Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Randall L. O'Donnell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Overall, a great place to work--no matter which department you choose (in 9 reviews)

• Good benefits, hours, and good pay (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The paid time off is earned by points of an hour and hard to accumulate, there is no schedule flexibility, or work/life balance accommodations (in 4 reviews)

• Off site parking so you have to take shuttle (in 6 reviews)

1. "Laboratory Managment is Awful...Company is amazing to work for"

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time

Pros

Company is great to their employees and the benefits are amazing. Great opportunities to move around within the company

Cons

The laboratory has poor management. Working hard won't guarantee you any sort of leadership roles. Ranking is based purely on likability and if the lab manager doesn't like you she will make sure to push you out.

Advice to Management

Base advancement on work method and not on personal preference. Preferential treatment should not be permitted when offering overtime or additional shifts.

"The bad outweighs the good."

Current Employee - Physician in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Physician in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Hospital is truly committed to helping all children in need

Cohesive staff and colleagues

Cons

Administrative burdens and constantly changing rules/guidelines are incredibly frustrating

Since about 2013, there has been an ongoing push from Administration to take on more and more and work and responsibilities in all aspects of your job, with no additional support and minimal wage increases (which don't even keep up with the cost of inflation). This has led to burnout among myself and many of my colleagues

The research infrastructure is truly awful, considering that Children's Mercy is striving to become a leading academic pediatric hospital that excels as a research institution

Advice to Management

Be more reasonable about the amount of constant change and ever-increasing administrative burdens (and work responsibilities) you are placing on medical staff. Many of my colleagues are seeking other job options.

If you truly want to be a research institution, get the research infrastructure improved ASAP, or you will find yourself losing accomplished researchers and have a hard time recruiting any new researchers to come to the institution

"Research and lab departments"

Current Employee - Clinical Trial Coordinator in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Clinical Trial Coordinator in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interaction with patients and families
    Good overall company values
    Research department has grown a significant amount and we are becoming known for the research we are doing

Cons

Management doesn't help employees to develop their careers
    Management shows no interest in improving work conditions or finding solutions for issues/ problems
    Little to no work-life balance (I've been told multiple times that I need to stay until the job is done even though the job is never done because we do nitty have enough staff to do the work that is expected of us)
    No recognition for the work completed

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you care about them and that you are interested in their careers. Appreciate your employees that are doing a good job.

5. "Great Place to work"

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with friendly and laid back co-workers.

Cons

Being on call 50% of the year

6. "Transport EMT"

Current Employee - Critical Care Transport EMT in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Critical Care Transport EMT in Kansas City, MO (US)

Pros

They are very safety conscious

Cons

Sometimes the communication isn't the best

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

"Love my job"

Current Employee - Patient Access in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Patient Access in Kansas City, MO (US)

Pros

It is an amazing place to work! I absolutely love my job functions. I wish they allowed good employees more chances to advance within the hospital.

Cons

When you are in one department, you don't have the ability to move around and learn the others. You become narrow minded and it's hard to get out of a department if it's not for you.

Advice to Management

More leadership classes and have an internal job listing for internal applications first. More people are interested in positions they don't know are out there.

8. "Staff RN"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic place to work. If you want to advance, there are plenty of opportunities. Great support from managers.

Cons

Pay could be a bit more competitive.

Advice to Management

Offer incentive for employees who have been with the organization longer.

"Terrible senior management"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to work with children

Cons

CEO is making over 6 million per year while the staff are the lowest paid in the city. Senior leadership is Aweful and will not correct mistreatment of middle managers.

Advice to Management

Replace senior leadership

"awful place to work"

Former Employee - Director in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Kansas City, MO (US)

Pros

pay, benefits were ok. Some of my peers were kind, hardworking people. Others were some of the cruelest I have ever met.

Cons

Senior management is rude and cruel. They are like a mafia. If you are in, you are great. If not, you're black balled. The Human Resources team is also nasty and are not helpful. When trying to help an employee, they were unhelpful and only focused on what I and the employee were doing wrong in their opinion. Employee relations is basically senior management relations. If you are referred to them, you're toast. Most of the nurses that are high up have been there for 20+ years, don't do their work and are extremely unpleasant to work with.

Advice to Management

Get some new blood. When the CEO is the highest paid in a hospital in the country, that's a problem because this is Kansas City!

11. "MLS"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, hours, and good pay.

Cons

Shortage of employees on evenings. Workload can be stressful due to being a reference lab for all others Children's Mercy hospitals testing.