Cloudreach Reviews

Updated 20 May 2020

3.3
Cloudreach President and COO Brooks Borcherding
Brooks Borcherding

"Great place to work in"

Current Employee - Senior Data Architect in London, England

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

Colleagues - an environment with very smart people around Culture - no micromanagement, friendly, management is approachable Personal Development - just pick what you want Work/Life balance

Cons

Business is growing and there are challenges. However that is necessary and changing does not happen overnight. I like changes. It also opens opportunities and employees can contribute.

Cloudreach2019-10-24

October 29, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your positive outlook and agree that while there are plenty of challenges we're currently facing, they are also opportunities to learn, grow, and succeed together. Good shout on leveraging our underutilized talent to help solve internal problems, this is definitely something we're trying to do better.

"Poor leadership makes for a toxic work environment"

Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I worked at Cloudreach full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Since it used to be a tech start-up, there are still some remains of that culture - cool office spaces, some good internal systems (Gmail, Slack etc), and a few really awesome people left. Opportunity to buy into shares in the business for a chosen few individuals which does make you feel you have an extra stake and the potential to make some money. If you are in a role with a distributed team, depending on your responsibilities you might get the opportunity to travel globally and visit different offices. Generally pleasant colleagues day to day and homely feel in local offices with competitions and activities (Movie Nights, Bake Off etc).

Cons

Unfortunately, as the saying goes "people don't leave companies, they leave leaders". Many, many of the very best people who made Cloudreach what it was have either left or been driven out by new management who do not like being challenged on their approach. Having worked at Cloudreach for many years, I've seen plenty of change and the tolerance for change has always been high. Attrition is particularly high of late because the beliefs and values of the top tier of leadership at Cloudreach has permeated throughout the whole business, and the effect has been quite toxic. Perhaps it's just a natural part of being owned by a Private Equity business, but many of the positive things about the company are only remains of the old business under the old management, and even they are slowly being removed or eroded. The current leadership team's ways of working couldn't be further removed from the culture that once made the company such a special place to work. Cloudreach was founded on genuine respect for people (whatever your seniority or role), a belief that people should be treated well, and that one should earn rather than demand respect and obedience. You will hear plenty of management buzzwords: "diversity", "people-centric", "growth", "respect", "transparency". Repetition is powerful (as politicians know!), and for new starters I'm sure it does seem genuine, but for anybody who's been at the company any length of time you will see that these words are not backed up by actions or in fact real belief by the executives using them. I saw this first hand many times - at many live Q+As, I heard leadership tell outright lies about facts and figures to mislead people into holding a certain opinion. Another good example is that taking holiday is frowned upon (although never publicly verbalised), and whisperings of disapproval behind people's back to their managers means many people are paranoid about taking much needed time off. I am not saying it is an awful place to work. If you came from a traditional consultancy background it would probably seem great (as many newer people on Glassdoor attest) - because of its remaining legacy start-up elements. However, if you are looking to be in a company of true top performers, have your opinion valued and really fast track your career, then this is not the place for you any longer.

Cloudreach2019-09-16

October 28, 2019

Thanks for the feedback. We appreciate you taking note of things you liked about working at Cloudreach, like the amazing people who work here, our cloudy office spaces, and local office culture & activities. It seems like the cons you mentioned are mainly around the climate of change in the business and our current leadership. As someone who has worked for Cloudreach for 3-4 years, you’ve seen the company go through a tremendous amount of growth and change – being acquired by the private equity firm Blackstone, acquiring three other cloud technology companies (Cloudamize, ETA, and Relus Cloud), a new CEO coming on board, to name a few. Our smaller “start-up” business has quickly become much bigger and we’ve had to adapt the way we do things in order to mature as a business to reach our goals. And change is hard! Like many things at Cloudreach, our leadership team looks different than it did 2 or 5 or 10 years ago. One of Cloudreach’s original values that’s still very much a part of our new values was “respect the individual” – and we’ve brought together a talented group of individuals from a diversity of backgrounds to form our current leadership team so that we can “succeed together.” “Succeed together” is the evolved Cloudreach value that “respect the individual” corresponds to and an example of how we can both honor our proud legacy and adapt to what’s needed to reach the next level together as a company. We can appreciate that much has changed at Cloudreach, but we categorically disagree with your assessment that “if you are looking to be in a company of true top performers, have your opinion valued and really fast track your career, then this is not the place for you any longer.” We regret that you have that opinion, but want to thank you for your contribution at Cloudreach and we wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

"Used to be "best place to work""

Current Employee - Cloud Systems Developer in London, England

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

Still good people there, uncapped holiday and weekly lunch on Fridays with your colleagues

Cons

Hiring process is getting worst. People hired in the last few months are not (in majority) easy to work with, one of our former values. Management and Leadership don't listen to their employees, they don't pay attention to the feedback given.

