ChannelAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.4
ChannelAdvisor CEO David Spitz
David Spitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits, awesome team play, great boss" (in 21 reviews)

• "Great people that are not only smart, but care about the work" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "the structure, you cant even work from home on occasional days, can be ruthless" (in 6 reviews)

• "They pretend to care about work/life balance but all that matters is perception" (in 6 reviews)

"Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Holborn, England
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Holborn, England

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great Culture
    - Lovely People
    - Supportive Manager
    - Good MD very hands on with all departments
    - Have varies options of progressing to other departments
    - Great opportunity to net out what your looking for
    - Very supportive team

Cons

- Previous management but has been fixed now
    - Not much of a home and work life balance
    - Long Hours 9-6
    - There is not a lot of communication between departments

25 Jun 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

We like to hear that you are enjoying your time and feel supported at ChannelAdvisor. We want employees to grow their career and see opportunity with the company. It’s awesome to hear you feel you... More

"High turnover and poor leadership"

Former Employee - Sales in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales in London, England

I worked at ChannelAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good product
    Good office location in central London

Cons

Poor management
    Management spend more money on travelling, than on head count .
    Flexitime is abused.
    Management talk to employees like school children.
    Turnover is ridiculously high.
    Raise points to HR, but they end up defending the company.
    HR means human resource, so try looking after your good employees.

Advice to Management

People have tried in the past, so there’s no point in really filling this section in.

2 Nov 2018 – Chief Executive Officer

Ouch. Thank you for sharing your feelings and I’m sorry we weren’t a good fit for you. We are really pleased with our performance in the U.K. and Europe overall as well as our EMEA leadership team... More

"One of the worst companies out there"

Former Employee - Senior in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior in London, England

I worked at ChannelAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Had a good product although now outdated as hasnt really been enhanced for a while
    Some good people in the business mainly at ground level

Cons

Bad leadership
    Tunnel Visioned
    Large click/favortism culture

Advice to Management

Stop papering over the cracks and deal with the real problems in the business. Salaries are below par with the rest of the market and what with the poor reputation in the market place the best people dont want to join the business.
    Stop telling lies to get people to join the business - promises of trips to other offices that never materlise, promises of all the tools you need to do the job that you never receive - unless you are based in the U.S then you get want you want and get away with under performing in the process.
    Commission structure is a joke and not designed to really reward over performance

20 Sep 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

We are sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your time with us and hope you have found an opportunity where you feel you are able to thrive. We wish you the best.

"Terrible place"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in London, England

I worked at ChannelAdvisor full-time

Pros

The people and location are both good.

Cons

The role was advertised and sold as a senior sales position but I made more cold calls than I did when I was a BDR, we were all office based with no working from home and it’s a really micromanaged environment.
    The territories are terrible and overworked and there is no investment in new sales data.
    There is no innovation on the product roadmap.
    Targets are very rarely hit because the product is too expensive and mostly sold to small retailers.

Advice to Management

All the above have been known issues for years and there has been no attempt to change or improve the ability for people to sell.

25 Jul 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We will share it with our current leadership team. We wish you the best in your next opportunity!

"Many different failings from the top down."

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in London, England

I worked at ChannelAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture between the employees.
    One team leader, in particular, will help you earn, however, you can't choose your team lead.

Cons

Confused management as a whole.
    UK office as like most international companies is outperformed across the board by all other countries.
    There is a lot of 'sitting on' accounts by the sales team.

Advice to Management

Main advice to the management is ‘time to jump ship’, ChannelAdvisor is now far from the leader in this space that they used to be.

For more constructive items I would suggest:

Educate your UK head about the product, he still doesn’t know what ChannelAdvisor actually sell, I’m 99% certain of that.

Promote who you have before externally hiring. You’ve got lots of talent at your feet and the only thing bringing in new hires (that won’t keep up) will do is continue to feed the cycle of ‘hiring to have headcount’ and ‘firing them because they couldn’t meet unrealistic targets’.

Actually train staff rather than have them sit through 48 hours of videos, that aren’t actually training videos, they’re just snippets of your event catalyst form the year before.

25 Jun 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your employment with us. As we continue to hire some of the most talented UK sales employees,we agree it is extremely important to create an effective sales... More

"Tough, but rewarding"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in London, England

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Office location
    - People
    - Compensation is about the best in the market

For a salesperson ChannelAdvisor is, as you may read below, either a great place or a terrible place to be. I'm personally very proud to work here and I am tired of people who are turning up, not putting in the effort and then venting on glassdoor because they haven't hit their targets. I've not seen a single person leave this company and thought "wow, that's a huge loss to the sales team".

