Cloudreach Employee Reviews about "cloud"

Updated 30 Jul 2020

3.4
Cloudreach President and COO Brooks Borcherding
Brooks Borcherding
Pros
  • "Cloudy lunch - Every Friday - The team goes out to have lunch together(in 30 reviews)

• "Great work/life balance and flexibility(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains that come with every org growing at this rate, but leadership is working hard to implement processes that help the org scale(in 19 reviews)

• "Cloud Operations is an outrageous mess(in 18 reviews)

Reviews about "cloud"

Return to all Reviews

"Cloudreach is back!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

Renewed leadership has produced a significant change on the company and its people. People’s moods have changed and it is again, a great place to work. New operating model works and there’s a culture of action to keep making things better.

Cons

Cloud Operations is an outrageous mess. It needs to be sorted. The people team needs more people who care. We all know who cares. Empower them (they make the difference) and get rid of others.

Continue reading

"Very bumpy 2019 Q3/Q4 - changes in place 2020, hopefully for the better"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Cloudy Lunches / Professional exams paid / Uncapped holiday * New Leaders in place for 2020 (CEO and Cloud Strategists with solid industry experience, although not consultancy) * Evidence of coherent GTM strategy underpinned by simple, effective marketing campaigns

Cons

The 2nd half of 2019 was very bumpy for Cloudreach - the CEO was replaced and profitability was red flagged by the PE owners. Some of the elements below shed more light; - General lack of marketing team, experience and capability with an inside out mentality favoured - Hiring spree to grow business without supporting strategy around pipeline generation. CSP partner relationships not actively managed or leveraged effectively - Limited success shifting from PS to MSP and ISV (for improved PE resale valuation) with a real lack of actual LT experience in these new areas - Sales team incentivised x3 and x5 in these new areas, ignoring PS core strength. The result, a PS pipeline with a 10 week backlog to zero over 2019 resulting in significant benchtime. - Leadership Team were hamstrung by groupthink - concensus favoured over effective decision making. Whilst the CEO has been replaced , its unfair to blame him for all the strategic shortcomings. Its fair however to say he was not strong enough to lead a large and misaligned LT. - Formalisation of career progression framework was a carcrash led by HR, who refused to listen to employee feedback. Programme constantly over-promised and under delivered, resulting in frustration and extensive resignations of many excellent technical people - Business and capacity planning was poorly done year after year, with insufficient data, relying on guesswork. - Project profitability was not understood or actively managed, due to a lack of LT experience working for a consultancy business. Projects often underscoped and over-promised by sales behaviour and lack of sales governance (deal desk introduction). Some deals would overun by 12 months or more, without robust contract protection. As a result, the inability to make a profit triggered a red light for PE owners, causing at least 10% of employees to be made redundant globally in 2019 in 3 tranches. This had an understandable knock-on effect on established talent deciding to leave the business. Hopefully 2020 will see a cementing of the great Cloudreach culture and establishment of a business people want to stay at and clients flock to for Cloud expertise.

"From unique slowly became just another consultancy"

Current Employee - Cloud Architect in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

It can be a good opportunity to learn about cloud if you end up on the few interesting projects. There are still some talent (however attrition is high). There are some turn in the last couple of months since the renewed SLT. Communication is open and honest on the situation and the planned actions. The new senior management still has a lot to proof on the execution. They recently started to promote some positions internally. Benefits: - uncapped holiday if you can agree with your boss, PM and the customer - cloudy lunch - discounted healthcare insurance (not anything attractive ) - remote work if client agrees - online learning opportunities - related certifications covered by the company

