Co-op Store Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Steve Murrells
  1. "Great"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Burgess Hill, England

I have been working at Co-op full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits pay pension and discount

Cons

Long hours and anti social customers

Co-op2019-06-15
  2. "-"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Horsham, England

I have been working at Co-op full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good internal development path way

Cons

Expectation to work well above contracted hours

Co-op2019-10-09
  3. "Average Employement"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Leeds, England

I worked at Co-op full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Easy to manage work life balance. Set systems that helped things run effeciently most of the time.

Cons

Lack of control due to those systems, sometimes you need some human involvement. The pay is pretty poor for a store manager, I took a step down when I changed job to assistant manager and took a pay rise! Severally understaffed, your budgets don't allow you the people to get the jobs done to the standard I'd like. Old premises in most places always in need of repair, repair companies do bodge jobs and you've no... control over contractors used or price paid. You very much just tick a few boxes, you're more of a rule enforcer as opposed to the manager and leader of the business.

Advice to Management

Allow some freedom to managers to run the business rather then using them as messengers of rules and procedure. Pay your team a fair wage. Invest in labour, you may be surprised by the results of having that extra person at work each day.

Co-op2019-10-05
  4. "Used to care about us, but now more bothered about the community!!!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Co-op full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Reasonable salary Flexible hours of working Good line manager We do loads of great things for the communities!

Cons

We used to have health care (scrapped!) We used to have regular double discount on all products (Scrapped - maybe twice a year now) We used to get great bonuses based on KPis (now a fraction of what they used to be) Colleagues used to get a yearly bonus (Scrapped!) Hours slowly being drained out of stores, each little technological advancement results in less and less hours in store. Christmas party fund out of... date & needs reviewing ..It has been £10 forever. We used to have a reward website for colleagues exceeding their role (Scrapped & replaced with a Thank you email!) Slowly killing morale in stores & killing the staff, especially managers who have to pull the slack & work for free - diluting our salaries Team leader pay is pathetic for what they have to do!

Advice to Management

Start thinking about the colleagues in stores a little more, Re-introduce health care Do for the colleagues what we have done for our communities Pay team leaders more Stop stripping any more hours out of the stores, the job used to be enjoyable, but its getting less & less a place I want to go to every day!

Co-op2019-09-05
  5. "People are amazing, Job is unforfilling"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Co-op full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great People Job progression Multiple Roles and Opportunities

Cons

Work Life Balance Long hours Working with the general public can be demanding

Advice to Management

Don't.

Co-op2019-09-04

"Don’t work there"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Enfield Lock, England

I worked at Co-op full-time for less than a year

Pros

No pros staff were good

Cons

No staff long hours health and safety really bad

Advice to Management

Make it better not safe to work in co-op

Co-op2019-09-21
  7. "Challenging but rewarding"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Co-op full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Career progression up to Store Manager Level, further than that becomes challenging due to lack of opportunities if you're not located in the Manchester area. Salary can be good if you're coming in from an external retailer. The CEO leadership cannot be faulted.

Cons

Like all retailers the hours in store are getting tighter. Can feel less and less like a manager nowadays as you'll be shop floor filling at least 90% of the time. Some struggle to manage a team in that environment.

Advice to Management

Although we understand the requirement to strip hours from the business some of the "efficiencies" introduced to counter act this are more time consuming than before. Listen to the team on the front line more.

Co-op2019-08-14
  8. "Tough but rewarding"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Co-op full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great business for Community engagement

Cons

Hard work all the time.

Advice to Management

If you think your going in to this job to sit down behind a desk, think again!

Co-op2019-07-30
  9. "Great people to work with"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Inverness, Scotland

I worked at Co-op full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good team work and great with community

Cons

Area managers and higher very ignorant and thinking about themselves, no support when needed, facilities management very poor making staff to work even when direct health and safety issues

Advice to Management

Stop false promising and start to help your teams. Very poor communication and blame atmosphere on every step. Everyone at store level working following One Best Way but why higher management doesn't which leads to confusion and lack of trust in Coop values

Co-op2019-08-13

"Hypocritical company"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Co-op full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It’s a wage that’s all

Cons

Too many field managers not enough store colleagues constantly cutting hours under the guise of taking tasks off colleagues then a few months down the line the tasks re appear under a different format but guess what no extra hours to do them. Too many people scared to complain because this is being negative. Store management expected to be available 7 days a week at the beckon call of the area manager. Expected to... use own phone for work business and attend meetings on your days off. While field management have numerous pointless conferences stores can’t have enough staff to do all tasks that need doing and feel safe. If it doesn’t affect field management then it’s not a problem

Advice to Management

Try running a one on one convenience store for a week without having the staff to do everything for you you might just see what the reality is not some glossed up version of it given by the suck ups and people in fear for their jobs

Co-op2019-09-02