Cloud Imperium Games Reviews

Updated 30 Apr 2021

3.5
Cloud Imperium Games Founder Chris Roberts (no image)
Chris Roberts
Pros
Cons
  • "High tempo development requiring long hours(in 6 reviews)

• "The international studios, the american(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

"Great experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmslow, England, England

I worked at Cloud Imperium Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Perfect place to works, a really good team

Cons

With a big studio like this (500+ employees) the communication it's sometimes hard between teams.

May 10, 2021

Thank you so much for your feedback! :) We are very excited that you are enjoying your time with us!

"Toxic and Aggressive"

1.0
    Former Employee - Producer in Wilmslow, England, England

I worked at Cloud Imperium Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Senior management's passion for the project.

Cons

The toxicity of the LA office. All management and teams in the LA office are out to undermine senior management and fight to keep their jobs/ status in the company. Sad to see this bullying and vulgar behaviour the rest of the industry has fought so hard to move away from.

May 10, 2021

Thank you for taking the time to review how we can improve as a company. We are sorry to hear your comments and we have provided your feedback to our HR department. We always strive to create a motivating work environment, so we’re sorry this was not your experience. Please do get in touch with us should you wish to discuss any of your feedback further.

3. COVID-19

"Star Citizen is just so big!"

Current Employee - Lead Producer in Wilmslow, England, England

I have been working at Cloud Imperium Games full-time

Pros

Working on what could be the most ambitious games ever. Friendly staff and management. Everyone *really* cares about making the best games possible. Lots of support during the lockdown (with great care packages).

Cons

Joining a company in lockdown is tough, and it is harder to build work relationships with COVID. Because of the nature of the products (nothing is anything other than hugely ambitious at CIG) the learning curve can be quite steep.

February 22, 2021

Thank you so much for your review! We strive to deliver undeniable quality in everything we do – including employee experience – so we appreciate you letting us know we’re doing good work, despite Covid-19 hiccups. We look forward to continuing to raise the bar for our teams! Please do reach out to your HR team should you need any further support.

"Aggressive and toxic - Avoid"

1.0
    Former Employee - Concept Artist in Wilmslow, England, England

I worked at Cloud Imperium Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

There aren't any. If I could take back the time spent there I would.

Cons

Unprofessional and toxic environment. Really amature management. Art Directors and higher ups are friends of CEO rather than best people for the job and it shows in the low-quality game. They're too inexperienced for their positions which results in massive crunch and overtime at the artists' expense. They can't recruit and retain enough people because the project has a poor public perception, the wages are very low and everyone wants to leave due to the toxic workplace. Spent all of their budget hiring expensive hollywood actors instead of investing in the project/workforce. Trust me, go anywhere else!

February 22, 2021

Thank you for taking the time to review how we can improve as a company. We take your comments seriously and have provided your feedback to our HR department. We always strive to create a motivating work environment, so we’re sorry this was not your experience. Thanks for providing feedback on how we can fix it.

5. COVID-19

"Great peers and cool project, but quite poorly managed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmslow, England, England

I have been working at Cloud Imperium Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Amazing co-workers at my level, in my experience. Cannot emphasise this enough. - In my team there was a lot of sense of ownership over your work. This was pretty amazing. - Incredible stepping stone onto bigger opportunities if this is your first role in the industry. You can do things here that are future interview gold. - Big achievements on the company-level are celebrated really well. (CitizenCon is a blast as a dev) - There are some great leads/director level staff, others are toxic (see cons) - Decent office. - Excellent handling of the COVID work-from-home transition. - Flexitime is great and actually very very flexible. - Young, independent company trying to forge itself to be its own vision of what a game-dev should be (this is a pro and a con). - The company does have big dreams and I think they will achieve them, eventually. - Star Citizen has a growing fanbase. - The technical achievements being made here really are noteworthy. - At least in my experience, the QA team is respected by the development team. - They did recently make changes to overtime policy that means you are compensated in holiday for 'mandatory' overtime if it is midweek. This was not always the case. - It is nice to see your work out there in the world so quickly. - Tools are improving at a decent pace.

