Cloudreach Employee Reviews about "career progression"

Updated Oct 21, 2021

Found 15 of over 380 reviews

3.7
Cloudreach President and COO Brooks Borcherding
Brooks Borcherding
Pros
  • "They head to the top company's which reflects how much they learned while at Cloudreach(in 74 reviews)

• "a good place to work, work-life balance is great(in 35 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Growing pains that come with every org growing at this rate, but leadership is working hard to implement processes that help the org scale(in 20 reviews)

• "Career progression and structured feedback is often lacking(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

62 Comments

Tech

289.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Cloudreach~439504
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "career progression"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Moving in the right direction again

Apr 30, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working, work/life balance New management are transparent and communicating with employees well Well compensated at a base level

Cons

Career progression and structured feedback is often lacking

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 2.0

Mediocre at best

Oct 21, 2021 - Recruiter in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited holidays Smart and fun colleagues

Cons

No career progression opportunities Chaotic processes

4 people found this review helpful

Cloudreach Response

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you highlighting our brilliant people as well as our unlimited holiday policy which is one of the many benefits we have on offer to support Cloudreachers. Career progression at Cloudreach can be both vertical and cross-profession, so we’re sorry to hear you do not feel there are opportunities for you. Career and development has been one of our global focus areas for this year so we hope that you feel the impact from the progress that is being made with regards to this. You also mention processes - we would be interested to hear which you are referring to in particular and would like to hear more about your thoughts, so please feel free to reach out internally.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Very bumpy 2019 Q3/Q4 - changes in place 2020, hopefully for the better

Jul 30, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Cloudy Lunches / Professional exams paid / Uncapped holiday * New Leaders in place for 2020 (CEO and Cloud Strategists with solid industry experience, although not consultancy) * Evidence of coherent GTM strategy underpinned by simple, effective marketing campaigns

Cons

The 2nd half of 2019 was very bumpy for Cloudreach - the CEO was replaced and profitability was red flagged by the PE owners. Some of the elements below shed more light; - General lack of marketing team, experience and capability with an inside out mentality favoured - Hiring spree to grow business without supporting strategy around pipeline generation. CSP partner relationships not actively managed or leveraged effectively - Limited success shifting from PS to MSP and ISV (for improved PE resale valuation) with a real lack of actual LT experience in these new areas - Sales team incentivised x3 and x5 in these new areas, ignoring PS core strength. The result, a PS pipeline with a 10 week backlog to zero over 2019 resulting in significant benchtime. - Leadership Team were hamstrung by groupthink - concensus favoured over effective decision making. Whilst the CEO has been replaced , its unfair to blame him for all the strategic shortcomings. Its fair however to say he was not strong enough to lead a large and misaligned LT. - Formalisation of career progression framework was a carcrash led by HR, who refused to listen to employee feedback. Programme constantly over-promised and under delivered, resulting in frustration and extensive resignations of many excellent technical people - Business and capacity planning was poorly done year after year, with insufficient data, relying on guesswork. - Project profitability was not understood or actively managed, due to a lack of LT experience working for a consultancy business. Projects often underscoped and over-promised by sales behaviour and lack of sales governance (deal desk introduction). Some deals would overun by 12 months or more, without robust contract protection. As a result, the inability to make a profit triggered a red light for PE owners, causing at least 10% of employees to be made redundant globally in 2019 in 3 tranches. This had an understandable knock-on effect on established talent deciding to leave the business. Hopefully 2020 will see a cementing of the great Cloudreach culture and establishment of a business people want to stay at and clients flock to for Cloud expertise.

12 people found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Iceberg, right ahead

Aug 17, 2020 - Core Ops Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Work/life balance (uncapped holidays) - you get away with doing the bare minimum if you can hide it well - free swag - could provide a boost to confidence if you fall for the fake shoulder-patting

