Cloudreach Devops Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Sep 3, 2019

3.4
Cloudreach CEO Aaron M. Painter
Aaron M. Painter

"A genuinely good place to work"

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent Pay, Unrivalled Work Culture, Perks including eating out Fridays, Working From Home, Bonuses and uncapped holiday allowance. Exciting tech driven work, in a market leader.

Cons

Going through severe growth, so business is adapting as it's outgrown being a startup

Cloudreach2019-07-05

"Great People, Average company"

Former Employee - Devops Engineer

I worked at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited holiday, snacks, free food Fridays, new starter pizza, certification training and exams paid for, some very lovely colleagues

Cons

Consistently attribute any problem to growing pains of a start up to established business - used way too often, and is an excuse IMO Constantly changing priorities/focus for company direction. I never knew what the strategy was Longer working hours Don't pay close to market rate, and happy for you to go elsewhere instead of retaining talent by increasing your earnings Revolving door of colleagues Limited opportunity... for progression Probation review was a joke, just get friendly with a couple of people over 6 months and ask them to provide your feedback

Advice to Management

As I have read on most responses to Glassdoor reviews over the last six months or so, and nearly all Comms from within the company. Every problem is attributed to growing pains. Stop using this as a catch all sound bite to most business problems. Retention of colleagues was a serious concern for me, within 9 months I became one of the "old guard" in my team, due to so many people moving on (externally and some... internally), that it was a clear sign to me that I should not stick around. I have met some great colleagues here, and really enjoyed working with them. Try and hang onto them!

Cloudreach2019-08-30

"Wasted Potential"

Former Employee - Devops Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is made by the attitude and values of its engineers on the frontlines, supporting the customers, and building the software.

Cons

All levels of management in all verticals of the business seem to have their own view of the long term strategy. As such, the business doesn't pull as one. A company with great ideas and exactly the right people to execute them ends up sub-par across the board. In addition, the selection process for middle-management roles appears flawed. Some hires shy away from their workload and rarely contribute, others swing... their opinions like a battle axe and cause real damage both internally and externally, and the vast majority are simply ineffective.

Advice to Management

Go back to the drawing board and realise what made Cloudreach so excellent: the people. You once had hundreds of engineers who were passionate about changing the world - strong opinions, good cultural values, and so much more that the customers would soak up. That is the differentiating factor between Cloudreach and its competitors but your middle/senior management layers are destroying it.

Cloudreach2019-08-22

"Cloudy Culture"

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic people, awesome benefits and huge growth

Cons

I challenge you to find any cons at Cloudreach

Cloudreach2017-07-23

"cloudreach is cool !!!!"

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for less than a year

Pros

One of the best company I've worked for ! Everyone is always availabe to help, learning is made easy.

Cons

nothing to report, really.

Advice to Management

keep it the way it is !

Cloudreach2016-12-07

"Awesome"

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

Customers, technology and culture all tie up into one great package. From the quarterlies in fun locations, to the advanced technology we work with day to day for some of the largest organisations, working here is an exciting challenge and experience!

Cons

Nothing I think worth highlighting as a con. With an ever changing business, there is bound to be things that will annoy people but they are vastly outweighed by the pros

Cloudreach2016-04-06

"Keeping It Cloudy - DevOps Style"

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at Cloudreach is a very enjoyable and fun experience where your technical mindset is always satisfied and challenged providing a wide variety of experience on the latest technologically advancements. Cloudreach is always one step ahead in the market and new technology is always tried and tested in our lab environments. We also have a wide range of technical Gurus where we can come together and ask the... experts for advice. Customer service is also a key element where training is provided to help grow amazing customer relationships which makes incidents and problems a lot easier to deal with and gives it a friendly experience even in the most complex situations. Cloudreach also has a great social aspect where social events are arranged regularly (Bowling, Paint balling, Go Karting and who can forget going to Mallorca and Amsterdam!). We also purchased a paddling pool in the Edinburgh office to soak up the sun and chill with a beer. James and Pontus have nailed the company community perfectly and I couldn't wish to be anywhere else! Bring on 2020!!

