Cloudreach Reviews

Updated 20 May 2020

3.4
Cloudreach President and COO Brooks Borcherding
Brooks Borcherding

"Great People, Average company"

2.0
    Former Employee - Devops Engineer

I worked at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited holiday, snacks, free food Fridays, new starter pizza, certification training and exams paid for, some very lovely colleagues

Cons

Consistently attribute any problem to growing pains of a start up to established business - used way too often, and is an excuse IMO Constantly changing priorities/focus for company direction. I never knew what the strategy was Longer working hours Don't pay close to market rate, and happy for you to go elsewhere instead of retaining talent by increasing your earnings Revolving door of colleagues Limited opportunity for progression Probation review was a joke, just get friendly with a couple of people over 6 months and ask them to provide your feedback

Cloudreach2019-08-30

"Excellent people, great technology, good perks; lacking in long-term strategic management and transparency"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Cloudreach full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people here are incredible. They will help you and support your growth and development, and there is very much a collaborative atmosphere across most of the teams. Cloudy lunch, snacks and other perks help to boost morale and keep you going. Flexible working encouraged where possible. Most managers give team members a lot of autonomy. The tech is awesome. When things are going well for the company it's a great place to be.

Cons

Lack of transparency with regards to the company strategy, restructuring and redundancies. Q&A's become a bit like an internal marketing / PR exercise. Constant change gives the impression that senior mgmt do not know quite what they are doing.

Cloudreach2019-08-28

"Wasted Potential"

2.0
    Former Employee - Devops Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is made by the attitude and values of its engineers on the frontlines, supporting the customers, and building the software.

Cons

All levels of management in all verticals of the business seem to have their own view of the long term strategy. As such, the business doesn't pull as one. A company with great ideas and exactly the right people to execute them ends up sub-par across the board. In addition, the selection process for middle-management roles appears flawed. Some hires shy away from their workload and rarely contribute, others swing their opinions like a battle axe and cause real damage both internally and externally, and the vast majority are simply ineffective.

Cloudreach2019-08-22

August 28, 2019Cloudreach

Thank you for your feedback. I agree we have an amazing bunch of people. Both engineers working at the frontline as well as in all other parts of the business. As you say these amazing people and their attitudes make our company great. We love the fact that we have diverse perspectives and opinions too. It’s one of the things that has always made us stronger, more innovative and more impactful. Equally, we recognise that that as we’ve evolved and grown at 80-100% year over year, that our strategy needs to evolve with us and this is bound to create differences in opinion of what that should be. Which is why, in the last few months, we’ve taken a step back to really understand holistically where we are now, the direction we want to go, the opportunities and challenges ahead, and what our key differentiators are to crystallise what our long term strategy needs to be. This is something we want to have broader conversations with our people about and as you say, tap into their strong opinions, passions and aspirations too. Thank you for being part of our journey. We wish you every success in your future.

"The downward spiral continues... if culture is important to you then think twice"

1.0
    Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I worked at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Still *some* good people... but they are leaving in droves - Office managers do their best to make the offices nice places to work - Flexible working if agreed with your manager

Cons

- Management are completely disconnected from the rest of the company. Top-down communications are terrible and leave people confused as to what the message actually is. Decisions are made and forced upon people, then swept under the carpet when leaders realise it was the wrong move, with no acknowledgement of their mistakes. - Cloudreach culture is dead. The amazing culture was the reason that I, and many people, joined the company but management has made it clear that they don't think it's important and focus on culture has gone from 100 to 0. We used to have amazing values that everybody could get behind but that is no longer the case. Fun events that let Cloudreachers meet and bond have been canned in favour of corporate town halls full of jargon and opaque 'business updates'. - Things are promised and not delivered on. A new people framework was launched and only did about 50% of the things it said it would, and not very well! Transparency was promised but the majority of people are still confused about their career paths, reward and benefits. - I've seen a real decline in how people are treated at Cloudreach. When I joined I could say without hesitation that it was a people business above all else, now I cannot say that. Colleagues who have put so much into this company have not been given the kudos and respect they deserve, and in fact have been treated very poorly and left out in the cold. It feels like Cloudreach simply doesn't care about people anymore.

Cloudreach2019-09-10

October 23, 2019

Hi, Beth Clutterbuck (CPO) here. Culture is incredibly important to us at Cloudreach. Values so much so that we spent 6 months evolving our values through a bottom up approach with the help of Culture Champions (everyday Cloudreachers who are passionate about Keeping it Cloudy) to ensure that our evolved values were beliefs that everyone could get behind. A selection of our Culture Champions unveiled the new values during our Company Kickoff and our next step is to embed them in everything we do. People are already using them in everyday situations - which is great to see. The kickoff was an opportunity to share our mission, ambition, values, strategy and how we plan to measure them in plain language - free of jargon. It was also an opportunity to build networks and community - and have a pretty fun time too. We are indeed rolling out a new people framework - and since January this year we have created job descriptions and competencies for every role, benchmarked all jobs externally, created a job grid transparent on our Wiki, built salary ranges and implemented a new global Performance Elevation Process. Our FY19 ratings are being shared and discussed now and our FY20 objectives and key results begin cascading shortly. We have rebuilt our HRIS and are providing updated functionality in a series of sprints - sometimes as frequently as weekly. Has everything always gone smoothly - no it has not. Is there more to do? Absolutely. Have we tried our hardest to be transparent - Yes. We agree there is much more to be done, especially clarity on reward and benefits, and those are the areas next in focus. We would love to discuss with your personally your ideas on how we can do better in all these areas.

