Chambers and Partners Employee Reviews about "toilets"

Updated Dec 14, 2017

Found 9 of over 144 reviews

4.1
Chambers and Partners CEO Tim Noble (no image)
Tim Noble
Pros
  • "Great location by Chancery Lane, excellent facilities within the office, fairly quick development, useful new HR/professional development system(in 6 reviews)

• "It’s good as a first job, but it’s a stepping stone(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The canteen and the toilets are a disgrace(in 9 reviews)

• "Senior management have no interest in staff, promotions are arbitrary and morale is incredibly low(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "toilets"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 1.0

Researcher

Sep 6, 2017 - Researcher in Covent Garden, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people in the offices. Friendly team.

Cons

Shame the management is a complete disaster. Toilets in disrepair- cleaners don't empty the bins so sometimes there are sanitary pads (USED) on the floor overflowing from the toilets! Sometimes there is no hand soap! Apart from the toilets, the canteen is a joke with no windows. Miserable eating there when you have no other choice in the winter. Job is very boring and repetitive. No feedback or support given on your work. Promotions seemingly arbitrary. People are leaving all the time which means morale is low and people are over worked. I could go on FOREVER. Also, CEO keeps trying to implement new schemes to improve the job and make sure no one leaves. He would be better off retiring and leaving management to people who actually have an active role in the business and know what we do.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Researcher/Writer

Apr 13, 2017 - Researcher/Writer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

All the negative comments here worried me after I received an offer, but I was pleasantly surprised. People are amazing! Extremely well educated and intelligent but laid-back and kind hearted. The job itself is very interesting as well. I tend to leave work late because I truly enjoy it so much. The hours are flexible which is a plus.

Cons

Salary is quite low and the building is run-down. The canteen and the toilets are a disgrace.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Could be worse

Feb 22, 2017 - Researcher/Writer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Like everyone else has written, the people are great. I've made some life long friends. The work can be repetitive, but it can be interesting if you make it so. Very much about how you approach it. Recently brought in a batch of new office chairs, it took months, probably years, but its made a big difference. The role/company opens opportunities into lots of new fields. Great location. Good socials, quarterly team socials, monthly company wide socials and annual staff party. All paid for by the company. Unlike other reviewers I am not bothered by not seeing senior management. I interact with my line manager regularly and that's all I need to do my job.

Cons

General working environment is shoddy. TOILETS are CONSTANTLY blocked and grim. Need more for the amount of staff. High turnover lowers morale but does give you the opportunity to meets lots of interesting people

4. 2.0

Writer/ researcher

Feb 20, 2017 - Writer/Researcher in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Good location for the office -Great colleagues, everyone is very friendly and intelligent (minus management) -Good for making connections with lawyers around the world -Good work life balance

Cons

-Shabby offices, an embarrassment to let a lawyer into the office. -Toilets are in a ridiculous state despite management constantly being told about this. -Management seem fond of sending out condescending/ passive aggressive emails every now and again. -CEO seems to have no comprehension of what staff actually do. Seems out of touch with reality. -No perks except a pension scheme -Low salary and very little holiday given -Boring and repetitive work, no proper training required so often staff do not know anything about what they are researching/ writing about. -Staff are constantly coming and going so often people are slowed down by having to wait for new people to arrive (HR are too slow to recruit people on time and thus make teams fall behind on work schedules) -System used for work is ancient and constantly crashing, freezing and deleting work. This slows you down and then you might be expected to stay late to meet deadlines. -Management seems to ignore all advice given to them to solve these problems. -Pretty much zero career progression past the first few stages to Deputy Editor

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Former Employee

Believe what you read, nothing has changed here

Jul 10, 2016 - Researcher/Writer in Holborn, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company is driven by interesting, intelligent young people, and is based in a great area near Holborn station. I did learn a lot about the commercial side of the legal industry, which has given me something to speak about on my legal applications.

Cons

I was set a completely unrealistic schedule, which left me constantly stressed and regularly doing extra hours for nothing to alleviate some of the weight hanging over me. Every week I would bring up the fact that I was extremely behind on my work, yet my editor refused to reassign it as more and more people on our team kept leaving and so there was no-one to take it on. My colleagues would tell me that they were so stressed that they would frequently break into tears over nothing. When you begin, they may also spring on you that you will researching Asia and so have to be in for 6 or 7am every morning. As stated below, the building's interior is begging an overhaul, with its stained carpets and broken toilets. Michael Chambers is far more interested in his project to build an independent cinema in the basement than investing in creating an acceptable work environment for his employees. When you interview, they will tell you that things have changed since the negative Glassdoor feedback, and that their employees tell them that it is not so bad. Having left only a month ago, I can assure you that nothing has changed, they base this upon a new-starters review, at a point where you are not going to tell your new employer how awful the work is. The majority of people here are looking for other work. I ended up leaving with nothing else lined up, as the experience left me feeling hollow and exhausted, with no energy to do applications at the end of the day.

