Cloudreach Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cloudreach Founders Pontus Noren & James Monico
Pontus Noren & James Monico

Pros
  • Work-life balance as full time working mum is something I'm in control of here (in 10 reviews)

• People at Cloudreach really do live the "Cloudy Values" every day, and are easy to work with (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Because the company is growing (but is still small) its benefits packages are lacking compared to what is in the industry today (in 11 reviews)

• Some very small growing pains as the company expands (in 9 reviews)

"[Not a robot] - My time in Cloudreach was Invaluable"

Former Employee - Operations in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Operations in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Cloudreach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All of what you hear are the good parts of Cloudreah are 100% true. Also, for context I worked within Cloud Operations for almost 3 years. I have learned, traveled and experienced so much over my time in employment and I certainly would not hesitate it as a new place to work for anyone looking to shift into Cloud technologies.

There are parts for improvement, which I will mention in a moment, however, ultimately: the people are great to work with, the customers are great to work with, the workload is varied and changing regularly (you will be hard placed to find one day that is the same as the next - depending on your role) and the offices are well looked after and open plan (with plenty of free things if you are looking for that, coffee + misc drinks, snacks, continental breakfast assortments etc).

If your are looking to confirm whether what the recruitment team tells you about is true or not, it is definitely is, and then some.

However, in addition, the values you are indoctrinated with do certainly ring true also, they are definitely not brought up at. every. freaking. opportunity for no good reason. You can feel things like approachability and respect from almost everyone you meet (irrespective of the region you work in!) - that said, Edinburgh is the best office to be in (no subjectivism what so ever...)

Cons

I would bare in mind at this point that the highs out weigh the lows, and there are a few lows. However, I would say also that even when I was leaving, the lows that I had to report back appear to all have a plan in place for improving them already (the company is able to adapt quickly to problems it or others identify and report).

So, with that in mind:

- Certain teams need to expand, in terms of business justification, I am sure said teams would be able to present a fair amount of justification per function for such an increase.

- The HR team are much better than when I started almost 3 years ago, and based on my exit interview it does seem as though things will be quickly improving from new roles, initiatives that have been implemented etc. However, until such changes are implemented, I would say the previous HR points raised within other reviews 'did ring true' through my earlier life in Cloudreach.

- Business strategy and initiatives can change fast and often, this can be seen in a good or bad light as clearly, with Cloudreach's success, this agile approach to strategy is working. However, it can be a bit disconcerting from quarter to quarter.

All of that said, I would still also highlight that, although I cannot comment on the future. As Cloudreach have now been acquired by Blackstone. There is certainly an opportunity to iron out any of my points or the points raised in previous reviews quickly and with much greater momentum.

Advice to Management

Stay the corse you are on as it is working! However, in doing so, although ticking off multiple small quick wins is great for business updates, I would say more of a focus on the bigger wins would go a massive way across multiple teams or function.

2. "cloudreach is cool !!!!"

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best company I've worked for !
    Everyone is always availabe to help, learning is made easy.

Cons

nothing to report, really.

Advice to Management

keep it the way it is !

"Cloudreach"

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time

Pros

Every Friday cloudy lunches in a restaurant close by the office.
    Uncapped holidays are true (although not sure how long this will continue to be for).

Cons

When they advertise new MacBooks, do not expect brand new ones fresh from a box. MacBooks tend to be used ones and may be second or third hand.
    Salary is relatively low compared to other companies in Edinburgh.
    With all the bonuses they promise to give out, you would be surprised to hear if people actually receive one throughout the year.
    Extremely similar to call centre work (service desk), be prepared as job description does not reveal a lot.

Advice to Management

Enforce actions which are promised.

5. "Losing its cloudiness"

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time

Pros

The people are awesome and the development opportunities are great as you work on some big project very quickly.

Cons

The politics and the typically enterprise feeling. The benefits of the company are great, but they don't apply most the time if your working on-site.

Advice to Management

Make the internal systems less enterprise-sy. Its feels impersonal, ridged and uncloudy. Improve your communication with staff, be willing to take constructive criticism and acknowledge wrong doings.

6. "Everything I had hoped it would be, and more!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Cloudreach (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the biggest positives for me is coming into work every day to an atmosphere where everyone loves what they do, loves where they work and has a smile on their face. That is undoubtedly due to the "Cloudy Culture" that has been created and the hiring of "cloudy" people who live by the Cloudreach values. The office is full of so many nationalities and personalities and we all gel together and work together extremely well. There is a huge sense of drive, ambition, learning and development. Customers are large, enterprise customers, the projects are interesting, exciting and challenging and there is a constant buzz of innovation and ideas spinning around over a coffee on the sofa or a beanbag couch! There are lots of great benefits and there is a fantastic work/life balance. You are given the freedom to create the role and career you want while also being supported.

Cons

For me, there are no cons about working at Cloudreach. In terms of cons, from what I have seen, any problems, queries or issues that ever arise that are brought up by staff to management are addressed and ironed out.

Advice to Management

The best benefit that was ever brought in was unlimited holiday and it means so much to your employees! Continue to maintain the fantastic culture that you have created for us.

