so is a bit of a frustration - Can sometimes be a bit micro management and focus a bit too much on getting on the phone when results can be achieved in other forms

Certus Recruitment Group2018-12-19

"Very misleading"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Certus Recruitment Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Fun environment sometimes -Beer and early finish Fridays

Cons

-was sold into the role even though i didn't want to do recruitment. -was promised training and a clear progression plan which i never got. -was told by my manager to do things in a certain way but then her boss and the owner would say that it is the wrong way. - overachieved my target in my first month and then told the position wasn't for me. -so i was told they they didn't really mind about hitting target... it was all about developing the person so i didn't have to worry about hitting my target. - and then after my first month they said it wasn't the right role for me therefore leaving me jobless after just 1 month. - not relieved my commission for overachieving my target. -felt like they missold the dream, but in reality i got something completely different. - felt cheated out of my commission.

Advice to Management

get a clear structure and training program. Sam was really good at training as was Justin, but it just needs structure and consistency.

Certus Recruitment Group2018-08-02

"Recruitment is easy to do but very hard to do well!"

Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England

I have been working at Certus Recruitment Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Superb office environment and truly supportive structure. Everyone is encouraged and given the autonomy to build their own business within the company at a realistic pace with achievable targets. The management team is experienced with over 40+ years of combined recruitment experience who always have time for training and imparting their knowledge on to their teams. Success is celebrated and everyone truly works... for each other and to move the business as whole forwards.

Cons

At the rate the business is growing a move to a new office will be required sooner rather than later!

Certus Recruitment Group2018-02-05