Cisco Systems Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

11,455 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People and Cool technology.

Cons

Constant worry about redundancies and cuts to the workforce

2. "As Cisco transforms, it's an exciting time to be here!"

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, positive attitude. Diversity. Investment in digital marketing and understanding how critical it is to the future. A lot of investment in talent nurturing.

Cons

Things take a long time to implement. Pockets of resistance to change. Not often outward looking enough.

Advice to Management

Be brave. Make the changes you see need to happen. Move faster.

3. "Good, but not as good as they make out"

Former Employee - Public Relations Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Public Relations Manager in London, England

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- smart people
    - bellweather company
    - relatively good compensation package

Cons

- marketing & communications is an after thought with rest of the company
    - lost alot of smart loyal people through several rounds of redundancies
    - internal processes are awful- too painful to hire people, use budget, share content, do annual planning, get things done in general etc

Advice to Management

- sort wheat from chaff better during redundancies
    - sort out internal processes so free up time to get actual job done

5. "good"

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time

Pros

good salary and work from home facility

Cons

nothing as of now .

Advice to Management

no advice

6. "Reasonable"

Current Employee - Tech Lead in Southampton, England
    Current Employee - Tech Lead in Southampton, England

I have been working at Cisco Systems (More than 8 years)

Pros

As IT companies go cisco probably isn't the worst, but it is quite large and varied... The part I work in (SPVSS) is shriking, and that can be felt.

Cons

Very deep hierarchies, lots of red tape, infighting, politics, and all the joys of large companies!

Advice to Management

Learn from the smaller ones, actually focus on the customer!

7. "Senior Corporate Counsel"

Current Employee - Senior Corporae Counsel in Feltham, South West England, England

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible flexibility for remote-working, great working and supportive environment, many locations around the world which make if one has to move, for example, for family-related matters.

Cons

Somewhat flat structure, hence challenging to create a career path

8. "Makes space for me"

Current Employee - Customer Business Analyst in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Customer Business Analyst in Reading, England

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cisco offers a place for people of such diverse backgrounds. I joined later in my career; i hadn't previously worked in IT or for a global corporation but to my surprise, I fitted in. If you are prepared to work hard and are confident enough to come up with ideas, then you are given the opportunity to grow. In recent years I have developed a visual impairment and my Cisco managers have been fantastic at getting me the support I need.

Cons

Over my 10 years at Cisco there has been a lot of reorganisation bringing changes to my role, team, managers. However, the rationale and objectives of the changes are always made clear. We do have to live and work wondering what is coming next.

Advice to Management

Give more advance notice of what is going to change and when. This would prepare employees not only to accept it but to contribute to it. There could be more change management activities which involve brainstorming with employees, leveraging opinions at all levels.

9. "Great flexibility and opportunity... for those that take it!"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a large global company Cisco is a whole ecosystem of job opportunity and progression in itself. If you have the ambition and the ability there are many opportunities to progress within your field, and also to explore opportunities in new areas.

Equality is an ethos - the board is 50% female and diverse, and that reflects all the way through the organisation. Your gender, ethnicity, country are not barriers to how successful you can be and the opportunities you will have. A lot of internal training and activities on unconscious bias, conscious leadership, diversity, inclusion. Opportunities to get involved with groups focused on all those areas: Connected Women, LBGT+ to name just a couple.

Its a flexible place to work. As one of the leading vendors of collaboration tools, a flexible approach to where and how you work is encouraged. Don't see it as a way to slack-off though. Whether you are at a desk, at home, or on your commute, everyone works hard. Its about getting the job done to a high standard, not about where you are to do that.

The Cisco ethos of #lovewhereyouwork, and of complete inclusion and diversity, really is felt throughout the organisation. Cisco is about embracing everyone, enabling them to shine to their full potential, and they really want us to enjoy being part of this 'family'. Its one of the most enjoyable places I've ever worked. Everyone I've worked in, each team, has been fun. And everyone around me is striving for best or better, without it becoming an onerous slog. Which means I am motivated to do the same.

Open and honest communication. Which has really improved in the last 12/18 months. Every month a global all-hands that literally everyone can attend. Regular communication at all levels - transparency about goals, ambitions, priorities and results. Sometimes complaints of lack of communication, but thats increasingly an exception.

Huge focus on 'giving-back' - you can apply for additional days on top of holiday to take part in your chosen community volunteering and charity work! Lots of company organised opportunities to get involved with too.

Cons

Change is a constant. Every year every part of the organisation looks at itself and says 'how can we organise differently to be better'. Annual re-orgs mean new teams, new lines of report, new focus for the job. Open to change & challenge and it can be brilliant. Not so great if you are a creature of habit!

Change isn't just about re-orgs. The tech sector is fast moving, what we sell and the tools to do our job are both moving as fast as each other. You need to be adaptable to new processes, new skills. And accepting that what you did yesterday may be old news today and you need to move on to the next thing.

You need to be noticed. Its a big place, so sitting quietly getting the job done isn't going to get you noticed and your manager today may not be your manager tomorrow, so a lot of networking, self-promotion are part of the culture.

Advice to Management

Keep up the work with ensuring internal comms is delivering the right information to the right people at the right time.

There are definitely pockets of a culture of 'those in the know' and 'the rest'. Needs to be broken.

Focus more on organising for the best interests of the company and be wise to re-orgs that are tactical for the benefit of the ambitious!

10. "Cisco really is an amazing company to work for!"

Current Employee - EMEAR Total Rewads Consultant in New Bedfont, England
    Current Employee - EMEAR Total Rewads Consultant in New Bedfont, England

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having worked in Cisco for nearly 17 years, I can honestly say it is an amazing company to work for and I have had amazing opportunities to grow and develop my skills and feel respected and cared for as a female progressing my career.
    Fabulous benefits, wonderful flexible working, great working environment, amazing people and teams.

Cons

There are no cons for me!

11. "Full time female staffer at Cisco UK"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, great colleagues and a fantastic approach to flexible working. I've found the company are happy to support any combination of office location, (or multi-locations in my case), home working and flexible hours to make your life work. Basically, as long as you're professional about getting the work done and being responsive for your collegues, you can be very flexible about configuring your work day and location(s). Presumably there are some roles where Cisco can't be so flexible, but my experience in technical work is that there are few limitations.

Cons

Some admin processes are cumbersome, although they've improved recently.

Advice to Management

I know there are existing initiatives to attract more women from university. What about targeting older women/returners too. There are plenty of talented, technical women who could be ideal contributors with some refresher training.

Showing 11,455 of 12,600 reviews