Cloudreach Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Cloudreach CEO Aaron M. Painter
Aaron M. Painter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "There will definitely be some growing pains as the company scales and moves from start-up to a much larger company" (in 14 reviews)

• "Natural growing pains of a quickly growing company (around processes)" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Lots of change, but what matters most hasn't changed :) People-centric company with great career opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The leadership team really cares about the people and there is a huge investment of both time and money into the culture and taking care of staff. Despite huge growth targets, the company continues to invest in regular offsites to bring global staff together (almost all expenses paid), welcoming office spaces with plenty of supplies, food, drink etc, and a dedicated Learning and Development team to promote career development culture.

Comments suggesting it is becoming a bodyshop are very misleading as this is very much not the case. We have been told there will be a big focus in the coming 6 months on career development for technical roles, as well as plans for how to win more innovative exciting work. There is always change in a growing company, but the things that really matter are not changing (the focus on treating people well).

Because it's a growing company, there are a huge number of opportunities for personal growth and promotion into new roles. The company has always been and continues to be great at giving people a chance to grow into roles and stretch themselves.

Cons

It is easy to work too hard because there is always more work to do and it's interesting and challenging work - there is still very much a startup mentality in that sense. It's down to the individual to put their own limits in place and make sure they are keeping a good balance - it is a mature environment where people are trusted to set sensible boundaries. Perhaps some of the younger staff members struggle a bit with managing this themselves.

Advice to Management

Make sure that we continue to focus on treating people well and creating a pleasant place to work. We should continue to think about what leadership means at Cloudreach and ensure that all leaders are upholding these expectations.

2. "Fast Paced, Challenging, Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The title says it all!

Nothing stays the same for long at Cloudreach, which I think is great. It means you are always working on exciting projects. I've been at Cloudreach for about 3 years and it has been the fastest three years of my life.

I enjoy being challenged and the leadership team are very supporting and encouraging - I've taken the lead on projects I would never have expected to get the chance to.

For me the people make Cloudreach - I enjoy working with such a wide range of people. I'm lucky enough in my role to speak to people across a span of Business Units and love getting to hear their different view points. The company benefits like Cloudy Lunch really help bring us together.

Cons

If you don't like hard work, this isn't the place for you. I am now more mindful of my time but if you aren't careful it's easy to lose perspective of what is a healthy work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent.

"Wonderful employer, but lacking consistency in leadership and people processes"

Former Employee - Head of Site Reliability Engineering in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Head of Site Reliability Engineering in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Cloudreach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Cloudreach are the visionary leaders in their field, which is especially impressive given that field (Public Cloud Managed Services) is a rapidly moving target.
    This means you're working with the latest technologies, learning invaluable skills which are highly desirable in the tech marketplace.

- They've kept up with tech industry trends around employee perks, so have beautiful offices (run by wonderful, caring Office Managers) filled with break out spaces, free snacks/drinks/alcohol, games areas etc.

- Core company values (e.g. "Be easy to work with") are meaningful and respected, and most people in the business generally all mean well and are supportive, helpful colleagues.

- Individual contributors are highly encouraged to learn lots on the job, with a variety of company-sponsored education platforms and certification schemes. Some engineers have tens (!) of AWS, GCP and Azure certifications! There's a whole team of full time staff ("Growth & Development") dedicated to making this happen, and one of the 4 company values is "Promote Personal Growth".

- With offices in many different countries and a rapidly growing team, there are lots of exciting opportunities for career development and potentially relocation, if travel is your thing. This also means you have the opportunity to work with people from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures.

- The work ethic and culture is generally very flexible and forgiving. If you need to go home early one day, or work from home, in most teams that is absolutely fine; there's the general trust that you'll catch up at some point and contribute to the team.

Cons

- Internally, there's a long history of leaders who make promises and say things are going to change, but don't follow through. There's lots of resentment from staff who have been around for several years, who have felt the pain of things which directly affect them (e.g. Compensation review which was promised for years but only actually started moving recently).

- The above long history of flakiness in projects trying to affect change means there's a variety of leftover symptoms from that - "technical debt" in engineering areas, lack of ownership over lots of internal projects and past attempts to improve things, etc.

- There's very little structure / process / enforcement around ensuring people are treated fairly and consistently. There are people processes which are well designed, by people with the best intentions in the world (e.g. process for 121s with varied frequencies, 360 reviews, probation reviews), but nobody is measuring whether these actually happen or enforcing this. Far too much trust is placed in the assumption that line managers are following these processes - many are not, meaning staff end up with wildly different experiences depending on who their manager was.

- Some managers are unfortunately just not well equipped to be line managers. There are a number of people in the extended leadership team who may be good /leaders/ - e.g. they may be confident, charismatic and can get people motivated - but who do not understand the importance of regularly prioritising 121s with their direct reports, helping those people challenge themselves and grow, etc.

- Salaries are (still) pretty wildly inconsistent between teams, locations and individual members of staff. There is a process kicking off just now to try and fix this properly, but this really ought to have been handled several years ago before the company got to this many staff. As it currently stands, there are some teams where one person with the same title, doing the same job, is paid literally *twice as much* as another with the same job, due to having joined before or after certain processes were introduced.

