Chevron Phillips Chemical Employee Reviews about "cpchem"

Updated Sep 11, 2020

Found 10 of over 302 reviews

4.1
Chevron Phillips Chemical CEO Bruce Chinn
Bruce Chinn
Pros
  • "I also was a fan of the 9/80 work schedules(in 34 reviews)

• "Great work life balance, visibility, flexibility(in 29 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance varies widely depending on your role(in 16 reviews)

• "Career progression can be difficult for people who are not chemical engineers(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "cpchem"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Great People and Rewarding Work

Sep 11, 2020 - Business Intelligence Intern in The Woodlands, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

My internship with CPChem was valuable and rewarding as they had me work on projects that added value to the company instead of giving me busy work and sitting in on conferences. My team was incredibly friendly, and the environment was collaborative which I appreciated greatly.

Cons

I have very little to say negatively; however, one area of improvement could be the a slight lack of diversity in the IT department.

2. 5.0

Great company

Nov 5, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

CPChem is a great company to work for with amazing benefits. The work life balance and training that I receive here is second to none so I don’t see myself leaving this amazing company anytime soon.

Cons

I have not run across a con yet, it is truly that great of a company to work for. Not every company is perfect but CPChem does a good job of coming close.

3. 4.0

Impressive and growing company

Sep 13, 2016 - Engineer in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

For its industry, CPChem is a smaller company and is extremely profitable as it produces incredible amounts of product. Opportunities for Engineers here are abundant as they continue to grow at a very fast pace. 9/80 schedule is great.

Cons

The growth and retirement of baby-boomers could present issues later in the knowledge handover. The pay is above average but not as good as come of its competitors. They lose some young employees simply for higher salaries attained at other jobs...this doesn't need to happen.

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

Accountant

Dec 9, 2015 - Accountant in The Woodlands, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

CPChem is a great place to work. Awesome benefits and fair pay. I feel the work load is well balanced and the 9/80 schedule is great, however I wish they would let you make it up when you have to miss one of your days. They are also very concerned with safety it is embedded in the culture.

Cons

The culture is very conservative and I mean fiscally. I've paid for almost all my lunches every time we've gone out on team lunches.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great Smaller Larget Company

Aug 10, 2015 - Supply Chain Specialist in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

It is easier to be a big fish in a smaller pond. CPChem is a good size, stable company with great benefits and is working to improve what it offers to its employees.

Cons

Smaller orgs don't specialize as much as, say, an Chevron or ExxonMobil. Therefore the workload can be more varied and more demanding.

6. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Short term profitability prioritized over being a "great or even good place to work".

Dec 28, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Reputable company, focus on the safety of employees. CPChem is small enough to feel like a medium sized company where you know most of your fellow employees. Profitable company that is focused on doing what they do well (Olefins-Polyolefins value chain).

Cons

CPChem has decided to pay less than the competition over the last 10 years and it's beginning to show. Outside hires since forming the company in 2000 are not of the same caliber as those that came from the parent (oil ) companies. Employee turnover has increased dramatically over the last 6 years with many experienced people moving on to higher paying positions elsewhere. Tendency to hire/ promote people within the organization more on who they are related to, go to church with, play golf with, etc. rather than objective work performance, experience, or proven contributions. Being a flat organization and a medium sized company, upward promotional opportunities are severely limited once you are at a mid management level. A great deal of micro- management culture still pervades from one of the parent companies, seems totally out of place and a "dinosaur" in today's work environment. CPChem focus's on the bottom line is exclusive to developing employees or making it a "great place to work".

10 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good company to work for close to home

Aug 27, 2014 - Information Technology in The Woodlands, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Overall CPChem is a good company to work for. They are employee focused and strive to have a good work/life balance. 9/80 work schedule, and training opportunities are decent. Excellent benefits package, generous 401k and pension offerings. As with any company, there are office politics and persnickety managers but ymmv.

Cons

CPChem is in the O&G sector but unfortunately compensation for IT roles is not on par with their peers in O&G.

4 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Intern

very attentive to individual goals and development

Sep 18, 2013 - Anonymous Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

I had a wonderful experience with this company. Everyone is really friendly and likes their job. They have cohesive and encouraging atmosphere. They are also growing rapidly due to the shale gas boom and it is a great career choice to come work at CPChem.

Cons

none that I have noticed for a company of this size

9. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Good people, great experience

May 2, 2013 - Process Engineer in Doha
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at CPChem as an intern as a process engineer and this was one of my favorite internships. All of the employees (from technical field workers top management) are more than happy to help out and teach, something that's not always the case.

Cons

I only worked there for two months as an intern, and I have no complaints!

10. 5.0
      Former Employee

CPChem is a great place to start a career.

Aug 31, 2008 - Mechanical Engineering in Sweeny, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very good opportunity to interact with management. There was very good company culture, employees were expected to be productive but the work environment wasn't extremely driven. CPChem has a very good mentoring program and they attempt to accomodate their employees career goals. Most employees are satisfied with their company experience. Management provided useful feedback through employment.

Cons

The compensation was good but not quite as much as comperable positions in the petroleum industry. If you're looking for a huge company, go somewhere else. Most of the management team is familiar with the management at the other sites. Not all seasoned employees were thrilled to work with new hires but most were helpful.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 English Reviews