Cloudreach Employee Reviews about "cloudreach"

Updated Jan 13, 2021

Found 77 of over 372 reviews

3.6
Cloudreach President and COO Brooks Borcherding
Brooks Borcherding
Pros
  • "They head to the top company's which reflects how much they learned while at Cloudreach(in 74 reviews)

• "a good place to work, work-life balance is great(in 35 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Growing pains that come with every org growing at this rate, but leadership is working hard to implement processes that help the org scale(in 20 reviews)

• "Career progression and structured feedback is often lacking(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

60 Comments

Tech

234.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Cloudreach~439504
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "cloudreach"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fantastic people, support, opportunity.

Feb 19, 2020 - Senior Cloud Systems Developer in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cloudreach has a number of serious positives: * Great Engineers to learn from in all Cloud areas. * A huge focus on training, certification and Personal Development (Paid Pdev time) * Great working environments (offices, food, drink etc) * Management who listen and adapt * Great opportunity to grow professionally * A diverse and interesting client base in a wide range of business areas. * An uncanny ability to hire great people who quickly become great friends. * Uncapped Holidays

Cons

* Newer higher spec laptops would be great.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

It's not what you know but who you know

Oct 14, 2020 - Cloud Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Uncapped holidays, try get them booked in as early as possible since its first come first serve - Free food in the kitchen - Free lunches - Study days if you're allowed to take them - Great people in Cloudreach

Cons

- Extremely long working hours (9-6) - Need to do oncall (short rotations) - Work weekend shifts (also short rotations) - Not a lot of interesting work / project work unless you're a favourite - Salary amongst the team differ a lot, if you don't ask you won't get a payrise

4 people found this review helpful
    3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

From unique slowly became just another consultancy

Mar 3, 2020 - Cloud Architect in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

It can be a good opportunity to learn about cloud if you end up on the few interesting projects. There are still some talent (however attrition is high). There are some turn in the last couple of months since the renewed SLT. Communication is open and honest on the situation and the planned actions. The new senior management still has a lot to proof on the execution. They recently started to promote some positions internally. Benefits: - uncapped holiday if you can agree with your boss, PM and the customer - cloudy lunch - discounted healthcare insurance (not anything attractive ) - remote work if client agrees - online learning opportunities - related certifications covered by the company

Cons

The former SLT lead by Aaron Painter drove the company to a disaster ( note, the vision of becoming a software company came from the former CEO/owner Pontus and the board not from Aaron. He failed on execution but the vision had many flaws as it ignored the fact that the strength of the company are the people and their technical consultancy skills) The short term focus is on revenue and reaching 0 or at least minimal profitability which is understandable after the disaster caused by former SLT but longer term vision is blur at best or simply not defined/existing atm. It's not a market leader in the MSP space any more just another consultancy struggling to balance budget. 1. Compensation/benefits: - no regular salary/compensation reviews( you might join with a reasonable salary but it never gets reviewed) - pension scheme is not anything attractive - based on recent cost and 100% utilization focus its just a question of time when the next benefit will be taken away - 4h/wk personal development time is not guarantied any more as 100% utilization is the priority 2. People, Culture - if there was anything like Cloudreach unique culture, that's gone. - People treated really bad during the several recent layoffs last year and that has been mostly done by the new management... - it's more of a blame culture these days, not collaborative any more - attrition is still high and long time cloudreachers leaving company - Quarterlies which helped to build bond between the offices are long gone - company still struggling to eat its own dog food: internal templating, reusing artefacts, automation, tool integration is not really exists - team events are non existing 3. work - the bulk of new work are cloud landing zone, governance and migrations, which are not anything interesting for techies but good for the company revenue - it's AWS heavy consultancy(+80%). Azure and GCP is occasional. This reflects to people mentality and mindset too... 4. Career - internal promotions still occasional and there is no clear process around it. There is no internal job board. If you complain and have a good manager might get a promotion otherwise nothing happens

19 people found this review helpful

Cloudreach Response

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We appreciate you mentioning our brilliant people, work / life balance, interesting project work, training opportunities, etc., but also recognize the fact that – as you also mentioned – our new leadership (and the company as a whole) has a lot of work left to do. It sounds like you think so too, especially around compensation/benefits, company culture, career development, and our long-term vision. As you noted, communicating an inspiring vision that unites the business forward has historically been a challenge for us (and most companies frankly), dating back to even our founder. It’s something we’ve noticed in our employee engagement survey results, so you’re not alone in that sentiment. We will continue the “open and honest” communication (thanks for that shout) and hopefully you will see signs of the action being taken not just on the long-term vision for Cloudreach, but the other challenges you mentioned as well.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

GREAT COMPANY

Jan 23, 2020 - SDR in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cloudreach are the leaders for morden day working. you can work from home anytime you want and you can work however suits you best. Everyone is willing to help. The new CEO has really seemed to spark life into the company. Leadership are very transparent on the company performance and direction.