Cloudreach2019-10-08

October 24, 2019

Thanks for the feedback. We appreciate you taking note of the great people who work here and perks like our unlimited PTO and Cloudy Lunches. However, we’re more keen to hear about the feedback that you feel is not being heard and apologize if you felt like Glassdoor was your last resort for having your voice heard. It sounds like you have expectations that have not been met and we’d like to understand where you’re coming from a little better (as you can imagine, this is difficult to do over Glassdoor). Please get in touch with us using whatever internal feedback mechanism (confidential Speak Up form, your line manager, your People Business Partner, the whistleblower hotline, etc.) you’re most comfortable with and we can try to address your concerns together.

"Feels like it was once a great company"

Former Employee - Cloud Systems Developer in London, England

I worked at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Uncapped leave. If you are able to take leave on a project then this can work out well, and many people get to take advantage of it - Training / Certs. Although the 1 day a week personal development is a bit of a fabrication (by the time you have run through meetings and other obligations you will be lucky to get a couple of hours in my experience), Cloudreach will invest in you getting certs if you put the time in - Flexibility. If the project allows it you will be able to WFH. When I had a personal issue my manager immediately told me to take off all the time I needed to recover.

Cons

- Cloud delivery feels directionless. The projects I have worked on have been pure bodyshopping for the most part, and I see no evidence of this changing - Attrition. Management can dress this up as much as they like, the fact remains that Cloudreach are losing many of their best and brightest employees and they cannot just replace them with new or recent hires - Benefits. I've worked at Cloudreach over a year now, and when I joined I was told that the benefits were being worked on. We still have no improvement (in fact they have got worse!). They claim to support women in tech and provide the legal minimum maternity leave . Pension is legal minimum, however they paid the recent 1% increase in pension contribution rather than taking it from the employee. - Bonus. Didn't pay a bonus this year because we didn't hit targets. The reason these targets weren't hit was largely due to poor management of resources, so basically staff actually working on delivery get punished for management issues. - Salary. The benefits could be forgiven if the salary was above market rate, however it is likely you are getting paid below market

Cloudreach2019-10-09

October 28, 2019

Thanks for the feedback. We appreciate you taking note of our unlimited PTO policy, flexible work options, and training opportunities. It seems like the cons you mentioned are mainly around innovative project work and compensation & benefits. Definitions of bodyshop may vary, but we are not big enough, nor low cost enough, to sell in that way. We don’t currently have a large enough offshore presence to make real bodyshopping work like the GSIs, and we basically never sell in terms "would you like x people" (although sometimes the client can think like that, but we’ll forgive them). Having said that, we do sometimes take on projects where we don't have as much ownership as we'd like over outcome to see if we can build a relationship with the customer. This shouldn't be a long-term thing. The Customer Transformation Advisory is in large part created to mitigate this. Post our rebrand, we as a company are learning to shift conversations from projects to programs at pre-sales and help our customers see how we add value. Similarly, across the company we're working on productizing IP and process to try and add both ownership and value. Rest assured, opportunities for innovation still abound at Cloudreach. In terms of compensation, we’ve spent significant time this year implementing the People Fundamentals framework. One step of the program included using a professional consultancy to level the entire company through external professional market salary surveys and internal benchmarking, after which we made crucial market adjustments for those we felt were below market. As part of our Cloudy Deal (or employee value proposition), we’re building out our total rewards strategy, which has recently included a full benefits review. Finally, through our new Performance Elevation Process, we’ve also established a regular cycle of performance, development, and recognition to support everyone to grow and develop–including mid-management and all leaders–to balance individual contributions with the company’s overall performance. Thank you for your contribution at Cloudreach – we wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

5. "Good, on the bumpy road to being great"

Current Employee - Core Operations Analyst in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for less than a year

Pros

Perks are excellent; uncapped annual leave, great office space, great healthy culture

Cons

Concerns and input can feel like they hit a brick wall at senior levels

Cloudreach2019-10-09

October 24, 2019

Thanks for the nice review! We appreciate it. As someone who's "on the floor," we want to hear from you – please don't hesitate to get in touch with us using whatever internal feedback mechanism you’re most comfortable with (confidential Speak Up form, your line manager, your People Business Partner, etc.) and we can start a conversation!