- 6 month probationary period is executed poorly, again with not enough consistently followed process. For example, a worker in one team might have a 6 month probation consisting of a detailed 121 every month, an interim 360 review after 3 months, and well-defined goals / KPIs.
    A worker in another team might have a totally different experience - e.g. have only one 121 with a couple of bits of verbal feedback, no interim review, and be let go at the end of the 6 months with some very brief, unspecific feedback.

During my short time at the company I raised all of the above issues with the leadership team (admittedly, not always in a very tactful way - this is my own personal development lesson to learn). Unfortunately, I was terminated unexpectedly at the end of my probation with very little feedback given other than that I was perceived as "disruptive", so I guess I've just unintentionally added to the leadership flakiness problem described above!

Advice to Management

Please, introduce some structure / process / enforcement around people processes (121s, interim probation reviews, etc.) ASAP - possibly even before the People Fundamentals project, or as part of the first phase of it.

This could be as simple as building a process for in Workday, announcing and enforcing that process for all line managers, then getting someone in EE to run a "121 count per employee" report in Workday every month.

This is so important, and it affects so many people across the business - nobody should reach the end of their probationary period and be totally surprised when they are terminated!

Always happy to chat further (email is my first at last name dot uk); I'm still really positive about Cloudreach and want to see the company continue doing well and things improving for all staff.
    Leaving overall positive review as I still do believe Cloudreach is overall a great employer, and want to see you break back into the 4.x range on Glassdoor!

4. "Been here few years now and never stopped loving it!"

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Excellent growth opportunities, ability to move between roles and offices
    - awesome office atmosphere, attitude of most other Cloudreachers is excellent, plenty of social events every day of the week
    - despite all the growth, so far the culture has not degraded
    - good leadership and bunch of very clever talented people around who are a pleasure to be learning from

Cons

- organisation of certain efforts and projects could be better, duplication of effort or time wastage keeps happening
    - benefits could be better

Advice to Management

Keep it going, but try to provide more structure to some of the activities

5. "So far so great!!"

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Autonomy. Flexible Working. Great Benefits including unlimited annual leave. Intelligent colleagues. Global Company. Great Values. Good Central Location

Cons

None so far!!! A couple months in to tenure and everything has been as expected so far. Definitely work hard, play hard mentality but lots of social initiatives to get you through the day.

Advice to Management

Try not to stop rolling out the things that make the company unique (lunches, quarterlies, global stretch)

6. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always busy, but GOOD busy! Loads of work to tide you over, keep you busy and to help you learn new skills.

Cons

Easy to feel overwhelmed unless you are used to working within a high pressure environment.

Advice to Management

Keep it up - you are engaging and helpful from what I've experienced thus far, and it helps on a day-to-day basis with helping staff feel valued, included and appreciated.

"Smoke and mirrors"

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time

Pros

The offices are great, when you get to see them on Friday. TGIF!

Cloudy lunch is a good way to catch up with people, even if it always makes you feel like a poor student. Guess I’ll enjoy the free water.

Beer tap is cool, when there’s beer in it. Cheers!

Sparkling water tap is nice, when there’s CO2 left in the tank. Guess I’ll enjoy the tap water again.

Mini fridge is great if you like Coke, or Diet Coke. Great health initiative.

Shared fridge is awesome, when it has more than milk in it. Cuppa?

Personal development time is good. Hope you don’t mind spending it on lunch and TGIF.

Cons

People hired years ago in technical positions have been promoted into leadership positions, irrespective of their lack of leadership skills. As a result high level management is a joke.

Diversity and inclusion should be known as smoke and mirrors.

The global compensation review has been promised for over a year, still no action whatsoever. The reported average engineer salary is 50% below market.

They can’t even afford new laptops that cost as much as the daily rate for an engineer. Old laptop owners are asked to keep them longer "due to budgeting constraints".

Advice to Management

Implement a retention policy.
    Hire competent managers.
    Pay people decently.

"Not as advertised, beware the culture"

I worked at Cloudreach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Local, clean, free snacks, gym membership

Cons

It's like a weird cult

"The best place to work, period."

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Cloudreach due to the amazing culture, and it has far exceeded my expectations. The people here are so great to work with, super SUPER smart, and know how to have fun in the office (whilst delivering world class services to our customers).

I can honestly say I have not had this much fun at work in eons, and I love the challenges we take on every day.

The opportunity is there to work with the coolest technology, with some of the brightest minds in the industry, with some of the best customers.

The growth is staggering, so be ready to stay busy (and challenged!)

Cons

The is a small company that is growing up very quickly. Some supporting systems and tools are still not quite there yet, but there is more focus than ever on getting these projects sorted out.

Advice to Management

Stay on course. The focus on being the market leader in the cloud native space is the right place to be. Keep hiring awesome people, the party is just getting started (but gets better every day)

"Exciting and growing with strong people and innovative values"

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Encourages individual thinking and collaborative working
    Exciting and hyper growing organisation in a vibrant hungry market
    Understands the right motivations and perks for employees to get the best from them
    Diversity and Inclusion is a reality not just a statement
    Really fun place to work especially for young professionals

Cons

Expected challenges with scaling up a start up company, with expected growing pains
    Desire to call things differently to other companies sometimes can create confusion
    Perks and benefits can lead to unexpected behaviours of right over privilege

Advice to Management

Focus on implementing quickly end to end business processes to support customer centric vision and business goals. More detail on value add KPI's and metrics