Chicago Marketing Sales Representative Reviews

Updated 13 Nov 2019

3.4
Chicago Marketing Owner Jacob Cline (no image)
Jacob Cline
  1. "LOVE this!"

Current Employee - Sales Representatives in Palatine, IL

I have been working at Chicago Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Where do I start? I’m reading some of the reviews here and i gotta say my experience has been nothing but amazing. Coming from a high intensity sales position this company is a BREEZE! There is training every step of the way to be successful professionally, but it goes beyond that. Our market director actually values the individual and I received coaching on not just business but on my personal and financial worlds. I can clearly see who in our office is just here to collect a paycheck and who actually wants to be a player in business development.

Cons

Don’t waste your time if you aren’t willing to work hard. There is no cap to bonuses but someone will not last long if they are trying to do the minimum but expect the most. You’re kidding yourself in this business and in anything else in life if that’s how you think.

Chicago Marketing2019-11-13

November 25, 2019Human Resource Director

Thank you for your recent review of Chicago Marketing, we appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear you are enjoying your time with us. We agree the role takes hard work and dedication, and also enjoy spending time with our work family outside of the office. Hope to see you for our office Potluck this week :)

"Balance is Important"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

CMI is full of opportunities. It's a stable company (always growing in size and sales) where management gives great opportunities and employees can earn more responsibility quickly. It's a great place to grow - particularly for those starting entry-level. Good benefits - beyond the norm of medical, onsite fitness center, great internship programs. It is family-owned and often feels like a family environment despite its large size. Be ready to work hard and you'll earn more in return. Good benefits and perks

Cons

CMI has grown in size fast and sometimes the resources take longer to catch up.

Chicago Marketing2019-09-22

September 30, 2019Human Resource Director

Hi there - we appreciate you sharing your experience with us here. We take every bit of feedback seriously and work on creating an inclusive environment at all times. We agree on the communications chain being muffled at times and are working on breaking down the components of our chain of command to create a better process within the management team. We are happy to hear that you enjoy the team environment and benefits of the team :)

3. "Good group of people - needs more balance for work/life"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Chicago Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people that work at chicago marketing are great. There is a very collaborative, collegiate atmosphere. People pull together to offer help, advice and to get the job done. The work load could be demanding. The more one takes on, more is expected. Colleagues of mine that did not have firm boundaries did not seem to have great work/life balance.

Cons

In my opinion the culture could be a lot better. The managers need to be more open minded to the work life balance most of need in order to be successful at our jobs

Chicago Marketing2019-09-24

September 30, 2019Human Resource Director

Hi there - thank you kindly for taking the time to leave us a review. We take a lot of pride in our ability to work collaboratively between divisions and levels of management/ tenure here, so we always appreciate the positive feedback. When it comes to creating a better work/life balance for our team, we see what you are speaking of and are working on a better solution for our "all in" employees who immerse themselves into their work by creating a better over all schedule, back up plan for work over loads and more flexibility with schedules. If you have any specific occasions that need to be addressed please email me directly at hr@chicagomarketinginc.com

"For your own good please read this"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Downers Grove, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Chicago Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Employees are kind and helpful (but is that not the bare minimum every human should expect of a functioning company?)

Cons

Let me preface this by saying congratulations if you are reading this review because there is bound to be a plethora of fake positive reviews that this honest one is buried under. Companies like this are always hiring and want to immediately bring you in because they cannot maintain employees. Let me tell you why. I was under the impression I would be a sales representative, instead virtually every employee sets up at a Costco or Sam's club and tries to flag and stop people walking by asking if they need internet/phone/TV/energy based on the (actual) company they are selling for. Yes, this is technically being a sales representative, however I just paid over 60K to go to college and I am NOT going to waste my time being a mall-kiosk salesman. Even if I was on my last dollar I would rather work anywhere else but here. If you do not mind standing in a Costco asking people if "they heard about whats going on today" (comical intro line they use to bait people into following them to ask them about their internet provider) then this job is for you. Any marketing or entry level sales position recruiter that calls you the same day you apply and tells you they would like to "cross-train you into a management role" or "we are growing fast and looking to expand into xyz area" is just another version of this company and you should beware. I have received calls and offers from many other places and if I had not had this experience at CMI then I probably would be baited into another scenario like this with some other firm. They are just seeing which people will sink or swim and stay around long enough to become a hiring manager who ultimately tries to get even more people to go through the months on months of selling internet at a Costco. If you do not mind this then by all means go ahead and work there, but despite these employees and managers being very nice- they will not tell you the truth until you sign that offer letter and show up for that first day of work.