"Just another underperforming MSP. Cloudreach is dead."

Former Employee - Cloud Systems Developer in London, England

I worked at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

People - you will meet some lovely people. You will meet some highly skilled people, though the top echelons are dwindling day by day. Despite the horrendous decline, there are still a few people in the business, whether technical, managerial or HR focussed who do care deeply, and are determined to turn it around. Those people are highly admirable and will be the ones who give you hope. If you're relatively inexperienced, this is a good first step if you're willing to put the effort in. Bear in mind that if you're underperforming, nobody will say a thing and you'll still pass probation, so the caveat is that you must be motivated to push yourself and seek out those individuals that enjoy being generous with their knowledge. Related to this - if you're an experienced engineer, but struggling to get AWS or Python on your CV, you could spend a year here. There's more skills to gain, but you'd be lucky to not end up on a general bodyshop project. I would say the perks are good but they're being diluted. You still get lunch on Fridays, which is a nice touch. Access to aCloud.guru and plenty of Udemy content. That's pretty cool, since you should come here and use the time to upskill ready for your next job which might even pay market rate. If its important to have a social/drinking culture, you'll find it here. There's usually plenty of opportunity for a drink or two. If you can just get by, come to work, do your hours and not really mind about doing something different or innovative then this is a good place to come and just get by.

Cons

The company is clearly in disarray, but there is a leadership team will not talk straight to colleagues. They will preach "transparency", but it is smoke and mirrors. You will get the opportunity to have Q&A with them, but everything will be answered with sheer denial, or "Yes we are aware and we really care. We're looking into it. Still." You will probably be body shopped onto a rather dull engagement doing the fundamental basics of cloud adoption. Talk of innovation is not something you will likely find yourself involved in. You will be told you're joining a company full of amazing talent. Truth is, if you're experienced, you'll probably be leant on constantly and find that next level of talent to work with. You might try to drive forward improvements but it'll be an uphill struggle, in which you may find yourself demotivated and burned out. Perks are being trimmed to save money. Everyone will be told how important it is to reduce costs. Then they will hire some more unnecessary management roles that generate no value (let alone revenue). Then they'll hire useful people too, but they'll sit on the bench for months waiting for a project. So while they still haven't got a mature benefits package, the cultural benefits are being eroded. Morale is through the floor. People are leaving in droves, particularly the highly skilled. Nobody seems to believe in any mission. The whole "Keep it Cloudy" cultural aspect is gone. You will be paid FAR less than you can get elsewhere for your skills. Not a little, but a lot. Plenty of people accept less in return for a happy work life with great culture. Once you realise that doesn't actually exist, you will wonder why you're here. You probably won't be rotated on engagements very often. You might not want to be, or risk being put on the bench to work on some dead end internal project. Promotion comes from throwing your toys out the pram or knowing the right person. Which explains the number of incompetent or under-experienced people in leadership positions. No real direction. Lots of talk from leadership of being "super excited" and being in "hypergrowth". Its all hollow. The things you've seen about Cloudreach being an amazing place to work mostly come from a few years ago. Sometimes you'll see some glowing reviews on here which sound suspiciously like they are written by someone who wants you to see it :) The leadership has taken the company in a direction where you are not part of the same team. They sit above you. You are numbers on a page. You are a means to their end. They make everything very formal (particularly if they are trying to shut you up), but not when it matters. If its something that affects you, then it depends on how they feel on the day.

Cloudreach2019-09-05

October 23, 2019

Hi, Chris Bunch (General Manager - EMEA) here. Thanks for the feedback - and the positive things you take the time to call out around people, development and some of the benefits. I agree we’ve always generally hired really well for smart, friendly people who get on well with each other. I/we don’t agree with the strength of some of the comments in the Cons section, but thanks for taking the time to write it anyway - and for the suggestions on things to improve. We’re always moving fast, but equally always striving to do better. As you know, there’s no downside to giving direct feedback internally, so hopefully you were able to voice these concerns while you were at Cloudreach. We’ve acted on a lot of feedback we gotten recently, such as making our strategy clearer and understood by everyone, transparency on the big bets we’re taking in FY20, etc.