Cons

The former SLT lead by Aaron Painter drove the company to a disaster ( note, the vision of becoming a software company came from the former CEO/owner Pontus and the board not from Aaron. He failed on execution but the vision had many flaws as it ignored the fact that the strength of the company are the people and their technical consultancy skills) The short term focus is on revenue and reaching 0 or at least minimal profitability which is understandable after the disaster caused by former SLT but longer term vision is blur at best or simply not defined/existing atm. It's not a market leader in the MSP space any more just another consultancy struggling to balance budget. 1. Compensation/benefits: - no regular salary/compensation reviews( you might join with a reasonable salary but it never gets reviewed) - pension scheme is not anything attractive - based on recent cost and 100% utilization focus its just a question of time when the next benefit will be taken away - 4h/wk personal development time is not guarantied any more as 100% utilization is the priority 2. People, Culture - if there was anything like Cloudreach unique culture, that's gone. - People treated really bad during the several recent layoffs last year and that has been mostly done by the new management... - it's more of a blame culture these days, not collaborative any more - attrition is still high and long time cloudreachers leaving company - Quarterlies which helped to build bond between the offices are long gone - company still struggling to eat its own dog food: internal templating, reusing artefacts, automation, tool integration is not really exists - team events are non existing 3. work - the bulk of new work are cloud landing zone, governance and migrations, which are not anything interesting for techies but good for the company revenue - it's AWS heavy consultancy(+80%). Azure and GCP is occasional. This reflects to people mentality and mindset too... 4. Career - internal promotions still occasional and there is no clear process around it. There is no internal job board. If you complain and have a good manager might get a promotion otherwise nothing happens

April 14, 2020

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We appreciate you mentioning our brilliant people, work / life balance, interesting project work, training opportunities, etc., but also recognize the fact that – as you also mentioned – our new leadership (and the company as a whole) has a lot of work left to do. It sounds like you think so too, especially around compensation/benefits, company culture, career development, and our long-term vision. As you noted, communicating an inspiring vision that unites the business forward has historically been a challenge for us (and most companies frankly), dating back to even our founder. It’s something we’ve noticed in our employee engagement survey results, so you’re not alone in that sentiment. We will continue the “open and honest” communication (thanks for that shout) and hopefully you will see signs of the action being taken not just on the long-term vision for Cloudreach, but the other challenges you mentioned as well.

"Feels like it was once a great company"

Former Employee - Cloud Systems Developer in London, England

I worked at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Uncapped leave. If you are able to take leave on a project then this can work out well, and many people get to take advantage of it - Training / Certs. Although the 1 day a week personal development is a bit of a fabrication (by the time you have run through meetings and other obligations you will be lucky to get a couple of hours in my experience), Cloudreach will invest in you getting certs if you put the time in - Flexibility. If the project allows it you will be able to WFH. When I had a personal issue my manager immediately told me to take off all the time I needed to recover.

Cons

- Cloud delivery feels directionless. The projects I have worked on have been pure bodyshopping for the most part, and I see no evidence of this changing - Attrition. Management can dress this up as much as they like, the fact remains that Cloudreach are losing many of their best and brightest employees and they cannot just replace them with new or recent hires - Benefits. I've worked at Cloudreach over a year now, and when I joined I was told that the benefits were being worked on. We still have no improvement (in fact they have got worse!). They claim to support women in tech and provide the legal minimum maternity leave . Pension is legal minimum, however they paid the recent 1% increase in pension contribution rather than taking it from the employee. - Bonus. Didn't pay a bonus this year because we didn't hit targets. The reason these targets weren't hit was largely due to poor management of resources, so basically staff actually working on delivery get punished for management issues. - Salary. The benefits could be forgiven if the salary was above market rate, however it is likely you are getting paid below market

October 28, 2019

Thanks for the feedback. We appreciate you taking note of our unlimited PTO policy, flexible work options, and training opportunities. It seems like the cons you mentioned are mainly around innovative project work and compensation & benefits. Definitions of bodyshop may vary, but we are not big enough, nor low cost enough, to sell in that way. We don’t currently have a large enough offshore presence to make real bodyshopping work like the GSIs, and we basically never sell in terms "would you like x people" (although sometimes the client can think like that, but we’ll forgive them). Having said that, we do sometimes take on projects where we don't have as much ownership as we'd like over outcome to see if we can build a relationship with the customer. This shouldn't be a long-term thing. The Customer Transformation Advisory is in large part created to mitigate this. Post our rebrand, we as a company are learning to shift conversations from projects to programs at pre-sales and help our customers see how we add value. Similarly, across the company we're working on productizing IP and process to try and add both ownership and value. Rest assured, opportunities for innovation still abound at Cloudreach. In terms of compensation, we’ve spent significant time this year implementing the People Fundamentals framework. One step of the program included using a professional consultancy to level the entire company through external professional market salary surveys and internal benchmarking, after which we made crucial market adjustments for those we felt were below market. As part of our Cloudy Deal (or employee value proposition), we’re building out our total rewards strategy, which has recently included a full benefits review. Finally, through our new Performance Elevation Process, we’ve also established a regular cycle of performance, development, and recognition to support everyone to grow and develop–including mid-management and all leaders–to balance individual contributions with the company’s overall performance. Thank you for your contribution at Cloudreach – we wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

"Just another underperforming MSP. Cloudreach is dead."

