Classy Reviews

Updated 2 Sep 2020

4.1
Classy Co-Founder and CEO Scot Chisholm
Scot Chisholm

"From Classy to class-less in less than a year"

I worked at Classy full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people you meet there are kind, driven, looking to grow in their careers while supporting a top-notch product.

Cons

You will face some of the highest highs, yet lowest lows in your career here. Things were great for about 7 months, then the next 7 completely flipped the script. Top down just ridiculous what they expect and say of you. You walk on eggshells on the day-to-day. You might wake up one morning feeling good about hitting quota or how what you are doing i of value to the organization, but then the next morning, fired. I fortunately stayed afloat long enough to gather the courage to leave, and I have never made a better decision in my life. However, the experience and friends I met along the way were great. So, it depends what you are looking for. But as far as looking is concerned, i'd look the other way.

VP of Sales

We love that you made lifelong friends at Classy and have landed somewhere where you are happy. We are iterating for the betterment of Classy and our employees. We brought in new leadership, we shook things up, we rolled things out... we didn't do everything perfectly and are course correcting. We feel strongly that we have turned things around and it has shown in a record quarter. We are confident that we have found our formula and are excited to move forward.

"If you are thinking about applying, please read and beware"

1.0
    Former Employee - Mid Market Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I worked at Classy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, the mission is on point, great location for an office, Dog-friendly, feel good knowing you are making a difference when you come to work, Adam Carr

Cons

I mean... where do I start? So many problems with Classy. To start, leadership has no servant leadership qualities. I really believe this comes from the top down (especially when they hired a new president). To be honest, I do not believe he is qualified - he consistently talks about how he doesn't need this job and that he doesn't have to be there and it scares a lot of people. Especially those who have spent a few years at the company. If you take a look at his LinkedIn (which I highly suggest) he has job hopped several times. In regards to the CEO, I wouldn't know much about him. He was not around, never took the opportunity to learn about his people and get in the trenches himself which is a huge red flag because you can really feel that the people were not getting their voice heard. Management is just flat out unqualified - it's just the sad truth. And it's really nothing against them because of the pressure from the board and the new president. There needs to be better development of training and a better plan put in place for their leaders. They do not have very high EQ and it shows. The consistent change with quotas, no transparency, and commission changes is enough to make people realize that something is wrong. And the funny thing is that Classy has a great product, but they can not compete in the space that is 20 years behind.

"Love working here"

5.0

I have been working at Classy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work with some of the best colleagues around.

Cons

As with any growing company, there have been some recent growing pains, but I trust this will ultimately set Classy and it's employees up for long term success.

"Great Product, not sales culture"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Classy full-time

Pros

The actual product is fantastic and they are truly making a much needed change to the online fundraising space. Scott (CEO's) vision for the company is in the right place and they are continuing to do incredible work with nonprofits

Cons

Sales culture at Classy is an ever changing project that has yet to be perfected. Think of the metaphor working on the car while driving down the road only they are constantly trying to take pieces out of the card and replace them with pieces that don't fit. Leadership is ever changing and nothing is consistent. It makes it really hard for reps to hit their goals especially in a market that is already difficult to sell to. If you are looking work with Nonprofits and feel like you are making a difference then Classy is the company for you although I would advise against sales. If you are looking for stability and consistency then stay away.

Continue reading

"Great product, great mission, great culture, tough market"

4.0

I worked at Classy full-time for less than a year

Pros

The office environment is a big perk to the job, and one of their biggest hiring strengths. In a sales gig, especially in Saas, it can be tough feeling like you are having much of an 'impact' on the world, but obviously if numbers are great that may not be a big worry. At Classy you get to speak with nonprofit professionals every day and get to help them make a difference in their organizations (which may or may not be a positive given your disposition). - dog friendly workplace - overlooks the ballpark and all of down town - catered lunches, beer/coffee on tap, etc etc - the founders are great and very approachable

Cons

- it's tough selling software to nonprofits in general, but in a congested market it is even tougher. - generally skilled, helpful sales managers, but it is a performance driven team. learn and do well quickly, or else it will become uncomfortable (this isn't particularly unique to this company, generally the case in any B2b sales job) - comp plan changed almost every other month. not fair, or motivating in that you never really knew the impact of hitting your numbers.

President & Chief Revenue Officer

We are so glad that you had helpful sales managers. We are a performance driven organization, and our sales culture is metrics driven. In past years, the comp plans have changed too frequently. We know that consistency is something is so important to our staff; we have listened to all the feedback coming into 2019 and rectified the situation. We are now basing our sales quotas off of realistic goals. We love our partnership with Salesforce!