"I Love This Company."

Current Employee - Csd

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

In my 24 year career, I've never before worked at a place where management is more engaged, more transparent, or tries harder than at Cloudreach. Sure, it's not perfect, but welcome to the real world. In my time here so far, I've worked on several really cool projects for clients, and the people I work with are smart and they care about me and care about doing great work. There is a love of engineering and technology, and my colleagues are constantly innovating in the work we get to deliver. Management has a clear strategy for the company, and the mission is about making other people great and doing it with technology. When my former colleagues talk about their jobs elsewhere and I talk about mine, they are jealous about what it's like for me at Cloudreach.

Cons

This is my first time on this site and I so surprised to read negative reviews, that I felt compelled to write something about my experience, because it is nothing like I read here. It's not a perfect company, but I've worked at enough places to know that no company is perfect.

Cloudreach2019-09-12

October 23, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words!

"Going downhill"

2.0

I have been working at Cloudreach

Pros

Flexible working Lots of autonomy Central office & snacks Weekly lunch with colleagues on Friday’s Onsite massages Gym passes at local hotel

Cons

Keeps changing on a daily basis in spite of this actually being a simple IT services business; - back office staff constantly worn out & constantly running to catch up Internal systems and processes are very poor - highly manual & antiquated Lack of accountability / ownership due to practically no middle management Good people leaving left right and centre

Cloudreach2019-10-01

October 24, 2019

Thanks for the feedback. We appreciate you taking note of the cloudy perks & benefits you mentioned like flex work options and our awesome office spaces. However, we’re more keen to hear about the feedback that you have around our internal systems and processes so we can be more efficient as a company. We’ve had a year (actually many years, especially in the last 3) of huge growth, and with that our smaller “start-up” business has quickly become much bigger. We hear you – our systems and processes have been lagging behind this growth spurt. That’s why we have been investing time over the past year to solidify some of our business’ underlying “infrastructure” to steady our growth. We want Cloudreach to feel just as connected as we grow, so we encourage everyone to please share your ideas on how we don’t lose sight of the great things we’ve always done as our company scales. I suspect you have some good ideas about how to solve these growing pains internally, so we’d like to understand where you’re coming from a little better (as you can imagine, this is difficult to do over Glassdoor). Please get in touch with us using whatever internal feedback mechanism (Robert Moon is leading internal projects related to excellence at pace, our confidential Speak Up form, your line manager, your People Business Partner, etc.) you’re most comfortable with and we can try to address your concerns together.

"Great perks and learning opportunities"

Current Employee - Cloud Systems Developer in London, England

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great perks and learning opportunities.

Cons

Great perks and learning opportunities but no opportunity to grow with what you have learnt.

Cloudreach2019-09-16

October 28, 2019

Thanks for the feedback. We appreciate you taking note of the cloudy perks & benefits you enjoy at Cloudreach, as well the learning opportunities available to you here. However, as a current employee, we’re keen to hear more about why you’re dissatisfied with your options for career growth and how we can do a better job of supporting the engineering community with technical coaching / mentoring. Please get in touch with us using whatever internal feedback mechanism you’re most comfortable with–our confidential Speak Up form, your line manager, the Internal Communications & Culture team, your People Business Partner, etc.–so we can get a better understanding of where you’re coming from. As you can imagine, these types of things are difficult to resolve over Glassdoor, so let’s work together offline to improve Cloudreach together.

"Managers, not Leaders"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited holidays, unlimited training and development. great feedback mechanisms and dynamic CEO contributing to a really good culture. well positioned in the marketplace leading to loads of great work opportunities

Cons

extremely disjointed and disconnected management layers throughout the org - it starts out friendly but soon people struggle to make eye contact or say hi when they walk past. the management and long term-ers egos take over and there is no room for competing opinions on improving delivery models. middle management is a joke, they seem undertrained in the simple concepts of career development, continuous improvement, product education, recognition, matching skills to client needs, etc. so hire top heavy roles to fulfill staff development functions leading to a mass of unbillable staff. blackstone acquisition led to culling almost all perks

Cloudreach2019-08-29