Former Employee - Cloud Systems Developer in London, England

I worked at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

People - you will meet some lovely people. You will meet some highly skilled people, though the top echelons are dwindling day by day. Despite the horrendous decline, there are still a few people in the business, whether technical, managerial or HR focussed who do care deeply, and are determined to turn it around. Those people are highly admirable and will be the ones who give you hope. If you're relatively inexperienced, this is a good first step if you're willing to put the effort in. Bear in mind that if you're underperforming, nobody will say a thing and you'll still pass probation, so the caveat is that you must be motivated to push yourself and seek out those individuals that enjoy being generous with their knowledge. Related to this - if you're an experienced engineer, but struggling to get AWS or Python on your CV, you could spend a year here. There's more skills to gain, but you'd be lucky to not end up on a general bodyshop project. I would say the perks are good but they're being diluted. You still get lunch on Fridays, which is a nice touch. Access to aCloud.guru and plenty of Udemy content. That's pretty cool, since you should come here and use the time to upskill ready for your next job which might even pay market rate. If its important to have a social/drinking culture, you'll find it here. There's usually plenty of opportunity for a drink or two. If you can just get by, come to work, do your hours and not really mind about doing something different or innovative then this is a good place to come and just get by.

Cons

The company is clearly in disarray, but there is a leadership team will not talk straight to colleagues. They will preach "transparency", but it is smoke and mirrors. You will get the opportunity to have Q&A with them, but everything will be answered with sheer denial, or "Yes we are aware and we really care. We're looking into it. Still." You will probably be body shopped onto a rather dull engagement doing the fundamental basics of cloud adoption. Talk of innovation is not something you will likely find yourself involved in. You will be told you're joining a company full of amazing talent. Truth is, if you're experienced, you'll probably be leant on constantly and find that next level of talent to work with. You might try to drive forward improvements but it'll be an uphill struggle, in which you may find yourself demotivated and burned out. Perks are being trimmed to save money. Everyone will be told how important it is to reduce costs. Then they will hire some more unnecessary management roles that generate no value (let alone revenue). Then they'll hire useful people too, but they'll sit on the bench for months waiting for a project. So while they still haven't got a mature benefits package, the cultural benefits are being eroded. Morale is through the floor. People are leaving in droves, particularly the highly skilled. Nobody seems to believe in any mission. The whole "Keep it Cloudy" cultural aspect is gone. You will be paid FAR less than you can get elsewhere for your skills. Not a little, but a lot. Plenty of people accept less in return for a happy work life with great culture. Once you realise that doesn't actually exist, you will wonder why you're here. You probably won't be rotated on engagements very often. You might not want to be, or risk being put on the bench to work on some dead end internal project. Promotion comes from throwing your toys out the pram or knowing the right person. Which explains the number of incompetent or under-experienced people in leadership positions. No real direction. Lots of talk from leadership of being "super excited" and being in "hypergrowth". Its all hollow. The things you've seen about Cloudreach being an amazing place to work mostly come from a few years ago. Sometimes you'll see some glowing reviews on here which sound suspiciously like they are written by someone who wants you to see it :) The leadership has taken the company in a direction where you are not part of the same team. They sit above you. You are numbers on a page. You are a means to their end. They make everything very formal (particularly if they are trying to shut you up), but not when it matters. If its something that affects you, then it depends on how they feel on the day.