Cons

Please keep the momentum going

Be the first to find this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Through Growth Comes Opportunity, a Great Company!

Jan 8, 2020 - General Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked with Cloudreach for 9 years, joined as employee number 7 (the company is circa 900 ish now). It's been a remarkable ride, I've worked in 5 roles, lived in two countries, made great friends, learnt a ton and moved my career forward in leaps and bounds. At it's heart, Cloudreach is a great technology company. It was born in 2009 at the start of the public cloud boom, leveraging close relationships with AWS, Google Cloud and Microsoft Azure. Those same partnerships are core to the companies strategy today. If you are looking for somewhere to grow your technical career, it's a good choice. Large complex projects with interesting customers. My advice would be to embrace a fast moving business, keep an open mind and see where you can grow your own career, something which is much easier at Cloudreach than many other places I've worked.

Cons

This last year has been tough (if you read some of the recent reviews), the company grew headcount aggressively and doubled down it's commitment to software (via Cloudamize). Growth doesn't come without it's pain points, it's hard to get it all right all the time. That said the foundations are solid, the vision is clearer than ever before and will provide future opportunity if you are thinking of joining. The recent appointment of Brooks Borcherding is a great move, he's a natural leader and I'm sure will do well during this next phase of development.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee

A great place to learn if you want to move fast

Dec 24, 2019 - Anonymous
      Business Outlook

Pros

- You will learn a lot. The world moves fast in cloud computing, and especially at Cloudreach. This applies across functions, it doesn't really matter if you're in "tech" or not. Don't be afraid to put your hand up and ask for more to do/different things to do...you'll probably get it - Cloud computing, and Cloudreach, is a great thing to have on your CV for the future should you want to do something else - The company hires well (bar some mis-steps in management in 2018/19, which have been corrected - well done). You'll work with smart, friendly people who want to make it happen. People who do leave, frequently come back for social events as they realise their new place of work doesn't hire people as nice - There are plenty of opportunities to work in different locations - You'll be part of an organisation that is generally very successful in what they set out to do - The company is transparent about where they're headed and how they're performing (as much as is possible, and certainly more than most)

Cons

- As above, some of the leadership roles were poorly filled from summer 2018 onwards, and you'll have seen that in Glassdoor ratings. That's now been fixed, and people more culturally aligned to the business are in role. There's a lot less corporate cheese as a result, and more action - Probably still a few people unsettled by prior changes, but that will calm down - Some systems aren't slick and smooth as they could be in an ideal world - Compensation process, and a few HR things generally, are a little clunky. Also, the company isn't rolling in money (intentionally through growth, as I interpret it), but pays fairly - although you'll earn more at Google, Facebook, etc of course

4 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Leadership value profit over people

Nov 3, 2019 - Learning And Development Specialist in Edinburgh, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

When I joined Cloudreach, the company was committed to doing things differently, and putting the employees first. There was an understanding that having an engaged and committed workforce would lead to having a successful business. Cloudreach had values that every employee lived and breathed. The culture was infectious which made going to work each day a joy, rather than a drag. This made a noticeable difference both internally, and externally to customers. Cloudreach challenged employees to think differently, experiment and not be afraid of failure. This allowed Cloudreachers to push the boundaries and develop super-creative solutions to difficult problems. Personally, I was able to be involved in a huge variety of projects that gave me so much exposure and experience. This allowed me to develop in my role at a rapid pace. I gained so much valuable experience in my 2.5 years at Cloudreach, that is feels more like 25 years. I can take away a huge amount of learning from Cloudreach that will allow me to excel in my next role. I will certainly be taking some of the original Cloudreach culture and ethos with me.