7. "Great fast growing company to work for!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

Pros

Great company to work for if you are not afraid to get your hands dirty. The company is growing rapidly and things are ever changing with it's ups and downs. But overall, it is a great place to work. The people are what make this company so great. Their values "Being easy to Work with", "Respect the individual and the individuality", "Being One Step ahead" and "Promoting Personal Growth", are lived by managers and staff on a daily basis which create their core strength.

Cons

More clarity on career progression and opportunities is a key element Cloudreach needs to work on. I know it is being looked at, so it won't be long before this is implemented!

Advice to Management

Better communication and transparency overall

"Tough times"

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland

Pros

So to summarise, Cloudreach was a great place to work at. Community was second to none, exciting and new technologies to work with on a daily basis and huge customer base with market leading brands and stacks like you wouldn't believe. And there was definitely a time where I'd say anyone would have been happy to work here.

Cons

But with any startup, there comes a point where it grows to be a regular business (call it an enterprise or franchise, whatever). At that point, departments started becoming more and more distinct. For any outsider I can say this: If you plan to work on Cloudreach Operations, you are stepping into a large challenge. Do not come unprepared and definitely not empty handed (e.g. bring something to the table that others don't know). Otherwise I'd say you will get chewed up and spit out. You might not be fired, but you will definitely be grinded up.

Operations is currently in the middle of an extensive transformation and good things can come out of that. However as it stands right now, that will only come to be if the people in it shape it for the better. If you decide to join, prepare for being thrown into deep water immediately, you'll have a lot to catch up with and no time to do it. You'll likely be expected to upskill yourself in your own free time, just as you'll be expected to pass certifications required for this job (and if you need to train for them, again, in your free time at home).

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's impossible to power through this. If you enjoy hard challenges, serious multitasking and difficult situations where you're pushed to your limits - you will be a good fit. But if you want to join for the social aspect, free drinks or fun - that will come later. It might, but definitely not at the moment.

Advice to Management

Management would seriously have to look into revising the Operations compensation scheme as it's below market average. For the expected service delivery it's even worse.

We lost multiple senior team members for not much else than wage issues and no real career progression opportunities (losing core skills and making life harder for the team).

We also retained some staff that we possibly shouldn't have and I did not see real progress in staff performance reviews put into action plans (and then actually actioned).

Trainings are definitely an issue, I would recommend putting more focus on delivering classroom-style trainings as skill gaps are apparent between team members.

Cloudreach Response

13 Oct 2016 – Global Head of People Operations

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We value and consider all feedback and we'll continue to find ways to improve but I wanted to address a couple of your specific concerns here ... More

"Good points and bad"

Former Employee - Cloud Leader in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Cloud Leader in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Cloudreach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good culture within the engineering team and elsewhere in the business.

- Cloudy Lunches

- Free fizzy drinks!

- No "Senior" titles

Cons

- A certain member of senior management in Edinburgh. This person tends to voice their opinions which can sometimes be a positive but when their rather vocal feedback is given in a completely unprofessional and often offensive way - it stops being funny and is just demotivating and infuriating.

- Based in Leith and planning to move (may have moved by now) to an office which isn't big enough for the rate of growth.

- Some very sulky folks working in the Edinburgh office and it feels like it's night and day away from London and Vancouver as a team in terms of bonding.

Advice to Management

Ultimately the main problems here are:

- You have senior management in Edinburgh not reflecting the values of the business.

- You have the culture in Edinburgh miles away from Vancouver or London.

- You have very rare visits from senior management in London (HQ) to Edinburgh to ensure the company values are being upheld.

Cloudreach Response

13 Oct 2016 – Global Head of People Operations

Thank you for your feedback, we are pleased to see you've have enjoyed our fun Cloudy Culture, Cloudy lunches, fully stocked kitchens and lean structure. Concerning the culture in our ... More

10. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People at Cloudreach really do live the "Cloudy Values" every day, and are easy to work with. There's a real community spirit and everyone pulls together globally to ensure projects are delivered successfully. The Directors are easy to chat to and care about the whole business. Cloudreach has grown to nearly 6x the number of employees since I joined but remained (mainly) true to the core values.

Cons

Direction can be an issue, with a lot of meetings having no set agenda. Lots of things happening at once with changing priorities can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Make sure you remember where we've came from and don't let things change too much. Look at staff numbers in the individual business units compared to this time two years ago, some could do with extra recruitment.

"Good, some bad."

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time

Pros

- Excellent technical teams you can learn a lot from
    - Growing quickly so excellent opportunities for progression
    - Interesting projects
    - Interesting and diverse group of people
    - Some very helpful and experienced senior managers across teams who are willing to mentor and give advice.
    - Actually some very smart/personable first-time managers who are going places, across both technical and non-technical teams
    - Flexible working and some good benefits

Cons

- Management are often naive about business strategy- rarely a Plan B or thought given to 'what if X happens'. Lots of 'yes let's do this' without any deep thought on implementation or wider impact.
    - Business strategy changes every quarter and seems really haphazard, probably a result of the above. This can make you pretty disheartened if it has practical implications on your role.
    - No branding/marketing direction whatsoever, and the media content produced is clearly of too poor a standard for the company's ambition. Social media output is really bad.
    - Expenses processing and policy continues to be an absolute disgrace and a perpetual embarrassment
    - It seems some managers aren't compensated well compared to their teams

Advice to Management

Don't neglect those who've helped build the business over the longer term to where it is today.