Cloudreach Employee Reviews about "cloudy lunch"

Updated 30 Jul 2020

3.4
Cloudreach President and COO Brooks Borcherding
Brooks Borcherding
Pros
  • "Cloudy lunch - Every Friday - The team goes out to have lunch together(in 30 reviews)

• "Great work/life balance and flexibility(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains that come with every org growing at this rate, but leadership is working hard to implement processes that help the org scale(in 19 reviews)

• "Cloud Operations is an outrageous mess(in 18 reviews)

Reviews about "cloudy lunch"

Return to all Reviews

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great projects Work Life balance Passionate coworkers Open communication from leadership Amazing quarterlies and Friday cloudy lunches Diversity and inclusion Excellent career progression

Cons

No cons to mention specifically

"Very bumpy 2019 Q3/Q4 - changes in place 2020, hopefully for the better"

2.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Cloudy Lunches / Professional exams paid / Uncapped holiday * New Leaders in place for 2020 (CEO and Cloud Strategists with solid industry experience, although not consultancy) * Evidence of coherent GTM strategy underpinned by simple, effective marketing campaigns

Cons

The 2nd half of 2019 was very bumpy for Cloudreach - the CEO was replaced and profitability was red flagged by the PE owners. Some of the elements below shed more light; - General lack of marketing team, experience and capability with an inside out mentality favoured - Hiring spree to grow business without supporting strategy around pipeline generation. CSP partner relationships not actively managed or leveraged effectively - Limited success shifting from PS to MSP and ISV (for improved PE resale valuation) with a real lack of actual LT experience in these new areas - Sales team incentivised x3 and x5 in these new areas, ignoring PS core strength. The result, a PS pipeline with a 10 week backlog to zero over 2019 resulting in significant benchtime. - Leadership Team were hamstrung by groupthink - concensus favoured over effective decision making. Whilst the CEO has been replaced , its unfair to blame him for all the strategic shortcomings. Its fair however to say he was not strong enough to lead a large and misaligned LT. - Formalisation of career progression framework was a carcrash led by HR, who refused to listen to employee feedback. Programme constantly over-promised and under delivered, resulting in frustration and extensive resignations of many excellent technical people - Business and capacity planning was poorly done year after year, with insufficient data, relying on guesswork. - Project profitability was not understood or actively managed, due to a lack of LT experience working for a consultancy business. Projects often underscoped and over-promised by sales behaviour and lack of sales governance (deal desk introduction). Some deals would overun by 12 months or more, without robust contract protection. As a result, the inability to make a profit triggered a red light for PE owners, causing at least 10% of employees to be made redundant globally in 2019 in 3 tranches. This had an understandable knock-on effect on established talent deciding to leave the business. Hopefully 2020 will see a cementing of the great Cloudreach culture and establishment of a business people want to stay at and clients flock to for Cloud expertise.

"From unique slowly became just another consultancy"

Current Employee - Cloud Architect in London, England

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

It can be a good opportunity to learn about cloud if you end up on the few interesting projects. There are still some talent (however attrition is high). There are some turn in the last couple of months since the renewed SLT. Communication is open and honest on the situation and the planned actions. The new senior management still has a lot to proof on the execution. They recently started to promote some positions internally. Benefits: - uncapped holiday if you can agree with your boss, PM and the customer - cloudy lunch - discounted healthcare insurance (not anything attractive ) - remote work if client agrees - online learning opportunities - related certifications covered by the company

Cons

The former SLT lead by Aaron Painter drove the company to a disaster ( note, the vision of becoming a software company came from the former CEO/owner Pontus and the board not from Aaron. He failed on execution but the vision had many flaws as it ignored the fact that the strength of the company are the people and their technical consultancy skills) The short term focus is on revenue and reaching 0 or at least minimal profitability which is understandable after the disaster caused by former SLT but longer term vision is blur at best or simply not defined/existing atm. It's not a market leader in the MSP space any more just another consultancy struggling to balance budget. 1. Compensation/benefits: - no regular salary/compensation reviews( you might join with a reasonable salary but it never gets reviewed) - pension scheme is not anything attractive - based on recent cost and 100% utilization focus its just a question of time when the next benefit will be taken away - 4h/wk personal development time is not guarantied any more as 100% utilization is the priority 2. People, Culture - if there was anything like Cloudreach unique culture, that's gone. - People treated really bad during the several recent layoffs last year and that has been mostly done by the new management... - it's more of a blame culture these days, not collaborative any more - attrition is still high and long time cloudreachers leaving company - Quarterlies which helped to build bond between the offices are long gone - company still struggling to eat its own dog food: internal templating, reusing artefacts, automation, tool integration is not really exists - team events are non existing 3. work - the bulk of new work are cloud landing zone, governance and migrations, which are not anything interesting for techies but good for the company revenue - it's AWS heavy consultancy(+80%). Azure and GCP is occasional. This reflects to people mentality and mindset too... 4. Career - internal promotions still occasional and there is no clear process around it. There is no internal job board. If you complain and have a good manager might get a promotion otherwise nothing happens