"Lots of dissatisfaction. The company was great and is now a bit bland"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are still some great people at Cloudreach below the senior management level who go above and beyond to try and make this a great place to work. Despite the nice to haves being reduced there are still many perks to work at Cloudreach. The company has ambition and aims to be a market leader. Middle management are still worth following.

Cons

The hypergrowth has diluted the feel of working for an exciting start up, as such it has become like any other big business without the bonus of established routines, processes and equivalent renumeration. The company has shifted from being European led to being American run (this is only a con if you prefer the former) with a change in focus, priorities and leadership style. Although I was not aiming for any promotions in the near term I witnessed many people overlooked for promotion as growth was bought in rather than nurtured and developed. Leadership pride themselves on offering opportunities to ask questions and create an open communication culture, yet more often than not they sit on the fence in the manner expected of politicians.

Cloudreach2019-07-11

July 22, 2019Chief People Officer

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Absolutely agree with you that we have incredible people at Cloudreach, and teams that really care about the work we do, the impact we’re having and looking out for each other as we do it. It’s one of the main reasons I joined Cloudreach myself! Thanks for being open about how you’re feeling in the ‘cons’ section too. We do pride ourselves on our open culture and providing opportunities for everyone to share their questions, concerns and ideas. It’s quite difficult at times to answer questions in a way that meets the needs of everyone in open forums, particularly when asked anonymously as we often lack the context for those questions. I certainly find a conversation is more effective and rewarding, so I would love to speak with you personally to understand more. If you haven’t already, please feel free to contact me directly. As you say, we’ve had a year (actually many years) of huge growth, and with that our smaller ‘start-up’ business has become much bigger. We hear you - our systems, processes and routines have been lagging this growth spurt. That’s why we have been investing time over the past year to solidify those foundations to steady our growth. We want Cloudreach to feel just as connected as we grow, so please share your ideas on how we don’t lose sight of the great things we’ve always done as our company scales. Hopefully we will get a chance to talk soon.

"The technology is amazing!"

Current Employee - Cloud Operations in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for less than a year

Pros

I spend my days playing with the latest technology. There are no limits and I can build anything I want and being it to my peers. Cloudreach enable people and provide an environment where you can work how you want to work. You will be tasked to do some really interesting work and have an opportunity to work with some of the smartest people. -Free beers on Friday! -Free lunch on Friday -Free breakfast every day -Pastries on Friday -Weekly get together where we acknowledge all the great things individuals have done in the previous week Cloudreach do care, they really do. Their entire culture from the top down are very aware of the 'human factor' and they allow you to work and be great in a way which works for you.

Cons

Honestly none. I'm very happy with my employment at Cloudreach.

Cloudreach2019-07-18

"Awesome place to be with great learning opportunities"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Cloudreach full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• Amazing people and even more awesome colleagues • Flexibility & working from home. • Opportunities to progress in a different direction. • There's so much learning potential in all different areas. • The perks & benefits, they're unparalleled from anything I've seen before. Laptop, phone, unlimited holidays (within reason), quarterlies, yearly kickoffs, weekly free lunch, snacks & drinks, and much more. • • • I can't speak much on the state of other departments, I've never felt "threatened" by upper management about any aspect. We chose our own development path, tools and frameworks and were never forced to do anything in a specific way. • • • All in all, I think over the past ~4.5 years I went from a graduate to learning so much on AWS/Azure/GCP, software development and most leading industry technologies. I even got the chance to participate in a few Hackathons!

Cons

• Generally a 1-2-1 is promised every week, but after a while it felt like this happened every few months instead (2017-2018). • Sometimes an inquiry to management via your manager would take a while (not the manager's fault), in one case it took almost 8 months to get a response after chasing (2017). • A certain colleague in another department did not have the best of relationship, they were constantly trying to undermine our department at every opportunity; however, nothing was done about them and this eventually caused amazing talent to quit as a result. • • • I did notice a change during the end of 2018 in which we were moving more towards the traditional business model, however that is to be expected when you have so many employees. I joined when Cloudreach only had about 100 employees. • • • My only reasoning for leaving was to try out different avenues, but I would definitely recommend Cloudreach to anyone else.

Cloudreach2019-07-10

"A genuinely good place to work"

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent Pay, Unrivalled Work Culture, Perks including eating out Fridays, Working From Home, Bonuses and uncapped holiday allowance. Exciting tech driven work, in a market leader.

Cons

Going through severe growth, so business is adapting as it's outgrown being a startup

Cloudreach2019-07-05

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great projects Work Life balance Passionate coworkers Open communication from leadership Amazing quarterlies and Friday cloudy lunches Diversity and inclusion Excellent career progression

Cons

No cons to mention specifically

Cloudreach2019-05-29

"Wonderful people-centric company with vibrant culture, great people, and cozy office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Lots of flexibility - Good Work/Life balance - Multicultural place with amazing people - Unlimited holiday policy - Good internal career move structure - Option to work from home - The company cares about its people and frequently seeks employees' feedback and opinions on current and prospective changes within the business

Cons

- With the rapid expansion the company is undergoing, some growing pains are not uncommon

Cloudreach2019-05-31