Cisco Systems Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.9

12,986 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is encouraged (in 2153 reviews)

• Really flexible with timings (Work from home option ) (in 1000 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be challenging - you have to be fully committed (in 421 reviews)

• Big company politics continue to encroach on what was once "do the right thing" culture that is starting to wain (in 340 reviews)

1. "Great opportunity!"

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time

Pros

Fantastic experiences - enjoy the ride

Cons

Work/Life balance can be challenging - you have to be fully committed

2. "Big company with big opportunities"

Former Employee - Datacenter Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Datacenter Engineer in London, England

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) You will get challenged: regardless of whether you're a Datacenter Engineer, Network Engineer, Programmer, System Engineer or whatever chances are you're going to be working on some cutting edge gear in some really challenging projects. If you want to push yourself and work with some really intelligent people this is the kind of job.

2) You will be rewarded: salaries I found were competitive and their bonuses excellent. Overtime was available if you wanted it. Perks were varied and excellent. They had a reward scheme called connected recognition which was good - if abused.

3) Travel was common: in my line of work, it was common to travel across Europe and the world. Cisco have a very well organised and structured travel system and they will make sure you're well taken care of when abroad.

4) The corporate culture is healthy and caring. They're not too big on waving their own flag or banging their own drum yet at the same time they quietly promote Cisco and help out in things like STEM programs at schools and universities and startups.
    5) Progression: Training was available if you wanted it and it was easy to move within Cisco to different roles if you could demonstrate your ability.

Cons

1) Usual corporate politics but thats the same everywhere to be honest.
    2) Conspicuous lack of season ticket loan which was a bit weird - though I think they've rectified this since I've left.
    3) Sometimes it takes time for new acquisitions to really bed in within Cisco which can lead to friction between existing Cisco employees and the new guys.
    4) Communication between business units quite rare. It was common for me to visit a datacenter in some far flung land and discover Cisco owned cages and racks I had never even heard of.

Advice to Management

1) Keep going with the softly softly employee engagement. Keep investing in STEM and other education and engagement programs outside of Cisco.
    2) Improve communication and collaboration between business units.

3. "Review"

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time

Pros

A stable company with good leadership.

Cons

Can be very process driven.

4. "Strong company with lots of Opportunity"

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time

Pros

Customer focused and large enough to provide opportunities across many areas so that broad experience can keep things fresh. Earning potential is real and strong balance sheet gives stability of large corporate.

Cons

Big company politics continue to encroach on what was once "do the right thing" culture that is starting to wain. Currently stripping out higher cost older individuals for millennials (which many might see as a pro)

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of the customer. Don't lose the healthy paranoia of whomever is coming next.

5. "Sales"

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits, working from home. Such a large company meant I could work whenever and however I wanted to. Hardly ever had to put in more than 20 hours of work per week in order to get all my objectives finished. The rest of the time was my own to do with whatever I wanted!

Cons

Distant management and lack of any strategy or strength from middle management. 20% red tape activity (I'd spend about 1 day in 5 explaining to various people what I was doing). So even though I only worked 20 hours or so to get my real work done, the other 20 hours per week were wasted. It made the job easy and I got paid huge for the work, but I was constantly bored.

Advice to Management

Layoff your useless selves instead of the legion of hard-working, underutilized, and bored employees. Seriously, I had more skills and experience in my job than the 2 layers of management above me! Similar scenes in most other business groups.

6. "Cisco Systems"

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent technology that allows for collaboration. Fun and innovative environment. Inclusive culture with a lot of transparency.

Cons

nothing particularly negative to say

7. "TAC Engineer"

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time

Pros

Lots of learning opportunity
    Good focus on professional development

Cons

Work pressure can be high

8. "Gay out and proud - #LGBT"

Current Employee - Senior Global Marketing Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Global Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For a 70,000 person, global company, there are so many things to be PROUD of in working for Cisco. As an LGBT leader at Cisco, I am happy to be myself, and encourage others to do the same. There is tremendous executive support for our LGBT brothers and sisters at Cisco, across the globe. Cisco's continued 'foot on the gas pedal' delivering on Inclusion & Diversity aren't just words, rather, actions that continue to grow. #CiscoPRIDE is alive and well.

Cons

The only 'Con' I can muster up is the opportunity to find new opportunities within Cisco for many people. Cisco is not a high growth company, so not adding 100s of jobs/week, like some others. That said, there is tremendous opportunity for cross teaming, working on stretch assignments, and raising your hand to do 'other' things.

Advice to Management

There continues to be much talk about Job Rotations...but truth is it is very hard to find, and do. I encourage you to move this up the ladder of 'making it happen' in the next 15-18 months.

9. "Mixed bag"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Feltham, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Feltham, England

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great products. Staff and most leaders are fantatstic

Cons

A few key leaders feather their own nests (and those of their friends) at the detriment of the whole organisation.

Advice to Management

reinstate pulse surveys

10. "Great company but got pretty political"

Former Employee - Client Director in London, England
    Former Employee - Client Director in London, England

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, well organised, good benefits and working conditions. Systems and processes world class

Cons

Growth had stalled (2016) and this lead to layoffs and lots of politics

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing Chuck seems to be turning the ship in the right direction

Showing 12,986 of 14,365 reviews