Cons

There is no BrewDog in the beer fridge. However recently Peroni has been added to the selection.

Advice to Management

Our Cloud Leaders have improved as of recent but it would be nice to have 1 or 2 more technical Cloud Leaders with experience and not just reliant on Chris W's knowledge.

Cloudreach2015-09-19

"Fun place to work that definitely "makes it happen""

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to be hands on with all manner of interesting technology and work alongside friendly people who really know their stuff. The management are as engaged and enthusiastic about making Cloudreach the best place to work they can as everyone else in the company, and do their best to help you create and realise opportunities to advance your career - for example, Cloudreach is helping me move half way around the... world by sponsoring my visa and covering the moving costs, as well as obviously having a job waiting for me at the other end (massive thanks to some management and People Ops rockstars for making it happen!). There's a lot of cool perks too, from the weekly Cloudy Lunch (taking over a restaurant every Friday on the company tab), to beer in the fridge, to the quarterlies where we all get to have some fun - especially the kickoff where the entire company flies somewhere sunny for a long weekend together!

Cons

The pay is lower than at some other companies, somewhat mitigated by perks and certainly still well above minimum wage. There's a bit of a lack of formal documentation in some areas and no "single source of truth", though efforts are being made to improve on that.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - Cloudreach is a fantastic place to work. Otherwise, try and come to Cloudy Lunch more often ;)

Cloudreach2015-09-25

"Great company, if you are on the fence just Join you will love it"

Current Employee - Devops Engineer

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is amazing here

Cons

A lot of time between engagements

Advice to Management

They know.....

Cloudreach2019-09-04

"A great company to work for!"

Former Employee - Devops Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Cloudreach full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cloudreach is really amazing company. I was part of CR for 3 years and it was by far the best company I worked for. I learned so much during the 3 years and it prepared me very well for my next career challenges! Some of the best pros I would like to mention: - The people - everyone is very friendly, smart, helpful, positive. Really great people and you will enjoy working with the team - Quarterly meetings - 2... smaller local events (But still great ones) and 2 of the quarterlies usually involves flying to secret location (Barcelona, Mallorca, Lisabon, Boston, Chicago, Whistler, Harrison hot springs - just to name the ones during my stay here) - Uncapped vacation - how cool is that, you can take as much days off as you want (But not take a year off obviously:) - Great office locations - always in the city centre of big cities like Vancouver, New York, London, Chicago, Edinburgh, Dallas, Munich, Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris to name the main ones. Also lots of opportunities to visit other offices, or even relocate if that's what you wish for (Many many people have relocated to their dream city thanks to working in Cloudreach) - The offices are cool, they all look pretty, modern, with things like pool table, foosball, beanbags etc. Also lots of beer, snacks, lunching out every Friday. You will get nice Mac, 2 big screens, nice phone (choose pixel or iphone in Vancouver) - Career opportunities - it really is up to you how would you like to shape your career. I worked at 3 different positions during the 3 years and all you need to do is to show interest and prove you got what it takes to take the new position. Many people are also switching between departments and relocating to different cities if that's their career goal. You will have your line manager who will do their best to help you to progress your career the way you want to. - The management - everyone is very friendly and very open, including the management. James and Pontus started this company and have done amazing job growing it. They are as transparent as they can, they are not shy to share the revenue numbers and growth plans. There are regular meetings focused on such a updates. - The growth - Blackstone recently invested their money in Cloudreach and one of the goal of this investment is a massive growth of CR - more offices, more people. This also means more career opportunities for the employees and more options for relocation if that's something you are interested in - No overtime is expected or required - great work life balance. If you want to be top engineer, you may need to spend some time outside of work studying for certifications or improving your skills in certain technologies, but that's not expected, it's your choice.

Cons

- The ops team supports many many customers who are using many different technologies and build various applications - this may be overwhelming for some people and you should be ready to learn a lot and grasp new things quickly.

Advice to Management

You are doing great work to keep Cloudreach amazing place to work for. Try to keep the culture as it is right now despite the big growth.

Cloudreach2017-05-31