Chevron Administrative Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Mike Wirth
  1. "Amazing"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Chevron full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the hours and the people and the safety

Cons

None that I know of. It's a good company to work for.

Chevron2014-07-27
  2. "Best company I ever worked for"

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Chevron full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company encourages each employee to take charge of their career and move around within company

Cons

Getting employed at company takes time and determination

Chevron2014-06-29
  3. "They take care of their employees"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

9/80 work schedule, great work/life balance, they invest in their employees development and training

Cons

A lot of ITC jobs moved to Houston, TX and not enough in the Bay Area where this is supposed to be "corporate headquarters". It seems that the outlook for headquarters staying in San Ramon are not likely. The rumor is that as soon as John Watson retires the new Chairmen will be located in Houston, TX and that will become the new headquarters. The moral has taken a dive since all the moves happened. A lot of... people had to uproot their entire family even when they didn't want to but out of a necessity to keep a job.

Advice to Management

Offer more work-life balance by allowing employees to work from home if there is no need to be in the office. The 2 + hour commute per day is horrible. This would help the moral and overall productiveness get a boost. It would also be nice if Chevron in San Ramon didn't put the on-site child care center on hold. Of course the child care center in Houston is up and running.

Chevron2014-05-30

"my years at chevron"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Chevron full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

i had 23 years of experiance with chevron and got to know alot of my customers on a first name basis and learned to be a leader and supervisor...

Cons

everyone has problem customers, the best part is how to get around them with offending someone.

Advice to Management

learn to listen well with suggestions and make constructive critisims without talking down to employees like childeren...

Chevron2013-10-21
  5. "Chevron is a wonderful company to work for"

Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Chevron for less than a year

Pros

This is a company that works as a team. Everyone is included in the process of projects that are in place. Management, Supervisors, and Team leads notify you in advance if there is a delay or a company change. I worked with them (temporary) at the Downtown Houston location. It is a positive place to work with lots of diversity.

Cons

Hard to secure a position at times. There are not any cons that I can find.

Chevron2013-10-11

"Highly political environment"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Chevron full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent salary and benefits for employees, but engineers receive preferential treatment

Cons

The performance review process (PMP) is highly political and not at all fair contrary to the corporate policy that is highly touted. Anyone with authority over another can say anything on the review form without proof or documentation. The supervisor's word is FINAL no matter how much the employee protests.

Advice to Management

Review your human resources policies and listen and pay attention when an protests a poor review. There is more to the story other than what the supervisor says. Listen to the employee and not just the supervisor!!!

Chevron2013-08-17

"No opportunity for contractors"

Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Chevron

Pros

Good company to work for, good atmosphere. However, although they are constantly drilling into everyone the high level of integrity across the board when it comes right down to it it's all about the numbers. I worked contract for almost five years and although I was given extremely positive feedback during that time they never offered me a permanent position.

Cons

No loyalty to contractors who have worked for the company for many years.

Chevron2012-03-16
  8. "Great place to work if you ever make it to "catergory 1""

Administrative Assistant

I worked at Chevron

Pros

Employee benefits and community involvement. 9/80 and flexible work schedules allow for family balance.

Cons

Depending on the "function" you support, work-life balance may be optional. Training and development seem to be managers discrection and not the choice of the employee. Not many standards for Managers/Supervisors to adhere to and performance goals are definately hit or miss. Most seem to be made up which makes it difficult to assess how one makes it to category 1 if your hard work but it is group specific and... irrelavent to ranking teams.

Advice to Management

In a world of acronyms and stardardization, ensure that there are measurements in place to asess managers and supervisors effectiveness.

Chevron2010-11-04
  9. "Chevron is a great company to work for."

Administrative Assistant in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

The best reason to work for Chevron are that they pay way, great benefits and locations across the world to work. Supervisors are very understanding when you need to take time off or leave early/come late to work. I've never been questioned. There are many opportunities for growth and our bonuses/success sharing has always been great. I've definitely learned that working for Chevron is better than working at... most other companies out there.

Cons

Many employees feel we should get a larger discount on gas and perhaps, when using our own debit/credit cards and not only when using a Chevron gas card. They are many, many processes and barrier to go through when trying to get things done. It can take a very, very long time to get something implemented.

Advice to Management

To listen to the suggestions and comments of the employees, especially during townhalls.

Chevron2009-02-27

"Chevron is a great place to work!"

Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Chevron is safety oriented; they put safety first for their employees. This benefits both the employee and the company. Every employee is empowered to stop any job if they see something unsafe. Another thing that impresses me is their Recognition and Award program; every employee is encouraged to recognize and award a peer for a job well done. Everyone really likes to receive these awards; people seem to try harder... to do their best for everyone. Our department is really concerned about Work/Life balance. Within our department, most are on a 9/80 schedule which means we have every other Friday off. Most employees really look forward to that 3-day weekend. When I need time off, it is usually not a problem to get my supervisor's approval. They encourage people to stay home if the weather is hazardous or if you or a family member is sick. Chevron is a great place to work!

Cons

I have had a challenge to find a new career opportunity; I have been an admin for a number of years and am ready to try something different. Most jobs at Chevron require a specialized degree; my degree is in Business; I am sure I will find something; I just have to be diligent in my search.

Advice to Management

I think senior management is doing a great job; they keep us informed and I am impressed with their leadership.

Chevron2009-02-10