City Year Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 16 Oct 2019

3.4
City Year CEO Michael Brown
Michael Brown
Pros
  • "Positive community with lots of professional development help(in 101 reviews)

• "I had a great team of Corps members who I worked alongside, as well as supportive management(in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, sometimes communication lacks(in 327 reviews)

• "I have heard of corps members not getting along with their partner teachers(in 155 reviews)

1. "Corps Member"

I worked at City Year full-time

Pros

Great company, great opportunities, rewarding

Cons

structure needs some work, a lot can get lost between management

City Year2016-02-22
  2. "Goo"

I worked at City Year part-time

Pros

Good Working conditions and environment

Cons

Management ideas are to scattered

City Year2019-04-30
  3. "Mentor"

I worked at City Year full-time

Pros

Great experience if you want to know what it’s like to work in a school environment

Cons

Thrown into the deep end

City Year2019-04-07
  4. "mentor"

I have been working at City Year full-time

Pros

This will enhance leadership and teaching skills

Cons

Salary is too low with respect to full time work

City Year2018-05-15
  5. "Learning Mentor- United Kingdom"

in London, England

I worked at City Year

Pros

A corps member experience at City Year is quite good because it opens you up to opportunities that others don't have access to. This is because City Year has good sponsors. So I got to meet the former editor of the times, which was quite interesting.

Cons

Committing to the program requires a lot of resilience. The incentives to stay in the program are quite low. Sometimes the schools you are placed don't integrate City Year correctly, so it can be difficult when no one knows what you are meant to do. Plus the pay is only £100 a week.

Advice to Management

Integrate city year better and new schools, create better incentives to stay with the program, something more than a certificate and a reference

City Year2017-09-27
  6. "ggg"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in London, England

I have been working at City Year full-time for less than a year

Pros

great team, perfect working hours, nice location

Cons

responsability, friendly, overtime, good command, nice atmosphere

Advice to Management

be hardworking

City Year2015-10-30
  7. "Experience"

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at City Year full-time

Pros

Great way to network and get transferrable skills

Cons

Management is messy. The pay is low. You work over 40 hours per week.

City Year2019-10-16
  8. "Best opportunity I've ever had!"

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in New York, NY

I worked at City Year full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Became part of a family with my team members -The kids are the best -When you keep asking for opportunities and chances to talk to sponsors THEY WILL HELP YOU, you just have to keep asking for it with determination -I was interested in technology as my career field (whilst a lot of people are in teaching) and joined a group called Service Year. I participated in a contest and won a trip to San Francisco to meet... with other EdTech service members! -Talk about what you need & constantly give recommendations for improvement, especially when they're constantly asking for it. -Loved my manager, and my team leader -When you & your team strive for excellence, then it really shows. In everything. -The CYNY spirit. Honestly its corny to you at first but it's one of the things you love at the end. -While this may seem like a crazy, long hour, low pay job, it IS SO WORTH IT. As long as you stay determined & work hard for the kids and only the kids. The kids are what you're there for. -Monthly Metrocard (the best, you will miss it) -Perks (there are many which you will receive throughout the year, whether free food, meeting at fancy offices, getting NBC tours, etc.)

Cons

-The pay (which is increasing every year, so you'll have it much better most likely) -Other AmeriCorps members that don't care/don't want to do anything. Takes away from the kids' experience honestly -Just dealing with people I guess. But that will be part of any job you have.

City Year2019-10-09
  9. "City Year Dallas"

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Dallas, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at City Year full-time for more than a year

Pros

daily impact, supportive managerial team, training and professional development.

Cons

partner teacher relationship can sometimes be draining as well as school climate depending on school placement. However, overall like most of life its about mindset and your perspective.

Advice to Management

more clarity during admissions process

City Year2019-10-06
  10. "City Year Boston"

Former Employee - Corps Member in Boston, MA

I worked at City Year full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Social Justice driven. You can develop great relationships with your teammates. Numerous training and development days (if you choose to actively participate and pay attention). I was placed with an amazing partner teacher whom I learned so much from throughout the year. You can really connect with your students. You're living on a stipend, which can be difficult (especially if you're a recent college grad paying... for yourself), but the benefits are great (Food Stamps and free public transportation [it really does add up] plus the Segal Award at the end of service is huge). - If you want to go into teaching or work with a non-profit, you will make great connections.

Cons

- Although I was placed on a great team, in a great school, with a great partner teacher, this is not always the case. I have hard horror stories from my friends in other schools who often feel defeated and unable to make the positive impact they are hoping for. I have heard of corps members not getting along with their partner teachers. - A lot of IMs left last year, and I believe that is because City Year Boston... is going through a transition period where it is trying to find its identity. - Although I do support the social justice aspect of City Year, myself and other Corps Members found that this push for social justice and the conversations centered around it could at times go over the top. (take that as you will). - Also, super long hours and you have to make up hours for the days you take off (due to the AmeriCorps requirement of meeting 1700hrs). You would also feel a sense that you will be looked down upon if you don't attend any of the extra events City Year puts on (this is not necessarily on the organization, it's just a pressure that lingers over your head as a Corps Member).

Advice to Management

- Keep training your Corps Members on how to Interact With The Kids! There is so much social justice training (which is important and necessary to understand the communities in which we serve), but it seems as though that is the organizations main focus, not the actual work we do with the students. But to be fair, there are great Impact Coaches who lead great coaching sessions. The main focus for most every LDD... should be about how to better interact with the children in the classroom.

City Year2019-10-07