Co-op Sales Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Co-op CEO Steve Murrells
Steve Murrells
  1. "Co-op Food"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Wembley, England

I worked at Co-op part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance Good holidays

Cons

Poor senior management team Poor location

Co-op2017-09-18

Co-op Response

November 6, 2017Social Media Content Planning Manager

Thankyou for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear you wouldn't recommend the Co-op to others despite enjoying the work life balance and holidays you receive. I hope you flagged the issues you had with your management at the time so that these could be looked into and resolved. ^Catherine

2. "mid-range , ethical"

Customer Sales Assistant in Bristol, England

I worked at Co-op for less than a year

Pros

good staff and work-place culture

Cons

prices are too steep

Advice to Management

price competitiveness

Co-op2017-03-17

Co-op Response

March 17, 2017

Thanks for your feedback. ^Sophie

"Unpleasant Experience"

Sales Assistant

I worked at Co-op for more than a year

Pros

- 10% General staff discount, 20% once a month. - Overtime usually available if employees want it. - Manager usually sorted out holidays when requested and was even flexible in terms of short-notice holidays/switching shifts. - Some customers were nice and fun to talk to.

Cons

- Anti-social hours, my contract shifts included working till 11PM every Saturday and Sunday. - They give low hours part-time contract and supplement with overtime, so you don't get as much holiday as you should. - No 2x or 1.5x pay on bank holidays and they still open normal hours on (most) bank/national holidays (7am-11PM) - Colleagues very unprofessional, immature and cliquey. Will make life difficult if... you don't conform to their immaturity. - Upper management refused to employ a security guard despite the fact the shop was having goods worth £50-100 being stolen on a daily basis. - Multiple times fraudsters would get away with stealing a cigarette packet or multiple, this happened to me twice and other members of staff other times (I even went running after one of them to try and retrieve them against better judgment). Having someone for security on the door would greatly deter this in the first place but they'd also be able to catch blatant thieves trying to run out by just standing there. - Staff were expected to be both sale assistants and security guards at the same time but the layout of the store meant if you were on one side it was near impossible to know what was going on the other side of the store. For example, in the late evening when only two people were working before close, the supervisor would usually be out back in the office or tidying the warehouse. This left one person on the shop floor for anything up to an hour at a time to supposedly monitor the whole shop which was near impossible. If the shop-floor member of staff is facing up on the end isle with the alcohol, the first isle (Meat section) is out of sight/sound and so if a thief is quiet or quick enough it was near impossible to know about it/catch them. - I was threatened by customers multiple times and not taken seriously by management when reporting it: One occasion a gang of 15+ teenagers gathered in the shop around 10PM when only two members of staff were working (myself and a 20 year old woman, this is the standard number of people on shift for 10PM). After my best efforts to stop a huge amount of chocolate being stolen was threatened with violence by a few of them at once and had one in my face squaring up to me threatening to punch me. This group would come back once a week for a few months to steal stuff before the police finally started to come around to the shop to deter them. Another occasion I was threatened with violence by a customer for refusing to serve his daughter (who I ID'd as she looked under 21, she looked about 16) who was trying to buy him his cigarettes. He told me to 'watch my back' when I left the store because 'him and his friends would be waiting'. Explained all this to the manager but felt I wasn't taken seriously as nothing was done about it, apparently an abusive customer is more valuable than a staff member trying to follow procedure. Nothing violent happened in the end but whenever him and his family came in after that they would always act rude to me or make sly comments about me. - One of the supervisors got away with pretty much anything (turning up late repeatedly, phoning in sick more often than anyone else could, napping at work in the office, doing minimal work while everyone else did his) because he was close friends with the manager. If anyone else did anything close to what the supervisor did they were punished pretty much immediately. - Putting in extra effort into the job absolutely meaningless as it is never praised or even noticed. Being more matey with the manager seems more important to progress there than putting 110% into your job. - As mentioned above, many shifts were expected to be done with two people maximum (sometimes from 5PM to 11PM). On busier days this was highly unrealistic as one staff member would be stuck on till while the other one tried to get through the large list of jobs, sometimes we were working 30 minutes past closing time to finish everything, which was unpaid of course. - Automatic doors and security system malfunctioned occasionally, meaning the supervisor had to phone Co Op support and wait for them to arrive to fix it before they could head home. This meant they were still waiting in the shop at 1AM a few times. Problem took months to be properly fixed despite numerous 'repairs'.

Advice to Management

- Security guards are not only to prevent goods from being stolen, they are help staff members physical and mental well-being. The sooner you realise this, the better. - If a staff member comes to you with a legitimate concern you should take it more seriously instead of dismissing it. Especially when it's something as seriously as being phsically threatened.

Co-op2016-05-11
  4. "It was a stepping stone that helped me be who I am."

Former Employee - Customer Sales Assistant in Lymm, England

I worked at Co-op full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Definitely the discounts. Making friends/Family. And seeing (most) customers daily made you smile. Also building confidence in someone that couldn't even walk to the shop on her own 6 years ago

Cons

It's hard graft...don't care what anyone says. I'm 24 and I worked in our shop for 6 years, I no longer know what it feels like not to ache haha.

Advice to Management

Staff are your friends not your enemy.

Co-op2015-10-11
  5. "Very good company to work for"

Customer Sales Assistant in Leicester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Co-op

Pros

Great management, they treat you like a person not just an employee. All of the other members of Taff are really friendly. Management are open and honest about what's going on in the store.

Cons

The only con I can think of would be the early start but nothing can be done about that it's all just part of the job

Co-op2015-07-21

"good part-time but highly disorganised store management"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Co-op part-time for less than a year

Pros

flexible work, staff discount, decent pay

Cons

bad delegation of tasks, poor work culture

Co-op2014-10-28
  7. "absolutely hated this job! Had to get out ASAP!!"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Sheffield, England

I worked at Co-op part-time for less than a year

Pros

Only thing i enjoyed was when i had the opportunity to work with people I got along with, which was rare as most staff were severely depressed most of the time (no surprise really) , so no pros really.

Cons

Management is incompetent, have no clue how to work as a team or run a team. They make sure all the best shifts are taken by them and would never dream of working nights. Asked to work extra hours almost every shift. Would be called throughout the week and asked to cover shifts, sometimes an 30 minutes before the shift was due to start (you were expected to say yes every time) I was provided with no till training... or any other type of training, just expected to work it out for myself. I would do something wrong and then be told how to do it right instead of being shown the correct way in the first place. The way the management would talk in front of customers and fellow staff was highly inappropriate (swearing, inappropriate sexual references)

Advice to Management

Get rid of current management as they haven't the first idea what they are doing.

Co-op2014-08-20
  8. "I love my job at the Coop!"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England

I have been working at Co-op part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible working hours, really useful

Cons

Sometimes there is pressure to safe hours and we are short of staff

Advice to Management

Offer for training for employees who want to progress further

Co-op2013-05-01