Cons

- Virtue signalling community - Continuously in breach of customer contracts and no vision to improve this - Bleeding engineers and customers - New ideas get dismissed, then months or years later are implemented after all after a major issue but you won't get any of the credit for your original suggestion. - No career progression based on technical skill, it all comes down to how friendly you get with seniors The alerting platform is unreliable, overly noisy with false positives, which has led to general "alert fatigue" with many engineers blatantly ignoring alerts coming through, not even communicating to the customers the alert came through. The same mistakes keep getting made over and over again and the platform falls over occasionally, sometimes due to a cause that was repeatedly warned about before. Engineers just "do something" which might cause a flood of additional (and unnecessary) work for others. This company was heavily invested in by Blackstone (that same Blackstone that's evicting people out of their rental homes in the US during Covid), and a few years and redundancy rounds later, it is clearly on its way to being sold off, the current CEO's track record just confirms this. Beware before accepting an offer here, as many of the Pros mentioned in reviews older than 1-2 years are not applicable anymore. A new team is being assembled in Pune, India - the reasons behind this do not need further elaborating. - Under market-average compensation

15 people found this review helpful

Cloudreach Response

First, thank you for your contribution during your time at Cloudreach. It’s clear you felt a lack of recognition during your time here, so it seems reasonable to assume you weren’t one of the employees trying to “get away with doing the bare minimum” like you mentioned. We recognize that we’re not always going to be able to compete with other companies on salary, but we’ve worked diligently (and are still working!) to put the right infrastructure in place that recognizes and rewards Cloudreachers and their contributions appropriately. This includes plans (some of which are already underway) that will give all Cloudreachers more opportunities and clearer guidance for career advancement, especially in Cloud Operations. In addition to salary, you mentioned feedback and recognition a few times (e.g. “fake shoulder-patting,” “won’t get any credit”), which is something we’ve noticed still needs improvement in our most recent employee engagement survey results – so you’re not alone in that sentiment. In that employee engagement survey, the question with the most improvement (+16%) since last quarter was “The business leaders at Cloudreach demonstrate that people are important to the company's success.” Although we know we have lots of work still left to do, we take that as a sign from our current employees that we're headed in the right direction. While it’s unfortunate you made the decision to leave Cloudreach before getting to see improvement, we wish you the best in your future endeavors.

5. 4.0

(Hopefully) Picking Back Up

Jun 19, 2020 - Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

New SLT has re-inspired a deal of trust in the business that had been lost during Aaron's tenure. The honesty & directness has been appreciated.

Cons

Career progression varies wildly from area to area, some engines have a much easier time for promotion whereas others fight tooth and nail to have a chance for it, it feels like. Perks have been scaled back recently, the cool, quirky things which made Cloudreach Cloudreach seem to have vanished without any recognition. The pains of the company 'growing up' are also being felt, striking the line between governance and velocity is incredibly difficult and I think there's a lot that can still be done here.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Chaos and lack of support / direction

Feb 10, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- "Cloudy Lunch" on Fridays. if you are lucky enough to avoid having someone schedule a meeting over the top of that time slot. - Some remnants of the old "Cloudy Culture" still remain

Cons

- No clear leadership direction. - Significant recent reduction in headcount; but still growing the work / customer portfolio whilst running on a bare minimum of staff. Not back-filling attrition. - No clear career progression - No bonuses / salary reviews or rises / other reward scheme - No overtime (but people are expected to work regardless)

9 people found this review helpful

Cloudreach Response

Hey there, thanks for dropping us a review. Given you’ve been with us for some time, you’ll know firsthand that we experienced a lot of change last year, including shifts in our leadership. Looks like you approve of our new CEO though, which is a great start. We choose to view the change we experienced with optimism and believe that the forming of a new leadership team presents an opportunity to step back, regroup, and make sure everyone is aligned on the path ahead. The way we’re setting ourselves up for the future is also sure to open new career opportunities for you personally, and those willing to put in the work will certainly be the ones who reap the rewards. Last year we needed to take steps to right-size our business, but we’re already seeing positive signs that show we’re back on track – and hope you’re starting to see them, too. In terms of conflicting meetings during Cloudy Lunch: that’s frustrating and should be avoided, we’re 100% with you on that one!

7. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

This ship is sinking...

Nov 6, 2019 - Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

A once great company is well and truly over. Hideous to employees, especially woman.

Cons

Too many to mention, treat women badly, no interest in career progression, kicking people out the door left, right and centre.