Cons

- Feels like it is slowly exhausting the faith its community has put in it. - Upper management causes confusion far more often than they inspire. - Lots of people doing same job being paid hugely differently. - Unless you fight tooth and nail for it, salary is poor compared to competitors. They also seem to underestimate the cost of living in Wilmslow/Manchester City Centre and give this as an excuse. Unless you want a nightmare commute you kinda have to live in these areas. - Depending on your team you will do stupid amounts of overtime. - Sometimes promoting people from within A LONG TIME before people are ready for leadership roles. This creates toxic team leads on power trips, who have no leadership or mentorship skills to teach and inspire those they are 'leading'. - Onboarding and relocation experience, particularly for international hires, seems dismal compared to competitors. - Everyone (even most of the other executives) are terrified of offending the CEO. - The CEO changes the entire schedule at a whim. You will be working on something and putting so much effort into it, only for it to be shifted a year down the line, fundamentally changed or outright cancelled randomly and with little explanation. - Senior people are stuck in meetings all day even if they don't really need to be there. This makes them unavailable for their teams. - No attempt is made to ensure that senior/lead level staff are still actively practicing their craft. Some leads are hopeless with the tools and jaded themselves from being so creatively neglected. - Being quite severely outgunned on the non-monetary benefits by competitors. - Communication between European and US studios can be difficult. - Few female team members. Diversity in general seems to be an issue. - Yearly bonus has been fairly meagre. - Sometimes unclear progression plans, although this is being worked on. - Current office location is a bit strange.

February 22, 2021

Thank you so much for your honest feedback! We take your comments seriously and will be reviewing how we can make internal improvements to better serve our staff and the project. We always strive to create a motivating work environment, and we’re sorry this was not your experience. Thanks for providing feedback on how we can fix it.

6. COVID-19

"Do you like to be bullied? Treated like garbage? Blamed for others mistakes?"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Wilmslow, England, England

I worked at Cloud Imperium Games full-time

Pros

Free hot drinks and snacks, own barista Some of the people there can be great, made some great friends from there

Cons

I was at Cloud Imperium games for just over a year and left within the pandemic because I just simply couldn't hack the disorganization of this studio. During my time there nothing seemed to be right or good enough. Senior Leads are so up their own backside I'm suprised their heads haven't resurfaced from their mouth. They also pretty much do what they want with no consequences. HR department is an utter joke and haven't got a clue what they are doing and they could get away with it too considering their lead was off on maternity for the majority of my time. The international studios, the american studios in particular, as so disorganised and disfunctional I'm suprised they know to get dressed in the morning. They always seem to think everything should be done asap despite scheduling it a day prior, meaning you have to drop everything for them! I witnessed various departments suffer the consquences of this disorganisation countless times, some departments guilt tripped into serious overtime some hours going into the early hours of the morning, particularly around patches. I've heard stories of the CEO Chris Roberts attending meetings and falling asleep or just scoffing his face with pastry, man has lost all passion for the project, just a bank for him now and is totally full of himself. Overall this studio is run by a bunch of clowns and Star Citizen will never be complete because of it, they are milking it for what it is worth everyday.

Continue reading

"Toxic mental health environment and lacking professionalism"

2.0
    Current Employee - Games Designer

I have been working at Cloud Imperium Games full-time

Pros

Has potential to be the coolest game ever made

Cons

Inexperienced hires Lack of direction from upper management Excellent at saying a whole lot, without saying anything Lack of responsibility Finger pointing Poor salary when taking into account 40 hour work week

February 22, 2021

Thank you for taking the time to review how we can improve as a company. We take your comments seriously and have provided your feedback to our HR department. We always strive to create a motivating work environment, so we’re sorry this was not your experience. Thanks for providing feedback on how we can fix it, and please do reach out to HR should you have any further concerns.

8. "Good"

Current Employee - QA Tester II in Wilmslow, England, England

I have been working at Cloud Imperium Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of benefits, flexible hours

Cons

Scope of game can be overwhelming at times

February 22, 2021

Thank you so much for your review and we’re so glad you’re enjoying your time at Cloud Imperium Games! We take pride in keeping our benefits competitive and our staff happy. From great health benefits to free snacks, CIG is constantly working to be the best video game company in the world!

"80% a great place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Associate Producer in Wilmslow, England, England

I have been working at Cloud Imperium Games full-time

Pros

Good growth of company Good personal/ career development Flexible hours/ management

Cons

Game is so huge, organisation and planning can be difficult Communication between departments and management can sometimes be lackluster

Continue reading

"I am happy with my time at CIG."

4.0
    Former Employee - Programmer in Wilmslow, England, England

I worked at Cloud Imperium Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have few specifics of why I think it was good, but I look back at it as an, all in all, pleasant experience. I feel there was a fair amount of freedom and trust, micro managing was absolutely non existing, humble and helpful producers, easy going IT-support, awesome peers and level headed managers.

Cons

My number one gripe is how inefficient I felt trying to figure out what was happening where in the engine. It felt like a massive waste of time trying to piece together a map of the engine architecture when there must be people there who could teach me the big picture of what and where things happened in a frame. I had no confidence working when it felt I was looking though a pin hole. Eventually I got to spend time with a wonderful mentor, after which it was a whole new ball game. Also, the air conditioning suck.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 66 Reviews