Chevron Process Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Oct 14, 2019

2.9
Chevron CEO Mike Wirth
Mike Wirth

"Good culture, but slow technical career ladder; operations leadership is the only way."

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People, for the most part, are more respectful at Chevron compared to other oil and gas companies at which I've worked. Career trajectories are high if you're willing to go with the flow and move every few years to that next opportunity. Diversity is more valued than many other oil and gas companies. Strong safety culture with ability to stop work. Extroverts go far here.

Cons

Technical subject matter expertise is not cultivated from within. Those bringing in technical capability externally will feel underappreciated because managers don't know what good actually looks like. Company is trying to integrate upstream and downstream but won't be successful as long as there is such a huge pay difference between the two. Downstream technical engineering salaries are lower compared to many... other downstream players. To advance in downstream, ops management seems like the only way to go. Gotta talk the talk and play the game. Due to performance rankings vs. your peers, you gotta fight your way to be competitive--lot of hey, look at me me me!

Advice to Management

C'mon, give some more respect to your technical folks outside of just the BIN and ETC. What about your hardworking engineers keeping the plants running everyday!?

Chevron2019-10-15
  2. "Process Engineering and Automation Intern"

Former Intern - Process Engineering and Automation in Houston, TX

I worked at Chevron for less than a year

Pros

Lots of networking opportunities to meet executives and great interns!

Cons

Internship experiences depends heavily on the team you work with

Chevron2019-10-09
  3. "Great company but poor local management"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA

I worked at Chevron full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

401k matching. Colaborative coworkers. Company networks.

Cons

large corporation - hard to get support to the projects Depending of your supervisor you can be overworked Poor culture

Chevron2019-08-26

"Limited Career Growth and My Way or the Highway Supervisors"

Current Employee - Process Safety/Facility Engineer in Covington, LA

I have been working at Chevron full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent moving package if you are willing to completely uproot your home life, kids and spouse to move for more money. Good base salaries if you are willing to forget all ethics and be a "my way or the highway" supervisor or employee.

Cons

The company advertises multiple career opportunities but then management or supervisors limit career growth for their departments and direct reports. Chevron brands themselves as a diverse and equal opportunity employer, yet supervisors do not preach what they say and will limit their employees in order to keep good people in their team instead of letting them excel in other job opportunities within the company.... Many supervisors have a control issue. If you say one thing, they will make you do the opposite just so they can be right. I have heard from peers that the HR hotline number is useless, only creates more trouble and should never be used even though the company promotes the hotline. Inflexible work schedule. The company promotes work life balance yet the decisions rest in your supervisor's personnel interpretation of work life balance. No room for working remotely and your vacation plans are expected to be changed per the supervisor's request for internal fictitious corporate deadlines.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Allow employees to do cross-functional assignments and push employees to think outside of the box instead of doing it the same way since the beginning of time. The company as a whole acts like they value diversity, yet supervisors on an individual level do not promote innovation or creative thinking.

Chevron2019-09-16
  5. "Great company"

Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Richmond, CA

I worked at Chevron full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Wonderful place to work Lots of learning opportunities

Cons

None to speak of. Very nice people

Advice to Management

Keep up the exciting culture

Chevron2019-06-20
  6. "Process Automation Engineer"

Current Employee - Process Automation Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron full-time for less than a year

Pros

High salary, great benefits, travel opportunities, on-site gym, fantastic training and career development, company matches 8% in 401k if employee puts in 2%, the medical/dental/vision have low monthly cost, great location in downtown Houston, 9/80 schedule with every other Friday off, gas discounts and lots of opportunities if you're willing to learn and travel.

Cons

High pay comes with high expectations.

Chevron2019-01-02
  7. "Process Engineer"

Current Contractor - Process Engineer in Lagos

I have been working at Chevron for more than a year

Pros

Staff bus, free lunch, condusive environment

Cons

If you a contract staff, not much benefits

Chevron2018-04-03
  8. "Great company, pay and benefits. Good people."

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Chevron full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Treat people like people. Focus is on giving meaningful projects and positions. Employees rewarded for good work at current location. Great people and promotion of those who are smart and capable.

Cons

High stress situations at times. Must be mobile to advance.

Advice to Management

Maintain focus and efforts on Human Performance.

Chevron2018-01-27
  9. "process engineer"

Former Employee - Process Engineer

I worked at Chevron full-time

Pros

very good benefits and work environment. the work schedule was good, they cared for their employees and had a strong vision statement and corporate path forward

Cons

there were few cons there, The performance evaluation process was skewed and tended to have accountability gaps. There were occasions were departments did not communicate well with each other

Advice to Management

I have very little advice to management, they had a strong business plan and vision for the future. They cared a great deal for their employees and I would encourage them to continue this process

Chevron2017-08-20
  10. "Great till downturn"

Former Employee - Process Engineer

I worked at Chevron full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great autonomy, work life balance etc

Cons

Too much bureaucracy, specifically the middle management "permafrost" - hard to break though and deliver meaningful messages

Advice to Management

Layoffs should consider more of middle management

Chevron2017-02-02