"SDR"

I worked at Classy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The office space is awesome Dog friendly office is a huge perk They hire great people Unlimited cold brew is cool Great product and cool problem to solve Some great managers If I was not in sales I’m sure it would be a fun experience.

Cons

With in my first 3 weeks they laid off half my hiring class after I moved across the country to be apart of “ San Diego’s top tech company.” Just heard they laid off the rest of my hiring class in March 5th. Quotas are not realistic, very few people hit their OTE. Not because they are not capable sales professionals, but because there is simply not enough hours in the day to be pounding the phones to hit them. It is possible but an absolute grind. Direction of the company is questionable. Working only with nonprofits is not fun if you are used to doing sales in the for profit space. I have been successfully in sales for multiple years and this was by far my worst experience. After going to a new tech company do I really realize how terrible of an experience it really was.

Sales Operations Manager

Thank you for the note. We admittedly were faced with some difficult decisions earlier this year, but we have rebounded by adhering to a much more disciplined goal setting process. We have found the right quota mix (attainable yet sustainable). Working with non-profit organizations is a complex, yet rewarding experience, and we agree that being passionate about the space makes the job much easier. We are happy to hear that you are thriving in your new role and wish you continued success.

"Great Company, Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Classy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wonderful place to work. A company that collects data, seriously considers and acts on behalf of employee satisfaction feedback. Great managerial support and check-in process. A place where you can be the owner and driver of your professional growth and career goals. So many employees really do care about the mission and work together respectfully and cohesively despite differences. Tons of perks too, which is a plus in addition to the value of the work being done. Classy expects the best and provides the best!

Cons

Truly great place to work

"No loyalty, beware of your own risk"

I worked at Classy full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are a recent college grad, this might be a decent place to get some exposure to the sales world and get a basic understanding before you move on to a real role.

Cons

There is so much change, I wouldn't be surprised if your quota changes by the next month. I've had to sign off on 3-4 compensation plans from what I was originally told when I first took the role, after they told me I had the potential to make 6 figures in that role (more like 65k max). Since I've been there there have been two instances when a group (15+) of individuals were let go simply due to the "structural change" of the company. These are people that took this job, moved from a different city, moved to a new apartment to merely be let go after 3 months because the company had bitten more than they could chew. My personal experience during training was an absolute disaster, everything we learned our first week we were told to scrap the following week. This has been the norm ever since, never able to sticking to one thing and always pushing that we're a "startup" company motto even though the company has been around for 10+ years. Your quota is based off two things 1. How many passes you send over to an Account Executive and 2. how much revenue an AE can close for you to determine you hitting your quota. This is absolutely absurd that your quota lands on someone else's hand controlling your fate, this is sales...for being in sales my entire adult career, I've never seen something like this losing all incentive with such a low commission payout. This place is a disaster, with really no future to motivate their employees.

Continue reading

"Run, run away as fast as you can"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Classy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great coworkers Young and energetic environment Office in a cool location Good parking

Cons

The micromanagement that occurs here is on another level. Real life examples: -Haven't made a call in 5 min? Get ready for a ping from your manager, "Why haven't you made a dial in 5 min?" -Running 1-3 min late for the first time ever? Get ready for a text from your manager, "We start at 7 am not 7:02." -Want to take an actual lunch break after a "lunch meeting?" "We paid for your lunch food so I expect you to come straight back to making dials afterwards." -Want to maybe customize an email to a customer and express ONE OUNCE OF CREATIVITY? "What are you doing we have these templates preloaded so you can fire off emails without having to change anything." -Think you know your quota for the month? Get ready for it to change again mid month, or you know, even after a couple hours no biggie. -Think that working a regular 8 hour week is in the cards for you? Hell no, you have to go home and keep prospecting so you can have people to call tomorrow, God forbid you do anything during work hours that doesn't involve making calls. -Think that if you just grind it out for a couple of months and do well it'll get better and you'll get promoted? Ha. Ha ha ha. -Worst of all, do you think you will get paid well for all of the pain and suffering you've endured? Ha. Ha ha haaaa. I could go on and on. The culture here was toxic and demoralizing. People quitting / getting fired left and right. I had previous sales experience before coming into this role and let me tell you, this is not how it should be. You cannot treat your employers like disposable dialing machines. Sorry not sorry this is so savage, I have PTSD from this place it was so ridiculous.

"Love this company"

5.0

I have been working at Classy full-time

Pros

Classy is a really special place to work. The mission permeates in a real way through the culture, they support true balance for employees, and there is so much growth and opportunity for people who want to drive a lot of change.

Cons

It's not a good place if you need a lot of predictability - it's a high growth company, which demands a lot of flexibility and adaptability to thrive. If you like that environment, it's great.

Found 186 reviews