Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services CEO Lisa McEuen
Lisa McEuen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible Hours, good people to work with" (in 17 reviews)

• "Great people; fun, learning environment" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay rate for a position that required an abundance of experience" (in 26 reviews)

• "Things are not always organized, Upper management takes a long time on decision making" (in 23 reviews)

1. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in London, England
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in London, England

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services (More than 8 years)

Pros

The long holiday.Fantastic people.Team work.

Cons

Cover people jobs when off..not enought equipment to get the work done

2. "Catering manager within education/ schools"

Former Employee - Catering Manager in Plymouth, England
    Former Employee - Catering Manager in Plymouth, England

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

term time only so lots of holidays.

Cons

Poor upper management support, important equipment not maintained.

Advice to Management

Build in a support network for satellite units.

"Very unprofessional outfit"

Former Employee - Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food and decent benefits

Cons

Senior management only care about profit and shareholders. Only interested in fleecing students for us much money as they can.
    Little to no training
    HR compliance is non existent
    Poor communication throughout the company
    Poor health and safety
    Make staff work long hours and unpaid overtime
    Highly pressurised and dangerous work environment

Advice to Management

What goes up, must come down. Change your ways or become extinct. Can only keep on ripping people off for so long... company is rotten to the core. Improve communication from the top downwards

4. "Cook"

Former Employee - Catering Chef in Maidstone, England
    Former Employee - Catering Chef in Maidstone, England

Pros

I worked with in the school sector so the spread over rate was good

Cons

I feel that a company as big as chartwells should pay all their staff the same rate of pay if doing the same job...obviously not when under 21/18 etc.. in my case I was a cook and was on minimum wage and when queried this after finding that some colleagues at different schools were paid more yet we were doing the same job they used my salary by 50 bleeding p, I then said I wasn't happy and was told that is the going rate even though I knew it wasn't ... so I left, giving little notice...

Advice to Management

Pay a fair rate of pay and stop putting more and more on to the staff that already do a great job...it's the staff that run your company and should be more respectful to them.. to much is taken for granted.. I personally will not work for Chartwells again..10 years was more than enough and I only stayed there as I had children and it fitted in with them.

5. "Customer Service Assistance"

Pros

fair employment policy, flexible hours

Cons

low rate per hour and benefits

Advice to Management

listen carefully to what employees have to say and not draw conclusions too quickly

6. "So so"

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some good perks such as free lunch and coffees but I don't feel like part of the larger Chartwells or Compass group network.

Cons

New staff have zero hours contracts and the pay is terrible.

Advice to Management

Engage with your staff more and pay the living wage in more expensive regions.

7. "not a very nice company to work for"

Pros

none that I can think of

Cons

no support, no training , low pay, expected to work extra hours with no pay, lack of staff to carry out jobs on site, the worst job ever

Advice to Management

support staff and allow enough time for the work given. pay a proper wage for a good days work ! stop taking advantage of peoples good will and commitment to their roles. may look good on paper but staff are just robots not human beings and are short staffed most of the time

8. "Shocking pay"

Current Employee - Catering Assistant in Southampton, England
    Current Employee - Catering Assistant in Southampton, England

Pros

Hours fit in around children

Cons

Zero hours contract,
    Minimum wage,
    No annual pay rise, unless minimum wage increases for you,
    No retainer pay during holidays,
    Won't pay overtime,
    No sick pay,
    Unit manager clueless,

Advice to Management

Pay your staff the wage they deserve for all their hard work, then they'd have a reason to stay.

9. "Not impressed so far"

Current Employee - Chef in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Chef in Leeds, England

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a job, that is all I can say so far

Cons

No staff uniform, no safety shoes after working there a week. No key-card to access the building, I have to stand outside everyday and wait for someone to let me into the kitchen which is a waste of time me trying to be punctual. Also cannot access all areas of the building that I should be going to as its a multi site unit. Can't get out to go home because of the same problem. No Compass welcome letter or any letter confirming I have been offered the job so after a months working there, they could say we don't need you any longer and there is nothing I have to prove I've worked there. All menus supposedly written and designed by "Executive Chefs" and nutritionists but it the most processed crappy food I have ever had the embarrassment of cooking (if you can call it cooking) pastry mix, sponge mix, brownie mix, scone mix, frozen veg, and the list goes on and on. Bought in sauces all loaded with sugar, salt colourings and preservatives yet they will not allow us any salt for health reasons. What a joke. They are clueless.
    Certain odd rules like the children are not allowed anything with chocolate, when I asked what the reason was the management couldn't answer. Oddly chocolate is quite good for you in moderation. As are all the other ingredients that have been replaced with processed crap

Advice to Management

Allow real chefs to be chefs. Stop making us cook/serve poor quality food that is worse than the school dinners I was eating 35 years ago. Get rid of managers that drag the company down by not giving staff the support they need to function professionally.

10. "Why choose Chartwells?"

Pros

Time off.Well balanced and good menu.

Cons

Nill management backup or support.Serious lack of understanding of the customer and staff needs.Lack of required infrastructure.Requirement of staff exceeds job renumeration.

Advice to Management

I believe that you do not appreciate the good staff that you do have but let the bad staff carry on,which shows to your customers.Your customers see what is happening and although they may not complain, when your contract comes up for review as has happened lately and will carry on happening you will lose contracts.I do believe that the service you provide is essentially very good but you are lacking in employee satisfaction.I do understand that not everyone will be happy all the time and rules are rules and have to be adhered to,but your staff are the face of your company.I hope that this is taken as costructive and good luck in the future.