Close Software Engineer Reviews

Found 7 of over 31 reviews

4.3
Close CEO Steli Efti
Steli Efti

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Team Awesome

Aug 2, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The best team I ever worked with: supportive, welcoming, fun. Remote work allows spending more time with family. Close really values long-term relationships with individuals and treats them with respect.

Cons

Remote work comes with a set of challenges. You have to take responsibility for your work day, for maintaining work/life balance etc (don't expect others to fix your day).

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0

Great team, great culture

Jun 24, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Culture, leadership genuinely cares about employees (and employees care about each other) - High level of autonomy, never been in a meeting I thought was pointless - Remote first culture, company has been remote (and got very good at it) way before Covid - Small team, so everyone has a big impact - Quality codebase, fun to work on, interesting technical problems - "Shape Up" project management methodology works very well

Cons

Really nothing significant, which is a huge pro by itself. Being nitpicky, it can be hard to step away and take vacation sometimes (although the time off allocation is very good) - this is possibly my own problem though!

Be the first to find this review helpful

4. 1.0

Racist Leadership

May 7, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Some nice coworkers - Remote work - The product is pretty good

Cons

I cannot hold my tongue any longer. During the yearly team retreats the founders say things about minorities that you wouldn’t believe if I wrote them out here. One of the founders moved to a remote part of the USA to, in his words, “preserve the racial purity of my family”. Another company leader talked about how he doesn't mind hiring a "cheap indian programming slave", but the leaders of the company must all remain white and of European descent. I have seen so many great minority candidates get passed over for someone less great who is white. It’s driving me crazy and I will quit working here soon. If you don’t believe it, take a look at their team photo. These people are white supremacists and you shouldn’t do business with them.

15 people found this review helpful

Close Response

This review is fake. At no time has anyone made statements like this at the company. This post was previously moderated and removed for false claims by Glassdoor. We have requested Glassdoor remove again and improve their verification & moderation processes in order to display high-quality, trusted reviews. If you would like to learn more about Close or hear first-hand from our team we would be happy to put you in touch with ANY team member so you can hear their unbiased thoughts during the hiring process.

5. 5.0

Solid Company, No Regrets Joining

Sep 30, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company culture is really great. There's a culture around transparency and no BS. No wasting time sitting in pointless meetings. If you think something needs to change, you're encouraged to say so. If you feel you need clarification on something (e.g. during a presentation), you're encouraged to ask. Decisions are data driven. Discussions are productive and focused on outcomes. The people I work will really are professionals and are fantastic to work with. There's nobody who could leave and I wouldn't care (and this definitely wasn't true in some previous places I've worked). I feel like I'm trusted and empowered to actually do the work that needs to be done. There's enough difficult problems that there's always something interesting to work on. I think I've literally used this phase when talking to some former colleagues: "Turns out sometimes the grass actually is greener."

Cons

None really to speak of. I feel comfortable having frank conversations about anything that comes up, and these usually turn into collaborative discussions about "how can we solve this problem?".

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Remote work culture done right

May 30, 2018 - Software Engineer in Prague
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong personalities. High-level multidisciplinary skillsets. Implicit trust. Enjoying live. Fundamental aspects of truly working remote culture, which are brought to yet another level right here, right now. Don't miss out.

Cons

In remote work you need to step up your game, have strong discipline and be self-motivated to do your best. But that's hardly a con.

Continue reading
    2 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Happiest 5 years of my professional life

Feb 12, 2018 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with the company for over 5 years and I'm still not looking for anything else! The product is very fun to work on and I'm often inspired by the amount of positive feedback we're receiving from our customers. However, the main "pro" for me is definitely the team. The leadership is by far the most competent and thoughtful from all the companies I've worked at. You can be sure that the person responsible for you a) knows your job very well, b) has high standards, c) cares about you. You can also be sure you'll be given a lot of trust and responsibility. This might be less apparent in the first month of so of your employment, but then picks up very quickly. Expect the product, the team, and your responsibilities to grow at a pace that's just at the edge of your comfort zone, which makes for an ever-challenging and very educational environment. I'm also very grateful for the fact that I can work from anywhere in the world. It takes discipline, but when done well, significantly expands your freedom. Lastly, team retreats are a blast!

Cons

Remote work might be a bit tough in the beginning if you're not used to it. I had to grow a lot of discipline around personal habits and communication in the early years. But, as I said above, once that's done, it's great.

10 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0

Team Awesome

Nov 21, 2017 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The best team I ever worked with: supportive, welcoming, fun. Company with a razor sharp focus.

3 people found this review helpful