April 14, 2020

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We appreciate you mentioning our brilliant people, work / life balance, interesting project work, training opportunities, etc., but also recognize the fact that – as you also mentioned – our new leadership (and the company as a whole) has a lot of work left to do. It sounds like you think so too, especially around compensation/benefits, company culture, career development, and our long-term vision. As you noted, communicating an inspiring vision that unites the business forward has historically been a challenge for us (and most companies frankly), dating back to even our founder. It’s something we’ve noticed in our employee engagement survey results, so you’re not alone in that sentiment. We will continue the “open and honest” communication (thanks for that shout) and hopefully you will see signs of the action being taken not just on the long-term vision for Cloudreach, but the other challenges you mentioned as well.

"There is no job security and career progression. Management in the UK is despicable!!"

1.0

I worked at Cloudreach

Pros

Unlimited holidays and Cloudy lunch on Fridays.

Cons

There is no pipeline, women are generally disrespected, inappropriate behaviour is condoned if account managers are making or exceeding targets. If you’re a seasoned professional this is not the place for you and if you’ve just started off in your career this environment will not provide you with the tools to succeed. There is no career or personal growth. The good employees have left and the remaining good employees continue to resign. One manager even stated that it’s easy to get rid of employees who have worked for the company under two years. Horrible place to work!! Only the people who have worked at the company for over 7 years continue to delude themselves that it’s an excellent place to work. It’s a hostile and negative work environment !!

March 27, 2020

Hi there, Tara here (Chief People Officer at Cloudreach). Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We’re surprised to hear you feel women are generally disrespected, as data from our employee engagement surveys suggests otherwise. We pride ourselves on being a place where everyone can feel respected, so we take statements like this seriously. We don't tolerate disrespectful behaviour, especially from our managers who have extra responsibility to lead the culture we want. We’re committed to looking into this and making sure this is not the case. For any serious concerns like these, we encourage our people to share their specific concerns in confidence so they can be investigated – either via a member of the People team and/or our confidential Cloudreach Whistleblower Hotline.

"Chaos and lack of support / direction"

2.0

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

- "Cloudy Lunch" on Fridays. if you are lucky enough to avoid having someone schedule a meeting over the top of that time slot. - Some remnants of the old "Cloudy Culture" still remain

Cons

- No clear leadership direction. - Significant recent reduction in headcount; but still growing the work / customer portfolio whilst running on a bare minimum of staff. Not back-filling attrition. - No clear career progression - No bonuses / salary reviews or rises / other reward scheme - No overtime (but people are expected to work regardless)

February 20, 2020

Hey there, thanks for dropping us a review. Given you’ve been with us for some time, you’ll know firsthand that we experienced a lot of change last year, including shifts in our leadership. Looks like you approve of our new CEO though, which is a great start. We choose to view the change we experienced with optimism and believe that the forming of a new leadership team presents an opportunity to step back, regroup, and make sure everyone is aligned on the path ahead. The way we’re setting ourselves up for the future is also sure to open new career opportunities for you personally, and those willing to put in the work will certainly be the ones who reap the rewards. Last year we needed to take steps to right-size our business, but we’re already seeing positive signs that show we’re back on track – and hope you’re starting to see them, too. In terms of conflicting meetings during Cloudy Lunch: that’s frustrating and should be avoided, we’re 100% with you on that one!

"Excellent people, great technology, good perks; lacking in long-term strategic management and transparency"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Cloudreach full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people here are incredible. They will help you and support your growth and development, and there is very much a collaborative atmosphere across most of the teams. Cloudy lunch, snacks and other perks help to boost morale and keep you going. Flexible working encouraged where possible. Most managers give team members a lot of autonomy. The tech is awesome. When things are going well for the company it's a great place to be.

Cons

Lack of transparency with regards to the company strategy, restructuring and redundancies. Q&A's become a bit like an internal marketing / PR exercise. Constant change gives the impression that senior mgmt do not know quite what they are doing.

Continue reading

"Impressive place to work. So far, I feel lucky to be here."

Current Employee - Cloud Architect in London, England

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent work-life balance and flexibility. It seems to be only limited by the clients, but that is understandable as CR is a consulting company. Interesting and challenging technologies and projects. Technical skills development support and promotion. Easy access to the know-how gathered by CR consultants. Excellent knowledge base. Great atmosphere, it is a pleasure to be in the office and work with the people there. Leadership and senior management seem to listen to us, and they have taken action more often than I have seen elsewhere. Cloudy lunches are an excellent opportunity to meet and talk to the colleagues; it is great bonding initiative. The office kitchen is stocked better than my own, and any other place I worked at! WOW!

