Civica Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 11 December 2018

3.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "High staff turnover (one very expensive and very senior appointment lasted only 6 weeks)" (in 5 reviews)

• "Some business units don't collaborate as much with the rest of the company so they may feel isolated a bit" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Civica is a great company to work for"

I worked at Civica full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company. Passionate about people. Brilliant training programmes.

Cons

Nothing really. Just keep an eye on keeping the culture as it grows.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on your people.

2. "Almost 2 years in..."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bristol, England

I have been working at Civica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) You will never be afraid to speak your mind and give honest opinions - to all levels of the management chain.

2) Flexible/Agile working arrangements

3) Merlin theme park discounts are crazy good

4) Opportunities to travel abroad - if you want to.

5) Keen to develop staff (but only on internal courses - see ‘Cons’)

6) The people are really passionate about what they do - hardly hear anyone complaining or bringing the mood down.

Cons

Lack of investment in staff development.

Despite achieving/retaining IIP Gold (I’d like to know on what this is judged) I’ve been told that:

1) I am not getting a pay rise - again. So that will be 3 years by the time the next review comes around without one, with no guarantee I’ll get one next time.

2) I can forget about external accreditation in my profession, unless I fund it myself (even though civica are aligned to a major training provider, and Civica regularly advertise through emails about technical training etc)

3) Career path still not clearly defined, despite my attempts to find out how/if I can progress.

Re: Point 1 - I haven’t actually had any performance objectives set at the start of each year (even though I’ve asked).

Advice to Management

Start investing properly in your staff. It’s a great company, and whilst the flexible working is a great thing to have (along with other benefits), there are some people who are just not content with doing the same thing, at the same grade, at the same salary level year after year.
    Sooner or later other companies will adopt similar levels of agile working but offer more in terms of salary and training - and there could be an exodus of staff when this happens

Also, when staff make serious suggestions as to how things can be improved (even at managements request), don’t take the easiest options which can be delegated back to the person who raised them. Try tackling some of the more pressing issues i.e the ones raised in the ‘Cons’ section of this review.

Civica Response

26 Nov 2018

Thank you for your comments about working at Civica - we appreciate you taking the time to share your views. We know that we can't stand still and have to continue evolving and we're sorry to hear... More

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woking, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woking, England

I have been working at Civica full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging work
    People focused
    Work life balance

Cons

I don't think there are any cons

"How did they get 5*??????"

I worked at Civica full-time

Pros

Pay well. Able to work from home.

Cons

Whilst they preach work/life balance the reality is very different. So much red tape you cannot get any work done. Customer care is non-existent. Planning is to tick a box only and they don’t actually follow it through. Meeting about a meeting about a meeting. Company values are a facade. You need to live and breathe Civica to get anywhere here... and then you will be given a title that your not actually capable of living up to! Promoting above stations is a regular occurrence.

Advice to Management

Listen to overworked staff. Employ more people. The bottom line might look good but you cannot fulfil orders without enough capable people! Don’t make people feel guilty if they actually have a life outside of the office!

5. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Civica full-time

Pros

Great ethos, great colleagues and great benefits

Cons

Non so far. Enjoying it very much.

"Dishonest"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Hull, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Hull, England

I have been working at Civica full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team and managers are all friendly.

Location is city centre.

Job itself is not bad.

Cons

Minimum wage.

Shift work 365 days a year.

Unlikely wage increase regardless of experience
    if you are not one of the original staff.

Because not everyone is on minimum wage for thier age or came from the previous contract and are being paid more not everyone is entitled to equal benefits.

Dishonest about job description and employee benefits at the interview and induction.

Advice to Management

Be honest about your job roles and benefits to new starters in the interview and induction, there is no point putting on a grand welcome telling everyone how many benefits are available and how great the company is when half the office aren't entitled to any of them because they are on minimum wage.

Be aware of the inequality you create.

"Avoid!"

I have been working at Civica full-time

Pros

Flexible working helps with work/life balance

Cons

Endless re-organizations, little to no opportunity for progression, stagnant salaries for the last 2 years at least and demotivated staff. Hard to see a future for all but a few niche pockets of expertise.

No vision, always cost cutting, no empowerment, treat whole business as an ITO penny watching business, no trust in middle management to grow digital offerings, very poor comms from the top, AVOID at ALL COSTS

Lack of clarity and stability in Corporate strategy, lots of 'u' turns, low morale, no salary rises, bonuses promised but not paid, not employee focused.

Advice to Management

Find a vision. You are drifting without a compass in anything.

"Great company & Great People"

Current Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in Leeds, England

I have been working at Civica full-time

Pros

Great work culture, and lovely people

Cons

Not much progression for employees

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's

9. "Ok"

I have been working at Civica full-time

Pros

Flexible working and excellent holiday

Cons

Not enough development admin and Business Analysis.

"A great flexible workplace that supports families"

I have been working at Civica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can be a parent and have a career. I have even brought my child to work when struggled for childcare and he had a great day. There is excellent training in a very supportive environment to learn and grow. I have the freedom to work flexibly from home or the office. When I talk to teams around Civica, the feeling that as long as you get the job done you can do it in a way that best works for your lifestyle is common and not unique to my team. I believe that is based on trust and I personally believe that needs to be earned. Fun place, fabulous hub offices, regular fresh fruit provided and work life balance genuinely encouraged.

Cons

It's a fast growing business and that can put pressure on the teams. Also, when you have very committed staff, pressure and growth can mean that they don't want to fail. It can get stressful.

Advice to Management

There is a great leadership team - need to retain our special culture as we grow.
    Balance growth with pressures on individuals to deliver those outcomes.