4 people found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Former Employee

Avoid if you can

Oct 7, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Friendly and lovely colleagues - Stress-free environment - Start and finish on time - Team building paid by the company

Cons

- A very unwelcome atmosphere, everything is dirty or broken - Everyone seems to leave after a few months - No heating/AC - Toilets seems to be always blocked - Building is falling apart - There is no structure, every single decision seems to be made by the CEO, so everything takes ages - The hiring process is a joke

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Current Employee

Demoralising, depressing hell hole

Sep 28, 2015 - Researcher/Writer
      Business Outlook

Pros

The only plus is that the work is incredibly easy. But that's also a negative (see below)

Cons

This is a horrible place to work. Nobody talks to each other, making the environment cold, sterile and awkward, and there is pretty much no culture to speak of. The work was completely mis represented in the interview and is essentially just a call centre, there's no creativity or engagement. It might be okay if you really love corporate law and think that corporate lawyers are all brilliant people, but otherwise there's no real motive behind the job and it's very hard to care about. This leads to a group of disenchanted and bored staff who don't care about their work. The attitude seems to be the same from management - they just don't care about the staff. The high turnover rate is proof of this. People leave without any job lined up because being unemployed is better than this. As for the work load - other reviewers have said there's far too much, but I have been continuously bored throughout my time at Chambers, with nothing to do for the majority of the day. This just makes you feel pointless and superfluous - not a good thing for sense of worth. The actual building is horrible and falling apart. Staff are expected to accept this while Michael Chambers, on some kind of ego trip, spends what must be a large amount of money building a cinema in the basement that will pose no benefit to the current staff. He could spend this on fixing the toilets or providing better chairs or simple things like getting the carpet cleaned. This place is disgusting, soulless and depressing. Please, save yourself and don't work here. It's horrible.

4 people found this review helpful
    8. 1.0

Hell hole

Jun 29, 2015 - Researcher/Writer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Just about the only redeeming feature of this company is the inexplicable number of lovely, intelligent people who work there. Most people have degrees from top universities as well as masters and other qualifications, and many speak multiple languages. There is a sociable culture with fairly regular team outings and free drinks provided by the company on the last Friday of every month.

Cons

• Incompetent and inefficient senior management. After a recent fire in the Holborn area, researchers were left without internet or phone access for about two weeks. Just when we learned that we were to be moved to temporary offices in Southwark, and after walking there and back several times after discovering that the server there didn't work either, we learned that things were back up and running in the Holborn office. A monkey could have done a better job of handling that whole situation. • Poor working conditions. The toilets are frequently blocked, desks are never cleaned, mouse droppings are all-pervasive, and I have actually seen the mice themselves running across the floor and around the desks during the working day. On one occasion I opened a drawer to find one lurking inside. During my time there I had to endure a whole day, in the middle of winter, without any form of heating. We were all sat at our desks in our hats, coats and scarves like a scene from a refugee camp. On another occasion there was no water for an entire morning and, consequently, no functioning toilets. We had to go to Wetherspoons across the road. • Ineffectual HR and financial departments. They take months to reply to emails, if they even bother to reply at all, with the result that when you have an important query about your pay or your holiday, it is left unanswered until you are beyond caring and resign yourself to losing some of your salary or annual leave. I know of at least two people who were underpaid because their payslips indicated that they had taken sick leave, when they hadn't. One is left wondering how this kind of mistake could have happened, and how often the company has got away with it in the past. Not only do you have to get by on a low salary (which, by the way, has been reduced over the years and, if the rumours are correct, is set to be decreased even further) but they try and take away what you are owed as well. • Horrendous interview process. Both interviews were full of irrelevant and often intrusive personal questions. I have known people to be asked whether they have a boyfriend, why they're still single, why their sibling/parent is 'just a <insert perceived low-status job>. I have even read of recent interviews where candidates were asked to answer a yes/no questionnaire with questions as outrageous as 'do you ever have sex dreams?'. I was applying for a position that required the ability to speak a foreign language, yet not once was my proficiency in that language tested or my relevant experience questioned. Instead, I was made to ponder over two of the logic questions that I had got wrong in the first interview until I got them right there and then on the spot. Having just graduated from one of the country’s top universities in modern languages, I felt humiliated, patronised and under-estimated. • Full of over-qualified, under-appreciated researchers. It upsets me when reading the biographies of everyone who works there to see just how talented and intelligent the employees there are, and yet how vastly under-valued they are. Chambers seem to pride themselves on their high turn-over, claiming that people tend to only stay a year or so before going on to get a training contract with a law firm. Wrong. People leave because it is an awful, awful place to work. I and a friend on the same team left without having any other job lined up. We would rather be unemployed than work there any longer. And everyone else I know is desperately looking for other work, scouring job websites every night to try and find some way out. That is not indicative of a good employer. • Many researchers work overtime for no extra pay, and get no thanks. While occasionally this hard work is rewarded with a justified promotion, far too often the wrong people are promoted for no apparent reason, with no apparent experience, and in some cases who are months behind on their own work. The result is a completely unstable and arbitrary hierarchical system. • Rigid pay structures with little room for manoeuvre. Many members of the team I was working on left within a very short space of time, yet the company refused to hire any new people or raise the pay of those who were left to pick up the pieces and do all the extra work that had been left unfinished. This just shows a complete lack of respect for their employees. And they wonder why so many people leave!

12 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A great place to work if you like office politics and repetitive work

Dec 14, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great location. Work is beyond easy and employees are able to manage their own workload. Some very talented and intelligent people but they of course leave as soon as they can. Good place for a graduate to earn some money on a temporary basis but only as a last resort if they cant find anything else.

Cons

The building is falling apart and the company has a bad mice infestation. A persons experience depends on the team they are placed on and some teams are known for their excessive micromanaging and bullying. Promotions are arbitrary so the only way to progress is to get in with the right people from the very start, leading to very young and immature people who only seem concerned with social status assuming senior roles. Certain employees fail to take accountability for their own mistakes and blame others. Work is mundane, repetitive and unrewarding. Toilets are grim. Management are bonkers and have no idea what their employees actually do. Bizarre interview process. Culture of fear and paranoia. Employees will most likely leave the company with low self-esteem.

5 people found this review helpful