October 23, 2019

Hi, Chris Bunch (General Manager - EMEA) here. Thanks for the feedback - and the positive things you take the time to call out around people, development and some of the benefits. I agree we’ve always generally hired really well for smart, friendly people who get on well with each other. I/we don’t agree with the strength of some of the comments in the Cons section, but thanks for taking the time to write it anyway - and for the suggestions on things to improve. We’re always moving fast, but equally always striving to do better. As you know, there’s no downside to giving direct feedback internally, so hopefully you were able to voice these concerns while you were at Cloudreach. We’ve acted on a lot of feedback we gotten recently, such as making our strategy clearer and understood by everyone, transparency on the big bets we’re taking in FY20, etc.

"Hyper growing into irrelevance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

My cons section reads as a catty (but fair) review – so here’s the things I’ve appreciated at my time at Cloudreach: • Above anything else is the social aspect. I’ve built some strong friendships with fun people, who I will always stay in touch with when we all leave. • I’ve operated with complete autonomy and carved out niches for myself with clients. • Kickoffs used to be great and extravagant. • If you want to learn, the onus is on you, and you can, with relative ease, go to conferences, do certifications etc. In addition, some people in senior positions are genuinely trying to fix the problems with the company. Managers are going through some training (although this doesn’t make up for lack of experience), Sales are being taught more tactics etc. In the future things may improve – but there’s no tangible incentive for an individual to stick it out and wait indefinitely.

Cons

I joined Cloudreach with the promise that the company was rife with opportunities, was growing organically (for the most part) and would provide me with a breadth of experience with the latest cloud technologies. Unfortunately, the reality that myself and many others experienced was the inverse. To understand the problems with the company, it’s best to look at what’s changed: • In 2017 Blackstone purchased Cloudreach for an undisclosed sum. Internally, this was marketed as a fantastic opportunity to accelerate the company’s growth, provide a wealth of external expertise/partnerships and provide stability. • To achieve the ROI in the timeframe required by Blackstone, ultimately the organisation had to change. The CEO was replaced, and diversification into more service-based offerings was ramped up, to improve cash flow liquidity, and eventually provide economies-of-scale. The result of the new direction has led to a lack of focus on what caused Cloudreach to grow in the first place – happy people -> happy customers. There used to be a strong emphasis on hiring high-quality, aspirational people, which in turn led to better projects, and more people wanting to join and work with like-minded individuals. The company has instead matured into a Microsoft-esque heavy sales/marketing and back-office-driven organisation, where sales teams have, at best, the technological understanding of how to turn on a television. This has led to “scraps” of clients being picked up, with uninspiring projects being available as a result. This eventually resulted in dire financial performance and the leadership team (or as they prefer to be known, “Executive Council”) pushing more sales targets down peoples’ throats, without actually engaging with the worker bees to understand the real long-term cost of going after low-quality opportunities. If you’re looking at the vast number of job-openings and wondering “are they growing amazingly well?” or “are they merely backfilling leavers?” the answer lies somewhere in the middle. With regards to growth – yes, the company is growing inorganically. Money is being thrown at hiring anyone who will apply – especially at junior levels. What you will receive (with some exceptions) is awful line management and some trendy perks, such as snacks in the office – somewhat useful as you’ll be sitting on the bench waiting for a project. If you must apply, I would advise spending an hour with your potential manager to ascertain if they can inspire you, and you can trust them.

June 28, 2019Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review. We value all feedback as we are continually seeking ways to improve. We appreciate a number of things you have raised here, and equally we wanted to address a couple of them. On the one hand, we are delighted to hear you have built strong friendships and gained valuable development experiences during your time at Cloudreach. A focus on our people, creating moments to connect with your fellow Cloudreachers, continuous learning opportunities have always been at the heart of our Cloudreach values and culture. We have been (and are) experiencing an incredible level of growth since we were founded, and this is set to continue in the future. To set us up for success, we’ve been pivoting in many areas. We appreciate at times that this may have felt unsettling and may have impacted some of the work you do day-to-day. We believe there is a bright future ahead and many exciting opportunities on the horizon. In terms of our trendy perks and nice offices not being enough to meet the needs of our consultants on the road, we hear you! We are very proud of our office spaces and comfortable work environments but we agree that first and foremost it is about how we service and solve problems for our Customers, and that our Cloudreachers want rewarding projects with industry impact as well as a broader suite of personalised benefits. Earlier in the year we clarified Our Cloudy deal which aims to meet the following elements - base your total compensation on the skills, knowledge and behaviours you bring to Cloudreach; aspire to provide flexible benefits, enabling you to achieve a work-life balance that helps you thrive; provide constant opportunities to take on new roles and grow with Cloudreach, as well as training, coaching and continuous feedback to boost your expertise and give you career-enhancing skills give you the opportunity to make a personal impact and deliver results that help grow our business and make a difference to our customers, our community and your colleagues We are building foundations to support this relating to people, processes, organisational design and functional aspects. This journey is heading in the right direction, however we appreciate this transformation has a ripple effect and going through growth means friction. We take everyone's feedback very seriously, discuss it at the most senior level and use it to keep improving and building momentum. We ask our people for feedback in all our internal communication mechanisms. We encourage you to share your thoughts, struggles and constructive feedback with us internally. Together, we shape the future. We will take your feedback onboard and use it to refine and focus our approach.