18 people found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Current Employee

Used to be great - becoming a boring corporate machine which lacks innovation

Feb 10, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Still some good people left Flexible working hours and holiday benefits are good

Cons

Culture diminishing - hiring bar has lowered in both a technical and social capacity. Trying to meet aggressive recruitment targets set by new leadership who don't grasp what made the company successful and differentiated it from competitors. Lots of the fun perks are quickly disappearing - no quarterly trips Leadership are very closed about the real company strategy - founders used to be open about what was happening - the new corporate leaders just make vague meaningless statements now. Pay is below market rate People get mistreated - extra efforts go unnoticed. Engineers now often get left on projects for long periods of time in a bodyshop capacity. Longer standing employees get rewarded less than new joiners who are less experienced. Most of the projects the company has are using older less innovative areas of Cloud technology which means you don't learn new skills as much as if you worked somewhere more progressive like Cloudreach used to be. In some cases Cloudreach is struggling to remain far enough ahead of its customers Cloud proficiency to add strategic value. Took over 1 year (and still counting) to work on restructuring the company and halted a lot of the previous opportunities of career progression in the meantime - Cloudreach didn't care that lots of good people left during that time and those losses are beginning to show.

26 people found this review helpful

Head of Cloudreach Europe

Thanks for the note, pleased to hear you generally like the benefits and the people we hire. We like to reply to feedback where we can, although it’s always difficult doing so anonymously. I’ll pick a few of your points below, and try to answer/respond: - Hiring bar. My belief is this is more perception than reality, likely linked to many new faces as we grow. I joined the company at around 10 people, so being at 800 plus is also a change for me - although one I’m enjoying, ;-) Generally it’s Cloudreach’s more experienced folks that handle our interviews, and I know they are as picky as ever (and so they should be, this is part of what makes us different). There’s no agenda to lower that bar, that wouldn’t make sense for anyone. We *are* definitely hiring a lot of people though - all of whom still pass difficult “domain” interviews, alongside the usual cloud panel check on cultural fit. - Quarterly trip. That’s a fair one - when we were a smaller organisation, it was logistically and cost-wise still possible to do this around calendar Q1. Now we’re a bit bigger, we took a decision this year at least to focus the effort and money elsewhere around benefits. We did still of course organise local events + parties in each city, and are gathering feedback formally around what worked + didn’t. - On the point about being closed on Strategy, that’s definitely not intentional. We’ve always tried to be open on all fronts, and I suspect communicate about who we are and what we do a lot more than most companies - BUT - sounds like we can do better. What type of thing would you like to hear about? Submit it through the TGIF Q form, or have a chat to your team lead, please. - You raise a couple of salary points - which I hope have been addressed in the recent rounds of benchmarking. But if not, your team lead would be a good place to start for a conversation if not already done. The Employee Engagement team can help with discussions after that. - On the “new skills” point, we’d love to help you (and others interested) work on something that’s of interest to you. Are you talking to your team lead on this? Sounds like you’ve got some good ideas we should be looking at. If that’s not getting the result you’d like, please talk to your ‘engine’ leader directly with some ideas. I was chatting to someone about tensorflow in space earlier for (very!) remote Edge devices, definitely interesting things going on, depending on what you're looking for. If we can get some specifics, I’m certain we can make some progress in the areas you’d like. I agree entirely with this sentiment: “the people are your greatest asset”. Chris

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Amazing culture. Lots of fun, but not for the faint-hearted

Nov 18, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Exposed to great tech. Ability to make a real difference. Plenty of learning and career opportunities as the company continues to grow. Culture is great, incredibly talented colleagues. Great customers and exciting projects. Incredible growth, who doesn't want to be part of a winning team!

Cons

There are some tools and processes which are only being improved recently. Most people are passionate about innovation and change, and aren't very forgiving of that, but inn fairness, when growing at this pace, it's easy to outgrow processes very quickly. Some other areas like the "formal" career progression paths need sorting (happening now).

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great fast growing company to work for!

Sep 20, 2016 -  in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for if you are not afraid to get your hands dirty. The company is growing rapidly and things are ever changing with it's ups and downs. But overall, it is a great place to work. The people are what make this company so great. Their values "Being easy to Work with", "Respect the individual and the individuality", "Being One Step ahead" and "Promoting Personal Growth", are lived by managers and staff on a daily basis which create their core strength.

Cons

More clarity on career progression and opportunities is a key element Cloudreach needs to work on. I know it is being looked at, so it won't be long before this is implemented!

Be the first to find this review helpful