Cons

Over my time at Cloudreach, I noticed a huge decline in the culture. Cloudreach is now moving towards ‘off-the-shelf’ for everything. Cloudreachers are no longer required (or given the opportunity) to think creatively. The leadership is out-of-touch and unaccepting of challenge where it would have previously been welcomed. Now, any challenge to leadership decisions seems to result in a mark against your name and a constant, unwinnable battle. Cloudreachers who challenge leadership are “problems” to be mitigated rather than assets to be valued. Often decisions would be made for a line of work to progress. Many Cloudreachers would be working on a project, and then somewhere down the line a seemingly arbitrary decision would be made to halt the project. No explanation or justification would be given, and the past 6, 12, 18 months work would be rendered pointless. This came down to Leadership not having a clear vision and not understanding what was happening on the ground. Compensation at Cloudreach is poor. Despite having an entire team dedicated to improving this for over two years, no improvements have been made and numerous deadlines for a compensation review have been missed. Many Cloudreachers, including myself, were happy to overlook this delay as we felt valued in other ways. However, it is clear that Cloudreach are moving away from caring about their employees, in an effort to “put-the-customer-first”. It now seems that the only objective is to make as much money as possible, without caring about what damage is done to the company on the journey. As a result, many Cloudreachers have been left feeling undervalued as well as underpaid.

44 people found this review helpful

Cloudreach Response

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We appreciate you taking note of our cloudy perks like Friday lunches and recognising our talented Cloudreachers. We think they’re masters! And yes, we do love slack, but hey, we like to move fast - who doesn’t love a giphy or emoji, right? It’s true that we’re not so small anymore. We’re proud to have grown into a global organisation - we cherish our British roots, and equally love how we’ve expanded our impact across the world. And that’s just our office locations. We’re even more proud that we have people from many cultures in our Cloudy family. We experienced a lot of growth and change in 2019, which meant our offices started to fill up and our leadership team evolved. We’ve taken steps to adapt how we do things and we are taking forward what is best in our Cloudy Values so that we stay one step ahead and succeed together. We might not always get it right, and even when we do, we’re always working at making that happen. To say that our utilisation expectation is 95% is a bit unfair though. If you felt this was the case, we’re sorry to hear it and we hope you shared this with your manager before you left. Thank you for being part of our team - we wish you all the best on your next adventure!

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Feels like it was once a great company

Oct 9, 2019 - Cloud Systems Developer in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Uncapped leave. If you are able to take leave on a project then this can work out well, and many people get to take advantage of it - Training / Certs. Although the 1 day a week personal development is a bit of a fabrication (by the time you have run through meetings and other obligations you will be lucky to get a couple of hours in my experience), Cloudreach will invest in you getting certs if you put the time in - Flexibility. If the project allows it you will be able to WFH. When I had a personal issue my manager immediately told me to take off all the time I needed to recover.

Cons

- Cloud delivery feels directionless. The projects I have worked on have been pure bodyshopping for the most part, and I see no evidence of this changing - Attrition. Management can dress this up as much as they like, the fact remains that Cloudreach are losing many of their best and brightest employees and they cannot just replace them with new or recent hires - Benefits. I've worked at Cloudreach over a year now, and when I joined I was told that the benefits were being worked on. We still have no improvement (in fact they have got worse!). They claim to support women in tech and provide the legal minimum maternity leave . Pension is legal minimum, however they paid the recent 1% increase in pension contribution rather than taking it from the employee. - Bonus. Didn't pay a bonus this year because we didn't hit targets. The reason these targets weren't hit was largely due to poor management of resources, so basically staff actually working on delivery get punished for management issues. - Salary. The benefits could be forgiven if the salary was above market rate, however it is likely you are getting paid below market

15 people found this review helpful

Cloudreach Response

Thanks for the feedback. We appreciate you taking note of our unlimited PTO policy, flexible work options, and training opportunities. It seems like the cons you mentioned are mainly around innovative project work and compensation & benefits. Definitions of bodyshop may vary, but we are not big enough, nor low cost enough, to sell in that way. We don’t currently have a large enough offshore presence to make real bodyshopping work like the GSIs, and we basically never sell in terms "would you like x people" (although sometimes the client can think like that, but we’ll forgive them). Having said that, we do sometimes take on projects where we don't have as much ownership as we'd like over outcome to see if we can build a relationship with the customer. This shouldn't be a long-term thing. The Customer Transformation Advisory is in large part created to mitigate this. Post our rebrand, we as a company are learning to shift conversations from projects to programs at pre-sales and help our customers see how we add value. Similarly, across the company we're working on productizing IP and process to try and add both ownership and value. Rest assured, opportunities for innovation still abound at Cloudreach. In terms of compensation, we’ve spent significant time this year implementing the People Fundamentals framework. One step of the program included using a professional consultancy to level the entire company through external professional market salary surveys and internal benchmarking, after which we made crucial market adjustments for those we felt were below market. As part of our Cloudy Deal (or employee value proposition), we’re building out our total rewards strategy, which has recently included a full benefits review. Finally, through our new Performance Elevation Process, we’ve also established a regular cycle of performance, development, and recognition to support everyone to grow and develop–including mid-management and all leaders–to balance individual contributions with the company’s overall performance. Thank you for your contribution at Cloudreach – we wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