"Used to be great - becoming a boring corporate machine which lacks innovation"

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time

Pros

Still some good people left Flexible working hours and holiday benefits are good

Cons

Culture diminishing - hiring bar has lowered in both a technical and social capacity. Trying to meet aggressive recruitment targets set by new leadership who don't grasp what made the company successful and differentiated it from competitors. Lots of the fun perks are quickly disappearing - no quarterly trips Leadership are very closed about the real company strategy - founders used to be open about what was happening - the new corporate leaders just make vague meaningless statements now. Pay is below market rate People get mistreated - extra efforts go unnoticed. Engineers now often get left on projects for long periods of time in a bodyshop capacity. Longer standing employees get rewarded less than new joiners who are less experienced. Most of the projects the company has are using older less innovative areas of Cloud technology which means you don't learn new skills as much as if you worked somewhere more progressive like Cloudreach used to be. In some cases Cloudreach is struggling to remain far enough ahead of its customers Cloud proficiency to add strategic value. Took over 1 year (and still counting) to work on restructuring the company and halted a lot of the previous opportunities of career progression in the meantime - Cloudreach didn't care that lots of good people left during that time and those losses are beginning to show.

April 3, 2019Head of Cloudreach Europe

Thanks for the note, pleased to hear you generally like the benefits and the people we hire. We like to reply to feedback where we can, although it’s always difficult doing so anonymously. I’ll pick a few of your points below, and try to answer/respond: - Hiring bar. My belief is this is more perception than reality, likely linked to many new faces as we grow. I joined the company at around 10 people, so being at 800 plus is also a change for me - although one I’m enjoying, ;-) Generally it’s Cloudreach’s more experienced folks that handle our interviews, and I know they are as picky as ever (and so they should be, this is part of what makes us different). There’s no agenda to lower that bar, that wouldn’t make sense for anyone. We *are* definitely hiring a lot of people though - all of whom still pass difficult “domain” interviews, alongside the usual cloud panel check on cultural fit. - Quarterly trip. That’s a fair one - when we were a smaller organisation, it was logistically and cost-wise still possible to do this around calendar Q1. Now we’re a bit bigger, we took a decision this year at least to focus the effort and money elsewhere around benefits. We did still of course organise local events + parties in each city, and are gathering feedback formally around what worked + didn’t. - On the point about being closed on Strategy, that’s definitely not intentional. We’ve always tried to be open on all fronts, and I suspect communicate about who we are and what we do a lot more than most companies - BUT - sounds like we can do better. What type of thing would you like to hear about? Submit it through the TGIF Q form, or have a chat to your team lead, please. - You raise a couple of salary points - which I hope have been addressed in the recent rounds of benchmarking. But if not, your team lead would be a good place to start for a conversation if not already done. The Employee Engagement team can help with discussions after that. - On the “new skills” point, we’d love to help you (and others interested) work on something that’s of interest to you. Are you talking to your team lead on this? Sounds like you’ve got some good ideas we should be looking at. If that’s not getting the result you’d like, please talk to your ‘engine’ leader directly with some ideas. I was chatting to someone about tensorflow in space earlier for (very!) remote Edge devices, definitely interesting things going on, depending on what you're looking for. If we can get some specifics, I’m certain we can make some progress in the areas you’d like. I agree entirely with this sentiment: “the people are your greatest asset”. Chris