Chicago Marketing2019-08-23

September 2, 2019Human Resource Director

Hello there! We are understand that this is a blanket review you are leaving for marketing companies. To be specific: We have a fine tuned interview process that allows us to really get to know the people we hire and for the potential candidate to really know the company before accepting a position with us. We hire people from different backgrounds, skill sets, and life paths to create an inclusive and dynamic team. With that being said, if during the interview process, we feel as if someone's skill set and trajectory of their career doesn't line up with ours we do not move forward with the interview process. The further the interview process goes, the more detailed and thorough the interview is which allows both parties to go over every responsibility, growth opportunity and detail about the position being applied to. In your case, it sounds as if the interview process ended pretty early so that you were not able to get the details of the role in depth. There are hundreds of small marketing companies out there that use a lot of the tactics that you are stating as part of their pitch - however, the results are in the writing and in the details - not all of them can match their promises, but some can. It is a hard industry to navigate. With that being said, Chicago Marketing takes pride in being the trail blazers of our industry. We are recognized all over the country for our growth, our pay, our team culture, our results, and our innovative techniques. We know that the industry evolves daily and that we always need to be a head of the curve in order to stay on top - therefore, we do. Again, we are sorry that your experience was poor in general - and we wish that it would have been easier for you. Best of luck moving forward!

"I knew immediately that I'd waste my life there"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative in Palatine, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Chicago Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good opportunity to meet people, coworkers and clients, in an energetic environment.

Cons

You have to work all the time with limited PTO or vacation. "Marketing Representative" mean stand in a Costco or Menards, representing another corporation and selling their products. I liked my coworkers, but being surrounded by people actually enthusiastic about this as a career was extremely disheartening.

Chicago Marketing2019-06-18

July 1, 2019Human Resource Director

Hi there - thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We appreciate the compliments on our team's energy and environment. To touch base on the negatives - we want to express that our retail venue is a huge portion of our company, and one of the most successful but it is not all we offer here for our clients. PTO is earned after 90 days and we offer unlimited time off prior to that with a two week notice. Typical work week for full time is between 40-42 hours a week and 20-25 for part time employees. We have a solid track record for our career employees nationwide, and we applaud them for taking our business to the next level - however, we know that it is not for everyone. We continue to work on new and innovative ways to make even more flexible for our team. If you have further questions or comments feel free to reach out to me directly at hr@chicagomarketinginc.com

"Inside Sales Rep"

4.0
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

I started at CMI a few months ago. It has been an interesting run thus far. Ebbs and flows are expected when it comes to a new position as I navigated through training and learning the ins and outs of the role. I am still learning as we speak, taking on new responsibilities on a regular basis. I appreciate the ability to grow as my workmanship allows. They somewhat build the position around the individual and their strong suits/ assets.

Cons

The training is thorough but needs some work. There needs to be more one on one training that is on going past the initial 90 days. Management needs to spend more time with the leaders in the office to make sure information is up to date before it trickles down the pipeline.

Chicago Marketing2018-10-17

October 18, 2018Human Resource Director

Thank you for your feedback - As leaders in the industry we continue to grow at a quick pace and work hard to make sure each employee has the opportunity for growth as well. The learning curve for each person here differs from the next and we will continue to find ways to cater to each person throughout their growth here.

