Cloudera Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.7
Cloudera Chief Executive Officer Tom Reilly
Tom Reilly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good room for work/life balance" (in 19 reviews)

• "Smart people lead to happy customers too, and the roster of customer successes is impressive" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "work/life balance, none other than that" (in 23 reviews)

• "There are always going to be growing pains with hyper-growth companies, like figuring out where to put everyone" (in 30 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Never seen an opportunity this big"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tom Reilly is genuinely a nice person And is passionate about culture and transparency. Scott Aronson loves salespeople. They both love customers. Our R&D team created an industry and are still disrupting the dinosaurs of database while integrating with the cloud providers like AWS, Azure, and Google.

Our Enterprise Data Cloud seamlessly integrates on-prem and cloud based data and applications from the edge of IOT to AI and data science. This is what every company that wants to remain relevant and cost competitive is trying to do right now and we have the platform to get them there.

Something like 90% of the global 2000 are on our platform and those platforms are starting to grow like crazy.

The best part is we earn the right to bill our customers. Open source is such a purely mutual value driven business model.

The west region offices are beautiful and easy to get to for work and meetings.

Cons

I honestly have no cons. And No, management did not ask for this review to be written. (Its so obvious on other reviews).

Advice to Management

Continue to build the partner/customer business model and service offerings. Cloud is blurring the lines between a customer and a go to market partner.

"Account Director"

Current Employee - Senior Account Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Account Director in London, England

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The impact of our technology on enterprises and business success

Cons

Based on 3+ years, it hard to name any other than the need for training is critical

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

"Outstanding Employer"

Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Genuine empowerment of employees, be prepared to use your initiative, take control and run your own business franchise.

Cons

The pace is breathtaking, time management and prioritisation tough - everyone wants to talk to Cloudera!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work - the Exec team here is one of the best in the industry. Take care not to lose the culture, pace and agility as the rapid growth continues. Keep making smart acquisitions and integrate and monetise quickly.

"Love it!"

Current Employee - Business Alliance Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Business Alliance Manager in London, England

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your own franchise they promised me, and that is exactly how it feels; awesome! Great management that coaches instead of controls, smart and experienced colleagues, good money, great market segment.

Cons

If you're lazy this is not the right place; high pace

"High quality company"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cloudera feels like a high quality company. They don't cut corners, they invest in the right places, the management team is experienced. It's also a friendly culture full of smart people.

Cons

The hours can be long and unpredictable.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating.

6. "First impressions"

I have been working at Cloudera full-time

Pros

Open, collaborative working environment. Empowering leadership style. Trusting environment. Friendly, welcoming and supportive atmosphere.

Cons

Still maturing process's and organisation to match customer expectation of the strategic significance the product has.

"Dynamic company, exciting opportunity, very fast expansion."

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company, rapid growth, dynamic environment, great people. In depth training programme.

Cons

Growing quickly and experiencing some pains through the expansion.

8. "A truly great place to work with once in a lifetime opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

Pros

Great compensation - base salaries are strong with share options and bonuses on top, decent benefits (pension, health care), and competitive annual leave.

Amazing company culture lots of really helpful, smart (super smart people), smartest people I've worked with.
    People are fun to work with, hardworking and really know their onions. Its by far the best place I've worked in my career, I love the company and my role The company moves along at a bristling pace even for a tech company. The technology is truly leading edge
    Executive leadership team are awesome, friendly approachable, fun and set the high bar for the rest of the company.

Cons

Working at Cloudera is demanding, be prepared for intense days, weeks and long hours, work life balance is a bit out but is a part of a company that is growing fast.
    Initial training is good though not enough opportunity to train once you're stuck into your role.
    Some of the tenured employees who've become managers perhaps shouldn't have, lack the experience and people skills to manage.

A bit US focused - though its getting better as regions grow and become more independent

Advice to Management

Watch out for creeping bureaucracy, processes get added ad hoc (or as a reaction) with some times little questioning of the value of the process in the long term.

Work on diversity of all stripes, it will make it even better to work here.

Be careful with sub-cultures and cliques, these have started to form, cut them off.

Maintain the founders no a*** hole hiring policy, its worked well and maintained a great working culture.

Keep leading as you do, innovating and making Cloudera the rising star we all believe it will be.

"The most exciting company in the hottest sector of technology"

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cloudera hires really well, the team are the best and brightest, people are passionate about the company and the technology, and there is a "can do" attitude. There's an excitement but also a humility. The organisation structure is flat and there's a strong team culture across all the functions. The business is taking off with strong demand for our products across EMEA and in almost every industry vertical.

Cons

The company is growing fast and so the hours can be demanding, and in some roles the travel requirements are high.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in EMEA, the opportunity here is enormous. Find a balance between support from HQ and autonomy.

"Chance of a lifetime"

Current Employee - Sales in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well over a year and I'm still loving it.

Relentless Innovation
    Focus on customer success
    Strength and ability of your entire team
    Knowing we're making something big
    Clear objectives and vision
    Fun

Cons

The art of the possible moves all the time.
    Keeping up with the pace of innovation
    Market education
    Interesting dynamic between free & paid versions.

Advice to Management

All systems go!