Chambers and Partners Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Chambers and Partners Reviews

Updated 24 September 2018

Mark Wyatt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "great location near covent garden" (in 4 reviews)

• "Perfectly adequate first job after uni" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Promotions are arbitrary and it is reflective of the fact that for almost everyone it is a first graduate job or stop-gap" (in 5 reviews)

• "Job is very boring and repetitive" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Researcher"

I have been working at Chambers and Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chambers and Partners is a truly international company both internally with colleagues from all continents who speak more than 20 different languages and externally with clients based in more than 150 countries.

The people at Chambers are not only very well educated, but also friendly, ambitious, creative and very diverse. I particularly enjoy team outings and different activities with colleagues from other teams.

The work style seems to be very cooperative with colleagues as opposed to competitive. You have some independence and you can learn to manage your time and workload efficiently, this can be challenging sometimes especially with multiple deadlines, but I think it's an important skill to have in future jobs.

Cons

Although Chambers is the world market leader in the legal marketing sector it is still below the average salaries compared to its clients, which are the biggest law firms in the world. However, one needs to bear in mind that Chambers and Partners is a publishing company and not a law firm. Having said this, C&P is a good starting point for a successful career in other industries, because of the recognition and prestige of the brand globally.

7 Aug 2018 – HR

Thank you very much for your review. We are in the process of introducing new benefits for all our employees and will be reviewing the remuneration package. We are also reviewing career progression... More

2. "Emerging as a great company to work for"

I have been working at Chambers and Partners full-time

Pros

Things at Chambers have changed a lot since I joined. The move to new offices has made a big difference and mgt seem to want to change things. I think my team is great and the wider group of people
    I work with are down to earth and easy to get on with.

Cons

Could be more cross Dept communications

Advice to Management

Keep talking to staff about changes that are taking place

3. "Exciting New Propects"

I have been working at Chambers and Partners full-time

Pros

Since the companies new ownership, the working environment has improved dramatically. Employees have had the opportunity to have their voices heard and the actions of the new management have been firmly positive. The enthusiasm has increased massively and people seem genuinely happy and in favour of the decisions being made at the top.

Cons

Although the changes thus far have positively effected the moral within the employee community, there still those, especially in research positions, that feel job progression can be too slow - however with the steps being taken, there is hope that this with time will also improve.

18 Jul 2018 – HR

Thank you very much for your review, and for your positive comments about Chambers’ new direction. We are currently reviewing the job progression process in the company, and we would love to hear... More

4. "Great team, but work progression is dubious."

Former Employee - Writer/Resesrcher in London, England
    Former Employee - Writer/Resesrcher in London, England

I worked at Chambers and Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is bright and talented, as well as friendly and good fun to work with. While someone on here mentioned not having flexible hours, you actually can be flexible and do whatever hours you like as long as you do you do the time. Can be fun talking to lawyers and finding out more about different legal markets.

Cons

Career progression seems to be based more on how long you've worked there. Also the pay doesn't really reflect the work that you put in.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure it would be fair to comment as the new CEO seems to be doing some good things but too early to know what impact that will have.

6 Jul 2018 – Social Media/Content Manager

Thank you for your review. We are currently reviewing the areas you commented on, and it would be great if you could tell us more by sending an email to HR@chambersandpartners.co.uk.
    Hearing about... More

5. "The people are the best part"

I worked at Chambers and Partners full-time

Pros

Great social dynamic and friendly colleagues.

Cons

A bit of a boy's club that doesn't reward based on merit but rather loyalty (longevity) and popularity.

4 Jul 2018 – Social Media/Content Manager

Thank you very much for your review and your comments regarding career progression. We are currently reviewing this area. Please feel free to contact us at HR@chambersandpartners.co.uk if you wish to... More

6. "lovely people and a lot of things going on"

I have been working at Chambers and Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are absolutely lovely, it's a pleasure to go to work in the morning because it's like catching up with your friends. There are always opportunities for career progression, and it's satisfactory to work for a company that is a leader of its sector.
    The change of management brought a very positive new atmosphere, with a tangible feeling that the company is changing, modernising and working towards new and interesting goals.