"Overall Pyramid Scheme like, fun at first but ugliness comes out"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Representative

I worked at Chicago Marketing full-time

Pros

Some of the people and teams are nice, high up managers were very intelligent and motivating

Cons

It's a rip off and waste of time, you are overworked and underpaid, they take advantage of people who don't know how marketing works and overwork them and tell them that they will become management level but really just in a sam's club or Costco. Extremely straining and also no benefits.

Chicago Marketing2018-01-17

February 1, 2018Human Resource Director

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I would love a chance to go over this in person if you'd be willing to speak with me about it. Sophia@chicagomarketinginc.com is my email to set up a time or even to discuss via email. I will clarify a few things: 1. Office time is for training. You get out what you put in, so, again, those who take it seriously get something out of it. The definition of marketing is promoting or selling products and services, marketing is a wide range of fields and jobs however we specialize in those fields as mentioned. 2. We only offer management positions to people who are qualified, or who have been within the company and earned a promotion. Not everyone makes a good manager or has the requirements we are looking for. We have people who just do sales and marketing here, or just have a part time role, and we have people who do want to build a career. 3. We offer benefits if you were here for 90 days, some people are offered benefits from the beginning of their career, but all of this is discussed with management. 4. Last, we do care about our employees here, every single one of them. And we do our best to make sure everyone is a good fit here. We want everyone who works with us to love working with us. We say that DURING the interview process. Every day. We tell people, "if it's not a hell yes, it's a no. We want to make sure you are a perfect fit for us and that we are for you. We want you to love coming to work every day, or go find a place you will love going to work every day." It seems we were not a great fit, so I do hope you find somewhere you can say you love working every single day.

"LIES AND MORE LIES"

I have been working at Chicago Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

NONE DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME

Cons

Was lied to from day 1 start at 30-75k base .Second interview was the pitch to become a manager. Every one makes 10 dollars a hour tell you sell 6 Direct TV instals then you make 150 on each sale. If you don't mind standing at a Costco hustling Direct TV working weekends and no health care this is the job for you. Wasted a total much time.

Chicago Marketing2017-08-31

December 7, 2017Human Resource Director

I apologize we needed to part ways, we do not advertise any positions with such a large salary range. As a sales representative the base that we offer is always 50k or below as these roles also include bonuses, incentives, and commission on top of it as it is a sales role. So you have potential to make 75k or above but not as your base it would be the combination of your base plus commission & bonuses. Also healthcare is offered after your probationary training period, so if you were here less than 90 days you indeed did not qualify. Also not everyone makes the same amount here nor is it discussed between employees. Again we are sorry we had to part ways but we wish you the best of luck in your next endeavor.

"Thankful I looked passed the Negatives !!!"

I have been working at Chicago Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

I recently just got a position with Chicago Marketing INC. I was a legal secretary with the state of Illinois, with really no room from growth. I was looking for a position I could move up in a company and really grow with. I am so happy I showed up for my first round interview, and listened to how the company was run as a whole. From the very first day you walk in, you are being pushed to be better and grow into that management roll. If you are looking for a career where you can eventually be your own boss, and do it quickly, this is the company for you !!!!

Cons

I really can not think of one honestly, this is the best move I have ever made regarding my career.

Chicago Marketing2016-10-22

December 5, 2016Human Resource Director

Thank you for the kind words about our company, we are glad you were able to look past the negatives as well and find a place within our company. We can not control everything that gets online, sometimes we wish there was a website for us to review employees too. But we strive to constantly improve to provide a great working environment for the people here.

"Amazing Opportunities"

I have been working at Chicago Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, opportunities are endless within this company. The company truly cares about their employees and to see them succeed. They give them the tools to be successful and your career flourishes.

Cons

Play better music in the lobby

Chicago Marketing2016-10-11

February 21, 2018Human Resource Director

Hello Reviewer, Thanks for the awesome 5 star review. I think we do really strive to provide growth and success to all employees who offer hard work and a great attitude. We can always agree the music choices will not always please everyone so we are always providing a mixture of music playlists these days,

Found 13 reviews