The truth of it is, working in sales at ChannelAdvisor isn't an easy gig. You need to be prepared to put the work in to be able to get the rewards here. You have to master your craft, treat sales as a profession and work tirelessly to succeed.

In my opinion, the majority of reviews below have been written by people who just aren't prepared to do that. I'm not saying there aren't drawbacks here, but those who grind out an honest days work here and put in the effort to educate themselves around the industry and product will have a much better chance of success. And you'll earn very good money along the way too.

Cons

- Lots of red tape internally to get a contract signed
    - Software could do with a UI/UX overhaul
    - Account allocation between teams is still not where it needs to be.
    - Too many salespeople for the UK market. The company would be more successful overall if it had just fewer reps.

Advice to Management

Do we really need 4 UK managers? Do we really need so many salespeople?
    We'd have more of a winning culture, lower costs and better continuity in our messaging if we trimmed down a little and perhaps used some saved budget on headcount to improve customer experience.

30 Mar 2018 – Senior Corporate Recruiter

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. There are many people at ChannelAdvisor who are proud to work here and we're glad you're one of them. As the e-commerce industry evolves... More

"Papering over the cracks"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in London, England

I worked at ChannelAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commission structure is one of the best, if not the best in the industry

Nice enough offices in London and good central location

Cons

On paper, ChannelAdvisor appears to be a good company to work for.

They lure you in with promises of guaranteed commission for the first three months and a lengthy ramp period, however, what they fail to tell you during the interview process is the level of prospects you will generally be dealing with.

Promises of being able to work any accounts fail to materialise and you are left working accounts that can barely afford the software.

The reputation on the market is horrendous, made worse by the fact that 90% of the sales team are performing well below target so they push through deals that a company the size of ChannelAdvisor have no real Business working with.

The Management team in the UK office leave a lot to be desired and are all dancing to the tune of the new MD.

I believe in years to come the UK office will cease to exist and for good reason.

A tired product, below par sales staff and no strategy or structure to internal processes.

Advice to Management

I wish you all the very best of luck but it really is time to look at how the UK office could become more functional and better performing by getting rid of all the sales staff who aren’t performing and let the top reps work the rest of the accounts.

30 Mar 2018 – Senior Corporate Recruiter

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. We are disappointed to hear you didn't have a positive experience working at ChannelAdvisor. The UK has undergone significant leadership... More

"E-commerce Consultant"

Current Employee - E-commerce in London, England
    Current Employee - E-commerce in London, England

I have been working at ChannelAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management team
    Work with hard working people
    Good incentives
    Happy environment
    Great training scheme
    Good encouragement
    Healthy competition

Cons

I can't think of any, I am quite new so the novelty hasn't worn off yet!!!!

21 Feb 2018 – Senior Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience at ChannelAdvisor! We strive to hire passionate, hard-working employees who will help take our teams to the next level. We love that... More

"Ok.. but frustrating place to work"

Former Employee - European Campaign Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - European Campaign Manager in London, England

I worked at ChannelAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location of office in Holborn, London
    Good salary (if you negotiate it well upon joining the company)
    Good team spirit
    Industry leaders, and therefore great on the CV
    Good networking events
    Powerful software platform, good to learn and get training in

Cons

Bad salary if you join at a starter level and try to work your way up! They don't pay well for promotions, or on performance reviews (*if you've been doing well) and seem to pay over the odds for new hires with less experience!
    Bad management of teams in UK, inefficient processes, bad hires, lack of leadership
    Strange interference from US HQ office on UK operations

Advice to Management

Need to nurture their existing staff more, and be more cautious on new hires. UK needs more autonomy.

15 Jan 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate hearing from our global locations and wish you the best in your next career endeavor.

"Worked in the London Office for two years"

Former Employee - ECommerce Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - ECommerce Consultant in London, England

I worked at ChannelAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team and I really liked the people.
    Software is second to none.
    Bonuses were decent even though the basic wasn't amazing.
    You could generally get the support needed to land your deal.

Cons

Management made poor decisions like ramping up the sales team but not the (aftersales) implementation team at the same time. Then culling the sales team in 2015.
    The sales managers are young, including the ones from the US.
    The software is a tough sale and overwhelming for most e-commerce clients needs.

Advice to Management

I hope now the leadership is clearer and everything is not just focussed on the value of the stock price.

21 Feb 2018 – Senior Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re sorry you didn’t have a positive experience, but we’re happy to hear that you felt you received the support you needed to close deals... More