Cons

The working day ends at 6pm, which is not ideal (I wouldn't mind starting earlier and leave at 5pm or 5.30pm).

Advice to Management

Consider changing the working hours

4 Jul 2018 – Social Media/Content Manager

Thank you for your review, we value your comments and are currently reviewing flexibility regarding working hours as a result. Kind regards, Chambers and Partners.

7. "Researcher/Writer"

I have been working at Chambers and Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people
    Flexible hours
    That's about it.

Cons

Stressful amount of work
    Low salary

"High staff turnover for a reason"

Former Employee - Deputy Editor in London, England
    Former Employee - Deputy Editor in London, England

I worked at Chambers and Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great sense of comradery as most colleagues equally miserable - most people genuinely create lasting friendships there.

You have the security and structure that comes with working for a reasonably large, longstanding company. Processes, an actual HR function etc were greatly missed when I moved on to a startup.

They only promote from within so there's excellent opportunity to move up through the ranks far quicker than you would at most places. Because the turnover's so high, it's often just a waiting game - if you can stick it out longer than two years, you'll be promoted at least once.

Cons

Staff are overworked and under valued - it's just expected that you'll work several hours unpaid overtime per week. It's common knowledge that everyone in an editorial position ends up going into the office at weekends and bank holidays in the run up to deadlines. Incredibly difficult to maintain a work/life balance.

The work is repetitive and the company is set in its ways - I can't imagine the senior managerial staff welcoming suggestions for innovation.

Advice to Management

If you know there's too much work to be completed within working hours, hire more staff!

"A truly abysmal employer"

I worked at Chambers and Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None that can actually be attributed to the company. However, the camaraderie among some of the workforce makes it somewhat bearable.

Cons

A graveyard for ambition in the truest of senses. Don't bother applying here unless you're a middle-to-upper class white male, otherwise you will be persistently undermined, patronised and overlooked for promotions at the expense of the aforementioned demographic. Senior figures have been known to make anti-Semitic and Islamophobic remarks/'jokes' at the expense of employees. The management are personality-devoid charlatans happy to lean on their subordinates excessively while not really doing anything. Ranking decisions are regularly made arbitrarily and lawyers often derided for their work and contributions - yet the company prides itself on being the 'market leader'. The HR department is a joke. Do not be fooled by this recent change in ownership, the same individuals running the company remain and this culture of exploitation of junior staff and disregard for professionalism is too deeply entrenched to be remedied in the short term. All in all, it was by far the worst experience of my professional career and I would warn anyone off joining this disgraceful company.

Advice to Management

Nothing publishable.

"Hopefully the new management will make all reviews prior to March 2018 irrelevent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Chambers and Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lovely people (in the Research departments, at least)
    Perfectly adequate first job after uni
    Decent potential to progress initially
    You can say you worked for the world's leader in its field

NB: I wanted to leave quite a generous review because I think it's important that potential new starters understand that every review made prior to March 2018 was made about a company run by its owner and founder, Michael Chambers. Michael started the company in 1969 and started producing legal directories in 1990. To say that towards the end he no longer had a sharp mind would be an understatement. The new management seem to be aware that a new building and a radical overhaul is needed. So far they seem to appreciate that in order to attract high level graduates we need to offer something in return, and a dilapidated building isn't it. So with a bit of luck we should have moved to better premises within the next few months and hopefully should have made some other improvements too. I imagine career opportunities at Chambers will get better as we expand, come up with more product ideas, increase the size of and the number of departments etc etc. So it's worth taking all the old reviews with a giant pinch of salt.

Cons

We don't really know exactly what direction the new management will take the company
    The least well performing departments might take a while to evolve out of 'the Michael Chambers era'

Advice to Management

I think the new management seem to have a pretty good idea about what needs changing but the key message I would make is: acknowledge that the departments within Research are generally good at what they do and just need a gentle helping hand, whereas some of the other departments need a more radical overhaul