Cons

Company policy requires the use of Google Office Suite, and its limitations impact my productivity and prevent me from utilising the skills I have acquired over 15-years of work with MS Office suite. Frustrating! Not sure about career development opportunities, on the one hand, the company grows, and there should be plenty of opportunities, on the other nothing is clear about the process. In general, the benefits are disappointing and limited. In a way it is accentuated by the fact that CR lists a laptop and phone as benefits; I would argue these are tools! Limited space in the office and single screen workstations. Cloudreach does not enjoy brand and recognition as other consultancies, and this might somehow affect the future career opportunities outside of the organisation.

"Smoke and mirrors"

1.0

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time

Pros

The offices are great, when you get to see them on Friday. TGIF! Cloudy lunch is a good way to catch up with people, even if it always makes you feel like a poor student. Guess I’ll enjoy the free water. Beer tap is cool, when there’s beer in it. Cheers! Sparkling water tap is nice, when there’s CO2 left in the tank. Guess I’ll enjoy the tap water again. Mini fridge is great if you like Coke, or Diet Coke. Great health initiative. Shared fridge is awesome, when it has more than milk in it. Cuppa? Personal development time is good. Hope you don’t mind spending it on lunch and TGIF.

Cons

People hired years ago in technical positions have been promoted into leadership positions, irrespective of their lack of leadership skills. As a result high level management is a joke. Diversity and inclusion should be known as smoke and mirrors. The global compensation review has been promised for over a year, still no action whatsoever. The reported average engineer salary is 50% below market. They can’t even afford new laptops that cost as much as the daily rate for an engineer. Old laptop owners are asked to keep them longer "due to budgeting constraints".

Continue reading

"An incredible place to work"

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time

Pros

Tl;dr: I love working at Cloudreach. The people are great. Anyone who’s interviewed here knows it’s hard, and we get it right on the whole. That means smart, energetic people who want to make sh*t happen, in all parts of the business. I love that. That energy and drive needed to grow and adapt year and year isn’t seen in most companies. I've met a lot of people here I regard as friends, which is the best indicator perhaps of cultural fit. Linked to the people, I love the culture. People are friendly, and the company tries hard to foster matrix relationships - with cloudy lunches, quarterly/kick off trips, birthday parties, etc all frequent and way more inclusive than one sees at other organisations. I saw some comments last weeks that most companies have “sales kick offs”. We take the whole company, which I think is critical to our culture. On the “work” side, I enjoy the fact we have a pretty broad spread of clients across multiple industries, and of all shapes and sizes. I also love that we are success, and continue to be the leaders in most things that we do. Salary and benefits are pretty good - increasing year on year, although we’re not quite there vs. a multi-billion dollar “GSI” yet - but equally, this is a much more pleasant and dynamic place to work - in my view, pretty much free of the politics and nonsense you see elsewhere.

Cons

Is it hard work, as others have noted? It certainly can be. That’s what happens when you grow a company, but I feel we’re doing it in the “right” way - e.g. if I can’t do something due to time and flag that up, it’s fine. No one stays late to impress their boss - but they may work late because they care about achieving something. The working arrangements are pretty flexible I should say, depending on whether you’re with a client or not. Having said that, it’s not for everyone. If you want to work somewhere relatively static, and with clear well documented processes, that’s not here right now. Cloud is red hot, and we’re growing fast as we capitalise on this (before someone else does). Linked to that growth, people do (accidentally) step on each other’s toes a bit in terms of remit currently. That’ll settle down as the roles bed in, but you should bear it in mind if you prefer a really clean and well documented role vs. other people. I don’t recognise the issues being written previously - makes me wonder sometimes if it’s another company they’re writing about accidentally (or intentionally!), but at 500 people, I guess we can’t all know each other well. What I do know is that I’ve spoken to several of the leadership team, from Pontus down, and all are committed to making/keeping this a great place to work - so please do shout up to one of them, they can probably help with whatever challenges you can see. Claiming that CloudreachCares doesn’t exist (as an example) was one thing I read last week. That’s utter BS - we’ve given thousands in both monetary and time commitments to charity. I agree the suggestion process could be clearer and maybe we need to be more transparent in terms of what’s been given, but just “get involved” rather than posting some bile on the internet. It’s easy to solve, like most things in life, with a conversation.

"Cloudreach"

I have been working at Cloudreach full-time

Pros

Every Friday cloudy lunches in a restaurant close by the office. Uncapped holidays are true (although not sure how long this will continue to be for).

Cons

When they advertise new MacBooks, do not expect brand new ones fresh from a box. MacBooks tend to be used ones and may be second or third hand. Salary is relatively low compared to other companies in Edinburgh. With all the bonuses they promise to give out, you would be surprised to hear if people actually receive one throughout the year. Extremely similar to call centre work (service desk), be prepared as job description does not reveal a lot.

Found 30 reviews