Cloudera Reviews

Updated 4 Jul 2020

3.5
Cloudera President and Chief Executive Officer Rob Bearden
Rob Bearden
Pros
  • "Has a GREAT reputation in the Big Data world(in 27 reviews)

• "Cloudera has super smart people at the individual contributor and first line management levels(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "As with all start-ups that go IPO, there are some growing pains and there is a need to roll up sleeves(in 30 reviews)

• "Too much work, work life balance not very well(in 25 reviews)

1. "Positive"

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Cloudera full-time

Pros

Lots of learning, good team,

Cons

Work life sometimes gets tough but expected in tech

2. "Manager"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Cloudera full-time

Pros

Innovative, open source big data company

Cons

Inconsistent treatment of employees, lack of transparency from senior management

"Legacy Company - big shame, Hortonworks "merger" wrecked Big Data industry sentiment, people are fleeing to cloud"

2.0
    Former Employee - Architect
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Cloudera full-time

Pros

- smart engineers but poor management / leadership - Hortonworks used to have a good open source reputation but that hasn't carried over to Cloudera post-merger (people don't trust Cloudera on open source as they'd insisted on a semi-proprietary strategy for 10 years)

Cons

- Cloudera is dead, everyone I've talked to is migrating off it - everyone I've talked to hates Cloudera's account management attitude, inflexibility and very high licensing costs (we're paying almost as much as for SAS and Teradata sigh - also legacy vendors) - Hortonworks exit from the market via "merger" in to Cloudera has caused a collapse in user and market confidence - as evidenced by a big drop in the share price in mid 2019 and sudden departure of CEO Tom Riley (I always thought of him as the 80s wall street guy from the Futurama episode Futurestock - if you haven't seen it, you will recognize a lot of the Big Data hype) - cloud is easier, more flexible and more mature - cloud is cheaper - cloud may be the new proprietary, but given Cloudera's licensing costs if you're gonna pay you may as well pay less - people are sick of this outdated technology - eg. multiple half-baked SQL-on-Hadoop frameworks and HDFS sucks - nobody seems to want to use that stuff any more for new implementations - many guys I know got burnt out at Hortonworks and Cloudera - poor work-life balance (it's hard to learn and make this technology work) - they've run out of time - the platform has been maturing and innovating much too slowly compared to cloud because there isn't enough money in the Big Data industry, and political mistakes fractured the open source community and wasted the valuable pool of engineering talent on multiple redundant components for many years - to make matters worse the Cloud vendors are stealing open source and then fixing it up, undercutting all the open source / open-core companies like Cloudera, Confluent, Elastic.co etc. It feels like Open Source vendors have no future - you would get paid more outside the company - the "privilege" of working for these silicon valley startups is apparently worth earning less (hard to tell that to the bank when you need a high mortgage though) - many guys in knew California can't afford property in the same town as they work - they are essentially "working poor" (don't move to California)

Continue reading
  4. "As an employee who started in the post merger world I find it an exciting & invigorating place to work"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for less than a year

Pros

Talented and motivated colleagues Not micromanaged and are treated with respect Very flexible work conditions Small enough company that what you do can have a big impact Great fun place to work!

Cons

Typical post merger niggles, however it’s still early days of the merger and for me, the overall the benefits outweigh this.

"Plateaued"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Cloudera full-time

Pros

Great teammates and resources at the company

Cons

Not a lot in terms of growth. Very easy to plateau and not have other opportunities within the company.

"Don't join for at least 1 year if they are still around"

1.0
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in London, England

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for more than a year

Pros

Had good people but they have all left just legacy Cloudera old school surviving in the boys club Management only look after themselves but at least it's obvious

Cons

Executive Management live in a bubble, and not focused on the customer just look after themselves CDP Product is currently vaporware - Cloud Vendors are doing it better faster and cheaper Sales isn't a focus and customer success is bottom of the list Everything is about the merger and processes are broken

"Freedom to excel"

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can pick your speciality and excel if you want to, without sacrificing your life to make the time. Excellent internal communication tools, plenty of help technically at a moment's notice. Good executive engagement, focus on customer and community relationships through the company stack from engineering to support.

Cons

The sales team is too quarterly driven in most cases, and tight budgets while chasing profitability over the past few years have led to engineering underinvestment prior to the merger - fortunately both of these are being addressed.

"Account Director"

Current Employee - Senior Account Director in London, England

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The impact of our technology on enterprises and business success

Cons

Based on 3+ years, it hard to name any other than the need for training is critical

"Outstanding Employer"

Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for less than a year

Pros

Genuine empowerment of employees, be prepared to use your initiative, take control and run your own business franchise.

Cons

The pace is breathtaking, time management and prioritisation tough - everyone wants to talk to Cloudera!

"Love it!"

Current Employee - Business Alliance Manager in London, England

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for less than a year

Pros

Your own franchise they promised me, and that is exactly how it feels; awesome! Great management that coaches instead of controls, smart and experienced colleagues, good money, great market segment.

Cons

If you're lazy this is not the right place; high pace

Found 402 reviews