"An incredible place to work"

5.0

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time

Pros

Tl;dr: I love working at Cloudreach. The people are great. Anyone who’s interviewed here knows it’s hard, and we get it right on the whole. That means smart, energetic people who want to make sh*t happen, in all parts of the business. I love that. That energy and drive needed to grow and adapt year and year isn’t seen in most companies. I've met a lot of people here I regard as friends, which is the best indicator perhaps of cultural fit. Linked to the people, I love the culture. People are friendly, and the company tries hard to foster matrix relationships - with cloudy lunches, quarterly/kick off trips, birthday parties, etc all frequent and way more inclusive than one sees at other organisations. I saw some comments last weeks that most companies have “sales kick offs”. We take the whole company, which I think is critical to our culture. On the “work” side, I enjoy the fact we have a pretty broad spread of clients across multiple industries, and of all shapes and sizes. I also love that we are success, and continue to be the leaders in most things that we do. Salary and benefits are pretty good - increasing year on year, although we’re not quite there vs. a multi-billion dollar “GSI” yet - but equally, this is a much more pleasant and dynamic place to work - in my view, pretty much free of the politics and nonsense you see elsewhere.

Cons

Is it hard work, as others have noted? It certainly can be. That’s what happens when you grow a company, but I feel we’re doing it in the “right” way - e.g. if I can’t do something due to time and flag that up, it’s fine. No one stays late to impress their boss - but they may work late because they care about achieving something. The working arrangements are pretty flexible I should say, depending on whether you’re with a client or not. Having said that, it’s not for everyone. If you want to work somewhere relatively static, and with clear well documented processes, that’s not here right now. Cloud is red hot, and we’re growing fast as we capitalise on this (before someone else does). Linked to that growth, people do (accidentally) step on each other’s toes a bit in terms of remit currently. That’ll settle down as the roles bed in, but you should bear it in mind if you prefer a really clean and well documented role vs. other people. I don’t recognise the issues being written previously - makes me wonder sometimes if it’s another company they’re writing about accidentally (or intentionally!), but at 500 people, I guess we can’t all know each other well. What I do know is that I’ve spoken to several of the leadership team, from Pontus down, and all are committed to making/keeping this a great place to work - so please do shout up to one of them, they can probably help with whatever challenges you can see. Claiming that CloudreachCares doesn’t exist (as an example) was one thing I read last week. That’s utter BS - we’ve given thousands in both monetary and time commitments to charity. I agree the suggestion process could be clearer and maybe we need to be more transparent in terms of what’s been given, but just “get involved” rather than posting some bile on the internet. It’s easy to solve, like most things in life, with a conversation.

Continue reading

"Visionaries on the right path"

4.0
    Not Applicable in London, England

I worked at Cloudreach

Pros

Well run company Leaders generally care about employees Fun social events There is always someone to go for a beer with Great central location Food in the office Company phone for everyone Established processes even for a small business

Cons

Cloud can be a bit dull and overly hyped Still establishing who they are Employees may feel like commodities if out on the field too long Pay is not competitive

Continue reading

"This was the startup version of Flight 302"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cloudreach has very good health benefits and their timeoff policy is awesome. Cloudreach embraces working remotely so you are able to work wherever you want as long as you can get the job done.

