Cloud Imperium Games Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2022

Found 94 of over 99 reviews

2.9
Cloud Imperium Games Founder Chris Roberts (no image)
Chris Roberts
Pros
  • "Free snacks and alot of free time(in 6 reviews)

• "Very little overtime and 'crunch'(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Communication between European and US studios can be difficult(in 7 reviews)

• "Upper management is a bit chaotic, and very little upward momentum(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great work environment with Great people

Aug 26, 2021 - Junior QA Tester in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Career development is extremely present, friendly and approachable people across all departments, fresh tasking that doesn't always feel repetitive. Great company benefits.

Cons

Some tasking can be repetitive but that is in the minority. Slightly low salary for the living in the centre of Manchester.

Cloud Imperium Games Response

Thank you so much for your review and your comments! We are extremely happy you are enjoying your time with CIG!

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Decent

May 16, 2022 - 3D Artist in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cool project, lots of scope

Cons

The three-month release cycle can be demanding

2 people found this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Generally a good company, but some issues

May 9, 2022 - Software Engineer in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The immediate team is fantastic. - Challenging work. - Currently good remote policy with flex-time and core hours between 10:00a.m. and 15:00p.m. - Very good holiday policy. Christmas closure, bank holidays in the UK, and also we have globally aligned 'Citizen holidays', so we get U.S. and some EU based holidays off too. - Fairly good career development. You'll get promoted if you're working effectively, though perhaps promotions are handed out a little too easily. - No crunch really, though we do get asked to do overtime, you can say no. - Pay is not too terrible if you push for it, and everyone was given an extra £1500 a year to help with the UKs rising energy costs. - I have nothing bad to say about Chris Roberts, unlike others. I find it inspiring that he still contributes and has the programming knowledge and skills to do things on the game. I would still say that he should trust his developers a little more, not everyone is a mastermind.

Cons

- Office hours are 9:00a.m. to 18:00p.m. which is very long for the UK. Break is un-paid, and as far as I know, you can't work during lunch and finish a little earlier. - The future return to work policy is short-sighted. We can work from the office, and have some days we can 'book off' to work from home, though we have no equipment at home, so there is likely no work that can actually be done from a home environment. - We have no policy on learning materials like some other companies, so if you want a book, or something then it's coming out of your own money. This is very unlike other companies, such as Sumo, Activision, Unity whom all have a learning and development policy. - The overtime policy is garbage. If you give away your weekend, you get time-off in lieu. So you're trading valuable weekend time with the family, for a substitute day. To entice people more they should change this give you 1.5x the time you commit back, rather than a 1-1 trade. - We have some directors saying that the work doesn't look good enough, even though it had previously been signed-off on. Seems counter-productive to sign something off, and then a month later say you've changed your mind. - The bonus was £500 this year which was abysmal. - Too many meetings. Bigger companies are getting by without the constant video updates daily. - No gifts. I see people on social media getting gifts including clothing, and merchandise all the time, but I've personally had none of this. The only gift I've received throughout my time here is a £25 Amazon voucher. This isn't a big deal, but when other people are getting things that other members of the company aren't, then there is an issue. - The yearly Christmas quiz is ridiculous. The same team wins year after year, and there are a selection of prizes, so they always get the top prize. Again, not a big deal, but this speaks volumes about the culture at CIG. To put it into perspective, this team is comprised of long-standing members of CIG, and friends of the directors. - I feel like I don't know anyone. I feel like I'm working on a factory-line sometimes, where I have only contact with a few people around me, and there is no push or motivation to get people together ( even close team members don't really get the opportunity to meet ). - Relocation policy is trash, £500 to relocate within the UK cause extreme stress during relocation. - Calm app was given to the company. I have no idea how much this cost and if it's even worth complaining about, but there are better things to spend money on.

4 people found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

This job killed my motivation to program for 3 months

May 10, 2022 - Junior Programmer in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

OK pay for junior/graduate position

Cons

An awful lead who was admittedly one of the best programmers I've met but was constantly rude, shouted at team members, and borderline verbally abusive. Look I get it, the team I was on was under an insane amount of pressure, but I fail to understand why I was hired knowing I had just come out of University with no prior experience in commercial C++ programming. The support structure sucked and unfortunately it took half a day to receive help if I was stuck on something. It got to a point where I dreaded going to work and making a mistake, for fear of being berated with sarcastic, rude, and frankly oppressive comments. The straw that broke the camel's back was being taken into a call because I was taking too long to fix a bug and he unprofessionally shouted and swore at me for not completing it quickly. What really was the kick in the face was him complaining to me he doesn't get to spend time with his family because he constantly works weekends and 10-hour days. I really appreciated being felt like I was the reason an incompetent boss couldn't manage his own time where he projected his frustrations on a new starter. Funnily enough due to my lead's behavior and the precedent he set within the team, it became a cyclical problem where I felt too anxious to ask for help because responses took too long as everyone was busy, and essentially I was banging my head against a wall for hours on end. This job sucked and took every single bit of happiness away from programming, and wish no one has to go through that hell hole. Stepping on eggshells around anyone is tiring. P.S. I hope he gets to spend time with his family now!