9. 5.0

I Love This Company.

Sep 12, 2019 - Csd
      Business Outlook

Pros

In my 24 year career, I've never before worked at a place where management is more engaged, more transparent, or tries harder than at Cloudreach. Sure, it's not perfect, but welcome to the real world. In my time here so far, I've worked on several really cool projects for clients, and the people I work with are smart and they care about me and care about doing great work. There is a love of engineering and technology, and my colleagues are constantly innovating in the work we get to deliver. Management has a clear strategy for the company, and the mission is about making other people great and doing it with technology. When my former colleagues talk about their jobs elsewhere and I talk about mine, they are jealous about what it's like for me at Cloudreach.

Cons

This is my first time on this site and I so surprised to read negative reviews, that I felt compelled to write something about my experience, because it is nothing like I read here. It's not a perfect company, but I've worked at enough places to know that no company is perfect.

5 people found this review helpful

Cloudreach Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words!

10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

The downward spiral continues... if culture is important to you then think twice

Sep 10, 2019 - Project Manager in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Still *some* good people... but they are leaving in droves - Office managers do their best to make the offices nice places to work - Flexible working if agreed with your manager

Cons

- Management are completely disconnected from the rest of the company. Top-down communications are terrible and leave people confused as to what the message actually is. Decisions are made and forced upon people, then swept under the carpet when leaders realise it was the wrong move, with no acknowledgement of their mistakes. - Cloudreach culture is dead. The amazing culture was the reason that I, and many people, joined the company but management has made it clear that they don't think it's important and focus on culture has gone from 100 to 0. We used to have amazing values that everybody could get behind but that is no longer the case. Fun events that let Cloudreachers meet and bond have been canned in favour of corporate town halls full of jargon and opaque 'business updates'. - Things are promised and not delivered on. A new people framework was launched and only did about 50% of the things it said it would, and not very well! Transparency was promised but the majority of people are still confused about their career paths, reward and benefits. - I've seen a real decline in how people are treated at Cloudreach. When I joined I could say without hesitation that it was a people business above all else, now I cannot say that. Colleagues who have put so much into this company have not been given the kudos and respect they deserve, and in fact have been treated very poorly and left out in the cold. It feels like Cloudreach simply doesn't care about people anymore.

28 people found this review helpful

Cloudreach Response

Hi, Beth Clutterbuck (CPO) here. Culture is incredibly important to us at Cloudreach. Values so much so that we spent 6 months evolving our values through a bottom up approach with the help of Culture Champions (everyday Cloudreachers who are passionate about Keeping it Cloudy) to ensure that our evolved values were beliefs that everyone could get behind. A selection of our Culture Champions unveiled the new values during our Company Kickoff and our next step is to embed them in everything we do. People are already using them in everyday situations - which is great to see. The kickoff was an opportunity to share our mission, ambition, values, strategy and how we plan to measure them in plain language - free of jargon. It was also an opportunity to build networks and community - and have a pretty fun time too. We are indeed rolling out a new people framework - and since January this year we have created job descriptions and competencies for every role, benchmarked all jobs externally, created a job grid transparent on our Wiki, built salary ranges and implemented a new global Performance Elevation Process. Our FY19 ratings are being shared and discussed now and our FY20 objectives and key results begin cascading shortly. We have rebuilt our HRIS and are providing updated functionality in a series of sprints - sometimes as frequently as weekly. Has everything always gone smoothly - no it has not. Is there more to do? Absolutely. Have we tried our hardest to be transparent - Yes. We agree there is much more to be done, especially clarity on reward and benefits, and those are the areas next in focus. We would love to discuss with your personally your ideas on how we can do better in all these areas.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 77 Reviews