Cons

When I started at Cloudreach, it was the single best company I had worked for. When I left, it was just another mid-market consultancy. Let’s find out how we got here. Originally, Cloudreach was European (British to be specific) in presence and in culture. In 2017, Blackstone (major private equity firm) took a majority interest in Cloudreach and Cloudreach became a subsidiary of Blackstone. I signed on with Cloudreach after the acquisition, so I am not able to speak on what Cloudreach was like pre-acquisition. In the summer of 2018, Cloudreach acquired another cloud consultancy named Relus Cloud to add to Cloudreach's consultancy, add to Cloudreach's North American sales team, and to provide North American leadership that Cloudreach lacked because it was European in origin. In a nutshell, this acquisition went terribly and by the August of 2019 most of Relus' leadership that was brought in had been fired. You're probably asking, at this point, why were they fired so quickly? I mean, they didn't even get a full calendar year to show what they could offer to Cloudreach. They were THAT BAD. Given that Cloudreach didn't have a fully fleshed out sales team in North America pre-acquisition, Relus leadership was given the task of building one. The two stooges hired their frat buddies (and their attractive sorority friends) to fill the empty positions on Cloudreach's sales team. In general, these new employees were woefully unqualified and I'll list below exactly how they were unqualified. -The SA (Solution Architecture) team had obviously not worked in the trenches for over 10 years. The team was scoping projects that were impossible to deliver. They would scope to the scenario the client was dreaming of, they wouldn't scope to a realistic scenario. Of course, they didn't know the client's scenario was a dream scenario because they didn't know enough about cloud products to realize what was really going on. -The sales/SA teams also didn't have a full understanding of the product offerings from Cloudreach. This would cause client expectations to not be met as the products that were being sold didn't exist. -Relus' sales team doesn't know how to nail a deal. Before the Relus acquisition, Cloudreach had awesome projects that challenged our engineering team and allowed us to be creative with our solutions. Afterwards, all we received was staff augmentation projects because that's what AWS Pro-serve has to offer. Yes, you heard that right. -They had no idea on how to sell Azure projects (or GCP for that matter). Relus was an AWS shop and that's what they knew. -I'm not someone who would be considered "PC" (quite the opposite actually), but the culture at Relus was not appropriate for the 21st century. I'm not going to go into detail mainly because this review will get flagged if I do, but ask around. There are some great stories (you should ask what happened at the duck bowling event). Anyways, enough about that unpleasant topic and on to a new unpleasant topic. Fast forward to the end of 2019 and Cloudreach had not ONE but TWO rounds of layoffs (even after we were told the first round was the last). What had happened was, Cloudreach wasn't bringing in enough business and Cloudreach had to restructure because they weren't able to have half the company riding the bench. After the first round, the exodus of Cloudreachers that started in May, had accelerated. Those that left were the smart ones, because a fair amount of those that stayed were laid off later in 2019. We also had an awful ONE DAY retreat (that they flew the entire NA to Atlanta for) in which I spent most of my time talking to my soon-to-be former coworkers about what jobs we were applying to. Aaron spent more time talking about the history of electricity (?) than he did talking about the company's fiscal performance. THEY SPENT TWO SLIDES ON FISCAL PERFORMANCE. Aaron basically told the crowd that we lost tens of millions of dollars this year and then moved on to the next slide talking about how we were so much better than Slalom and the like because "they're old companies and we're a young company". And, this is where my Cloudreach story ends. I'll respond to a couple comments from earlier reviews below because I think they were very disingenuous. Oh, and Aaron Painter is hands down the worst CEO I have ever worked under. I don't think he's a bad guy (or robot), but he had no idea what he was doing and it showed. CEO rankings: Pontus>Don Blankenship>Aaron Painter Tldr; Cloudreach was a cool company that got acquired and crashed. Here's those disingenuous comments I mentioned earlier: - Restructuring happened recently so there was a layoff which is normal for most businesses. Ohhhhh man, of COURSE this statement came from a sales guy. These sort of layoffs are normal for a business like Sears, not normal for a stable company. What makes this statement so rich, is that it came from the team responsible for the layoffs in the first place. Our engineering teams were solid, it was sales that was (and is) the problem -- As above, some of the leadership roles were poorly filled from summer 2018 onwards, and you'll have seen that in Glassdoor ratings. That's now been fixed, and people more culturally aligned to the business are in role. That's now been fixed? As of December 2019, most of the same C-level employees that were employed at the beginning of the year are still there. With the exception of a few "heads of" that got laid off in November, I really don't know what you're talking about besides Aaron getting rightfully fired. - The company is transparent about where they're headed and how they're performing (as much as is possible, and certainly more than most) When exactly has the "EC" (I can't bring myself to say Executive Council, it sounds so stupid) been transparent? They told us that the round of layoffs in August was the only round of layoffs and then they turned around in November and laid off 100s of people. I mean, if your argument is that they're more transparent than they used to be, that's fair. That's a pretty low bar though.

Found 18 reviews