Co-op Customer Service Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 21 reviews

2.2
Co-op CEO Steve Murrells
Steve Murrells
  1. "Customer Service Assistant"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Corsham, England

I worked at Co-op full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really helpful, fun and friendly staff. Probably the best thing about the job/

Cons

Sometimes felt a lack of leadership from superiors as well as the feeling of a lot of bureaucracy.

Co-op2016-04-06
  2. "Ok but hard work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England

I worked at Co-op full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team good offers and discounts

Cons

Hard work long shifts very few staff

Advice to Management

More staff would make the place tick over better

Co-op2019-05-20

May 31, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you would not recommend us. We are currently rolling our MyWork app to help support our store colleagues and better manage the time of our teams. We would definitely recommend talking to your manager about your working hours.

"Too much politics."

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England

I worked at Co-op part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you have a problem at work, let's say for instance, you're facing discrimination or bullying at work, you can contact the head of department by email and they will arrange a face to face meeting to do what they can to help you out. They will take action quickly.

Cons

-You've to get used to the drama at work from those who've been working there for years. -You can work for years without getting a chance to move up the ladder.

Advice to Management

It will be nice if they can work on getting rid of in-store drama and politics. It's also not a great idea to employ several people who speak the same language other than English to work at the same store.

Co-op2018-12-03

February 4, 2019.

Thank you for your review. As an employee, you were able to contact our HR team on 0330 606 1001 if you had any urgent issues you wished to raise. ^Sam

4. "Average"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Derby, England

I have been working at Co-op part-time for more than a year

Pros

most staff are friendly and easy to get along with

Cons

Expect you to be free to work 24/7, expect your life to revolve around the co-op, understaffed and can get very busy - strict budgets for staff and overtime so won't employ people when they need them, will work you to the ground if you let them

Advice to Management

Employ more staff, ask before changing contracted days/hours, more lenient with holidays (December specifically), stop expecting staff to work 24/7

Co-op2018-10-10

October 16, 2018.

Hi, thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear that you're not enjoying your experience with us. You should be paid for the time you work and if that is not the case you need to take this up with HR. ^Sam

"Overall not good"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant

I have been working at Co-op part-time

Pros

Good amount of paid holiday and staff discount for shopping

Cons

Arrogant and disrespectful managers who try to fiddle on the system and shave off hours you have worked. I am amazed and disgusted at how widespread this behaviour actually is among store managers. Not only have several managers at my store done this, i have heard from other employees in other stores that it happens to them too. The company is also trying to turn the working environments in the shops into what you see...

Advice to Management

There is no advice as the entire retail food industry is rotten. Ethics are a fascade. Its all about profits, profits and more profits for those at the top.

Co-op2018-01-10

February 19, 2018Social Media Content Planning Manager

Thank you for your review. I'm concerned to hear about your claims of you not being paid hours that you have worked and ask that you raise this immediately with HR and if you know of fellow colleague who have experience this they also need to do the same so this can be looked into. ...

"Wish I had never bothered."

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Manchester, England

I worked at Co-op full-time for more than a year

Pros

Four weekly pay None other than that. None whatsoever. I’m only writing this as they won’t let me continue others. Literally no more pros.

Cons

No compassion if you end up on the sick and wish to return on lower hours due to the illness being chronic. Very obstructive in allowing me to return to a different role of different hours without a fully competency based interview. This is their idea of reasonable adjustments. I was held back from returning for months for them to tell me this was my only option. Treated terribly.

Advice to Management

None. I don’t think you can fix these people and the way they manage people on long term sick.

Co-op2017-10-24

November 6, 2017Social Media Content Planning Manager

Thankyou for your review. I'm concerned to hear this, your manager should have worked with the HR team to see what support they can offer you with your new needs. I hope you raised your concerns with the HR team at the time so they could look into this. ^Catherine

7. "Discount card"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Keighley, England

I have been working at Co-op

Pros

Good at working around thier staff

Cons

When starting with coop i was not advised of the fact that you only get 2wks wage in the first month

Advice to Management

I was just wanting to know when do new staff get their staff discount cards.

Co-op2017-02-10

February 12, 2017

Hi there, You need to apply for your colleague membership card. Please ask your line manager for details. Thanks, ^Sophie

8. "Co-op"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Co-op

Pros

Generally treated well by management, able to switch shifts amongst lower ranking staff

Cons

No real complaints but can be hard to sort out holidays

Co-op2016-04-09
  9. "Unprofessional management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Nottingham, England

I worked at Co-op

Pros

Good flexibility in shift pattern

Cons

Unprofessional management who had their favourites (tended to be the females who were the favourites; management was very male heavy).

Advice to Management

Be more strict on professional values and take more care about who you promote.

Co-op2016-01-04
  10. "Work at co-op"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Southwater, England

I have been working at Co-op

Pros

Great time at work, staff all so friendly and lovely, very good pay and rota idea

Cons

Managers stressing people out to get work, can be a bit unsociable.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing us so much that your stressing us out making us angry towards customers for being so stressed.

Co-op2015-10-11