10 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Okay, but sometimes could be better organised

Mar 23, 2022 - Programmer in Wilmslow, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting project to be working on

Cons

Controversy around the games funding. I struggle with its business model

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good company to work for

Dec 23, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good working atmosphere, lots of company events

Cons

The pay is often less than other places Often crunching for releases

7. 3.0
      Current Employee

Mixed

Dec 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Wilmslow, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Good salary / bonuses -Good line management at the leads level -No overtime or crunch (sometimes you may be asked to work weekends for TOIL but this is entirely voluntary) -Some very strong MVP devs which you can learn a lot from -Good opportunities for career progression, if you work hard and well it will be rewarded -Company seems stable financially -They are renovating offices to a high standard -Good benefits (especially holidays) -Very challenging and ambitious project with cutting edge technology

Cons

-Production practices and quarterly release cycle make it very difficult to actually develop the game -Workflows and toolchain are horrible, you get bogged down in stream management for hours each day; tools are slow and are not scaling well with the project -Build stability is terrible, new crashes and bugs every day which makes it very hard to be productive -Director-level leadership and communcation is not strong, and the project is so large, leading to inconsistent design direction and poor transparency with other teams. Some features are on their second or third iteration because the design direction changed -The engine / core-tech is constantly being updated, which breaks existing features all the time -Not enough remote working offered -Some employees aren't productive enough -HR often slow to respond

6 people found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

HR is a Steaming MESS !!!

Dec 4, 2021 - Senior Talent Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

*The Development teams at CIG are great, very experienced and know what they are doing * The Game is very ambitious but the team are slowly achieving the impossible

Cons

* HR is a steaming Mess in the UK. Full of politics and inexperience, same for the US side. German HR is much better. They need a complete restructure of UK and US HR. * Too much politics within the Studios and developers are too restricted * Chris Roberts has Way too much control over everything which is signed off, he does not seem to trust his development teams to just make good decisions, which they are totally capable of doing. EASE OFF CHRIS !!

8 people found this review helpful

Cloud Imperium Games Response

Thank you so much for your review, and we are very sad to hear about some of your comments. We have noted them, and we would love to investigate them further. However, we are aware that the job tittle you stated in your review may not reflect your role within CIG, therefore we would appreciate if you could either update it, or reach out to us directly so we could investigate accordingly. Thank you so much.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent work and great working environment

Nov 4, 2021 - Environment Artist in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great working environment Office is a pleasant place to be Flexi hours Excellent standard of work Stunning game that is also very fun to work on Lower level leadership is excellent

Cons

Low/None competitive pay Low levels of tech support in all areas of art making the job harder and more time consuming. Game decisions for huge U turns in direction is made seemingly overnight at times. Deadlines pop up out of nowhere reasonably often. This can be just a couple of weeks prior to the deadline. Work/life balance is pretty poor with a basically mandatory overtime that is expected from most people to achieve the results expected. No compensation for the overtime above.

4 people found this review helpful

Cloud Imperium Games Response

Thank you so much for your review. We are very happy you are enjoying your time at CIG. We are also aware of some of the cons you have mentioned and are working hard to make CIG the best place for our staff.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Sep 14, 2021 - Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people, the environment and the project

Cons

At times very stressful and fast paced

Cloud Imperium Games Response

Thank you for your comments! We are very excited you enjoyed your time with CIG!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 94 Reviews

Cloud Imperium Games Reviews FAQs

Cloud Imperium Games has an overall rating of 2.9 out of 5, based on over 99 reviews left anonymously by employees. 51% of employees would recommend working at Cloud Imperium Games to a friend and 43% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -21% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Cloud Imperium Games employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Cloud Imperium Games. This rating has decreased by -14% over the last 12 months.

51% of Cloud Imperium Games employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Cloud Imperium Games 3.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.1 for culture and values and 3.4 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with Cloud Imperium Games Job Seekers